Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Scottish Studies can be an optional subject but i oppose it being a complusary subject. Rather you should have Spanish, French or German as a compulsory second language.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Scottish Studies can be an optional subject but i oppose it being a complusary subject. Rather you should have Spanish, French or German as a compulsory second language.

Scottish Studies is being offered as a subject you can pick from at 13-14 yrs (standard grades) - one you choose.

Although I'd like to see a bit of Scottish history/UK history from a Scottish perspective (e.g. how Scotland came to where it is in the context of British and world history, warts and all) added into the standard history you get in 1st and 2nd year and some scottish literature be used in 'English' lessons. After all, we read shakespeare, and his old english is in the same grouping as lowland scots.

History is important, particularly our own, as it teaches us where we have come from and most importantly, what we did wrong or right in the past. Hopefully we can learn not to make the same mistakes, although I appreciate humans are not famed for that!

I'm not quite sure what Rob48 is on about. I thought the Queen's Jubilee was on at the mo? Is that not a big cultural thing down south? They seem to be making a big thing about it in London anyway.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Queens Jubilee 2012

Olympics in London 2012

England in Euro's 2012

Benefits of the Union...think I might have to hide out for the summer!

Posted

Now they've been sensible and gone for quite a small venue. Some clever camera work making it look quite busy at times.

However, caught this just at the end of David Mundell's speech. It's half empty! LOL

Ok, prizes for the worst attended Scottish political party spring conference as follows:

1. Liberal Democrats

2. Labour

3. Tories

Didn't catch footage of the Lib conference in Inverness the other week, but apparently it was a complete joke with the place almost empty.

Roll on the May elections.

EDIT. Here's the Labour one (upper floor seating to either side totally empty):

Posted Image

And I've added in the SNP one again (4 overflow halls in addition) for a fair comparison.

BTW. Do you need to be over 50 to vote Tory? Bar a couple of geeky teenagers, that's all I could see in the audience.

post-9421-0-81975300-1332497377_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-06567700-1332497769_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Now they've been sensible and gone for quite a small venue. Some clever camera work making it look quite busy at times.

However, caught this just at the end of David Mundell's speech. It's half empty! LOL

Ok, prizes for the worst attended Scottish political party spring conference as follows:

1. Liberal Democrats

2. Labour

3. Tories

Didn't catch footage of the Lib conference in Inverness the other week, but apparently it was a complete joke with the place almost empty.

Roll on the May elections.

EDIT. Here's the Labour one (upper floor seating to either side totally empty):

Posted Image

And I've added in the SNP one again (4 overflow halls in addition) for a fair comparison.

BTW. Do you need to be over 50 to vote Tory? Bar a couple of geeky teenagers, that's all I could see in the audience.

Think you need to read the Daily Express,have a blue rinse and live in Bearsden or Morningside! Goes with the territory. Oh Aye that Cameron's a lovely Eaton Boy..Also if Scottish need to be a sychophant to your English masters!
    Posted

I assume Scotland will love the minimum pricing in England, surely going to turn some people away from pints and towards Scotch.

Posted

I assume Scotland will love the minimum pricing in England, surely going to turn some people away from pints and towards Scotch.

Would just mean more tax to the treasury if more Scotch is purchased in England. Not sure that would do those other than the manufacturers any good. Most of the owners are foreign so again not really doing us any favours. Most of the profit from whisky is made from overseas sales. For example 13% of total Sales are to the USA alone.
    Posted

Tories are not that bright really are they. Lack forward planning IMO.

Yesterday, at their conference in Troon, they formally launched their 'friends of the union' campaign (http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-17420673).

Here's the obvious primary domain name. Try visiting it:

http://www.friendsoftheunion.com/

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png

-----------------

The SNP/scottish nationalists are often accused of being 'xenophobic' even though there is no basis for that at all (striving for self governance/representative democracy can hardly be a bad thing). Yet, Theresa May is now warning that an independent Scotland would be flooded with immigrants. Hmmmm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-17486620

Presumably she also therefore envisages Scotland will be a massive economic success? I'm not sure why people would move to a country with no job prospects, high unemployment, poverty etc; history tells us people leave when that happens.

EDIT. Here's the May story in all it's glory: http://www.guardian....ion-theresa-may

Scottish independence will cause mass immigration, Theresa May claims

Undertones of strong xenophobia and a serious lack of understanding of UK/EU treaties and immigration law. That from an immigration minister!

-------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-17475300

Dave really has a poor understanding of politics. Standards at Oxford must be dropping.

Mr Cameron said millions of people across Scotland believed in Conservative values, like looking after the less fortunate, helping talent grow and backing families, adding: "Our challenge is to reach out to these people, to reconnect their beliefs with ours."

It seems he thinks 'conservative' = 'right-wing neoliberal'. Do they not teach people the difference between economic and social attitudes?

Pay a visit to the Western isles of Scotland and you will find communities with very conservative values - it was not too long ago you couldn't even get a ferry there on a sunday. They traditionally voted liberal, now SNP, even though they are (socially) quite conservative.

Millions? Can he count? The electorate in Scotland is only 4 million Dave. At best you guys could score half a million on a full turnout.

----------------

EDIT. Here we go. Call me Dave's full speech to the Scotch Tories in Troon.

http://www.heraldsco...ries.2012037715

"We said we'd treat Scotland with respect"

"I promised respect and that's exactly what we’re giving. Scotland's two governments and parliaments working together."

"I tell you: it might say Braveheart on the box but the movie you're watching is more like Chicken Run."

""What planet are these people [the SNP and voters one presumes] on?"

bu-boom - tsss.

Nice one Dave, just left trouser leg of all non-tory voters even further and the 70% of those Scotchy folks that are after Devo-Maxx; you never know, they could very well be swayed into voting yes.

This guy is brilliant for the independence movement.

Here's him trying to fit in last time he was up. Aye that's whit we dae up here Dave, all ay us are porridge munchers n that ken.

-------------------

http://www.guardian....alists-identity

David Trimble: Scottish nationalists 'doing violence' to identity of Scots

OMG, rolling out David Trimble for the Tory conference is going to do wonders for their cause. Yes, Britain, famous for partitioning rebellious colonies to cause increased division and bloodshed, the cause of the N. Ireland troubles, wants us consider the 'violence' associated with attaining democracy.

post-9421-0-81737800-1332602331_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Isn't it funny how so many non Scots or people from outwith Scotland seem to know more about what is good for us than we do. This has been the case for 300 years. David Trimble is a very sinister Unionist. He loosely disguises what is in fact an anti-Irish form of Britishness. Anyway he has helped screw up Northern Ireland to suit his agenda like so many over there. So David please keep your nose out of our country. The decent non sectarian Scots who form the overall majority do not need lessons on history from your neck of the woods. Yes I have been to Belfast. They may have cleaned up the city but the tensions and divisions remain. But this is just typical of the unionists attitude of divide and rule. Catholics and protestants get along fine here other than some old firm hard liners. Highlanders, lowlanders and islanders all have their differences but we are all Scottish.

Edited by November13
    Posted

Isn't it funny how so many non Scots or people from outwith Scotland seem to know more about what is good for us than we do.

Aye.

I've seen it all now.

http://www.guardian....hreat-terrorism

Independent Scotland at risk from terrorism, Theresa May claims

Scotland is safer by being part of the union, the home secretary, Theresa May, has suggested.

Safer from whom? Irish republican 'terrorists'? I don't recall them bombing here - reasons are kinda obvious. Maybe muslim extremists? Well, if imperial Britain didn't have a habit of bombing muslim countries chasing after oil this might be less of an ongoing problem? Thanks for glasgow airport Westminster btw.

Really, this is the case for the union? 'If you decide to govern yourselves in a representative democracy for the first time in history, terrorists will flood your country'. Jesus wept, and these are the people running the UK FGS. Heaven help us all.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

What we are seeing from the Tories is the expected negative case for remaining in the Union because they cannot offer a positive case. I hope and pray that the Scottish electorate see through it.

I am appalled with what May and Trimble have said, it is nothing short of scare mongering.

Posted

Isn't it funny how so many non Scots or people from outwith Scotland seem to know more about what is good for us than we do. This has been the case for 300 years..

But didn't Britain do this for many years under the guise of the empire and that included many noteable Scotsmen? I'm sorry, although I support Scottish independence, I object to the fact that I can't have an opinion. And I have to say that many Scots friends of mine do not agree with you. And one is breathing rather heavily at the moment as she has been a life long member of the Labour Party and was born and brought up in Troon.

Edited by weather ship
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What we are seeing from the Tories is the expected negative case for remaining in the Union because they cannot offer a positive case. I hope and pray that the Scottish electorate see through it.

I am appalled with what May and Trimble have said, it is nothing short of scare mongering.

Aye MS. I saw Cameron at his oily best yesterday. The message is clearly: if you want to understand the Scots' zeitgeist - ask an old Etonian? :fool:

Posted

But didn't Britain do this for many years under the guise of the empire and that included many noteable Scotsmen? .

Of course WS. That group of Scotsmen were noted for signing the treaty of union after receiving large bribes to do so. Today, you can see them sitting in the house of commons voting to, e.g. introduce higher eduction tuition fees for English students while their parties support these being government funded/their children don't have to pay at home. There's even unelected ones in the House of Lords wearing ermine coats doing similar undemocratic things. They are members of the Tory, Labour and Liberal parties.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, those that form the British government, notably those not elected in Scotland, should take note of this:

The States Parties to the present Covenant, including those having responsibility for the administration of Non-Self-Governing and Trust Territories, shall promote the realization of the right of self-determination, and shall respect that right, in conformity with the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations.

http://www2.ohchr.or...sh/law/ccpr.htm

Dave, Theresa, Trimble et al should be bi-partisan, acting only to facilitate/promote Scots self-determination, for that is what we are dealing with and they don't live in Scotland nor will be voting in the referendum. Even Scots MPs (excluding the SNP) and Lords (no SNP) really should not involve themselves in a professional capacity as they have an obvious conflict of interest.

----------------

EDIT. Unrelated, but an interesting move towards ensuring all the decision making in Scotland is not centralised to the urban areas of Edinburgh, Glasgow etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17499075

Plans for Scottish rural parliament

The Scottish government is moving ahead with plans to create a rural parliament for Scotland.

Ministers said it would offer "a greater voice to rural communities" but would not be a further layer of government.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

The all giving, all powerful god westminster has 'given permission' for a .scot domain. We are not worthy - praise be to our masters, how generous they are.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/in-brief/4631-scotland-wins-cyber-independence

However the UK Government has refused to allow the devolved administrations in Holyrood and Cardiff to use the domain name .gov.scot or .gov.cymru and are insisting that these bodies retain the existing .gov.uk. (Aye, we'll see about that, what are you going to do, wage cyber war?).

English Conservative MP Andrew Percy, who was recently in the news as one of the MPs who were assaulted by Falkirk Labour MP Eric Joyce, reacted angrily to the announcement, saying that it was "nonsense". Mr Percy claimed that the UK government had "caved in" to the SNP on the issue.

Och Tories, really know how to win hearts and minds. Single handedly steering Scotland towards independence. Really they are a bunch of incompetent idiots - supposed to be the party of the union, yet the best advert for voting YES there is.

Posted

After first directing to the SNP donations page, the obvious 'Conservative Friends of the Union' url now points to newsnetscotland which is the rapidly growing 'friends of independence' news website.

http://www.friendsoftheunion.com/

Someone is having fun!

------------------------------------------

We've had labour councillors defecting, is this the start for the Scottish Tories?

http://www.heraldsco...8b5d42113d9eb18

Veteran Tory dismisses party as 'plonkers' after being deselected as candidate

A VETERAN Tory fundraiser has denounced his party as "complete plonkers" for being so hostile to independence, after he was dropped as a council candidate for not backing the Union.

Financier Peter de Vink, a stalwart of the Scottish Conservatives since the mid-1970s, had been selected to stand in Midlothian, but was "dismissed" after supporting an independent Scotland....

"Here's the party that stands for independence of views, freedom of speech, freedom of action, and yet we are so intolerant when it comes to this. They look complete plonkers. They look so inept. Ruth Davidson, she is so out of her depth."

A Tory with common sense. Never! LOL.

The whole Tory scandal thing going on right now in London is pure gold too. The SNP's plan to hold the referendum later in the term is in part to give ample reminder to Scots of what Tories are like - similar to New Labour, but much worse.

----------------------------

EDIT. Found the real conservativefriendsoftheunion.com site:

http://conservativef...on.com/gallery/

Bit of a mouthful the name, but the 'gallery' is wonderful. The last time I saw so many union jacks was at an Orange Order march. Although I suppose they did roll out David Trimble for the occasion. He must have felt very much at home.

Posted Image

Really, the 'conservative' part of the name will not do you any favours Ruth, better just go for www.friendsoftheunion.com which incidentally now has been updated again to link to this article:

A Unionist lexicon: An A-Z of Unionist scare stories, myths and misinformation

Quality.

To be honest, I think the Tories well out-do the SNP on the 'nationalism' front, what with that union jack waving and stuff.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

But didn't Britain do this for many years under the guise of the empire and that included many noteable Scotsmen? I'm sorry, although I support Scottish independence, I object to the fact that I can't have an opinion. And I have to say that many Scots friends of mine do not agree with you. And one is breathing rather heavily at the moment as she has been a life long member of the Labour Party and was born and brought up in Troon.

Life long member of the Labour party...I rest my case!
    Posted

Life long member of the Labour party...I rest my case!

Actually I was wrong to say that. It should have been supporter of the Labour party and also that doesn't mean consistently over all the years. She was never far to the left.

Posted

Isabel Fraser does another top job of dismantling unionist guff. They truly are their own worst enemy.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Gs68TOu04

Actually I was wrong to say that. It should have been supporter of the Labour party and also that doesn't mean consistently over all the years. She was never far to the left.

We do have a group of folk that vote labour because the always have, their ma n pa did etc. As the old saying goes, in the past, in some areas of Scotland 'You could put a monkey in a suit, give it a red rosette, and people would vote for it." Times are however a'changin.

---------------------

EDIT

It seems any hope that Dave might have had that the Jubilee will rekindle a sense of good old rich elite/aristocracy worshiping 'Britishness' north of the border is likely misplaced.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/310270/Scots-won-t-turn-out-for-Jubilee-street-parties

SCOTS WON’T TURN OUT FOR JUBILEE STREET PARTIES

A quick calc suggests there are ~11x more parties planned per head of population in England & Wales (3500 apps) than there are in Scotland (30 apps); over one order of magnitude less parties in Scotland per person.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

We do have a group of folk that vote labour because the always have, their ma n pa did etc. As the old saying goes, in the past, in some areas of Scotland 'You could put a monkey in a suit, give it a red rosette, and people would vote for it." Times are however a'changin.

Strangely she was brought up in a Tory household and she has the same opinion about the current Labour mob and the rest as you and I. I know what you mean though. When i first encountered the Clyde Valley in the early 60s there were shipyards from Glasgow to Greenock. I remember the Q E 2 and being built at Clydebank. Anything other than a labour vote was as rare as hens teeth. When I last visited around 98 it was like being in another country. Soon will be of course. :)

EDIT

Forgot to mention The Empress of Canada sailing full of Scots emmigrating surrounded by a flotilla of small ships with everyone singing Will YE Nae Come Back Again. Brought tears to my sporran.

Edited by weather ship
    • Like 1
    Posted

When I last visited around 98 it was like being in another country. Soon will be of course. :)

Aye, thank the Tories for that, and thank getting our own parliament again for this.

Edinburgh biggest contributor per person to UK economy

http://local.stv.tv/...-to-uk-economy/

Scottish cities punch economically above their weight

http://newsnetscotla...ve-their-weight

Edinburgh tops the list - with £34,950 of Gross Value Added per head (GVA) in 2009 - of English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish cities. The findings show that Edinburgh contributes even more to the UK economy per head of population than London, the city which is traditionally considered the powerhouse of the UK economy.

Us subsidy junkies eh! http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png

A country is always better governed by those that live in it.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Regarding the US I need to take advice.

Ha ha. Aye.

Well it’s their country. Up to them.

If it continues down its right-wing authoritarian, neo-liberal economic path, with inequality continuing to spiral, there’ll be a revolution of some form at some point. Always has been the case; be it the red flag flying high, heads chopped off by a guillotine, mass non-violent resistance, Spartacus leading the charge, or even just a new social democratic consensus rising from the ashes…

The extremes (economic right and left, social authoritarian and libertarian) never work, they all fall at some point and equilibrium (the centre) is attained again. At least for a while.

If only we could maintain it all the time.

Posted

LOL is all I can say.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/labour-red-faced-over-e-mails-leak-1-2199643

Labour red faced over e-mails leak

LABOUR was last night left embarrassed after a leaked exchange of e-mails revealed that its MPs “screwed up†on a vote over the government’s decision to reduce the 50p tax rate for those earning £150,000 or more.

Despite making it their top item to attack in the Budget, Labour abstained on an vote the SNP called opposing the measure.

A series of e-mail exchanges by Labour staff which were leaked then showed that they believed they had “screwed up†and suggested that they should “hold off†on a release on it for Scotland “in the hope that it is ignoredâ€.

And here are said e-mails:

http://orderorder.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/labouremailleak.pdf

Posted

William Bain MP Labour Party via twitter:

There is a long-standing PLP convention that we do not support SNP motions - we will oppose the Finance Bill & lay amendments

Childish.

• Like 1