Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Scotland decides to continue being a region of England. Never again can we blame the people of England when it goes wrong up here in the future. Some truly selfish, gullible and cringe-worthy people just made foodbanks a permanent fixture. Hope you are proud of yourselves.

You are referring then to the majority of your kinsmen. If they are all that gullible then my analysis of that would be that the YES campaign failed to gets it message across. Edited by kar999
    • Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Well done to the No voters and campaigners and also to the Yes voters for their hard fought campaign. I feel quite relieved that the UK is not going to be broken up, and I think it will be a good thing if alongside Scotland's further devolution that England will have increased powers to govern itself.

I always thought that the majority YES support in this thread was unrepresentative of the true percentage and I am relieved to see that that is the case - it is not a case of who shouts loudest and longest but the number of crosses that are achieved in the ballot box.

Let's hope that all Scots can accept the result - get together and then work with the Union to keep the UK where it should be.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

See my post just before yours. Anyway, it works both way. I've seen a lot of posts here dismissing promises made by UK politicians. Give them a chance!

I agree, but its usually easier to be gracious in victory than in defeat. Especially when the defeated are so obviously hurting.

Posted

Oh and I've skipped a page or two but a bit of graciousness from the 'winners' on here wouldn't go amiss.

I'm relieved, that's all. It was the wrong proposition from the politicians, too hurried, poorly considered, with fundamental flaws; and to be honest, letting down those grass-roots activists who worked so hard to support the 'Yes' campaign. There will be lessons to be learned for next time, and they're pretty clear lessons.

I feel intense sympathy for everyone who threw themselves  into the cause, and see themselves as defeated - but the success of their efforts - and of the No campaign too - is the degree of engagement of the Scottish people  that has been achieved over the last  month, when the electorate  could very easily have become disenchanted and bored by the end of a very long campaign. the amazing turnout underlines this. I've been amazed, and heartened  too.

There were lots of things from 'yes' that worked wonderfully well. The flaws that there were, which became evident, through the campaign and in retrospect, will all be possible to correct  if devo-max (or whatever  it is) doesn't deliver, and the Scottish people continue to seek true independence. 

Interesting times ahead - and hey, we're owed a good winter after last year, when there was almost no snow at all in Falkirk. Hope springs eternal..

• Like 3
    Posted

Well I have no sympathy for those who have just sold their country down the river on an empty promise.

I just hope the result is not another Thatcher style apocalyptic destruction of the region of Scotland.

• Like 1
    Posted

One thing this does show is what a misleading waste of time canvassing and social media "likes" are in terms of judging what the electorate are thinking.

• Like 3
    Posted

Although highly sceptical myself I agree, they have to be given a chance to follow through on their promises. By all means shout loudly if they fail to do that. Don't expect it to be instant either, a year or two minimum may be reasonable.

Cameron said Lord Smith of Kelvin had agreed to oversee the process of devolving more powers over tax, spending and welfare to Scotland, with draft legislation by the end of January. So that's the first timetable

If they mess this up again they will have alienated Scotland for good and I think this has been a wake up call

Posted

One thing this does show is what a misleading waste of time canvassing and social media "likes" are in terms of judging what the electorate are thinking.

Indeed, like many of us said the silent majority would sway the vote not the 25% who are on forums, social media etc

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

Indeed, like many of us said the silent majority would sway the vote not the 25% who are on forums, social media etc

as I mentioned here a Cpl months ago..those who are undecided always vote for what they know in the end and again it has happened here..seems the vast majority of don't knows at the end voted no.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Well that wasn't a surprise, so I'm not as upset as I could have been. Two factors I would blame for YES losing are firstly the currency issue and secondly the promise of new powers for the Scottish Parliament from the NO camp. The whole currency union debate was needless, pointless and simply muddied the waters. What was the theory behind it? How can a country be independent without its own currency? It should have been a clear cut "we'll have our own currency" and that's that. I will save judgement on the NO campaign until after we see what the new powers are. If the new powers are as far reaching as have been promised then I'll hang up my independent hat. If not then the NO vote will have won with lies and propaganda. There's been some pretty vicious comments from both sides already this morning. It's bad enough being a sore loser, but worse being a sore winner. Let's at least not all lose our dignity, along with the vote.

• Like 9
    Posted

Cameron said Lord Smith of Kelvin had agreed to oversee the process of devolving more powers over tax, spending and welfare to Scotland, with draft legislation by the end of January. So that's the first timetable

If they mess this up again they will have alienated Scotland for good and I think this has been a wake up call

None of that is Devo Max Joe?

Looks like your vote was wasted already. Come this time next year you'll be on here on bended knee seeking forgiveness for your vote for Westminster.

Posted

As predicted, Scotland has voted 55/45 in favour of NO. I would urge those YES supporters who have been most vocal on this site to be gracious in defeat. At the moment many of them don't seem to be posting at all. Congratulate the victors and work with them for a better Scotland and a better UK.

Posted

As predicted, Scotland has voted 55/45 in favour of NO. I would urge those YES supporters who have been most vocal on this site to be gracious in defeat. At the moment many of them don't seem to be posting at all. Congratulate the victors and work with them for a better Scotland and a better UK.

Many have posted, and most will be at work after a late night. See my post above :)

Posted

So, turning to next year's GE will the SNP lose seats to Labour or will SNP support hold up? Any views?

The SNP looked to be well ahead, it'll be interesting to see what happens now and we've not really got long to wait.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Glory to Scotland and glory to the UK.

Turns out at 44.7% I'd have been better not upping my prediction.

Big decider seems to have been wealth. Wealthy SNP areas (relative to the Scottish average of income and unemployment) while the SNP did get Glasgow before getting thumped by Edinburgh.

Very glad that my birthplace constituency surprisingly voted No and that dome on here were far too biased.

I feel happier today than I did with the Tory win of 2010.

Lets petition for more Scottish economic powers and embrace Scotlands future as part of a glorious union.

In the end for me I turned because of the white paper. Scotland has rejected left wing separatism.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers

bbc norman smith has just tweeted his sources say there will be no devo max , just an extension of existing reponsibilities !

interesting to see what will be offered.   :closedeyes:

• Like 1
    Posted

Scotland is a wonderful country as part of the UK or as an independent nation.

Doc,

Why are you calling Scotland a country?, has it not just voted to say that it wasn't an independent country but a dependent region?, Unless I missed something.

bbc norman smith has just tweeted his sources say there will be no devo max , just an extension of existing reponsibilities !

interesting to see what will be offered.   :closedeyes:

Ha ha, there you go already Joe!, that didn't take long.

• Like 1
    Posted

Doc,

Why are you calling Scotland a country?, has it not just voted to say that it wasn't an independent country but a dependent region?, Unless I missed something.

Are you being deliberately difficult?

Scotland, England, Wales, and NI are countries which form a single country: a country of countries. It is one of the things that make the UK unique.

• Like 4
    Posted

Doc,

Ha ha, there you go already Joe!, that didn't take long.

Because it is a country? It voted not to leave the United Kingdom. I'm guessing following that logic you believe that England is a region?

It is not just a country it is a great country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Well that wasn't a surprise, so I'm not as upset as I could have been. Two factors I would blame for YES losing are firstly the currency issue and secondly the promise of new powers for the Scottish Parliament from the NO camp. The whole currency union debate was needless, pointless and simply muddied the waters. What was the theory behind it? How can a country be independent without its own currency? It should have been a clear cut "we'll have our own currency" and that's that. I will save judgement on the NO campaign until after we see what the new powers are. If the new powers are as far reaching as have been promised then I'll hang up my independent hat. If not then the NO vote will have won with lies and propaganda. There's been some pretty vicious comments from both sides already this morning. It's bad enough being a sore loser, but worse being a sore winner. Let's at least not all lose our dignity, along with the vote.

I would agree entirely wrt the currency. Next time, (probably a generation away) any Independent currency should have a clear cut path as what the plan would be. I do feel sorry for the YES campaigners who truly believed that their vision was the best one. I may not agree with much of what BUS (and others) had to say regarding Independence but one has to respect his passion for the cause , even if it was bordering on the extreme at times.  I say pick yourselves up, and harness that great amount of energy and enthusiasm into making Scotland a better place for all, especially with the increased devolution promised.

• Like 1
    Posted

Because it is a country? It voted not to leave the United Kingdom. I'm guessing following that logic you believe that England is a region?

It is not just a country it is a great country.

No, England is a country, as far as I'm aware it hasn't voted in a referendum to say that it isn't. Scotland has a regional parliament at the behest of the national English parliament (English dominated).

Can you name me another great country that allows another country to give it pocket money and decide whether it gets more powers or not? That sounds like a region to me.

• Like 1