Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

It should drop UK prices as they will no longer be subsidising the Scottish stores higher travel costs there?

You're assuming that all items delivered to supermarkets start at one central point, which is untrue. I'd like to see a detailed study of what goes where and how this affects the final shelf price. You're also making the assumption that all costs will be the same on each side of the border, for example, will fuel cost the same in an iScotland as in the rUK? It's wrong to assume that it's as clear cut as prices go up in Scotland and will go down in the rUK. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that you're wrong to assume it will happen.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The supermarket prices can go up in the UK as well. Its just an observation of any economy. But Bus is correct Asda corrected the government saying they said prices may go up or down. It just depends what part of a statement you choose to use. With regards to currency if Scotland uses Sterling outwith formal agreement. It will be down to the RUK refusing not the Scottish Gov asking. We will use Sterling for a few years and then create our own currency. You would honestly think that the UK is the only country in the world with a currency. It's actually not that important.

Perhaps just join the euro?

I have heard a few Irish friends complaining of increased cost of living since they joined up after all the promise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Why is it all about finance? Many of us don't want to lose you because we are British and feel the whole of the UK is our country. We can do "heart" as well, you know.

Interesting this because recent polls suggest that No voters rate identity as considerably more important than Yes voters.

:rofl:  :rofl:

You think the average Joe will see any of that money filter down?

Yes. Funny things oil funds.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I would rather the money filtered through Holyrood than Westminster Mullender.

Posted
    November13, on 15 Sept 2014 - 15:30, said:

The supermarket prices can go up in the UK as well. Its just an observation of any economy. But Bus is correct Asda corrected the government saying they said prices may go up or down. It just depends what part of a statement you choose to use. With regards to currency if Scotland uses Sterling outwith formal agreement. It will be down to the RUK refusing not the Scottish Gov asking. We will use Sterling for a few years and then create our own currency. You would honestly think that the UK is the only country in the world with a currency. It's actually not that important.

You can play as fast & loose as you like with your own currency, but you sure as hell aren't going to do that with ours (meaning the UK including Scotland). Why do I get the impression that the last statement pretty much sums up the yes campaigns response to any question put?

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Are they less valid than articles supporting independence? Seems to me, it's one of the most reasoned articles I've read. I await your point by point rebuttal.

Don't hold your breath.

There does seem to be a bit of an issue between realising what is propaganda type articles against reasoned well written and thought out pieces. Unfortunately this is where the YES vote throw in the smokescreen of scaremongering - and yet in this case the EU rules of entry are quite clear cut and nowhere when I have looked up do they have an asterisked clause that says except an Independent Scotland.

• Like 1
    Posted

You're assuming that all items delivered to supermarkets start at one central point, which is untrue. I'd like to see a detailed study of what goes where and how this affects the final shelf price. You're also making the assumption that all costs will be the same on each side of the border, for example, will fuel cost the same in an iScotland as in the rUK? It's wrong to assume that it's as clear cut as prices go up in Scotland and will go down in the rUK. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that you're wrong to assume it will happen.

Not everything no and I am sure whisky prices might even drop as you could govern tax however if you want strawberries or certain produce in winter which most take for granted from Spain or similar then prices will naturally have to increase?  Fuel costs might be lower but if I am a lorry driver coming from Spain its a long drive to buy any?  Surely prices for goods can only increase as most will originate from British ports which could also impose more charges?

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Are they less valid than articles supporting independence? Seems to me, it's one of the most reasoned articles I've read. I await your point by point rebuttal.

why would we when using the pound as a separate entity and not in a currency union be set by monetary policy in England that has only ever been talked about as part of a currency union and that is from the BT campaigners if we have no currency union we have no ties to the BoE so how can they set our policies if we have no ties to them go and look at other countries like panama sice 1903 its been pegged 1:1 with the US dollar or even go and look at the pound after WWII it was first pegged to the US dollar then after pegged to the German currency so if the UK managed it then why cant Scotland

Posted

Anyone understand how Scotland's independence will push up prices at the local Asda? :cc_confused:

If you look back I wrote a post about that:

It's about price regionalisation, as the big supermarkets get hammered by the likes of Aldi, Liddle and Morrison they want to end the price war and what better way than to blame it all on Scotland - I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: P 612 about half way down

Edited by frogesque
    Posted

:rofl:  :rofl:

You think the average Joe will see any of that money filter down?

yes it will be written into our constitution that it will be used to build an oil fund

Posted

Yes, pensions have been assured, and it's been agreed that Scottish Government will be funding them! So ability to deliver future payment of pensions becomes the responsibility of Scottish Government, and nothing to do with DWP, who will be disappearing from Scotland along with all of the other rUK machinery of government. Ability to deliver will come from Scottish Government's ability (or inability) to make overall budgets balance.

And don't get me started on start-up costs...

everyone who is currently paying into a state pension will have that honoured in full by DWP the Scottish government will just take over and there isn't any start up costs thanks to Gordon brown we are currently paying the pensions of the older people and our kids will pay ours there isn't a start up its running freely just now because Gordon brown plundered the pension pot but hey lets believe a letter from the slime ball.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Not everything no and I am sure whisky prices might even drop as you could govern tax however if you want strawberries or certain produce in winter which most take for granted from Spain or similar then prices will naturally have to increase?  Fuel costs might be lower but if I am a lorry driver coming from Spain its a long drive to buy any?  Surely prices for goods can only increase as most will originate from British ports which could also impose more charges?

I think you need to read some EU law.

Posted

Don't hold your breath.

There does seem to be a bit of an issue between realising what is propaganda type articles against reasoned well written and thought out pieces. Unfortunately this is where the YES vote throw in the smokescreen of scaremongering - and yet in this case the EU rules of entry are quite clear cut and nowhere when I have looked up do they have an asterisked clause that says except an Independent Scotland.

or maybe you are the one being taken in have you ever thought about that or do we all listen to Westminster and its helpers now?

Posted

You can play as fast & loose as you like with your own currency, but you sure as hell aren't going to do that with ours (meaning the UK including Scotland). Why do I get the impression that the last statement pretty much sums up the yes campaigns response to any question put?

The UK government are the ones playing fast and loose with our pound. They will not pre-negotiate and refuse a currency union which is causing jitters on the market. Scotland being independent is a democratic decision. Whether you agree or disagree when the people speak on Thursday. The RUK need to respect the decision if its yes. The constant points trading over the currency is a side show to the real debate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The flip side of price increases to certain goods in winter is that this could force an iScotland to be more self-sufficient and stop wrecking the environment by importing out of season fruits. If prices only increase by a small margin then I'm not sure people will notice. If prices increase sufficiently then we'll soon find a different supply, or finally accept that importing strawberries from Spain is unsustainable. Perhaps home grown soft fruit all year round by way of large glasshouses?

Many people want independence as a way of living more sustainable lives.  

http://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Food/Food_Miles.pdf

You're also making the assumption that all costs will be the same on each side of the border, for example, will fuel cost the same in an iScotland as in the rUK? 

Depends on what the rate of Scottish fuel duty will be, but wrong to automatically think fuel will be cheaper, it isn't in Norway for example.

Yes. Funny things oil funds.

Once again, using Norway as an example, they have a massive oil fund - largely because they don't spend it! This year they are expected to reach 2.8% which is below the the 4% spending limit and the current government are under pressure within their own ranks to make large tax cuts next year. This is not the same as dishing out the cash to anyone that wants some - the fund is worth over £100,000 per head but of course it's not anyone's to take and spend as they please.

Posted

Said it before but worth repeating:

Sterling, like most of the World's currencies is a FIAT currency, it is backed by nothing and means nothing OTHER than what someone else in the world thinks it is worth. There is nothing more sacred about the pound than there is in my fabled Cowdenbeath Copper Kettle.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Anyone understand how Scotland's independence will push up prices at the local Asda? :cc_confused:

Higher distribution costs over a lower populous..

• Like 1
    Posted

I think you need to read some EU law.

I think your right I wonder if the government will ever give the UK voters their referendum on leaving the EU as promised.. :angry:

Posted

everyone who is currently paying into a state pension will have that honoured in full by DWP the Scottish government will just take over and there isn't any start up costs thanks to Gordon brown we are currently paying the pensions of the older people and our kids will pay ours there isn't a start up its running freely just now because Gordon brown plundered the pension pot but hey lets believe a letter from the slime ball.

BUS, this is all political soundbites. DWP won't be paying pensions any more, will lose all involvement after Independence - Scottish Government have to fund all pensions from 2016 onwards. By start-up costs I mean the cost of replicating what DWP currently does for the whole UK, in Scotland as well. New offices, new (expensive) IT, new employees; all to be funded within Scotland. And the concern about the ageing population is just that - all of those pensioners' pensions being paid for by fewer young people's efforts.

Posted

Higher distribution costs over a lower populous..

See my post re regional pricing as a way of increasing profits for the big boys and then blaming Scotland.

I'm an Aldi - Liddle fan anyway!

Posted

Depends on what the rate of Scottish fuel duty will be, but wrong to automatically think fuel will be cheaper, it isn't in Norway for example.

Once again, using Norway as an example, they have a massive oil fund - largely because they don't spend it! This year they are expected to reach 2.8% which is below the the 4% spending limit and the current government are under pressure within their own ranks to make large tax cuts next year. This is not the same as dishing out the cash to anyone that wants some - the fund is worth over £100,000 per head but of course it's not anyone's to take and spend as they please.

of course its there to help the future generations when the oil runs out that's the point of an oil fund

Posted

Here is a question - As this is a UK weather website will it be dropping Scotland from the main page if it gets independence?  Would they still get a regional thread?

Posted

BUS, this is all political soundbites. DWP won't be paying pensions any more, will lose all involvement after Independence - Scottish Government have to fund all pensions from 2016 onwards. By start-up costs I mean the cost of replicating what DWP currently does for the whole UK, in Scotland as well. New offices, new (expensive) IT, new employees; all to be funded within Scotland. And the concern about the ageing population is just that - all of those pensioners' pensions being paid for by fewer young people's efforts.

I could move to Spain and my current UK  pension would be paid by the DWP, why would an Indy Scotland be any different. OK, they might consider it frozen (much the same as anyone living in the US or Oz) but they will still pay it because I qualified for a UK State pension.

Here is a question - As this is a UK weather website will it be dropping Scotland from the main page if it gets independence?  Would they still get a regional thread?

Trivial but interesting all the same - maybe we would qualify under World Weather lol

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

or maybe you are the one being taken in have you ever thought about that or do we all listen to Westminster and its helpers now?

I think all of us forum members south of the border have thought about that BUS simply because you won't stop ramming the Westminster lies stuff' down our throats... it's frankly getting very tedious. As I mentioned several days ago, I honestly respect your views, some of which I totally agree with, but this is supposed to be a discussion and debate and from what I see there is no debate from you, it's 'yes' is right and everything else is wrong....it's nowhere near as black and white as you infer

• Like 6