Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

There was one result from yesterdays events that some can learn from.

That is the trends from social media do not necessarily govern the way the electorate will vote! There is no doubt some element of age bias in the use of social media. The twitter maps we saw linked to and certainly the amount of Facebook 'likes' for the yes and no campaign are very indicative that what we see on social media does not necessarily point to the current voting trend. 

As a democratic nation, both young and old, rich and poor had their say yesterday. We can be proud of that. Social media made a lot of noise no doubt but some of the things spurred on this thread and elsewhere just did not point to the correct trend in the end. 

At the end of the day, its the people on the day of polling who will speak at the end of the day and when that pen is put to paper, not when one puts a finger to the like button on facebook!

• Like 2
    Posted

Yes, back so soon, but I did say I would only pop back when I though Westminster politicians weren't playing ball. Well, i didn't have to wait long...

So, any No folk expecting a quick move towards Devo Max/further devolution are living in cloud cuckoo land and will no doubt be ashamed by their vote soon enough. Here is the latest from the Labour Party leader...

Ed Miliband signals that he will not sign up to the prime minister's plan to give more power to the Scottish Parliament at the same time as trying to agree new powers for English MPs.

While accepting the need for reforms, the Labour leader says that he wants a process of debate to begin before the general election but - crucially - he calls for a constitutional convention to finalise reform to happen later, in the autumn of 2015.

David Cameron had earlier said changes to address the so-called English question - to allow English MPs the same powers over England-only legislation that the devolved parliament and assemblies will have in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast - "must take place in tandem with, and at the same pace as, the settlement for Scotland".

So, no concenus with the Tory's already and nothing of note to happen for A YEAR at least. Even then, that's just the talking starting, which would drag on for years and quietly fade away.

Westminster are laughing at the region of Scotland.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Very disappointed today but also accept the result.   I too will be taking a holiday from this thread.  The debate has been mostly good natured.  However the trolling from certain people, in the last week or so, means its time to leave.  

If the UK is so better together why the anti Scottish comments?  If you dont like Scotland why come on to a Scottish politics thread?

I agree. Anti-Scottish and anti-English comments all add up to zero; genuinely proud Englishmen and Scots have no need to do the other down...

Posted

Congratulations to all who voted yesterday! It was as immense as it was intense.

To those who voted YES, we have to work together for the best we can achieve within the UK.

To those who voted NO I sincerely hope you know what you voted for.

To those South of the border, thanks for the input and views expressed. We shall all see what the future holds for the UK. I believe it can change but only if apathy is cast aside and we all get involved.

I'm out for the day to get my head together and take in the broad prospective and enjoy the company of the wee fella. As you all know I voted for him and what I thought was best.

Not often I quote myself but I've picked myself up (with the help of the wee fella) dusted myself down it's now time to start all over again

Neither recrimination nor gloating will help either Scotland or rUK. We have to go forward.

Whilst it is fairly clear that if there is still appetite for change in Scotland, whether it be full on indy or Devomax, Scotland desperately needs its own independent media and bank if we don't want to become a tartan shortbread colonial outpost of Westminster and, whilst it might have heard our voice it is by no means certain it will (or even can) deliver on 'The Vow'. Sadly anyone can make a solemn vow but still have affairs behind the bike shed.

Delivery is the key here. In the meantime we must civil and reasonably patient. What will NOT be acceptable is protracted negotiations for a few crumbs off the top table until the oil runs out.

The wee fella's future is secure, he is loved and so is Scotland and at the end of the day that is all that really matters.

Edit: I'm also keeping my wee YES badge as a memento - I might need again some day!

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Much more nuanced map there compared to the completely monotone green/red from last night (does 'monotone green/red' make sense?).

OK I'm going to take the lead of some of the others and bow out for a bit. For a start 1.5hrs sleep in the last 32hrs = one very tired and cranky poster. I also need to take a break from all this referendum/politics stuff so weekend off at the very minimum. After that I'll see where things stand, both for time and enthusiasm.

Posted

Yes, back so soon, but I did say I would only pop back when I though Westminster politicians weren't playing ball. Well, i didn't have to wait long...

So, any No folk expecting a quick move towards Devo Max/further devolution are living in cloud cuckoo land and will no doubt be ashamed by their vote soon enough. Here is the latest from the Labour Party leader...

Ed Miliband signals that he will not sign up to the prime minister's plan to give more power to the Scottish Parliament at the same time as trying to agree new powers for English MPs.

While accepting the need for reforms, the Labour leader says that he wants a process of debate to begin before the general election but - crucially - he calls for a constitutional convention to finalise reform to happen later, in the autumn of 2015.

David Cameron had earlier said changes to address the so-called English question - to allow English MPs the same powers over England-only legislation that the devolved parliament and assemblies will have in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast - "must take place in tandem with, and at the same pace as, the settlement for Scotland".

So, no concenus with the Tory's already and nothing of note to happen for A YEAR at least. Even then, that's just the talking starting, which would drag on for years and quietly fade away.

Westminster are laughing at the region of Scotland.

That is to do with Labour's selfishness as usual, they're worried that the next election will be close and without the voting powers of their Scottish MPs in Westminster they'll essentially have a minority. For all the Tories and DCs faults, at least they're being pretty diplomatic about this. Labour can do one as far as I'm concerned, many of the issues we currently face a nation are solely down to them and the fact that a few hours after the result they're already backtracking shows they aren't ready for power again no matter how dire the coalition are.

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I agree. Anti-Scottish and anti-English comments all add up to zero; genuinely proud Englishmen and Scots have no need to do the other down...

Given that Tory rebels can't get a throth at the mouth Eu referendum through, I'm not sure what makes you think Cameron won't get at least the Scottish bit through.

I'm sure one coalition or majority will have it.

Autumn 2015 is still earlier than your independence so I'm not sure what your whining at.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The wee fella's future is secure, he is loved and so is Scotland and at the end of the day that is all that really matters.

Ditto. Wee fella came running in this morning to see if Yes had won. Was disappointed when I explained they hadn't. He asked "When can we do it again?". I said "Not sure, 20 years maybe, we'll see.". His reply "......I'll be 27 then, that's OK". That's when I cried.

Right, just 'did a MS' and popped back in. Not again!

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Given that Tory rebels can't get a throth at the mouth Eu referendum through, I'm not sure what makes you think Cameron won't get at least the Scottish bit through.

I'm sure one coalition or majority will have it.

Autumn 2015 is still earlier than your independence so I'm not sure what your whining at.

Did you quote the wrong post there, Summer B? :cc_confused:

Posted

That is to do with Labour's selfishness as usual, they're worried that the next election will be close and without the voting powers of their Scottish MPs in Westminster they'll essentially have a minority. For all the Tories and DCs faults, at least they're being pretty diplomatic about this. Labour can do one as far as I'm concerned, many of the issues we currently face a nation are solely down to them and the fact that a few hours after the result they're already backtracking shows they aren't ready for power again no matter how dire the coalition are.

I think Labour are a dead duck in Scotland as is The Daily Mirror's token rag, the Dreadful Record.

But, everything will be OK, we still have East Enders, Corrie, Big Brother, X Factor and repeats of Dad's Army to keep the Natives from getting restless again.

Posted

Did you quote the wrong post there, Summer B? :cc_confused:

Yes, should have been MS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Salmond is stepping down !

I am happy Scotland has decided to stay with us. It seems that the majority have voted for prudence and reality over ideology and the fantasy land of milk and honey, unicorns and fairies that the SNP were selling.

There's been a lot of division over this vote but I hope those from both sides can shake hands, put their ideologies and egos aside and work for each other. Blessed are the peacemakers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Got a link to that?

He's speaking live on BBC news 24 frogesque.

Posted

Shame about Salmond, thought he'd see out his term. May not have liked his politics but he's a jolly politician and food at his job.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

BREAKING NEWS: Salmond to resign as first minister.

Posted

Breaking News

Posted at 16:09

Alex Salmond is to stand down as First Minister.

If true not surprising, Nicola Sturgeon will make a fine FM though she can play hardball when needed but is generally less abrasive. She is also a VERY smart cookie, don't underestimate her.

He's speaking live on BBC news 24 frogesque.

OK, thanks.

• Like 1
    Posted

Well done No voters, one of the few Scottish politicians with the where with all to take on Westminster, you must all be proud. At least the Salmond haters will be pleased, although they will soon become Sturgeon haters.

Pare man, must be heartbroken.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

It's all a bit sad. Salmond was a good politician with his ethics in the right place. There was so much political manoeuvring over the last weeks of the campaign, that less aware voters were probably spooked into a "no" vote. As I said last night, I have no real commitment either way and don't really know the country (I've been once to Edinburgh, Stranraer a few times to cross to Ireland and back years ago, and Ben Nevis once!), but I hope the result is what people want and didn't just think they wanted.

The implications for the Basque country and Catalonia will be interesting...