Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Scotland's full name probably be Kingdom Of Scotland or Commonwealth of Scotland if gets independence.

For example: Commonwealth Of Canada, Commonwealth of Australia, etc.

For the first, it would need its own king and for the second, it would need to be a commonwealth of different federal member states/territories/provinces that have partial control over their own tax, planning, education, etc, policies, like Canada has Quebec, Ontario, etc and Oz has South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania, etc. What's the Scottish Nationalist's policy on trickle-down devolution?

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Just watching the programme on 4 about the vote tomorrow.

Vuvienne Westwood is a compete numpty. Going on about the elites and her disgust with our greed based society.

Can someone remind her that she sells clothing for £1000s of pounds!

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

She might be a hypocrite but shes still right!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Here's an interesting question...

What do we call our island if it is a yes vote?

Will it no longer be an island as we will border another country? What happens to the British isles?

Rest of the UK (without oil)

• Like 1
    Posted

Big turnouts in 40 to 50 cities, towns and villages this evening supporting Yes and not one mention of it on the BBC.

Shameful.

Forget the BBC - that's why the turnout is big. People pee'd off with the establishment. The BBC actually help the YEs campaign if you think about it and positively..a few more votes for Indy everyday while they wheel out some has-been MP who supports the UK and has no vote here, nor real interest..but just likes to say how "great" we are together, blah, blah..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

For the first, it would need its own king and for the second, it would need to be a commonwealth of different federal member states/territories/provinces that have partial control over their own tax, planning, education, etc, policies, like Canada has Quebec, Ontario, etc and Oz has South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania, etc. What's the Scottish Nationalist's policy on trickle-down devolution?

Wrong. Scotland has already has a Queen. None other than Queen Elizabeth II.

Posted

Rest of the UK (without oil)

I assume you will extend that to Scotland (without oil) once it runs out or becomes uneconomic to get.

Will Scotland be using pure PR in its new parliament?

Posted

Well many moons back on some early page of this forum I posted some thoughts, on the basis that at the time I felt the Yes would creep up. Like support at the last general election for the Lib Dems. My thoughts were on the day, be it by postal or in a ballot booth, those who didn't like change would vote no and those who were only a part yes, would swing to no. I still hold on that. I think the absolute key that will be in many scots heads tomorrow will be 'Do I have enough answers and confidence in (who?) to tick Yes.

I have found both campaigns give little answers that can inform the uneducated voter. The main problem being that if they go independent it is not for the No campaign to sort out, if not, then in essence it is not for the Yes's to to sort out. So each has only had the opportunity to put forward the situation of the case it wants.

The No I think has been more negative but that's because I firmly believe the Yes have painted a pretty picture without being able to explain the rationale behind it. But there is time to sort things if Scotland do decide to go.

What will be most interesting is how the views of the rest, England, Wales, NI, get treated when it comes to making deals with Scotland. E,g let us suppose there is a currency union, will the UK (as it becomes) poll its house on such a matter, I suspect the feeling in the UK will be 'you wanted to go it alone, go it alone' and there will be little time for sorting 'Scottish affairs' come the UK being independent. But, Scotland is a big trading partner, I suspect sitting back and watching it all happen without any input will simply, not happen.

The final point I have, is the views you see of the Yes people on the ground and the belief that this will bring 'real change'. Salmond and his colleagues have talked about the Westminster way of politics. In all politics, all have a vested interest. Scottish companies have an absolute vested interest in the outcomes of Parliament. I am unsure as to why anyone thinks that will change come independence. Certainly, there is a divide between scales of wealth in individual nation states. But the reality is, (And im not a fan of Westminster politics either) it will always be the same among the political elite. Those that see real change occurring should ask the question (and Id beg that of those that think UKIP are the next way forward to)...Could I get to that house/chamber/commons/assembly with my own vision, could I swing it enough, could I put what I believe is right, in to the minds of others? Good luck if you think you can. 

The very best of luck to both sides of the campaign tomorrow, the above are my own thoughts and in no way do I want it to sway anyone's views. I have many colleagues and even a few friends and a tiny long lost strand of family in Scotland. I hope they stay part of the UK. But if Scotland do become independent then, well, that will be that.

• Like 2
    Posted

And how does an independent state have the ruler of another state as head of a kingdom (or queendom, if such a word exists). Other commonwealth countries acknowledge her as head of state; they do not describe themselves as kingdoms, having got that far away from the old idea of Empire.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
    Posted

I assume you will extend that to Scotland (without oil) once it runs out or becomes uneconomic to get.

Will Scotland be using pure PR in its new parliament?

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/09/16/conocophillips-assetsale-idINL1N0RG2PP20140916

http://www.hebrides-news.com/significant-oil-field-off-lewis-14914.html

Goodness. Imagine a country having such a bounty. Like it's a curse according to Better Together. And, if it's really a burden, I guess we can fall back on offshore renewables. No wonder rUK is love-bombing.

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
    • Like 1
    Posted

Does anyone know why there will be no exit polls tomorrow night?

I think Dave it is because it is statistically impossible to do. There have been no previous trends to allow this on.

Exit polls have to take in to account swings, majority in each constituency and also first past the poll system.

Essentially, tomorrow they would have to pick up Local divergence in difference and then somehow calculate that to a national average, without having any past data to verify this against. So statistically, I think it is impossible and if wrong, would potentially send wrong messages to those who would rely on it (global markets) if the vote went the other way.

Posted

Right good luck tomorrow guys.

I will be watching with interest - there is sure to be fireworks whichever way the vote goes.

Posted

Wrong. Scotland has already has a Queen. None other than Queen Elizabeth II.

Actually she is Queen Elizabeth. Queen Elizabeth The First of England never ruled in Scotland, It was King James VI at the time of Elizabeth I and James also became King James Ist of England.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I posted this earlier when the thread was quiet but I think it's worthy of another post to lighten the mood and hopefully make both sides have a chuckle at themselves and each other (its only a couple of short tongue in cheeks paragraphs).

Scotland goes full Scottish

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/scotland-goes-full-scottish-2014091790696

... and on that note I'll bid you all good night.

Edited by kar999
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Actually she is Queen Elizabeth. Queen Elizabeth The First of England never ruled in Scotland, It was King James VI at the time of Elizabeth I and James also became King James Ist of England.

So that means it is Queen Elizabeth I Of Scotland than II?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

If it is a yes vote tomorrow will September the 18th be remembered as scottish independence day similar to July 4th in the states but bigger imo

Posted

So that means it is Queen Elizabeth I Of Scotland than II?

As she is the only Queen Elizabeth Scotland has had she does not need the 'First' designation. Royal address and titles are different up here, but the Kingdom of Fife will always be a kingdom no matter the vote :diablo:

Interestingly though the kings and queens of Scotland were referred to as king/queen of Scots. They governed the PEOPLE by consent, they did not rule the land as such, hence they were not called kings/queens of ScotLAND

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 2
    Posted

As she is the only Queen Elizabeth Scotland has had she does not need the 'First' designation. Royal address and titles are different up here, but the Kingdom of Fife will always be a kingdom no matter the vote :diablo:

That make sense!! :)

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Right, I have a really long day ahead tomorrow so need to try to get some sleep. I wasn't going to do this but I'll make a prediction. I've always thought it'd be 55-60 Yes but I'll temper that in light of the polls and go for 53Y 47N.

So good night, have a good day tomorrow and Saor Alba!

Posted

That make sense!! :)

Yep, it means she will still remain Queen of Scots in the event of a YES vote - unless the Windsors get the proverbial Glesca Kiss and told to bog off (I do joke :closedeyes: )

Actually I rather admire Princess Ann, she would make us a good Queen - at least she knows where Murrayfield is

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Ipsos earlier was 47-49N, don't have raw figures for Youguv or Survation.

Betfair analysis of all data suggests an 80% chance of no and as a result BETFAIR IS NOW PAYING OUT ON 'NO'.

My prediction is 54-46 to No.