Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

The Donetsk People's Republic says YES.

post-1808-0-37994500-1411044811_thumb.jp

post-1808-0-22408700-1411044830_thumb.jp

and you get their armed support as well  :crazy:

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I'm tempted to put a bet on a yes vote so I have something to be cheerful of either way but my gut says it will be a no vote so I'm not sure its a wise bet? :wallbash:  :cc_confused:

Posted

For what it's worth.

Evening Standard Ipsos poll out today:

Scotland was dividing 53 per cent "No" to 47 "Yes" in a nail-biting finale, pollsters Ipsos MORI revealed in the most up-to-date survey of the entire referendum battle, exclusively for the Evening Standard. Four per cent of Scots who are certain to vote are still undecided.

Posted

Here's more NO voters who are so scared and intimidated by the YES campaign that they've resorted to making Nazi salutes:

10450836_771206272924888_888399167059083

To me it just looks like they chanting peacefully with police holding both sides apart just in case its just camera is more focused on the 'NO' side of the police wall.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

For anyone who has Facebook this is worth a flick through:

https://www.facebook.com/nnriaz

Tonight, I witnessed first hand the low levels that the #BetterTogether campaign has dropped to in East Pollokshields. Lies, bullying and intimidation of folk into voting No. Let it be the choice of the people how they wish to vote - there is no need for lies or intimidation. Our job is to give the correct information and act in an open transparent manner AND we are proud to have run this campaign... with dignity and respect for everyone. Take a bow Scots Asians for Independence - every single one of us has been a credit to the campaign.
    Having power or prestige does not entitle anyone to call other people names. I am far from stupid Mrs ***** and I am deeply offended by you telling people they will lose their benefits, their passports, their rights to travel if we vote Yes. I am deeply offended by your argument that we will not survive without the rest of the UK. I assure you we can. No more fear. Vote for hope. More than that I am disgusted at you disempowering people especially women from taking that one opportunity to empower themselves and take a stake in the country that is their home. Intimidating the most marginalised people in society. You support nothing good about society. Shame on you.

To me it just looks like they chanting peacefully with police holding both sides apart just in case its just camera is more focused on the 'NO' side of the police wall.

Should've gone to Specsavers?

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

bookie from hell says:

18 September, 2014 at 1:45 pm

unsourced

Leaked Edinburgh postal vote result has 58% for Yes.
    Both Sky and the Telegraph published the leak on their respective sites then wiped them again. Currently trying to source some screen-shots.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

bookie from hell says:

unsourced

Both Sky and the Telegraph published the leak on their respective sites then wiped them again. Currently trying to source some screen-shots.

Umm…. except aren't the postal votes still not yet counted, until after 10pm tonight? 

It would be highly unusual to count postal votes before polling finishes. If it were happening, it's so unusual I'm sure it would ahve been mentioned somewhere in the multitude of articles explaining the count and how it will be carried out, and the several interviews with the staff involved… 

• Like 2
    Posted

Yep Bleak not sure. The strange thing is it being put up and then quickly removed! Very odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

bookie from hell says:

unsourced

I'd seriously doubt the validity of that rumour. Although postal votes have been being received and cross-checked to ensure they are valid they don't get counted until tonight! It's not impossible that someone working on opening them could get a rough estimate but 58% seems too precise to be plausible. I believe even the people designated from the No or Yes camps to oversee the postal ballot opening aren't allowed to see the actual vote on the ballot.

Anyway, quick visit to the nearest local polling station to my work that I'm allowed to visit officially yielded a 27% turnout as of 13:45. That's based on the total eligible votes the PO told me for that ward. Now I think that will include postal voters and I know roughly how many of them there are, so if I assume 70% of the postal voters have voted, the turnout for the ward would be just short of 40% already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Yep Bleak not sure. The strange thing is it being put up and then quickly removed! Very odd.

I suspect Sky and Telegraph quickly removed them because of the strict rules that disallows broadcasters to report details of campaigning until after the polls close. 

Their information goverance people, or laywers probably had a panic attack and got them removed.....

Posted

If it is a yes vote I win £130  (to cover loss of second bet if it goes pear shaped) :rofl:

I win £250 if its a NO vote and Celtic beats saltzburg tonight.  :clapping:  :clapping:  Celtic better win now if they do I'm guaranteed £70

Edited by mullender83
    Posted

Those voting Yes, what will you do if the result of the referendum is No? Will you continue to campaign for independence, seek another referendum, just accept it and move on?

There will be another referendum if/when the people of Scotland want one. The constitutional question is not going away, a narrow no vote will intensify it if anything because you will have not just those who vote YES today but a large portion of those who voted No standing behind DevoMax. Add that to the fact that we will go into a Westminster election where voting SNP could make a difference rather than merely be seen as a protest vote and we do indeed live in interesting times irrespective of the outcome tonight.
    • Like 2

There will be another referendum if/when the people of Scotland want one. The constitutional question is not going away, a narrow no vote will intensify it if anything because you will have not just those who vote YES today but a large portion of those who voted No standing behind DevoMax. Add that to the fact that we will go into a Westminster election where voting SNP could make a difference rather than merely be seen as a protest vote and we do indeed live in interesting times irrespective of the outcome tonight.

They thought that in Quebec though after an extremely narrow win for the No vote. 19 years later and still no second referendum and seemingly no sign or appetite for one either?

Maybe people won't want to go through all the divisions that have been opened up by this referendum again (apart from the hardcore Yes supporters). Will Salmond and the SNP and even survive if they fail in their objective?

Edited by Bobby
    Posted

Those voting Yes, what will you do if the result of the referendum is No? Will you continue to campaign for independence, seek another referendum, just accept it and move on?

I can't speak for all YES voters, so this is what I will do after a NO vote. Accept the result, wait to see what new powers are granted and when they are granted. If the new powers are as far reaching and quick as promised then work within the new powers and see how it goes. If the new powers fail to materialise or aren't far reaching, then it'll back to campaigning for independence, louder and stronger than this time.

The desire for a YES vote should in theory increase over time, given the 65+ age group is so strongly against it. Unfortunately they will have to start popping off the mortal coil at some point.

Given the closeness of the vote I'm not sure the vote really settles that much either result? I very much doubt that any YES voters will see a NO vote and think "Ah well, that's it. UK all the way now", similarly a YES vote won't have the same affect on the NO camp. Very interesting times ahead.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I think people will continue to campaign for change, because I'd say even a lot of No voters will agree that change is needed. I suppose it would depend on exactly which of powers the Westminster parties have promised do actually end up being delivered. I'm a pretty ardent Yes but even I would be reluctant to go through the whole process again in the near future. I think what some of our neighbors from the south may forget that it may only have been an issue there for the last 2 weeks or so but it's been a big issue in Scotland for around 2 years now. Most of us are drained.

Edit: CatchMyDrift said it much more eloquently.

Edited by Ravelin
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

it may only have been an issue there for the last 2 weeks or so but it's been a big issue in Scotland for around 2 years now. Most of us are drained.

Yes… 

Two things that will be different for me: I'm moving to live in England. And I've really had to soulsearch about who the heck I am and what I believe to be true and important. 

And it's made me determiend never again to sit back complaining for twenty years while my country moves further and further to the right until it reaches the situation it is now, where over TWO THOUSAND russian "super-rich" live in London paying minimal taxes because the government contains over twenty millionaires who like to be surrounded by their own kind...

I'm never stepping back and washing my hands of it all again. If I want a country with social justice, fairness, equality of opportunity, and a widespread belief that care and support and *enough* [income/ healthcare/ whatever] are there for all according to their needs and from all according to their abilities, then it's MY DUTY to work to gain and protect those things. Wherever I live. Whatever the country is called. 

• Like 5
    Posted

Yes… 

Two things that will be different for me: I'm moving to live in England. And I've really had to soulsearch about who the heck I am and what I believe to be true and important. 

And it's made me determiend never again to sit back complaining for twenty years while my country moves further and further to the right until it reaches the situation it is now, where over TWO THOUSAND russian "super-rich" live in London paying minimal taxes because the government contains over twenty millionaires who like to be surrounded by their own kind...

I'm never stepping back and washing my hands of it all again. If I want a country with social justice, fairness, equality of opportunity, and a widespread belief that care and support and *enough* [income/ healthcare/ whatever] are there for all according to their needs and from all according to their abilities, then it's MY DUTY to work to gain and protect those things. Wherever I live. Whatever the country is called. 

:clap:

On yourself BMW :)

I'm hoping one thing which will continue post-vote is the increasing engagement we're seeing all round. I hope we don't sink back to apathy again.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

No, it's the Red Hand Salute. Google if you want an insight into the mind of a bigot. Rangers' fans used it ever so tastefully at an away match in Israel.

Posted

Does that also apply if it's a narrow YES? i.e., will there be another referendum if there is demand?

• Like 1
    Posted

I love him, my youngest son is named after him.

Bawheid is an awful name to call a child! (Sorry, sorry - I think the haar and the waiting has rotted my brain)

It's strange how John McEnroe could get away with murder on court but Andy Murray is either the darling if he wins but the devil incarnate if he looses. And Hell mend him if he cracks a joke.

Ah well - back to politics :nea:

• Like 1
    Posted

Mullender your ignorance is astounding. It's the militant salute of the anti catholic bigots. You have to understand Scotland to understand what these people are like. They are scum!

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I have done my bit, for what good it'll do: I've watched Braveheart twice this week... :yahoo:

Mullender your ignorance is astounding. It's the militant salute of the anti catholic bigots. You have to understand Scotland to understand what these people are like. They are scum!

Indeed...

• Like 1