Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Heard people being turned away Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy saying they had already voted. I think it has been reported to the police. Patchy info but must be something going on.

It's might be something to do with their dwelling being registered for postal voting. This came up in one of the recent general elections when BBC attack dog John Humphrys found he couldn't vote on the day because everyone in the building had received postal ballots. If one person in a building decides to have a postal vote, it's assumed the rest of the residents also want that and they won't be allowed to vote in person.

If it's not that, what on Earth does it say about the democratic process?

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

That photo could be from anywhere or any time in all seriousness! I have zoomed in until I have screen sized pixels and it is still un clear what type of 'salute' they are doing or when?

Here is another one for the yes campaign to use as it has a union jack also, just don't tell anyone its from an old pompey demo and the hand signals seem clearer for you. :hi:

attachicon.gifPATRIOT.jpg

the photo could be from anywhere yes but I had friends in George square last night and I can assure you it was from there it was rangers bigoted fans with all the neo Nazi hate and that coming down to start a fight on behalf of the no side the yes side had already been there for ages having a peaceful get together and if they weren't turning up for trouble why have U.V.F stuff with them

Posted

Reasoned debate. Many of the elderly have been sorely excluded from the discussion. Few have access to social media and the like.

The wrinkly bus pass holders I've spoken to are well aware of the issues. Surprising how internet savvy some of them (us lol) are.

One of them even has a nice little earner going on evilbay lol

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I fink we cud win Eurovision guys, I really do xox

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The younger generation (generally) have much more access to social media, to unbiased sources (I watched BBC News and I was astonished at the bias last night), and to therefore more knowledge/information; and these 25-34 year olds in particular are voting YES in droves. The more info, the more you lean to yes.

I meant nothing of 'electoral euthanasia' or whatever some people insinuated. NorthernRab summed it up.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Reasoned debate. Many of the elderly have been sorely excluded from the discussion. Few have access to social media and the like.

That's a rather broad-brush and dismissive statement, there are probably loads in the over 65 bracket who are probably more social media savvy than me or you. Once you start dismissing people from voting based on assumptions and stereotyping then you are going down a very dark road.

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Final polls...

Panelbase: 45Y-50N

Opinium: 45Y-49N

ICM: 41Y-45N

Survation: 44Y-48N

Youguv: 45Y-49N

Ipsos Mori: 47Y-49N

Average: 45Y-49N

TNS was 38Y-39N but released on the 4th (no further polling to come) so i excluded it.

All polls released in last two days.

Posted

The younger generation (generally) have much more access to social media, to unbiased sources (I watched BBC News and I was astonished at the bias last night), and to therefore more knowledge/information; and these 25-34 year olds in particular are voting YES in droves. The more info, the more you lean to yes.

I meant nothing of 'electoral euthanasia' or whatever some people insinuated. NorthernRab summed it up.

Please don't write me off - I'm not ready for the rocking chair and slippers in the sky :nonono:

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

well, from here, well south of the border, the enormity of the result later on tonight is hitting home....The, perhaps, most important night in British politics culminates on a simple vote......to all my friends in Scotland, I wish you all good luck, and regardless of the result, change is coming....it's just a question of how soon

Exactly! I hope things work out whatever happens. My students have been asking me all week "what do you think" - the honest answer is I don't know. Whatever the people of Scotland want, I guess. I just hope the folks in charge are competent enough to drive whatever strategy ensues, because they're not necessarily you  know...

Posted

Please don't write me off - I'm not ready for the rocking chair and slippers in the sky :nonono:

Hahah I'm always going down a slippery slope by generalising; but the truth enough is that 25-64 year olds generally have more access to social media and a great wealth of unbiased information, usually more so than 65 and over.

I'm going Y49-N51 but I really hope not.

Posted

You don't need social media to be educated. You can discuss, you can read ect..

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Bus some people like to make excuses for some people. We know the truth. These hard line Rangers UVF people are the shame of Scotland. Dog turd as far as I am concerned. They were there to promote unionist anti catholic bigotry. Whether some people like it on here or not the Union Flag is used as a weapon of bigotry in Scotland. Its why I just can't help but feel sad and depressed when I see that flag. I know what it means up here!

• Like 3
    Posted

I said you want electorial euthanasia because you said "the future needs to be decided by the future" and to me, and others, that reads as the young deciding the future. If you don't mean that what did you mean?

• Like 1
    Posted

Done a straw poll round a cou[le of local polling stations. No idea of actual vote but the turnout is amazing. Busy since first thing and families are still trotting out with the kids despite a pretty awful day of haar and drizzle. All brilliant stuff!

• Like 1
    Posted

Heard people being turned away Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy saying they had already voted. I think it has been reported to the police. Patchy info but must be something going on.

sounds like more vote rigging could be going on in that area it happened before did it not

Posted

I said you want electorial euthanasia because you said "the future needs to be decided by the future" and to me, and others, that reads as the young deciding the future. If you don't mean that what did you mean?

Policies for the future can be decided by anyone; the No campaign has been fought on looking at the past, and the union, and being scared and fearful of change; whilst Yes has been one of hope and progressive politics. I know which ones will be more relevant in the 21st century.

• Like 1
    Posted

Hahah I'm always going down a slippery slope by generalising; but the truth enough is that 25-64 year olds generally have more access to social media and a great wealth of unbiased information, usually more so than 65 and over.

More access to a complete load of tosh, much of which ends up in here.

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It's the fundamental principle of democracy. If you deny the vote of someone in their late 60s who is a well educated on politics as someone below that age, and that person goes on to live for another 40 years then they would have spent all that time without a say. Democracy in my view would have failed.

BTW I agree with the lowering the voting age to 16. There are many many people at that age who have the maturity to make independent decisions, likewise there are many over that age who do not.

It's a yes. Women allowed to become members at St Andrews after 250 years. Things are a speeding up in Scotland.

About darn time.

Edited by Captain shortwave
    • Like 1
    Posted

Bus some people like to make excuses for some people. We know the truth. These hard line Rangers UVF people are the shame of Scotland. Dog turd as far as I am concerned. They were there to promote unionist anti catholic bigotry. Whether some people like it on here or not the Union Flag is used as a weapon of bigotry in Scotland. Its why I just can't help but feel sad and depressed when I see that flag. I know what it means up here!

yeah the hatred that comes from them is not real I have had a few run ins with the more hard line in my life and what they stand for I really don't believe in at all that's why my tattoos are what they are through this hard line element and letting them know what I really think of them

Posted

we have had a YES car driving about here all day with big megaphones on them encouraging people to vote and we just had a no supporter chapping the door asking if we had voted and she is going round to make sure everyone who can vote does so

Posted

Are the queues anywhere such that voters might be turned away at 10pm?

I believe rules here are different, what happened in some English constituencies in 2010 where you legally need to have ballot paper in hand by 10pm to vote should not occur tonight as if you are in the queue before 10pm you are entitled to vote. However don't chance it - get out and vote in plenty of time!

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 2
    Posted

todays social media interaction

post-18233-0-48775600-1411064809_thumb.j

• Like 3
    Posted

its on facebook that a polling station has already closed in Falkirk due to it already achieving a 100% turn out and that was 2 hrs ago it was posted