Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

well I think salmond came across better than brown in that programme even looked more relaxed and approachable and had better answers to stuff and explained a good bit of the scaring going on.

yes :rofl:

ok that's fine. But to divide the union is one thing, to divide your own people is something else.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Sir John Major on CNN Amanpour show just now - "The Scottish people have been fed a load of pap"

By whom?

Posted

I have always said if no win its not an honest win. If you control your citizens with fear you end up with an angry mob.

My god... Now Yes threaten violence unless they get their way. Scary!

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

ok that's fine. But to divide the union is one thing, to divide your own people is something else.

Scotland is one of the friendliest nations on earth after the vote is done it wont take us long to get back to normal we don't hold grudges over silly little things

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Salmond is right regarding the further devolution pledge from Westminster, it's nothing but a token gesture which will probably not see the light of day anyway. I don't know why it was brought up in the first place to be honest. It looks like a bribe which has been done without any say from the public of England, Wales or Northern Ireland or indeed many of the politicians around the UK. It looks like a complete shambles. 

Worth mentioning one other thing. Peoples opinion of Salmond will not change after this, it looks very much like a dive into the trenches and hope everything blows over strategy in the event of a yes vote.

Edited by Captain shortwave
    • Like 3
    Posted

Sorry, the 'Yes' movement

Hardly surprising comment from Sir John. Normally I have a grudging respect for the man but on this occasion I would like to hear the whole interview before condemning him. Do you have a link?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Whatever the result now, the Scottish people are divided - AS has certainly achieved that. To try and infer that you are not a proper Scot and proud to be so by voting to keep the Union is disgraceful. We have seen that displayed in this thread a number of times.

That was seen in the way Ed milliband was treated today. Not the Yes campaigns proudest moment.

Edited by chionomaniac
    • Like 3
    Posted

Whatever the result now, the Scottish people are divided - AS has certainly achieved that. To try and infer that you are not a proper Scot and proud to be so by voting to keep the Union is disgraceful. We have seen that displayed in this thread a number of times.

That was seen in the way Ed milliband was treated today. Not the Yes campaigns proudest moment.

Chiono, will you please link to where Alex Salmond says "you are not a proper Scot and proud to be so by voting to keep the union"

Thanks

Posted

Salmond is right regarding the further devolution pledge from Westminster, it's nothing but a token gesture which will probably not see the light of day anyway. I don't know why it was brought up in the first place to be honest. It looks like a bribe which has been done without any say from the public of England, Wales or Northern Ireland or indeed many of the politicians around the UK. It looks like a complete shambles. 

The 'We Love You' pledge today shows just how desperate their position is.

Lib Dems promised no tuition fees 'till they played roll over and tickle tum with the Tories. Labour don't have the power to promise anything and Cameron doesn't even have the support from his back benchers to deliver.

It is total bull!

• Like 2
    Posted

its funny how we are being asked in here about defence and how we would defend ourselves and told our parliament doesn't care about us while in London there allowing ISIS supporters to march through there streets but not a word

post-18233-0-64664700-1410902888_thumb.j

Posted

Chiono, will you please link to where Alex Salmond says "you are not a proper Scot and proud to be so by voting to keep the union"

Thanks

I didn't say he had - I said that it had been infered by the Yes vote and that we have seen that in this thread. 

• Like 3
    Posted

My God...and No have threatened famine, pestilence, plague, border walls, we'll all become "foreigners", impoverished, no one will want us, no seats at the top table, the Spanish will steal our fish and we won't be able to stop them, blah blah blah scare story, were to daft to go it alone, we'll have haggis as a currency, we're to fearty....etc etc macetc..

• Like 4
    Posted

Miliband was caught in a scrum between both YES and NO supporters and left by the back door - not his finest moment either.

I don't like intimidation by either side. Salmond and Sturgeon seem to be able to walkabout and meet people with no problem, I wonder why?

Posted

I didn't say he had - I said that it had been infered by the Yes vote and that we have seen that in this thread.

And people in this thread saying those things are Alex Salmond's fault and this all encompassing Yes vote? Are the Yes campaign The Borg or something, can they not think and speak as individuals?

Posted

how milliband was treated today in Edinburgh was nothing to do with the YES campaign it was members of the public and that is how it was reported on the news that I saw and these people are angry because its been proven they are lying to them so please don't throw accusations about politicians having this stuff go on like the no campaign seem hell bent on doing 

• Like 2
    Posted

Miliband was caught in a scrum between both YES and NO supporters and left by the back door - not his finest moment either.

I don't like intimidation by either side. Salmond and Sturgeon seem to be able to walkabout and meet people with no problem, I wonder why?

Possibly because the NO vote are more respectful and try not to infiltrate and hijack the walkabouts to push their own agendas.

• Like 4
    Posted

I thought Brown and Salmond both came across well. Indeed I thought Dimbleby gave Salmond a pretty easy ride until the CU.

I'm still wondering why BT ended up with Darling and not Brown who IMO comes across as more earnest and endearing and certainly will appeal to older voters.

I know he's viewed by some Scots as the anti-Christ but personally I think he got a raw deal and I have quite a lot of time for him.

The funniest bit of the hour was Salmonds wooden I love the English bit which looked rather staged.

Posted

My God...and No have threatened famine, pestilence, plague, border walls, we'll all become "foreigners", impoverished, no one will want us, no seats at the top table, the Spanish will steal our fish and we won't be able to stop them, blah blah blah scare story, were to daft to go it alone, we'll have haggis as a currency, we're to fearty....etc etc macetc..

Will you accept the result? Seems like some wont!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

A genuine question... does anyone have an specific details of polling intentions in  "Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East, Labour" ?

Today I was doing some Corporation Tax work and realised that Cumbernauld is the biggest HMRC office in the UK employing 1400 people.

I would like to think some of these jobs would be needed for Scotland's own taxation system post any transitional arrangements. I would doubt it would need all 1400 which employs people trained with specific skill sets.. Additionally in percentage terms, 13% of UK HMRC staff are in Scotland, a significantly above-population-share of the total. More than 3,000 more posts are allocated in Scotland than a population share would provide.

Thanks

• Like 1
    Posted

Possibly because the NO vote are more respectful and try not to infiltrate and hijack the walkabouts to push their own agendas.

Sorry, not going to bite on that one. BUS might though :diablo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The 'We Love You' pledge today shows just how desperate their position is.

Lib Dems promised no tuition fees 'till they played roll over and tickle tum with the Tories. Labour don't have the power to promise anything and Cameron doesn't even have the support from his back benchers to deliver.

It is total bull!

desperate or simply out of touch with reality? Probably both to be honest.

To be fair to Brown, he was better than I thought he would be tonight, though that isn't saying much. It would have been a car crash with Darling. At least I did pick up a little bit of sincerity in Brown's actions and reasoning. Even if some of it is totally wrong  :doh:

Edited by Captain shortwave
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

There's many a unionist who has been heard to say "I'm a proud Scot, but I'm voting NO"...or that bizarre banner "Proud to be Scots, delighted to be United".

I think it's safe to say the "I'm a proud Scot" line is used a lot by both sides.

And people in this thread saying those things are Alex Salmond's fault and this all encompassing Yes vote? Are the Yes campaign The Borg or something, can they not think and speak as individuals?

Sorry #67825, did I miss a command? Over and out from #81735

Posted

You'd make a great spanner given your ability to twist absolutely everything posted. if it's a narrow no vote on Thursday and the promises go the way of the standard Nick Clegg signed pledge, it will be those who voted no on the basis of something approaching devomax and feel they were conned that will be the really angry ones.

• Like 3
    Posted

Will you accept the result? Seems like some wont!

Of course we have to accept the result. But don't think any of the UK's problems will melt away if it's a result for NO.

The UK is irreparably broken and THAT lies firmly at the door of the Establishment and Westminster.

• Like 2