Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Im sure the appalling journalism in papers such as the daily mail is helping the yes the campaign. There front page tomorrow is interesting. I'm guessing there are no more polls out tonight? Some have suggested an Ipsos poll however im sure i read Lorenzos post which suggests tomorrow?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-29216377

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

No. People are waking up. Fact.

Forget the trolls, or at least there's one question we could ALL ask them. What does a democracy mean? Simple. Very, very simple question but I guess they all get back under their stores then - must obey orders....

Democracy means the freedom to ask questions. The freedom for all to have their say. It means free and fair votes and vote counts. It means accepting results.

Its what we here all do - I hope and expect!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

I will, of course, accept the result.

We will, of course, stop feeding you like a troll. Please accept that.

You bring absolutely nothing to this thread except bitterness. (Perhaps time to head back to the Global Warming/Climate Change threads ?)

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Devonian, no we will not accept the result. We've all decided via PM that in the event of a No vote we'll form the NWSLF (NetWeather Scottish Liberation Front). In our upcoming winter campaign we'll march south armed with snowballs to lay siege to London. I think you should be safe though as by the time we get around to Devon we'll have run out of ammunition and are not likely to be able to restock locally as it'll no doubt be too bloody mild.

that's one of the funniest things I've read in this thread mate

• Like 1
    Posted

Last time I checked this was a British forum on Scottish politics for all to discuss? Does it not affect us as well as it is still the same country? Seems to be a select few that have a chip about those south of the border and rather than discuss the issues they just like to flame anyone that supports a 'NO' vote regardless with little substantiating evidence to support there viewpoints at times.

Like I said before most of the British have no interest in the economics of the debate we just don't want to see our great nation divided.  I think the Yes side of the debate seems to attract the more extremest nationalists though.

I think what nov13 ment to say was we all love you our friends but it would be nice to just talk between us Scottish we wouldn't mind coming into the uk thread to speak to you as well though to discuss what fears you might have just sometimes it would be nice to have a place where we can talk about you without being vilified for it.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Yes Bus I think tomorrow is D Day for The Sun. I hate to back Murdoch but it could be worth a few % to us. Maybe he has left it late to get maximum impact. The Ipsos poll is out shortly and they have the best record of any pollster. I still think Salmond has one final trick up his sleeve.

The Sun or rather Rupert Murdo$h, ALWAYS likes to be seen to back the winner and has changed it's allegiance (in UK politics) more often the AS has changed his mind about currency (sorry THAT is meant as a tongue in cheek joke.) :wink:

Anyone know the Gaelic for that infamous headline?...

"It's The Sun Wot Won It"

Posted

We will, of course, stop feeding you like a troll. Please accept that.

You bring absolutely nothing to this thread except bitterness. (Perhaps time to head back to the Global Warming/Climate Change threads ?)

I know we disagree. That is what democracy allows.

Posted

Looking at all the polling data so far and going with past research into voting behaviour I think we're likely to see the following results in terms of age groups:

16-24 Yes

25- 34 Strongest Yes

35-44 Strong Yes

45-54  No

55-64 Strong No

65+ Strongest No

The age group with the highest turnout close between 55 and 65+

Late breakers: Women towards No, Men probably edge towards Yes.

Posted

The Sun or rather Rupert Murdo$h, ALWAYS likes to be seen to back the winner and has changed it's allegiance (in UK politics) more often the AS has changed his mind about currency (sorry THAT is meant as a tongue in cheek joke.) :wink:

Anyone know the Gaelic for that infamous headline?...

"It's The Sun Wot Won It"

I've been trying to say in these forums for a while now its the sun that controls everything

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

My nation is Scotland. Yes would not be dividing a nation it would be normalisation.

• Like 1
    Posted

Looking at all the polling data so far and going with past research into voting behaviour I think we're likely to see the following results in terms of age groups:

16-24 Yes

25- 34 Strongest Yes

35-44 Strong Yes

45-54  No

55-64 Strong No

65+ Strongest No

The age group with the highest turnout close between 55 and 65+

Late breakers: Women towards No, Men probably edge towards Yes.

I bet they thought that in 79 and 97 as well :rofl:

or look on it in this way our two wins have had both 7 and 9 in them so this time we are screwed :shok:

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    Posted

This forum has been hijacked by a lot of people south of the border just to stoke up resentment. You know who you are and I am not saying all of you.Why does the idea of a nation making a decision democratically cause you so much anger. Chill we don't hate anyone we just want our people to decide where our government should be.

I have always been very pro independence and still am but i have to say one or two posters on here with their aggressive attitude and flowery rhetoric (although that is not the correct word in this instance) and complete disregard of reality do the yes side no favours. I'm pretty sure if I was in the position of being an undecided voter and had to listen to hours of this it would quickly make up my mind.

Edited by knocker
    • Like 8
    Posted

I think what nov13 ment to say was we all love you our friends but it would be nice to just talk between us Scottish we wouldn't mind coming into the uk thread to speak to you as well though to discuss what fears you might have just sometimes it would be nice to have a place where we can talk about you without being vilified for it.

I find this thread very enlightening and I hope some of what I have posted (mainly about the economics aspect) has made some sense, It has never been my intention to scaremonger but I believe IMHO that both campaigns have been at times economical with the truth mainly for their own political ends.

The second TV debate with Darling and Salmond was a classic example of how not to have a balanced factual debate. Two grown men each arguing black is white and shouting over each other not answering the questions.

... but that is politics and I would expect nothing less from politicians!

Posted

I've been trying to say in these forums for a while now its the sun that controls everything

I agree.... and out of principle I has always refused to have $ky. I'd rather spend the £300-£400 annual subscription on a (sometimes Scottish)  holiday.

Posted

quick man take this tin of paint and chuck it over that sign we need a front page tomorrow

post-18233-0-83880700-1410906656_thumb.j

Posted

This is frustrating. Would you prefer to talk between just people who live in Scotland and can vote on Thursday? Or just Scottish folk? Or just Yes voters? Not everyone posts constructively so I can sort of understand the sentiment, but I get the feeling it's the latter. There's no reason not to welcome non-Scots into the thread - you don't have to be Scottish to have an opinion, and an ignorant Scot will be more misinformed than someone with an open mind that's never even been to Scotland.

I guess my point is that your nationality doesn't guarantee that your thoughts will be a beacon of reason.

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

This article is so badly unbalanced it's vertical. There has been "nastiness" on both sides for a start (two YES shops with flats above them have been firebombed, but hey ho, let's focus on the "angry demonstrators" who protested at the BBC and some nasty YES people shouting for a NO campaigner to get their P45). Plus, worse than this, the author compares Salmond with Paisley which is disgusting. Paisley was an Orangeman, and the Orange Order had/have strong links with out and out terrorists. To try and compare the current situation in Scotland with shootings and bombings in NI is very wrong.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomgallagher/100286461/salmonds-stoking-of-the-yes-mob-is-reminiscent-of-the-young-ian-paisley/

• Like 3
    Posted

Yep Bus propaganda in overdrive. We can't do anything about the Daily Mail. They will run a different front page in Scotland. Gutter journalism and the las time I checked we weren't voting for any party. I remember when journalism used to be considered a respectable educated profession.

• Like 1
    Posted

I find this thread very enlightening and I hope some of what I have posted (mainly about the economics aspect) has made some sense, It has never been my intention to scaremonger but I believe IMHO that both campaigns have been at times economical with the truth mainly for their own political ends.

The second TV debate with Darling and Salmond was a classic example of how not to have a balanced factual debate. Two grown men each arguing black is white and shouting over each other not answering the questions.

... but that is politics and I would expect nothing less from politicians!

you have been fine you can stay and we will adopt you and bring you to our new eutopia there is a few in here though that aren't getting in at all and if they do they might get skanted and threw back over the border

This is frustrating. Would you prefer to talk between just people who live in Scotland and can vote on Thursday? Or just Scottish folk? Or just Yes voters? Not everyone posts constructively so I can sort of understand the sentiment, but I get the feeling it's the latter. There's no reason not to welcome non-Scots into the thread - you don't have to be Scottish to have an opinion, and an ignorant Scot will be more misinformed than someone with an open mind that's never even been to Scotland.

I guess my point is that your nationality doesn't guarantee that your thoughts will be a beacon of reason.

it was supposed to be a joke or did you not get that

Posted

Catch isn't it the last move of any losing campaign. You can't beat the argument so play the man and crucify the people. Desperate stuff!

• Like 1
    Posted

I bet they thought that in 79 and 97 as well :rofl:

or look on it in this way our two wins have had both 7 and 9 in them so this time we are screwed :shok:

Lol! As you've noticed I haven't projected a winner! Those groupings don't all follow current polling, some polls put 16-24 as No, I've disagreed with that, also some polls put  45-54 as a weak Yes, I'd put that as No.

I would say you could correlate this result with a personality questionnaire, with a lot of uncertainties you have to take into account personality types, risk averseness and how identity and what it means to each individual weighs up.

If Yes supporters say they're voting on economic reasons they're not telling the truth IMO, this is being used to validate a decision to a pollster. I had to laugh at a poll finding which found 70 percent of Yes's saying this was a head decision, you have to vote with your heart if you're a Yes, that's as good a reason to vote Yes as any other.

I don't know you BUS but I sense this is a heart decision and theres nothing wrong with that, its funny how we still feel judged as people because we have to use what we perceive as acceptable reasons to others to justify a perfectly valid position.

We're not robots, personally I'd hope this was a heart decision.

Posted

quick man take this tin of paint and chuck it over that sign we need a front page tomorrow

attachicon.gifBxr1DjNIEAEzbI8.jpg

In fairness BUS a lot of NO signs have been vandalised. A lot of YES signs have been vandalised too. What does this tell us? We've got too much spare paint, as a nation.

• Like 5
    Posted

Will you accept the result of the referendum as democratic and fair? I just sense some here will only do that if the vote is one way...

When the result is announced, if it is a no vote then a chapter of the generations old constitutional debate in Scotland closes and a new one begins. I do not believe the referendum is the final word on independence if that is what you mean, because the question will be asked again if the Scottish people want it - keep in mind support for the principle of a referendum has always been far larger than support for an Independent outcome of that referendum.

If over a third of Scottish Voters reject the British state on Thursday, then the UK has to be massively reformed to win back legitimacy and if it fails to do so then the indy question will come up again perhaps sooner rather than later. The constitutional issue could well come to dominate the 2015 UK GE, the 2016 Scottish GE and the potential 2017 EU referendum.

As for democratic and fair, the referendum hasn't happened yet. I would hope that it is, but given the huge numbers postal voting I fear some morons will be trying to play silly beggars somewhere one way or the other and voting in the UK relies on a huge degree of trust. What actually recourse does an individual have if they turn up to vote at their local polling station and find that they 'have already voted' - except they haven't?

• Like 1
    Posted

Lol! As you've noticed I haven't projected a winner! Those groupings don't all follow current polling, some polls put 16-24 as No, I've disagreed with that, also some polls put  45-54 as a weak Yes, I'd put that as No.

I would say you could correlate this result with a personality questionnaire, with a lot of uncertainties you have to take into account personality types, risk averseness and how identity and what it means to each individual weighs up.

If Yes supporters say they're voting on economic reasons they're not telling the truth IMO, this is being used to validate a decision to a pollster. I had to laugh at a poll finding which found 70 percent of Yes's saying this was a head decision, you have to vote with your heart if you're a Yes, that's as good a reason to vote Yes as any other.

I don't know you BUS but I sense this is a heart decision and theres nothing wrong with that, its funny how we still feel judged as people because we have to use what we perceive as acceptable reasons to others to justify a perfectly valid position.

We're not robots, personally I'd hope this was a heart decision.

I have a sneaky feeling that I made my decision years ago with my heart, and have then spent all the time in between backing up my opinion with facts which fit my opinion. I wonder if there's a test for this?

• Like 2
    Posted

This article is so badly unbalanced it's vertical. There has been "nastiness" on both sides for a start (two YES shops with flats above them have been firebombed, but hey ho, let's focus on the "angry demonstrators" who protested at the BBC and some nasty YES people shouting for a NO campaigner to get their P45). Plus, worse than this, the author compares Salmond with Paisley which is disgusting. Paisley was an Orangeman, and the Orange Order had/have strong links with out and out terrorists. To try and compare the current situation in Scotland with shootings and bombings in NI is very wrong.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomgallagher/100286461/salmonds-stoking-of-the-yes-mob-is-reminiscent-of-the-young-ian-paisley/

well look here

post-18233-0-93617700-1410907453_thumb.j

• Like 1