Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

This is why the polls are wrong its what SS has been saying all along. Too many English in the sample: http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

This evening, for STV.

Game changer i reckon

I doubt very much that any poll is going to be a 'game changer', especially at this late stage, as I'm not sure anyone is going to vote just to be on the side that the polls say 'should' win.

May not be to everyone's taste but I though Russell Brand's latest take on things was interesting,

Edited by lorenzo
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Forgive me if this has already been asked in the thread, but what time could we expect results to start trickling out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

This is why the polls are wrong its what SS has been saying all along. Too many English in the sample: http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/

Will you continue to tell us the polls are wrong if the No vote wins tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Timeline for results.

post-7292-0-01479300-1410959069_thumb.pn

Tip - If linking You tube items, they do not embed into posts if the link you have found from is part of a list.

To embed a YouTube vid you just need the www.youtube.com/watch=gfdgdftert36 if you link www.youtube.com/watch=hgfhdfhdgfh45&... then it won't link correctly.

Edited by lorenzo
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Timeline for results.

attachicon.gifDeclaration Times.PNG

Nice one, thanks.

As for everyone saying we are stronger together - the Union is a good thing - first this has been going on since at least the 70's and in 1975 when the dreaded McCrone report was published (and then sealed away) it stated the problems that was Scotland was facing and warned that if Westminster didn't act fast to address the issues with poverty and unemployment that this day would come - and instead of heeding the advice in the report successive governments have ignored it. The fact that Wales is cheering us on and hoping they can be next shows that the Union is fundamentally broken beyond repair.

The McCrone report makes very interesting reading - and if you haven't read it yet here it is http://www.oilofscotland.org/mccronereport.pdf

The McCrone report wasn't published and then sealed away, it was a ministerial briefing document not meant for public consumption but the information could've been gathered by anyone that wanted to do so - the Observer newspaper at the time published articles suggesting that the oil might be more significant than first thought - all as explained by Professor McCrone himself here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C6CMExtQEo

A further discussion regarding this and other issues can be found here - http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-mccrone-report.html

As Scotland was (and is) part of the UK it was UK oil, don't see why this history is brought up for resentment any more than any other UK resource that has been exploited over the centuries.

Of course with hindsight things might have or should have been different - with regards to an oil fund for example while Norway established theirs in 1990, Tony Benn famously called for one way back in the 1970s but it was rejected by the Callaghan Labour cabinet, as mentioned in Benn's diary -

So that is the end of the saga of oil revenues. They are now a part of general public expenditure…..we are going to give it away in tax cuts.

Edited by Interitus
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Is it me? Or I just notice the ''No'' campaign for quite sometime now are just didn't even bother to campaigning outside. Do the ''No'' campaign figures like Gordon Brown, Ed Milliband ever go outdoors rather than indoors? I only seen Ed Milliband actually come out only once or twice if it counts he's been to the shopping centre. On the other hand the ''Yes'' side tends more outdoor than ''No''. I just noticed it on the media.

Maybe the ''No'' campaign really in the panic mode and too afraid to go outside.

Edited by pip22
    Posted

Orthopaedic surgeons have signed a letter saying there is no risk of privatisation if people vote 'No' in tomorrow's referendum.

The organisers of the letter say at least half of all the orthopaedic surgeons in Scotland are concerned about privatisation of the NHS being used as an argument for voting 'Yes'.

About 85% of respondents said they might not be able to deliver the same standard of care to their patients after independence, and 90% thought there would be difficulty recruiting the same quality of clinical staff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The McCrone report wasn't published and then sealed away, it was a ministerial briefing document not meant for public consumption but the information could've been gathered by anyone that wanted to do so - the Observer newspaper at the time published articles suggesting that the oil might be more significant than first thought - all as explained by Professor McCrone himself here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C6CMExtQEo

A further discussion regarding this and other issues can be found here - http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-mccrone-report.html

As Scotland was (and is) part of the UK it was UK oil, don't see why this history is brought up for resentment any more than any other UK resource that has been exploited over the centuries.

Of course with hindsight things might have or should have been different - with regards to an oil fund for example while Norway established theirs in 1990, Tony Benn famously called for one way back in the 1970s but it was rejected by the Callaghan Labour cabinet, as mentioned in Benn's diary -

So that is the end of the saga of oil revenues. They are now a part of general public expenditure…..we are going to give it away in tax cuts.

Was it a secret report or not? You've got me confused now :) It took a FOI request to get it released, or is that nonsense?

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just watch Sky News and I just found out there is way more yes voters than no in Aberdeen. I only seen 3-4 people vote No and while the Yes is like about 15-20 people. I can tell they holding Yes banners.

Edited by pip22
    Posted

Just watch Sky News and I just found out there is way more yes voters than no in Aberdeen. I only seen 3-4 people vote No and while the Yes is like about 15-20 people. I can tell they holding Yes banners.

very scientific.

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Now that I take exception to. I wasn't born in Scotland but I've lived here since I was ten years old. I moved up and went into P7, and I've been here ever since, 35 years. 

But you'd rather my opinion wasn't listened to, hmm?

What a shame you think that. One of the truly glorious things about the whole thing was the YES campaign's clear decision that if you live in Scotland then you're eligible to vote. That is what makes an inclusive, healthy, thriving society, that approach of including everyone who lives, works, is at school or college or uni, everyone who is IN Scotland. 

But you would rather separate us out by birthplace, hmm? Because you feel that makes for a better result in opinion polls. Even though birthplace is not a factor in being able to vote?

• Like 2
    Posted

Oh and fwiw, my (English-born) parents and (English-born) me, we've all been in two different telephone surveys and neither one asked for our country of birth. 

So if it's only ICM asking that, then how come their results are not dramatically different from the other polls' results, what with all these "English" they keep on including in such an outrageous and appalling manner?

Was it a secret report or not? You've got me confused now :) It took a FOI request to get it released, or is that nonsense?

Yes it was secret for the reason as explained by the man himself - it was a ministerial briefing for the incoming Labour government, not some sort of scandalous cover up. The information contained therein could be gathered by those who wanted to and could draw their own conclusions.

• Like 1
    Posted

Now that I take exception to. I wasn't born in Scotland but I've lived here since I was ten years old. I moved up and went into P7, and I've been here ever since, 35 years. 

What a shame you think that. One of the truly glorious things about the whole thing was the YES campaign's clear decision that if you live in Scotland then you're eligible to vote. That is what makes an inclusive, healthy, thriving society, that approach of including everyone who lives, works, is at school or college or uni, everyone who is IN Scotland. 

But you would rather separate us out by birthplace, hmm? Because you feel that makes for a better result in opinion polls. Even though birthplace is not a factor in being able to vote?

Hi BMW, how's you? Looking forward to winter?

I think the point he was making was that the sample used should have been representative of the Scottish population as a whole. Anyone whose country of birth is English is more likely to be a NO voter. In the sample used there were a disproportionate number of people who were born in England sampled, the idea is that the sample is therefore skewed towards a NO vote as it does not represent the population as a whole. It's explained a little more clearly in the link which was posted up :) It's a stats thing, nowt to do with anything else.

Yes it was secret for the reason as explained by the man himself - it was a ministerial briefing for the incoming Labour government, not some sort of scandalous cover up. The information contained therein could be gathered by those who wanted to and could draw their own conclusions.

That's what I thought...was checking :)

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Will you continue to tell us the polls are wrong if the No vote wins tomorrow?

That depends, if the vote turns out to be 60% N 40% Y then yes, we will. :p

Posted

In what way will it be a game changer?

We'll have to wait and see.

Large sample I believe (in research terms) and it's telephone-based (i think). I'm a big advocate of this trad polling method.

It's not an attack on English voters, just that the polls may be skewed which affects their usefulness in predicting which way the result is likely to go.

Posted

I think the point he was making was that the sample used should have been representative of the Scottish population as a whole. Anyone whose country of birth is English is more likely to be a NO voter. In the sample used there were a disproportionate number of people who were born in England sampled, the idea is that the sample is therefore skewed towards a NO vote as it does not represent the population as a whole. It's explained a little more clearly in the link which was posted up :) It's a stats thing, nowt to do with anything else.

That's what I thought...was checking :)

I assume you are going to provide proven evidence that the English eligible voters in Scotland will in the majority vote no?

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
    Posted

We'll have to wait and see.

Large sample I believe (in research terms) and it's telephone-based (i think). I'm a big advocate of this trad polling method.

We'll find out for certain about the polls within about 40 hours :)

I assume you are going to provide proven evidence that the English eligible voters in Scotland will in the majority vote no?

It was in the link, I think :)

Posted

Blimey, I'd better go and tell my various friends who were born in UK military bases in Germany, Cyprus, etc., that they are more likely to vote NO. It's going to come as an awfy shock to at least two of them...

I do think that's a bit daft. I can see that maybe people who've moved to Scotland as adults within the last five years, or something like that, could make a difference - but seriously, not only do the army base friends spring to mind, but I know a guy in his 80s who was born abroad, but is as Scots as they make 'em, another was born in the Stanley prison camp in Hong Kong in 1945 but is a YES campaigner… I'm trying to think of anyone I know (other than "moved her in recent years) who is a NO voter who was born outside Scotland - seriously, they're all YESes… 

I'd like to see the research that "states" that it makes a difference. Not least because the ICM polls are not showing mcuh difference from all the others, and at least two of the others are not asking at all about country of birth - if it's statistically significant, it shoudl show in the results, whether the poll is a) not asking re country of birth, or is b) weighting to reflect Scots population or is c) weighting incorrectly w/ref to Scots population.

Got any of that statistical evidence? I'd be interested to read it. Ta! 

(I'm fine - posted in the Scotland thread a few days ago to say I'm only getting a Scottish winter til Nov 20th as I'm moving to Shropshire to live with my other half - whole new set of weather patterns but I shouldn't lose out on too much because of Embra's snaw shield… looks like I'll actually get more snaw, just that it'll be spelt differently… :) How's yourself and Mrs Catch? Well, I hope?)

Posted
    You'd be forgiven for thinking that ICM believe this is a trivial matter, but in fact country of birth is still one of the strongest predictors of referendum vote - in this poll Yes lead by 52.2% to 47.8% among Scottish-born people, while No lead by 75.6% to 24.4% among English-born people.

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/

A little plea to everyone...reading the whole thread would help a lot of peeps on here. People seem a wee bit trigger happy today. Love ya all :) :) :)

Hardly surprising comment from Sir John. Normally I have a grudging respect for the man but on this occasion I would like to hear the whole interview before condemning him. Do you have a link?

The interview with Sir John Major can be viewed and read here - http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2014/09/16/scottish-have-been-fed-a-load-of-pap-by-nationalists-says-former-uk-pm-john-major/

Suspect it may dent your grudging respect!

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Timeline for results.

attachicon.gifDeclaration Times.PNG

Tip - If linking You tube items, they do not embed into posts if the link you have found from is part of a list.

To embed a YouTube vid you just need the www.youtube.com/watch=gfdgdftert36 if you link www.youtube.com/watch=hgfhdfhdgfh45&... then it won't link correctly.

why don't they embed for me when I only use that bit is it because of my signature?