Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

The UK General Election does not elect the Scottish Government!

Yes I know, but so to speak you had a chance to as a protest vote i guess make the SNP outright winners in Scotland but didn't, but all of a sudden now you want your own goverment. In fact the SNP only just beat the Conservatives!!!

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Under 18's will vote the same way they would always vote in a situation like this - they are angrier and more right wing by their nature, seen less of the world and many think the world owes them a favour which leads the under 18's to one way of voting in this election (yes) which I have no doubt as to the reasons it was pushed forward for this election..

The reduction in voting age for the referendum was passed with an overwhelming majority in the Scottish Parliament, SNP, Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and several independents voted for it, only the Tory party stood against it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

After this election is done maybe (if no wins)  we can have a referendum in England as to if we want Scotland to be part of the uk anymore   :whistling::hi:

Maybe we should start building that wall up again....

post-8911-0-40881300-1411039332_thumb.jp

Edited by mullender83
    • Like 3
    Posted

........to the civil aviation authority? This is UK wide.

Maritime and Coastguard agency?

To the British Standards Institute with their famous kite mark?

Scotland will surely have to found a Scottish Standards Institute, if she leaves?

Edited by Weather-history
    • Like 3

The reduction in voting age for the referendum was passed with an overwhelming majority in the Scottish Parliament, SNP, Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and several independents voted for it, only the Tory party stood against it.

Do you know whether future Scottish elections will also be reduced age?

If not it could be seen as quite cynical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Historian and star of the amazing BBC series Coast has written an open letter to the people of Scotland. 

I will lay my cards on the table from the start: I will be voting No.

I have no economic argument to make. Frankly, I am sick and tired of hearing people argue the toss about the pound, pensions and the rest. I am voting No because for me, the offering by the Yes camp lacks nobility and humanity. Even more importantly, it lacks class, far less any kind of panache.

Having spent years working on the television series Coast, I think it’s fair to say I’ve seen as much of this United Kingdom of ours as anyone else living here. It’s a project that has changed my life in several ways. It has certainly caused me to fall in love with the place – the whole place. Circumnavigate these islands as I have, as often as I have, and one thing above all becomes clear: the national boundaries within are invisible and therefore meaningless.

People living in a fishing town in Cornwall have more in common with the inhabitants of a fishing town in Fife than either population has with the folk of a town in the Midlands. They have a shared experience and a common history of coping with lives shaped by the sea. The coast is another country – the fifth country – and it unites us and binds us like the hem of a garment.

The differences that are discernible as you travel around Britain are regional ones – made of accents and architecture, geology and geography. I am all in favour of people having the power to make decisions about their own patch: but I am utterly opposed to the idea of breaking centuries old bonds in order to make that happen."

10644441_728822797201364_809050242862523

….and on much the same grounds I've just cast my vote for NO, after much thought and questioning and reading. 

• Like 8
    Posted

Do you know whether future Scottish elections will also be reduced age?

If not it could be seen as quite cynical.

All but the Conservative party support setting the voting age at 16 in Scotland, and the 2016 election would have a voting age of 16 if it is a yes vote today. If it is a no vote, then Westminster has to amend the 1998 Scotland Act to effect the change in voting age for all Scottish elections.

It will be very difficult for the UK to justify to those who will vote today but will be barred from voting next May.

Edited by skifreak
    Posted

I've not voted yet, but will be going later to add to the 'no' tally. Seems to be that upwards of 18% have already voted, and it's barely lunchtime!

I've read a lot on social media about voters making a 'journey', mostly in the direction of yes. I haven't done that, but I have moved my stance, particularly in the last couple of months, as the extent of Scottish societal engagement in this referendum has become evident. A year ago I was a hard no - I believed that Scotland would never have the interest to be fully self-governing and to hold its leaders to account appropriately. However, I've changed my view, and now think that if a more careful and managed approach was taken, working with rUK instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, that Independence could and should happen in the medium-term.

I still hope fervently for a 'no' this time around. If we get a 'yes' my entire working life will be turned upside down, and not in a good way - this could possibly be skewing my view a little ;-). But if it's a narrow 'no', change - and not just devo max - will come sooner rather than later. If it's the right change, managed in the right way, that will be a good thing for Scotland and the Scots - and for rUK - and it's a change I'll be much happier to embrace.

• Like 3
    Posted

Me done and dusted! YES on side of the van. Poll station at St. Ninnians, Glenrothes had a queue outside at 7.00am when it opened and polling was steady when I got there at nine. Both YES and NO outside but it was friendly and good natured.

My most pertinent observation was on leaving, a very young looking lady came down to vote with what I guess was a three year old clutching her hand. So great to see it!

WE CAN DO IT!

• Like 2
    Posted

But if it's a narrow 'no', change - and not just devo max - will come sooner rather than later.

I tell you this in all honestly, Westminster will NEVER give up the oil revenues to Scotland. NEVER.

Enjoy your vote though, feeling a bit deflated that I don't have one.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So the results start to come in from 3am I believe?

I might stay up and watch them come in if it is televised live?

Posted

I tell you this in all honestly, Westminster will NEVER give up the oil revenues to Scotland. NEVER.

Enjoy your vote though, feeling a bit deflated that I don't have one.

We can do it without oil - it would be more difficult but Westminster is already broken and no amount of greasy palms or oily backhanders will stop us having control of what is rightfully ours if it's a YES.

Can you imagine the uproar though if Westminster tried any dirty tricks?

• Like 1
    Posted

Best voting experience I've ever had.  Great 'chat' at the polling station, lots of serious smiles if that makes sense...

• Like 3
    Posted

Best voting experience I've ever had.  Great 'chat' at the polling station, lots of serious smiles if that makes sense...

Same in Glenrothes. If anything the NO guy - nice young lad early 20s or so - looked a bit resigned. With the drech haar I think he would have prefered a hot bowl of soup!

Posted

So the results start to come in from 3am I believe?

I might stay up and watch them come in if it is televised live?

First results should come in earlier than that, maybe 12.30-1am. Their only counting YES and NO after all.

However, it should be fairly clear even before the results come in simply from the piles of Yes and Nos sitting in their piles before counting who the winner might be.

Posted

I'm hoping to find a bellwether region so that I'm not having to stay up to 7am French time for the big city declarations.  For Scots what should I be looking at in terms of a region that will suggest a national trend?

Is this possible or is there a distinct uniqueness that means big cities won't follow a certain trend.

Would north Lanarkshire be a good bet, I've read that's of particular interest or is there another region that might be better?

Edited by nick sussex
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Historian and star of the amazing BBC series Coast has written an open letter to the people of Scotland. 

I will lay my cards on the table from the start: I will be voting No.

I have no economic argument to make. Frankly, I am sick and tired of hearing people argue the toss about the pound, pensions and the rest. I am voting No because for me, the offering by the Yes camp lacks nobility and humanity. Even more importantly, it lacks class, far less any kind of panache.

Having spent years working on the television series Coast, I think it’s fair to say I’ve seen as much of this United Kingdom of ours as anyone else living here. It’s a project that has changed my life in several ways. It has certainly caused me to fall in love with the place – the whole place. Circumnavigate these islands as I have, as often as I have, and one thing above all becomes clear: the national boundaries within are invisible and therefore meaningless.

People living in a fishing town in Cornwall have more in common with the inhabitants of a fishing town in Fife than either population has with the folk of a town in the Midlands. They have a shared experience and a common history of coping with lives shaped by the sea. The coast is another country – the fifth country – and it unites us and binds us like the hem of a garment.

The differences that are discernible as you travel around Britain are regional ones – made of accents and architecture, geology and geography. I am all in favour of people having the power to make decisions about their own patch: but I am utterly opposed to the idea of breaking centuries old bonds in order to make that happen."

10644441_728822797201364_809050242862523

He spoke in a very articulate, passionate yet reasoned manner on the BBC2 programme last night, that I referred to earlier.  He made a lot of excellent points and if I was still living in Scotland and able to vote he, more than the politicians, would have contributed to my uncertainty (heart = definite yes, cautious head = reluctant no).   I thought he would sway the three undecided voters in the debate that the programme was following.  So I was surprised when all three said they had carefully listened to everything that had been said but still decided to vote Yes.   Therefore it would be interesting to see just how much his open letter influenced voters.  I guess we'll never know. 

I'm struggling to concentrate on work today and will be awake at stupid o clock nervously awaiting the result.  I just hope that if it is a no result the Westminster government honours the pledges made earlier this week to the people of Scotland, although not sure how it will given the resistance from their own MPs? - 

If they didn't honour what they so emotionally promised, and which was splattered all over the world's media, that really would be a cheapening and divisive outcome to what has been a truely historic watershed event.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

I see some nice soul on Twitter has said that they wish Andy Murray had died in the Dunblane shooting. This was in reply to his tweet about supporting a YES vote.

I'm hoping to find a bellwether region so that I'm not having to stay up to 7am French time for the big city declarations.  For Scots what should I be looking at in terms of a region that will suggest a national trend?

Is this possible or is there a distinct uniqueness that means big cities won't follow a certain trend.

Would north Lanarkshire be a good bet, I've read that's of particular interest or is there another region that might be better?

I don't mind if someone corrects me on this, but my instinct is that if North Lanarkshire votes YES it'll be a YES all over. That area is (or at least was) Labour heartlands.

• Like 1
    Posted

Catch, I've seen people say that about him simply for his deadpan interview style… for some reason he seems to trigger a lot of vile, horrible hatred. 

don't think it's related to the Neverendum...

• Like 1
    Posted

I see some nice soul on Twitter has said that they wish Andy Murray had died in the Dunblane shooting. This was in reply to his tweet about supporting a YES vote.

I don't mind if someone corrects me on this, but my instinct is that if North Lanarkshire votes YES it'll be a YES all over. That area is (or at least was) Labour heartlands.

Thanks for that. Regarding Andy Murray luckily for No those comments won't be allowed to be broadcast by the broadcast media because of some bizarre restrictions.

Personally I really don't care what side Andy Murray supports but think he should have just remained neutral because this is only going to turn into another 6 years of hysteria like the World Cup drama.

He's also just harpooned Judy Murrays chances on Strictly Come Dancing! lol

Posted

Best thing would be for the idiots on both sides to be ignored - oxygen of publicity and all that as some woman or other once said

• Like 2
    Posted

Catch, I've seen people say that about him simply for his deadpan interview style… for some reason he seems to trigger a lot of vile, horrible hatred. 

don't think it's related to the Neverendum...

I love him, my youngest son is named after him.

Posted

I love him, my youngest son is named after him.

I have a lot of time for him and I loathe tennis :) But he's intelligent and articulate and often well worth listening to. Besides, I get tired of the criticism of him not looking fashionable and not smiling enough - I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad, he plays tennis very well, what else does "a tennis player" need to do?!?!

• Like 1
    Posted

South Lanarkshire could be worth watching, it encompasses Labour urban heartland and upland rural areas where the Tories and Lib Dems have tended to dominate, right at the edge is the village of Leadhills one of the places I was in the weekend and there does seem to be a leaning towards yes amongst Tory and Lib Dem voters in that part of the world.

Back in 1997 Donald Findlay QC said of Aberdeen City, if it votes YES/YES the game is up - perhaps the same could hold true this time?

Posted

Here's more NO voters who are so scared and intimidated by the YES campaign that they've resorted to making Nazi salutes:

10450836_771206272924888_888399167059083

• Like 2