Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Someone had mentioned Whitehall were briefed today on convening parliament on Saturday! They would only do that after a yes vote. So to me it means they have been briefed that there is a real chance of a yes vote!

Well, we've all seen the polls... why are you surprised? It's as plain as day that there is a real chance of a YES vote. Both results are almost equally possible.

... and Survation 53% NO 47% YES

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

YouGov:

Excluding don't knows (6% in this survey), the figures are the same as in our last poll six days ago: No 52%, Yes 48%.

A significant gender gap has persisted to the end. If only men had the vote, Scotland would choose independence by 54-46%. However, women prefer to remain in the United Kingdom by a larger 57-43% margin.

YouGov questioned 3,237 electors between 15 and 17 September. This is by far the largest poll conducted during the referendum campaign.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Someone had mentioned Whitehall were briefed today on convening parliament on Saturday! They would only do that after a yes vote. So to me it means they have been briefed that there is a real chance of a yes vote!

They would brief for both scenarios. It makes sense to have a plan b - just as AS has a plan a, b, c, d and e for the currency issue.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

its very pertinent to this thread after all its one of the issues of the campaign and probably the biggest issue

what we pay currently in NI is vastly less than what we would pay for health insurance so I think we do the better why would you want to control your own money like that knowing you were losing out big style and being fleeced for something that should cost a lot less under government hands while big companies suck everyone dry.

Not true.. NI is invariably greater than Health Insurance . Additionally companies pay c 13.8% NI over and above the lower earnings limit.

NI has long since lost it's identity as a means to finance NHS and Pensions and has been used as a Stealth Tax initially and increasingly so by Gordon Brown as Chancellor in the Nu-Labour years.

There is now talk of a separate NHS tax.... but we are going a bit off topic now.

Edited by kar999
    • Like 1
    Posted

If I may add my  guess to others.

YES 44% NO 56 % .

I dare not guess this eve, as last week whilst on hols in Portugal i posted in this thread that it would be 54% No, 46% Yes.....i was quickly told my guess was rubbish and told to "Go and do some research".

So i'll keep my updated No/Yes prediction to myself this eve.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Burnt 54% yes 46% no for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Here's an interesting question...

What do we call our island if it is a yes vote?

Will it no longer be an island as we will border another country? What happens to the British isles?

Posted

Not true.. NI is invariably greater than Health Insurance . Additionally companies pay c 13.8% NI over and above the lower earnings limit.

NI has long since it's identity as a means to finance NHS and Pensions and has been used as a Stealth Tax initially and increasingly so by Gordon Brown as Chancellor in the Nu-Labour years.

There is now talk of a separate NHS tax.... but we are going a bit off topic now.

That is exactly the problem;  NI contributions go into the overall tax pot, they are not ring fenced. Exactly the same with road excise duty - it all goes in the pot and successive governments divide it up according to their dogma.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Edited by pip22
    Posted

Give it a few years, it'll be the United Kingdom of Scotland :yahoo:

England will be that little place somewhere within the M25

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Will it no longer be an island as we will border another country? What happens to the British isles?

Yes even the maps will be re-written.

On a lighter note.. http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/16/scottish-border-agency-pranksters-erect-mock-passport-control-and-checkpoint-on-scotland-border-4870833/

Edited by Polar Maritime
    • Like 4
    Posted

Britain (or Great Britain) or Albion/Alba.

it doesnt matter if our land has one political division, or two or ten. 

The British Isles are a geographical entity and the British people an ethnic entity.   Petty political divisons change nothing.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The Artist Formerly Known as the UK?

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

United States of Albion...... because Westminster loves America  :doh:

Posted

The island would still be called Britain, and still be an island. The British Isles would still be called the British Isles. Great Britain, I think, is the British Isles minus Ireland. Those are geographical designations, not political. Doubtless there are civil servants somewhere scratching their heads about what to call the UK-minus-Scotland and what to do with the flag. 

As someone of Irish descent, I understand your desire for self-governance, but hope that the result is a no. Both sides of the border would be poorer (not in the narrow economic sense) if the vote was a yes, IMO.

Whatever, go out and vote. As our elderly next-door-neighbour (old enough to remember the sufragettes) used to tell my mother, women died to give you the right to vote. You owe it to them to do so. The same goes for men. Voting is both a right and a duty. 

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

god, a mate just posted on facebook....

"Bloody tories better do something to sort out immigration....don't want those Jock asylum seekers jumping the border and nicking our jobs and dole handouts when it goes pear shaped up north...."

oh dear!  :bomb:

he is joking by the way.......I think!

• Like 6
    Posted

I don't think even those educated at Eton would require a brief to appraise them of that possibilty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Scotland's full name probably be Kingdom Of Scotland or Commonwealth of Scotland if gets independence.

For example: Commonwealth Of Canada, Commonwealth of Australia, etc.

Edited by pip22
    Posted

I can't get over the irony of Gordon Brown saying its my flag while standing next to a union flag. Someone should explain the flag of Scotland is the Saltire. The point they miss is that most Scots don't like the union flag. Brown is standing for one flag and Salmond the other.

• Like 1
    Posted

Great Independent headline for tomorrow "The 307 Year Itch". For those not watching News24..

Edited by Polar Maritime