Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Catch isn't it the last move of any losing campaign. You can't beat the argument so play the man and crucify the people. Desperate stuff!

So we're Nazis, we're loyalist terrorists...what next. We've not been called the KKK.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

it was supposed to be a joke or did you not get that

It was? Well you're seriously involved in this topic so you can understand why it flew over my head...

Anyway, I left Scotland 3 weeks ago and for me it's been really good timing in terms of the referendum because I'm sick of it. The 'fanatic' minority from both sides are extreme and they're creating divisions that I hope won't last. On paper independence would be a huge change, but coming from someone who's lived in Scotland, I know that whatever happens, when I come back to Glasgow it will still be the Glasgow that I know and love. In that sense, I honestly couldn't care less what happens on Thursday.

Edited by Harve
    Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Lol! As you've noticed I haven't projected a winner! Those groupings don't all follow current polling, some polls put 16-24 as No, I've disagreed with that, also some polls put  45-54 as a weak Yes, I'd put that as No.

I would say you could correlate this result with a personality questionnaire, with a lot of uncertainties you have to take into account personality types, risk averseness and how identity and what it means to each individual weighs up.

If Yes supporters say they're voting on economic reasons they're not telling the truth IMO, this is being used to validate a decision to a pollster. I had to laugh at a poll finding which found 70 percent of Yes's saying this was a head decision, you have to vote with your heart if you're a Yes, that's as good a reason to vote Yes as any other.

I don't know you BUS but I sense this is a heart decision and theres nothing wrong with that, its funny how we still feel judged as people because we have to use what we perceive as acceptable reasons to others to justify a perfectly valid position.

We're not robots, personally I'd hope this was a heart decision.

defo the heart like I have said before on here my last name is Wallace I was on the YES train the minute I fell out of my maw I wouldn't even care if I was worse of through it but I don't believe we will be

• Like 2
    Posted

In fairness BUS a lot of NO signs have been vandalised. A lot of YES signs have been vandalised too. What does this tell us? We've got too much spare paint, as a nation.

I've just checked and my cupboard has been raided look out for candy pink on any signs and let me know :rofl:

Posted

So we're Nazis, we're loyalist terrorists...what next. We've not been called the KKK.

The KKK one was done just over a year ago. Scotland on Sunday's infamous 'KLAN ALBA' headline with the doctoring of the famous photo of the saltire being raised against a rising Sun on Calton Hill to show a swastika.

Further to the question of will YES supporters accept the result, the front page of the Mail and the linked piece in the Telegraph has worrying undertones of trying to pain a false image on which to challenge the legitimacy of a yes vote.

Posted

It was? Well you're seriously involved in this topic so you can understand why it flew over my head...

Anyway, I left Scotland 3 weeks ago and for me it's been really good timing in terms of the referendum because I'm sick of it. The 'fanatic' minority from both sides are extreme and they're creating divisions that I hope won't last. On paper independence would be a huge change, but coming from someone who's lived in Scotland, I know that whatever happens, when I come back to Glasgow it will still be the Glasgow that I know and love. In that sense, I honestly couldn't care less what happens on Thursday.

yeah I understand the confusion I have decided to take a lighter hearted approach I know YES have it wrapped up now.

the division isn't that bad maybe some words exchanged over debate but jesus that goes on every Christmas any way its the MSM making a huge thing out of it

Posted

damn I thought I had a picture saved of an orange order guy dressed in KKK in Edinburgh the other day but I must have forgot to save it would have been good as well to pop up with that after the orange lodge in westrminster

Posted

I have a sneaky feeling that I made my decision years ago with my heart, and have then spent all the time in between backing up my opinion with facts which fit my opinion. I wonder if there's a test for this?

Thanks for your honesty. It's quite normal to want to validate a decision, we tune out what we don't want to hear and let the other stuff through. Personally I've been less than impressed by the economic arguments put forward by Yes however I will never disagree with anyone who says to me they're voting Yes because of the heart.

Maybe independence is a sort of transference for some people, regardless I'm not here to judge anybody. As long as people are happy and comfortable with their decision that's all that matters regardless of whether they vote Yes or No.

Posted

The KKK one was done just over a year ago. Scotland on Sunday's infamous 'KLAN ALBA' headline with the doctoring of the famous photo of the saltire being raised against a rising Sun on Calton Hill to show a swastika.

Further to the question of will YES supporters accept the result, the front page of the Mail and the linked piece in the Telegraph has worrying undertones of trying to pain a false image on which to challenge the legitimacy of a yes vote.

I must have blotted that one out :D

A small part of me thinks a narrow NO win might be for the best for the time being. A narrow YES win will never get accepted by a large section of the unionist population. It's only a small part of me that thinks this about a NO win...about half my left pinkie.

Posted

Thanks for your honesty. It's quite normal to want to validate a decision, we tune out what we don't want to hear and let the other stuff through. Personally I've been less than impressed by the economic arguments put forward by Yes however I will never disagree with anyone who says to me they're voting Yes because of the heart.

Maybe independence is a sort of transference for some people, regardless I'm not here to judge anybody. As long as people are happy and comfortable with their decision that's all that matters regardless of whether they vote Yes or No.

I think I've read somewhere that most people make a lot of their decisions following a similar process to the one I've described, I would look it up on Google but I really can't be bothered at this time of night.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I bet they thought that in 79 and 97 as well :rofl:

or look on it in this way our two wins have had both 7 and 9 in them so this time we are screwed :shok:

18th Sept 2014

1+8 = 9

Sept = 9th month

2+0+1+4 = 7

Phew, that's that settled then, we're on for a win again.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

44-48N Survation.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

In fairness BUS a lot of NO signs have been vandalised. A lot of YES signs have been vandalised too. What does this tell us? We've got too much spare paint, as a nation.

you'll soon have a glut of Army Green, Navy Blue and RAF Blue-grey!!

Oops..I think I'll get my coat!!!

• Like 1
    Posted

I must have blotted that one out :D

A small part of me thinks a narrow NO win might be for the best for the time being. A narrow YES win will never get accepted by a large section of the unionist population. It's only a small part of me that thinks this about a NO win...about half my left pinkie.

You and I are as one on this, CMD. As I posted several dozen pages back, I think Scottish independence should happen, but just in a more objective, planned and collaborative way, enabling preparation on both sides of the border, and a more considered approach to what we should be sharing long-term for the best for all parties. I think a small no win will deliver that, in the end, and both sides will - i hope - have learned lessons from what's happened since 2011. I hate this oppositional approach to politics, which has spilled over into this referendum and messed things up good and proper.

A long timescale with a clear timetable to full economic independence and a proper partnership of equals - and a properly independent Scotland by 2025 - would tick all of my boxes.

Edited by decomm18
    Posted

So Danny Alexander is saying that if Scotland votes YES Sterling falls into the abyss! Tell's you a couple of things, there will be a currency union if Scotland wants it and Sterling needs Scotland more than Scotland needs Sterling.

• Like 2
    Posted

firstly now what tools they have doing the maths on tis survation poll

they may have no ahead but dependent on real maths its either 16/17 or 17/18 or all undecided coming over to YES

post-18233-0-87968500-1410910037_thumb.j

Posted

18th Sept 2014

1+8 = 9

Sept = 9th month

2+0+1+4 = 7

Phew, that's that settled then, we're on for a win again.

BRILLIANT :yahoo:

Posted

where did all the angry people go did they take my post to heart earlier :search:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

I didn't know this thread existed until Jo mentioned it just now in her weather report.

I'm not reading back 600 odd pages - or I'll miss the vote (and no doubt have a nervous breakdown, I haven't looked but I suspect this thread will be worse than the waiting for snow ones)

However - just on this page I landed on (Page 644) I see mention of the NHS. Now I don't know if anyone has seen this today - and it really doesn't matter which way you are planning on voting - I urge everyone to watch it - and if you know ANYONE in England at all - convince them to watch it too - it has to be sent viral.

Westminster is constantly telling us the SNP is lying about the NHS being sold off, but today I came across the video -  yes I was pointed to it by the Yes campaign but that's beside the point when you see it. It was created by people who work for the NHS who are extremely worried and fed up with the "secret" sell off. It makes pretty distressing viewing but it's worth watching and spreading as far as you can. It's a really really rough edit and I assume they plan to show it on TV at some point, but the reality is that it's the sort of documentary that will get banned before it ever gets the chance to be on TV.

http://vimeo.com/106271180

• Like 5
    Posted

I didn't know this thread existed until Jo mentioned it just now in her weather report.

I'm not reading back 600 odd pages - or I'll miss the vote (and no doubt have a nervous breakdown, I haven't looked but I suspect this thread will be worse than the waiting for snow ones)

However - just on this page I landed on (Page 644) I see mention of the NHS. Now I don't know if anyone has seen this today - and it really doesn't matter which way you are planning on voting - I urge everyone to watch it - and if you know ANYONE in England at all - convince them to watch it too - it has to be sent viral.

Westminster is constantly telling us the SNP is lying about the NHS being sold off, but today I came across the video -  yes I was pointed to it by the Yes campaign but that's beside the point when you see it. It was created by people who work for the NHS who are extremely worried and fed up with the "secret" sell off. It makes pretty distressing viewing but it's worth watching and spreading as far as you can. It's a really really rough edit and I assume they plan to show it on TV at some point, but the reality is that it's the sort of documentary that will get banned before it ever gets the chance to be on TV.

http://vimeo.com/106271180

WOW never mind any of the scare stories better together or people in here throw out that is a proper scare story some of the things the doctors and nurses go on about sounds well bad especially the company coming in is being looked into in America by the FBI for performing heart ops and replacements without them being needed by changing peoples notes then charging them for it that's just totally mental and If I was anyone on here from England instead of telling us we shouldn't go for independence they should be out there in London protesting and doing whatever is needed to stop this from happening.

I've already posted it to facebook and twitter and everyone else should do the same there isn't much time left to save our NHS from this nightmare freak show.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    • Like 3
    Posted

I agree regarding the currency union. The ex deputy governor of the Bank of England was talking on R4 just now and said much the same thing. His point was that Scotland wouldn't gain total sovereignty if there was a currency union which rather defeats the objective.

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Even though I would rather Scotland stay I do find the military scare stories to be a little ridiculous.

Why would Scotland need a huge standing army etc. I don't anticipate many evil dictators looking to invade. Scotland would be similar to the Scandinavian countries in my point of view - generally taking a back seat in the international arena and just concentrating on their own affairs.

• Like 1
    Posted

I agree regarding the currency union. The ex deputy governor of the Bank of England was talking on R4 just now and said much the same thing. His point was that Scotland wouldn't gain total sovereignty if there was a currency union which rather defeats the objective.

Exactly what I think and believe I posted yesterday

Posted

Both you and CS above you are spot on. The currency issue has muddied the waters. It should have been a clear cut, "Yes we'll use the pound until we're independent, then we'll have our own currency". It has bewildered and confused me as to what the problem is. Too much time has been wasted on debating a CU. Time which should have been spent on other issues. If YES loses the vote (which is looking likely), then to me this could be the vote loser. Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong, but although it looks close it's not looking good for YES.