Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Comes to something when 16-34's are strongly yes, 35-64's slightly yes and over 65's strongly no; the future needs to be decided by the future.

You're advocating electoral euthanasia.

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Andy Murray lives in England.

If you don't believe me, go take a look at this article then:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/11104498/Andy-Murray-sides-with-yes-for-Scottish-independence-in-referendum-and-risks-nose-dive-in-popularity-stakes.html

At least he is sides with Yes.

Edited by pip22
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

You're advocating electoral euthanasia.

No, he's not.

Posted

No, he's not.

Well, it seems to me he's saying the old shouldn't be allowed to vote. But, of course, I could be wrong.

What is he saying?

Edited by Devonian
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Well, it seems to me he's saying the old shouldn't be allowed to vote. But, of course, I could be wrong.

What is he saying?

I think that he is trying to say that wisdom comes with age.

• Like 1
    Posted

Comes to something when 16-34's are strongly yes, 35-64's slightly yes and over 65's strongly no; the future needs to be decided by the future.

What age do you consider it appropriate as the cutoff for disregarding peoples opinions? Brings to mind GBS, "youth is wasted on the young".

Edited by knocker
    • Like 4
    Posted

I think that he is trying to say that wisdom comes with age.

It looks like the opposite to me unfortunately. "The future needs to be decided by the future" suggests the young (the future) should decide things and not the old, but then its a daft statement so who knows what the said person meant!

At least it wont ever happen and people of all ages votes are equal here.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

What age do you consider it appropriate as the cutoff for disregarding peoples opinions? Brings to mind GBS, "youth is wasted on the young".

There was a debate earlier about what age people should be allowed to vote from. Disregarding this referendum why is it that a 16 or 17 year old can get married, have kids, pay tax but can't vote?

I think everyone over 16 should get a vote, even the wrinklies :)

Some humour to keep us going:

10646915_10203456618590427_6562047880455

Posted

What is he saying?

That the elderly should maybe consider what the younger generation wants. Whether they do or not as their choice.

• Like 2
    Posted

It looks like the opposite to me unfortunately. "The future needs to be decided by the future" suggests the young (the future) should decide things and not the old, but then its a daft statement so who knows what the said person meant!

At least it wont ever happen and people of all ages votes are equal here.

But some are more equal than others.

• Like 1

OK, so here's the shopping list of what I've just been and got in to keep me going tonight:

One huge Sainsbury's own meat feast pizza

Tub of Pringles

4 packets of biscuits

Tea bags

Sugar (for Mrs Catch)

John Smith's Smooth x 12 (not sure about boozing yet, but it was going cheap)

Papers & baccy

Milk

Ibuprofen

Bacon

Rolls

Cleaning products for when it gets really boring at 3.40am...the bathroom can get a clean

There was other stuff but I wouldn't want to bore ya all :D

Might get supplies of popcorn in for if the No side wins. Should be a helluva show

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif      giphy.gif

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A night of history is upon us. I'm still in my bed, preparing myself for staying up all night watching the results come in. 

Catch - if the result is favorable, i think it would be only fair to finish that crate of beer and go buy some more ;) Due to the fact that i've drank everyday for 7 nights now i most certainly won't be joining in. The term 'hinging' has never described a situation better.

I did sway back a bit over recent days (irrelevant since i had already voted). The fantastic speech by Gordon Brown was exactly what the no camp needed about 2 months ago. It might be enough but it's very late. This 'emotional' NO argument has been almost entirely missing up to this point.

I know a few of my flatmates have softened their stance or have changed to YES. I'd say it's 50/50 split between my close friends. 

My prediction is a narrow YES. Something in the region of 52% YES. 

It would be a bit deflating to have a NO now from a personal point of view. Although, i'd love to see the reaction and devastation of some incredibly annoying people on my news feed if it were to be a NO.

This thread has been - and i hope will continue to be - fabulous, in it's analysis and general quality of debate. I do hope some English people (rUK for that matter) have learnt from this thread. It's obvious by the remarks on one of the statuses put up on the main page of the forum, that  some have not been viewing it. Their ignorance and failure to understand why this debate is taking place, is (imo) the reason why today may be the mast day of the union. The belief that rUK funds our free tuition fees and prescriptions and non-privatised healthcare service. These assumptions have been thoroughly trounced on this thread on too many occasions to mention. 

I hope we can all be civil about this, if it were a YES vote. With regard to defence, currency and just general co-operation between all the nations that inhabit the 'british' Isles. 

Going to be a cracker of a night regardless :)

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

So does Sean Connery but I think he'd prefer to remain a tax exile from both Scottish and rUK taxes!  

So much for snide remarks about Tory millionaire MP's in Westminster..... :whistling:  (sorry ... just a bit of a wind-up... couldn't resist... :bomb:

Neil Connery, himself a retired actor, said: “I really don’t believe he will be making an appearance this week in Scotland.â€

Asked about the whereabouts of his brother so close to the vote, he replied: “There’s only a certain amount of days Sean can be in the country for tax reasons, so I know that he intends to use them wisely.â€

Asked if his brother’s health was part of the reason for his absence from the campaign trail he replied: “No he’s just fine.

Edited by kar999
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Vote cast. Queuing out the door at polling station at 5.30pm. Had to wait full 5 mins to vote. Never seen the likes before! C'mon Yessers!

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Anyone else heard about discrepancies in Kirkcaldy/Glenrothes area?   WoS site receiving reports from people on twitter saying that some people who turned up to vote were turned away being told that they have already voted by post?   Maybe nothing (hopefully)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

well, from here, well south of the border, the enormity of the result later on tonight is hitting home....The, perhaps, most important night in British politics culminates on a simple vote......to all my friends in Scotland, I wish you all good luck, and regardless of the result, change is coming....it's just a question of how soon

• Like 1
    Posted

That the elderly should maybe consider what the younger generation wants. Whether they do or not as their choice.

So that's what 'the future needs to be decided by the future' means then? I beg to differ on that.

Edited by Devonian
    • Like 1
    Posted

Vote cast. Queuing out the door at polling station at 5.30pm. Had to wait full 5 mins to vote. Never seen the likes before! C'mon Yessers!

Are the queues anywhere such that voters might be turned away at 10pm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Maybe the elderly are making the correct choice. Who has the right to say who is right or wrong? 

Edited by Captain shortwave
    • Like 6
    Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Heard people being turned away Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy saying they had already voted. I think it has been reported to the police. Patchy info but must be something going on.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Extreme left center - appears to be a purple NO banner Could have been p-shopped in but don't think so

I'm sure when I saw the pic first last night it was a U.V.F flag

Posted

Maybe the elderly are making the correct choice. Who has the right to say who is right or wrong?

Reasoned debate. Many of the elderly have been sorely excluded from the discussion. Few have access to social media and the like.

• Like 1
    Posted

Anyone else heard about discrepancies in Kirkcaldy/Glenrothes area?   WoS site receiving reports from people on twitter saying that some people who turned up to vote were turned away being told that they have already voted by post?   Maybe nothing (hopefully)

I personally had no probs this morning. Everything smooth and good naturedly civil outside too.