Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Are you being deliberately difficult?

Scotland, England, Wales, and NI are countries which form a single country: a country of countries. It is one of the things that make the UK unique.

Negative, Wales is a Principality, Northern Ireland is a Provence and Scotland just voted to say it wasn't a country but a region depenent and at the behest of the only country left, England.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

No, England is a country, as far as I'm aware it hasn't voted in a referendum to say that it isn't. Scotland has a regional parliament at the behest of the national English parliament (English dominated).

Can you name me another great country that allows another country to give it pocket money and decide whether it gets more powers or not? That sounds like a region to me.

Well I guess it's you against the constitution. You could use the same argument forward about any EU/Euro state and it would be equally invalid. I'm sorry, but we disagree. I don't think that means either of us don't love Scotland nor indeed the 3.6million or so who voted for what they thought was best.

Edit. Re your post above AFAIK Wales has now been recognised as a country rather than a Principality?

Edited by doctormog
    • Like 3
    Posted

No, England is a country, as far as I'm aware it hasn't voted in a referendum to say that it isn't. Scotland has a regional parliament at the behest of the national English parliament (English dominated).

Can you name me another great country that allows another country to give it pocket money and decide whether it gets more powers or not? That sounds like a region to me.

Wales. Before you belittle anyone else. The problem is you and one or two others started believing your own hype at the expense of a little reality and now the bitterness is creeping in.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A resounding victory for democracy and for Scotland, a good boot in the proverbials for UK politics, hopefully a catalyst for clarity and improvements nationwide.

Cameron was right let the referendum go ahead as per his soundbite this morning, his explanation of following the democratic process in accepting the mandate of the SNP general election in interview on Monday, I feel was one of his genuine moments as a politician.

What was wrong was the devo max being off the cards making it an all or nothing vote. For this reason, any perceived 'division' within Scotland has been furthered by the nature of the ref. question.  This question now extends to the rest of the UK and it will be of great interest to see where we go from here with respect to how devolution of powers is negotiated.

This is a clear outcome for No and the 1.6 million ( so nearly 50% of Scotland) who favour Independence will pick up and get on with a renewed attention and interest in politics, not only within Scotland but UK wide. The great majority of Scotland will be busy working on reconciliation and looking ahead.

Ironically we are now looking for Scotland's own people being Better Together now, rather than divided.  This thread should not close, we have more events to follow in earnest and also General Elections on the horizon.. 

It would be nice to read a little less bitterness and a little more respect on this thread this morning on both sides as a start to the process of reconciliation.

• Like 6
    Posted

None of that is Devo Max Joe?

Looks like your vote was wasted already. Come this time next year you'll be on here on bended knee seeking forgiveness for your vote for Westminster.

Ironically, some of the more disgruntled supporters on the 'Yes' side are eclipsing the No campaign when it comes to scaremongering!

Scotland was never going to radically change in terms of wealth/culture/quality of life in the short and medium term regardless of the outcome this morning. I can happily dismiss your predictions of doom.

Edited by Harve
    • Like 2
    Posted

Well I guess it's you against the constitution. You could use the same argument forward about any EU/Euro state and it would be equally invalid. I'm sorry, but we disagree. I don't think that means either of us don't love Scotland nor indeed the 3.6million or so who voted for what they thought was best.

Edit. Re your post above AFAIK Wales has now been recognised as a country rather than a Principality?

Where is the Welsh seat at the UN?, can you link me to the constitution please?

If Scotland were a country it would have 13 seats in the EU, as a defined region of the UK, it only gets 6.  

Ironically, some of the more disgruntled supporters on the 'Yes' side are eclipsing the No campaign when it comes to scaremongering!

Scotland was never going to radically change in terms of wealth/culture/quality of life in the medium term regardless of the outcome this morning. I can happily dismiss your predictions of doom.

I've never said that it would. What it would have had is a more socially responsible government who weren't all millionaire Oxbridge toffs.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Doc,

Why are you calling Scotland a country?, has it not just voted to say that it wasn't an independent country but a dependent region?, Unless I missed something.

Ha ha, there you go already Joe!, that didn't take long.

Scotland is not dependent, it pays its way with oil revenue.

The UK is a union of the Scottish and English nations with the manufactured state of Northern Ireland.

• Like 2
    Posted

Scotland may not be a great country but it is most certainly a country. It is also one of the most important regions of the UK. Perhaps the best description of Scotland is that it is a great region.

Posted

So, turning to next year's GE will the SNP lose seats to Labour or will SNP support hold up? Any views?

I reckon support for the SNP will increase next year and in 2016! They might have lost the referendum but as a party, their reputation hasn't taken any blows and they will continue to be one of the few effective alternatives to/protest against the main 3 parties.

Also 55% of the Scottish voters who chose No can now vote SNP - if they lean to the centre-left - without 'fear' of them pushing independence during the next parliamentary session. I'm not sure when the question of independence will seriously pop up again like it has in the last ~10 years, but the scope for it to do so will be greatly reduced for a while.

Edited by Harve
    • Like 1
    Posted

Morning fellow countrymen.

I see that some YES voters have been spouting there tripe and bile in here this morning already.

Which just goes to show that despite what you claimed to be as being, honest, fair, clean, respectful, no lies telling blah blah blah it turns out actually you are no better than anyone else after all, maybe even worse?. But lets face it, it seems most of the people already new this anyway by firmly telling YES no we don't want you ruining our country.

Delusion and anger and the refusal to listen to anyone that didn't share the same views as the YES campaign could turn out to be a big reason why you didn't win.

When the chips are down people show there true colour and by jingo some of you haven't disappointed this morning or all the way throughout the YES campaign to be honest.

That is all :-)

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
    • Like 7
    Posted

I reckon support for the SNP will increase next year and in 2016! They might have lost the referendum but as a party, their reputation hasn't taken any blows and they will continue to be one of the few effective alternatives to/protest against the main 3 parties.Also 55% of the Scottish voters who chose No can now vote SNP - if they lean to the centre-left - without 'fear' of them pushing independence during the next parliamentary session. I'm not sure when the question of independence will seriously pop up again like it has in the last ~10 years, but the scope for it to do so will be greatly reduced for a while.

They've plenty of room to pick up seats in 2015 but I highly doubt they'll gain vote share in 2016.

Posted

Scotland is not dependent, it pays its way with oil revenue.

The UK is a union of the Scottish and English nations with the manufactured state of Northern Ireland.

It pays its way with plenty more than oil revenue. The difference is, it gives it all to Westminster and get the loose change back to spend.

The UK is an unequal Union of a regional Scotland with an English country which dictates to Scotland exactly what it will and won't do. Even these "promises" are at the behest of the English MP's, quite a few of whom have already stated they want to cut the Barnett formula. 

Even then, any agreed changes can be overuled by the governing party after the next GE.

• Like 1
    Posted

You shook up the Westminster Government enough to act to devolve more powers to Scotland with more speed than any of us can remember it doing anything constructive before.

Ah, but the Westminster Governement have only said they are going to act. Some on here seem to think that Westminster politicians are trustworthy.

Many English MP's have already said on your bike. They already feel Scotland are subsidy junkies.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Scotland decides to continue being a region of England. Never again can we blame the people of England when it goes wrong up here in the future. Some truly selfish, gullible and cringe-worthy people just made foodbanks a permanent fixture. Hope you are proud of yourselves.

Why are we to blame? Don't bring us English into the same arena as the politicians who run Westminster.

It's this sort of thing which I reckon fuelled the yes answers too sadly.

A number of Yes voters from in here are very silent this morning. Either in bed or ungracious in defeat sadly.

But now is the time for coming together, not dividing.

Now for one thing, I will be glad to see the back of the words no and yes being in flippin' capitals all the time! Lol

Edited by Costa Del Fal
    • Like 4
    Posted

Congratulations to all who voted yesterday! It was as immense as it was intense.

To those who voted YES, we have to work together for the best we can achieve within the UK.

To those who voted NO I sincerely hope you know what you voted for.

To those South of the border, thanks for the input and views expressed. We shall all see what the future holds for the UK. I believe it can change but only if apathy is cast aside and we all get involved.

I'm out for the day to get my head together and take in the broad prospective and enjoy the company of the wee fella. As you all know I voted for him and what I thought was best.

• Like 8
    Posted

Ah, but the Westminster Governement have only said they are going to act. Some on here seem to think that Westminster politicians are trustworthy.

Many English MP's have already said on your bike. They already feel Scotland are subsidy junkies.

I doubt you could name anyone on here who trusts Westminster politicians so this just your usual bluster. But yes I trust them when their self-interest is threatened by overwhelming public opinion. The daren't not act or they are dead in the water.

• Like 7
    Posted

You may take our lives but your never take our...................... Er well oops never mind LOL.

Just a bit of banter :-)

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Sit back and wait. If you're convinced that the Westminster vow is all lies then sit and wait. If we get to the point that we can see it has all been a pack of lies that's when to come back out fighting. In the meantime get behind the more powers idea. I'm going to do this, although I will start pushing and seeking answers if/when they look like they're coming up short. Use this defeat wisely.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just found this on Twitter - poll breakdown...

Very interesting 4 out of the 6 age demographic sets voted Yes. With 2 voting No. Not sure what the population figures are for each set and if this carried weight for the final 400K margin.

As per expectation the weight of the vote for 55+ is huge for No. Still think the pensions element was a key factor in this set of results.

post-7292-0-01741000-1411118358_thumb.jp

Labour voters 63% to 47% provides another dynamic, I think Brown's speech may have moved that from being a closer result, in the end not a huge difference between men and women.

I wrote earlier this morning that this may be indy put to bed for a generation / forever, based on the table above I think I may be wrong writing that especially with DevoLite now in play and already serious questions about what exactly it will deliver.. Indeed if any of it can be delivered.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Apart from 1.6m Scots and the SNP feeling understandable disappointment this morning Labour may well have taken a bashing....

the PM came out of Downing Street to announce that the changes promised in the last few days would be accompanied by measures to deal with the "English question".

The hugely controversial issue of whether Scottish and Welsh MPs should continue to be able to vote on solely English matters - English votes for English laws, or the age-old "West Lothian question" - would be dealt with at the same time.

The issue will be overseen by the Commons leader, William Hague, who will convene all-party talks. Labour now faces a tough choice over whether to agree to the process. It could rob them of a majority after the election in key votes, including votes over a Labour government's budgets.

But if Ed Miliband stands in the way, he could be accused of obstructing the Scottish changes. Cameron said that the devolution powers would be agreed by November, put in a draft bill by January and implemented in the next parliament. Quite how all this will happen in the few months running up to the election is not clear.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

So the future of Scotland was denied by those who don't have much future left. Democracy?, sure.

Fair?

So block the over 60s from voting? With age comes wisdom. But I won't get into that.

All I will say is that letting all vote IS a democracy.

• Like 6