Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

It probably being change to Scottish Mail.

As long as it's not the Scottish Daily Mail!

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

As long as it's not the Scottish Daily Mail!

you don't need to worry it will still be royal mail as we are keeping the queen as our monarch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Missed the Opinium poll in earlier update of schedule.

Debate at 21:00 with Salmond / Darling chaired by Dimbleby.

Polls

21:00 ICM poll for The Guardian
    21:15 Opinium for the Telegraph.
    22:30 Survation poll for the Scottish Daily Mail
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

you don't need to worry it will still be royal mail as we are keeping the queen as our monarch

Aww? Would we not get to negotiate which of the Royals we get to keep? We could give Harry a shot at being King and see how it goes. He'll never get a go in the rUK, plus he's got the right hair colour for the job (I know that's wrong on so many levels about him being a ginger, but I couldn't resist).

• Like 1
    Posted

Salmond on sky news just now - "we will use the £ if we want to".(post inde)

They can use 'a' pound (a scottish pound) but not 'the' UK pound without CU - this has been done to death. Robert Pestons article was spot on, if the vote is yes, what AS says on Fri am to assuage the markets will be interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Jo takes a look at the weather in Scotland for referendum day..

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6151;sess=

Thanks Paul, amidst all this terror either way, this is one of the most important details! :)

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Well I must admit I am no expert but I see no reason why Faslane and the Clyde could not house a conventional Navy. We will need ports in the North Sea and the Atlantic. There is likely to be new oil fields there once Trident is removed. If we can port dangerous submarines there and warships can enter. I can only conclude the area is of some strategic capability and importance. Sounds like our friend got from the borders to Central station in 8 minutes. Some trains we have these days!

What are the SNP plans for the Navy and air force?

All i'm aware of from the whitepaper is that they want 2 old frigates and 12 Typhoons (both being replaced around 2020 by vastly superior models anyway).

Posted

Thanks Paul, amidst all this terror either way, this is one of the most important details! :)

Wouldn't it be appropriate if we had a raging easterly and heavy snow in Edinburgh :-)

• Like 3
    Posted

forgot to post this with all the debate going on have my flag up I know its the wrong way round but its too big to go the right way up

post-18233-0-99888900-1410896365_thumb.j

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It's comforting to think tha despite some serious divisions on this thread, it'll all be trumped by our combined love of weather, especially as winter approaches! :)

• Like 6

For the most part I am pure blood English, or as far as any Englishman can be of pure blood, except for a little bit of the Irish from my father’s side and came into the world bearing an Irish name. As far as I know there is no Scots ancestry in my family tree but who knows what has happened in this regard over the centuries, not being in a position to trace back my family tree.

As far as the debate of ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ in respect of Scotland leaving the Union I have been very much on the side lines – certainly not qualified to vote and probably knowing insufficient to say whether a nay or a yeah would be the best result for all concerned.

However, perhaps I can offer a few personal observations – I can understand to an extent the Scottish antipathy towards the conservatives, especially in view of Scotland being used as the initial experiment on the poll tax introduced by Maggie Thatcher before introducing it to the rest of the UK. Although she was right in many respects, here she was seriously wrong – the principal of the poll tax was good but its execution was appalling leading to injustice and this seems to have led to the virtual extinction of the Tories in Scotland, so the Scots were left with being ruled from Westminster by people who had been elected mostly by the English and no doubt there are a whole host of other reasons which have brought the current referendum to a fore.

If I were Scottish I am not sure that this would have sat easily with me either, however over the decades I don’t think that many of the English gave much regard, myself included, to Scottish aspirations, just accepting the status quo â€“ I have no excuses for this and suspect that the majority of the English were the same, although we all worked with and had Scots as friends, many of them moving south of the border to live and work and in general as a people I have invariably like them, enjoyed their company and admired their work ethic and attitudes, believing that England has been enriched by the Scots in our midst.

I am still not sure whether the complete devolvement of Scotland would be the best thing for the British Isles or not – I am reminded that from circa 1916 to 1920 the Irish went through a similar phase of devolving but in a much more dramatic way – from their treatment by the English over the centuries there is little doubt they had good cause.

After almost a century of turmoil and ‘troubles’ we are reaching the stage where past disagreements are now being put behind us and as I understand there is many an old lady in the Republic who has a sneaking regard for the Royal Family.

We are bound in fact by the geography of our Islands and need to find ways where we can cohabit and co-operate with one another regardless of our varying backgrounds.

So whichever way the vote goes I suggest it should be the aim of all inhabitants of the British Isles to achieve this.

I foresee that there will be some difficulties ahead, one of which would be that there does not appear to be an automatic entry into the EU in the event of a ‘Yes’, though this would certainly have solved problems. That of currency for one. Some of the states, fearful that this may set a precedent with parts of their own country wishing to devolve may need to be convinced.

Great Britain would not be quite so ‘great’ – no doubt the Labour Party will be weakened by the loss of Scottish seats at Westminster and it would deprive the UK of a number of pro Europeans.

Still we live in interesting times and I will await the outcome with interest.

Edited by mike Meehan
    • Like 5
    Posted

What are the SNP plans for the Navy and air force?

All i'm aware of from the whitepaper is that they want 2 old frigates and 12 Typhoons (both being replaced around 2020 by vastly superior models anyway).

that's all we would need to start its only a small defence force we need for protection I cant see us going into any wars

Posted

that's all we would need to start its only a small defence force we need for protection I cant see us going into any wars

So you don't think Scotland should aid the innocent Iraqi's and Syrians from freeing themselves of ISIS?

Posted

George Monbiot, who really is something of a loose cannon in the media. Again fires in from 'outside' the debate.

Another insightful read, esp. the parts about Robert Peston and Rupert Murdoch.

Worth a look..

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/16/media-shafted-people-scotland-journalists?CMP=twt_gu

• Like 2
    Posted

Missed the Opinium poll in earlier update of schedule.

Debate at 21:00 with Salmond / Darling chaired by Dimbleby.

Polls

21:00 ICM poll for The Guardian
    21:15 Opinium for the Telegraph.
    22:30 Survation poll for the Scottish Daily Mail

BBC showing the debate between Salmond and Brown.

I get the distinct impression that bar his Sunday Politics interview, Darling has got the P45.

Posted

Thanks Summer for the correction. 

Will make for interesting viewing, Dimbleby doesn't mess around.

Posted

BBC showing the debate between Salmond and Brown.

I get the distinct impression that bar his Sunday Politics interview, Darling has got the P45.

Is it Salmond and Brown? Not Darling? Hope it's the former as the latter is about the worst representative for No as there is with his stuttering answers

Posted

Thanks Summer for the correction. 

Will make for interesting viewing, Dimbleby doesn't mess around.

Aye.

As much as i hate Brown i must admit that he has a lot more presence and i believe in Scotland Labourites view him quite well.

Should be interesting.

Is it Salmond and Brown? Not Darling? Hope it's the former as the latter is about the worst representative for No as there is with his stuttering answers

Yup, Brown.

Can watch it online or on BBC1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/scotland-decides/live

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Good News: Latest ICM poll: 52% Yes, 48% No

Posted

It's comforting to think tha despite some serious divisions on this thread, it'll all be trumped by our combined love of weather, especially as winter approaches! :)

Not if your one of those snow and ice nutters.

I have little doubt that the UK services, particularly the British Army will be only too pleased to continue consider Scottish applicants - they have more than proved themselves in history.

Posted

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/30/scotland-shale-gas-reserves-a-fraction-of-northern-englands

So if I were to be incredibly simplistic you could say that Scotland has all the oil whereas England has all the gas?

That's a bit of an over simplification, but there is more gas in the English sector of the North Sea. That said I believe Scotland could be self sufficient in natural gas for some time, which gives a good buffer while we drive renewable heat forward. It really is the less sexy but far more beneficial and efficient option for micro-renewables that can contribute significantly to energy security (along with improving building stock so we need less heat generation anyway).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

forgot to post this with all the debate going on have my flag up I know its the wrong way round but its too big to go the right way up

attachicon.gif2014-09-16 18.18.41.jpg

'Doon the Valley ;-)