Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

I know I have banged on about this before, but when you look behind the polls your see the electorate really finding it hard to make a decision because they have been denied their democratic wish of Devo Max, as we know, Westminster would not it allow it on the ballot paper as they thought they would win the referendum at a canter.

So, where does that leave us?

Well, I would say to the English, Welsh and Northern Irish on here who want to save the Union, to get onto your MP's first thing on Monday morning and order them to get to Westminster to pass a bill ensuring Devo Max. The constitutional issues can be sorted out later.

Even then I think its to late.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yes its basically going to the wire so unless we see a sudden change towards that ICM poll then I think for both Yes and No supporters its a nervous wait.

As someone wrote a minute ago on Twitter - complete surprise to have the poll of polls ( questionable weighting correction included ) leaving the ref. at a dead heat.

KGuruMurthy from C4 wrote - Essentially it is the 55+ age group maintaining the Union.

Another poster gave is a weather pun.

Can't believe that result - especially after Hurricaine Nawbag.

Genius.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Been reading about Rupert Murdoch visiting Scotland for 4 days and wandering around some pubs talking to people.  

Is the 'Sun' going to back the YES campaign do you think?

Posted

Been reading about Rupert Murdoch visiting Scotland for 4 days and wandering around some pubs talking to people.  

I think he'd do more harm than good. Rupert Murdoch is hardly popular given the antics of the NOTW.

Posted

English Sun or Scottish Sun?

Of course, I'm sure Murdoch is desperate to revenge the end of the News of the World. He would love the Union to end.

Posted

Scottish Sun most read paper here. Salmond and Murdoch friendly. 

You mean he HAS friends?

I don't trust the man and I hope no backroom deals are being done?   

Posted

Now, I do enjoy the Last Night of The Proms, for the first time ever, no pictures from the Scottish version?. Any reason for this?

and then to end with a requiem God Save The Queen?

Posted

You mean he HAS friends?

I don't trust the man and I hope no backroom deals are being done?   

No need for deals. 2007 and 2011 were done without any paper support.

Sun backs who thinks it will win. End of.

Posted

No need for deals. 2007 and 2011 were done without any paper support.

Sun backs who thinks it will win. End of.

SKY "What the papers say"  Sun London editor says" They are considering their position and will reveal in a couple of days."

So then, if it is a goer and the Scottish Sun backs YES, then I suppose that would be viewed as a positive sign for the campaign?

Posted

Did I seriously, honestly just hear the BBC quote the failed Prime Minister Gordon Brown refer to an independent Scotland as the Weimar Republic which gave rise to Hitler?

I give up, I really do.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well, having defended the BBC for months, their coverage of the campaign in the last 10 minutes has really knocked my confidence. Footage of Jim Murphy shaking the hands of a line up of No supporters, the Orange March in Edinburgh described in the most euphemistic terms, a shot of Salmond flying around Scorland in a helicopter followed by dire warnings.

Not one mention of one of Glasgow or Inverness today.

Posted

Did I seriously, honestly just hear the BBC quote the failed Prime Minister Gordon Brown refer to an independent Scotland as the Weimar Republic which gave rise to Hitler?

Holy p h u c k.

I give up, I really do.

No.

It said "Gordon Brown likened it to Weimar Republic" then added their own words "which of course led to the rise of Hitler"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

10629697_1528840180667706_87410488137983

Well that confirms that the pro-indy papers throw as much garbage out as the other side.

The notion that governments control big business is contradictory to pretty much most of the legislation brought out in the western world over the last decade or so.

Whatever connotations meant by Brown, using the Weimar republic is a bad idea. Actually if the yes vote wins then technically Scotland would be the French or the English looking to give the opposition (in this case Westminster) a real licking. 

Edited by Captain shortwave
    Posted

Without the ICM tables the only further info from that poll is that men and younger voters back Yes, women and the over 65s less likely to.

I've heard conflicting reports of how the survey was conducted but until we see the actual methodology and questions then we're a bit in the dark here.

Posted

No.

It said "Gordon Brown likened it to Weimar Republic" then added their own words "which of course led to the rise of Hitler"

Erm, so the BBC, the national broadcaster, actually made it worse?

Posted

Erm, so the BBC, the national broadcaster, actually made it worse?

Or it was pointing out what a poor statement it was, in terms of what inferences could be taken from it.

• Like 1
    Posted

Or it was pointing out what a poor statement it was, in terms of what inferences could be taken from it.

Really?

Why even mention such a ridiculous statement?

A day of reckoning will indeed come for the BBC, John Lewis, M&S, BP in Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well that confirms that the pro-indy papers throw as much garbage out as the other side.

The notion that governments control big business is contradictory to pretty much most of the legislation brought out in the western world over the last decade or so.

Whatever connotations meant by Brown, using the Weimar republic is a bad idea. Actually if the yes vote wins then technically Scotland would be the French or the English looking to give the opposition (in this case Westminster) a real licking.

The graphics are in bad taste IMHO, yet the story is pertinent and the implications rather worrying.

Edit: and can I just say, you need to edit your post. It's THE pro-Indy paper, not papers. Only 1 of the big 37 papers in Scotland supports independence and that's the Sunday Herald, which has (as its name suggests) ony 1 issue a week. 1 in 37. Despite around half the Scottish population supporting it.

I'll let that sink in.

Edited by NorthernRab
    • Like 2
    Posted

Gordon Brown is a fool to try and link the civic nationalism of the Yes movement to the ethnic nationalism of Nazi Germany. What an idiot.

The Union in its present form is over. It is time for the people of these islands to realise it and come together to work for a way forward.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Gordon Brown is a fool.... What an idiot.....

Nothing new there then!!

To be honest wheeling out probably the worst Chancellor this country has ever had shows how desperate Scottish Labour are.

• Like 3