Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Decomm I wouldn't take the Torygraphs opinion on anything in Scotland seriously. That paper is completely anti Scottish. Anyway I take your points but they are really just opinions.

It's not the Telegraph - it's ex-Naval people writing to the Telegraph. And sorry, not opinions, but fact. Something the white paper's short on

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Is there a Survation poll out tonight as well?

Due at 10.30pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

It's not the Telegraph - it's ex-Naval people writing to the Telegraph. And sorry, not opinions, but fact. Something the white paper's short on

From said paper:

rather than one run by Westminster which sees Scotland as an afterthought and can’t even defend our coastline properly.â€

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

The more I read about the tactics used by the No campaign, and some of the background to all this, the more I hope that you Scots take your opportunity. One quote sums it up very well:

Better Together - if you allow your vote to reflect not your hopes, but your fears.

• Like 3
    Posted

The more I read about the tactics used by the No campaign, and some of the background to all this, the more I hope that you Scots take your opportunity. One quote sums it up very well:

Better Together - if you allow your vote to reflect not your hopes, but your fears.

I do agree they've been far too negative, they should have come up with a concise devolution strategy from the beginning.

With that being said my experience of the nationalists is one of the things which has turned me from Yes to No were i still in Scotland (i'm Scottish birth but live in England), i've found many to be inflexible, arrogant and unwilling to accept any questioning of any factor. Thankfully Netweather is not so extreme.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I have always said if no win its not an honest win. If you control your citizens with fear you end up with an angry mob.

• Like 2
    Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29230802

Two things here. Gobsmacked BBC have reported it.  Was it really 1500 people? (They said 350 folks protested outside Pacific Quay recently when in actual fact it was over 4000.

Posted

I have always said if no win its not an honest win. If you control your citizens with fear you end up with an angry mob.

Hmm...and "Yes" have not?!

End of free SNHS being the "Yes" main scare story.

Posted

Strange comment.

So you are saying that all Yes voters have a clear and free mind but ALL no voters are brainwashed by propaganda?

• Like 1
    Posted

Indeed, with a privatised NHS that would happen, Best to vote YES to avoid that scenario, don't you think?

Posted

Watching this debate, Salmond is a master of not answering a direct question, goes off on a separate tangent (Westminster usually). He's a very good politician whatever you think of him

Posted

Strange comment.

So you are saying that all Yes voters have a clear and free mind but ALL no voters are brainwashed by propaganda?

Quite simple. Scaremongering has not been a part of the YES campaign's strategy. Can the same be said for NO? The answer is people just become so peeved off with reading the same old trotted out scares, they genuinely feel angered. It's only natural when a country tries to cleanse itself from this negativity.

Posted

Watching this debate, Salmond is a master of not answering a direct question, goes off on a separate tangent (Westminster usually). He's a very good politician whatever you think of him

I would go as far to say his deputy is a cleverer cookie than he.

Posted

Was there to be any polling for those interviews?

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

well I think salmond came across better than brown in that programme even looked more relaxed and approachable and had better answers to stuff and explained a good bit of the scaring going on.

Strange comment.

yes :rofl:

• Like 1
    Posted

well I think salmond came across better than brown in that programme even looked more relaxed and approachable and had better answers to stuff and explained a good bit of the scaring going on.

yes :rofl:

Funny how we see different things, he was asked about currency, the EU, the NH-, the risks and he didn't answer any of them directly, just went off on tangents about Adam Smith, Westminster etc, it was noticeable how 'nice' he was to England and it's people though , a very definite tactic I felt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Survation in Mail, also confirms #Yes momentum. Yes 48%, No 52% - compared to Yes 46%, No 54% in Saturday Survation poll.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Due at 10.30pm.

According to Sky News, it is a same result as the last two polls. Just still stalemate.

Edited by pip22
    Posted

It's been done to death. We know control of the NHS in Scotland is a devolved power, we know that it is funded through the Barnett Formula. We know that formula will be revised, and, if not in detail  it WILL be a reduction in the total amount. It is disingenuous to say that we could make up any shortfall (up to 3p) in local taxation that would deliver less money than the costs of collection. The only way to ensure that creeping privatisation doesn't bury the NHS in Scotland is to have total control of our own finances.

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 1
    Posted

So its what known as a statistical tie. I am looking forward to seeing the Ipsos poll. However I am very suspicious that 3 pollsters are showing exactly the same percentage. They all use different methology yet produce identical results!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Funny how we see different things, he was asked about currency, the EU, the NH-, the risks and he didn't answer any of them directly, just went off on tangents about Adam Smith, Westminster etc, it was noticeable how 'nice' he was to England and it's people though , a very definite tactic I felt

I didn't think we went off too much just when he was having to try and explain about why these things are an issue in the first place because there is no issue over them just what is being portrayed.

maybe as we are voting different we are going into it looking from different points of view and noticing things a bit differently through this.

• Like 2
    Posted

According to Sky News, it is a same result as the last two polls. Just still stalemate.

There's an interesting poll on Thursday - it's called The Referendum. It's the ONLY poll that counts and it's for the Peoples of Scotland decide.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I know how much people love boring pensions (see my earlier posts) but Royal Mail had one of the biggest pension deficit prior to privitisation and as part of that process the UK government took on this massive liability c.£29bn..

If AS renationalises Royal Mail I would assume he would take on Scotland's proportion of that bought out pension liability..

From SNP white paper.

Our approach to renationalisation will be considered in the light of circumstances at the point of independence, including the prevailing structure of the Royal Mail. At present, the Royal Mail is predominantly in private ownership, with around 10 per cent owned by employees and around a third remaining in public ownership. Bringing the Royal Mail into public ownership will require negotiation with the UK on Scotland's share of the government stake, and establishing a new publicly-owned postal service in Scotland. Costs arising from this process will also require negotiations with Westminster