Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Good luck Scots; and I'd love nothing more than to see a YES vote on Friday morning; against all MSM, against all the major political parties, against the Orange Order, UKIP, the BNP; and most of all, to create a small, new, independent, progressive nation. 

The union has served its dues, it's time to move on and do the best thing for Scottish people; and increasingly, they want out of this Westminster elite, hopefully, in time, we can localise power even further across all nations; but tomorrow is just the start, for both Scotland, and the rest of the UK.

Vote YES!

• Like 8
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

And they call us Nazis? This is from George Square, Glasgow, some grassroots NO supporters:

10665130_10153266967089465_7207753919836

Speaking geographically these isles will remain the British Isles and that does include the Republic of Ireland - Geography and politics aren't necessarily the same thing.

• Like 1

I would suggest that in the event of a 'No' vote the best way forward would be to try and establish a Federal System - at least that way the differing counties of the UK will have more of a say in their governance, especially if they had more powers for local issues.

In the event of a 'Yes' vote, Scotland would be able to send an occupying power south of the border to keep us uncivilised lot in check - shouldn't be too hard with the number of Scots in our current cabinet at the moment :)

Posted

I'm gonna guess Yes 44%, No 56%. I think a majority of those who've declared themselves undecided will vote No or not vote at all. I also think there's a group of 'quiet No' voters - whether or not this has appeared in polling I'm not sure, but I think when it comes to rhetoric on social media and daily life it's definitely significant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I'm gonna guess Yes 44%, No 56%. I think a majority of those who've declared themselves undecided will vote No or not vote at all. I also think there's a group of 'quiet No' voters - whether or not this has appeared in polling I'm not sure, but I think when it comes to rhetoric on social media and daily life it's definitely significant.

I really hope your right for the sake of the union as well as the stability of the uk.

Also on a lighter note I don't want the pound to weaken in light of a break up and cost me more for my winter ski holiday! :wallbash:  :bomb:

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Did I really just read that? That is totally out of line and completely offensive. As the others have said, you really are a discredit to everyone, BUS, including yourself. I understand that you're extremely passionate about tomorrow, but there is certainly no need for a post like that...

my comment may have been out of order but I was replying to someone who was talking about war in Syria then stated because I was voting YES I was responsible for genocide which just isn't offensive to me but to all people around the world that has had to put up with genocide and then tried to bring the beheading into it all as in some way to say we would be condoning this I simply said what I have seen happen and reported in the media as I will not stand for someone trying to place these things upon YES voters but I feel it funny that the person in question wasn't pulled up for his ludicrous and highly offensive statements but that seems to be the rule in here isn't it.

now I have put across my defence this is the last I will say on the matter

Posted

I really hope your right for the sake of the union as well as the stability of the uk.

Also on a lighter note I don't want the pound to weaken in light of a break up and cost me more for my winter ski holiday! :wallbash:  :bomb:

I'm setting up a Belgian bank account tomorrow because no matter what happens, I reckon setting up a bank account on Friday will be far more expensive!
    Posted

I weep for your ignorance.

my ignorance or the persons ignorance bringing it into a political discussion as an emotional bargaining chip oh yes that's entirely fine though is it?

Posted

Not true.. NI is invariably greater than Health Insurance . Additionally companies pay c 13.8% NI over and above the lower earnings limit.

NI has long since lost it's identity as a means to finance NHS and Pensions and has been used as a Stealth Tax initially and increasingly so by Gordon Brown as Chancellor in the Nu-Labour years.

There is now talk of a separate NHS tax.... but we are going a bit off topic now.

I don't see how talking about the NHS in here is going off topic have we not to talk about one of the biggest issues of the debate because if we vote no then this is what awaits us a privatised NHS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I'm setting up a Belgian bank account tomorrow because no matter what happens, I reckon setting up a bank account on Friday will be far more expensive!

There is no way of getting away from it I just hope it's a no vote and we get stability back and we can move on with things. If it is a Yes vote its going to be a bumpy ride be it a short bump in the road or a full scale Scottish recession we shall have to wait and see but it will dent the uk and the pound also. :cc_confused:

After we can discuss uk wide devolution and not just Scottish as I feel if anything its the English that have more to complain about than both scots or welsh? I mean they have got less representation and the scots can vote for English policy. :rofl:

Posted

Does anyone know why there will be no exit polls tomorrow night?

there will be exit polls the YES campaign are doing exit polls they will ask your name and address and tick you off the register if voted YES you have to go up and tell them you voted YES so they can keep there own count to ensure the count is fair and correct so all yessers tell everyone you know to do this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

There is no way of getting away from it I just hope it's a no vote and we get stability back and we can move on with things. If it is a Yes vote its going to be a bumpy ride be it a short bump in the road or a full scale Scottish recession we shall have to wait and see but it will dent the uk and the pound also. :cc_confused:

After we can discuss uk wide devolution and not just Scottish as I feel if anything its the English that have more to complain about than both scots or welsh? I mean they have got less representation and the scots can vote for English policy. :rofl:

I agree with you regarding England. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have forms of government of their own and by extension their own views are noted. England has no form of representative government like that, and as a result the English views are not noted. I feel that if Scotland votes no but gets devo max, England, Wales and Northern Ireland deserve the same bringing about a federalised system where local government is able to make decisions for local people, however England is a very diverse country, what works for London will not necessarily work for Birmingham or Newcastle, so in my view devolution for England will need to be at a regional or county level rather than England level.

If the vote goes the other way, then I believe Wales will rightly expect devo max at least, so either way federalisation of the UK will happen. The status quo cannot continue.

We all deserve better than an out of touch Westminster government that we have now, we all deserve a say. Scotland has shook up Westminster and no matter what happens tomorrow they deserve all the luck, and all the thanks in the world for being brave enough to rock the boat!

• Like 2
    Posted

here is a few things to give all us yessers some encouragement on our way to the polls tomorrow and to help us through the day

Andy Murray â€@andy_murray 19m

Huge day for Scotland today! no campaign negativity last few days totally swayed my view on it. excited to see the outcome. lets do this! 

sky news did a twitter poll tonight on how people are going to vote

post-18233-0-03068600-1411003206_thumb.ppost-18233-0-69306400-1411003219_thumb.p

likes on facebook make good viewing

post-18233-0-33244800-1411003270_thumb.jpost-18233-0-91887900-1411003270_thumb.j

while they give us scare stories about jobs going here is the jobs that really need to go

post-18233-0-63757500-1411003331_thumb.j

these wont go with a no vote as the extra powers from Westminster is dead already

post-18233-0-84312900-1411003373_thumb.j

and just remember this doesn't just mean a lot to us catalonia preys for us to vote YES and give them hope and hope to many others across the world that there time may come

post-18233-0-26162600-1411003470_thumb.j

and finally and most important this isn't just for us its for the kids like these ones who were putting these through doors tonight in Coatbridge

post-18233-0-87219900-1411003539_thumb.j

this is it fellow yessers time for us to take our future into our own hands through a proper democratic process and when standing in the ballot box just remember this is the start of a new and better future for everyone in this little nation of ours and hopefully this will spread to all parts of the union there after and many others across the world hoping for this chance

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Whose 'them' in that little rant?

That would be everyone else who isn't in Scotland - since apparently everyone else pays for Scotland to exist.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

andy murray voting 'YES' :cc_confused:  that's a big surprise.

• Like 1
    Posted

Not at all however this is not a vote on whether we need to look at the NHS it is on should we divide up our country. I am proud of our NHS which is admired worldwide but to tell people Westminster is privatising the NHS on the basis of a you tube video to gain some sort of support for a yes vote is just laughable.

Perhaps I could interest you in some of Jesse venturas video's?  He makes some compelling arguments.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg9VFSy-x8o  :rofl:

Considering that the video features people who work in the NHS - features plenty of Google'able bills that have been passed and more importantly - specifically says that it does't apply to Scotland because the Scottish NHS is different......

It would be a pretty poor attempt on the Yes side to grab votes.

I posted the video for people to send to people in England - it COULD be a sign of things to come for Scotland - but at the moment it's not - it is however happening in England and I have family and friends in England and I know they would want to be aware of it - and I assume other people would feel the same about friends and family they have in England.

It is not a campaign and not once throughout the whole video does it mention independence or the referendum.

Posted

If it is a yes vote tomorrow will September the 18th be remembered as scottish independence day similar to July 4th in the states but bigger imo

I'm not sure - the 19th would be the day of the results - but the day we actually legally become independent is pegged for IIRC 24th March 2016.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I don't see how talking about the NHS in here is going off topic have we not to talk about one of the biggest issues of the debate because if we vote no then this is what awaits us a privatised NHS

Just going to be honest here, why do you assume that the public will simply roll over for this. I certainly won't.

-----------------------------------------

So final thoughts. For me I am hoping that the no vote wins out. To quote something Gordon Brown said "We need change, but it has to be the right kind of change". I have stressed some fundamental flaws in the yes campaign already so won't go into them deeply again. 

Scotland can of course go independent and flourish. The caveat as always is that the outcome will be dependent on the people at the helm. I think the fundamental key is to make sure that relations between the now separated separated is kept as healthy as possible. At the present time I just don't think the current stance of the SNP (Saying SNP as I suspect it does not reflect the views of all yes voters) is going to help matters. The currency union idea could result in ugly scenes and of course any political arguments are not going help either country economically. 

There are a lot of pledges and promises which have been perceived as easy to achieve from the yes camp, but the reality is that many of these will be slow and painful processes. The EU for a start, there are many players who could throw a spanner in the works for various reasons, it's not as clear cut as some make you believe.

So why should Scotland start in the UK. I agree that change needs to be made as simply the current government is not representative of the UK population. But I do believe that if the desire is there, then either you can force the current set to change their stance or simply remove them altogether. I think the UK could achieve more as the sum of it's parts than as just individual nations, we just need the right environment to do that. We for so long have punched well above our weight in the world. Whether it be scientifically for even as simple as sport (look at the Olympics in London, we had the third highest medal tally, which is simply amazing for a country with a pretty modest population size compared to many others). As someone south of the border I will say this, the age of apathy is over. 

Whatever the result, change will happen. It's just a question of which side will give you the change you want. I believe the right decision is to vote no, but I'm sure most on this forum would argue that they have run out of patience with rUK. If you vote yes just remember that some of the decisions you will make will have a direct consequences for the rest of the UK. Whatever happens I hope that relations between us will remain good, there is no reason to go about and sour these with poorly chosen policies and stubbornness. 

Good luck, it's your time. The biggest moment in the history of the United Kingdom since the end of world war 2 awaits.

Edited by Captain shortwave
    • Like 2
    Posted

Just going to be honest here, why do you assume that the public will simply roll over for this. I certainly won't.

well its already happening so why aren't you out there and once it gets started theres no way you will stop it

Posted

20 mins till I'm chapping on the door to get in and vote YES :yahoo:

• Like 1
    Posted

That would be everyone else who isn't in Scotland - since apparently everyone else pays for Scotland to exist.

You had better exclude Cornwall then as it's one of the poorest regions in the EU.

Edited by knocker
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

well its already happening so why aren't you out there and once it gets started theres no way you will stop it

I must admit I was one of those who chose to try and get on with life regardless, but frankly that is not an option any more.

Personally I am strapped for time as I'm away from home 11 hours a day mainly due to a long commute to work. But I guess the first thing is to try to invest some time either to research like minded people out there or start something myself. 

Anyway time to go to work for me, as I said above whatever the result, I just hope that things will remain peaceful between everyone north and south of the border and i doesn't turn into a political point scoring game which angers people on both sides. Unfortunately I fear the latter will come true as that seems to be the way of politics these days  :nonono:

Edited by Captain shortwave
    Posted

that's me and the other half put our YES votes in :yahoo: lets make this happen people there isn't any more powers to come this is the only and best way we are going to do it

it was quite busy as well 55 people standing there waiting to vote hopefully they were all yessers

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    • Like 4