Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I believe even in my own field the big jobs are kept for London.I don't see why I should have to go to London to get a better job.I have witnessed every large Scottish insurance company being taken over and the jobs quickly moving down south under this fabulous union.There are no real opportunities within my industry other than back room administration.Do I want this to continue no I want change.So when I hear guff bout brass plates being moved after independence it makes me laugh.They decimated my industry years ago.

The same can said for the North south divide Within England...which includes my area the Midlands.

I could have earned double working in The Smoke

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Ignore Curtice.

He's never done that before, e.g. when Yougov use a 1200+ sample size (thus should be 1.2).

BBC pay his wages.

I really love John Curtice. I would hope that any errors he's made have been due to error rather than I'll intent :( Edited by NorthernRab
    Posted

I just basically saying the same thing. Threats from Russia is no different than invasion. Any threat from Russia is an act of war. Look how Russia attack an civilian plane. That is obviously a threat.

Whoever say this, even she from the no side is a lie.

To sum up: you've used a random quotation off twitter from someone who you don't know who she is, made out that this is from the NO campaign, then twisted its words and shown you have no concept of international politics whatsoever (threats are no different from an invasion???). Nice.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Ignore Curtice.

He's never done that before, e.g. when Yougov use a 1200+ sample size (thus should be 1.2).

BBC pay his wages.

700 is not a small sample. Scotland is 5.3 million. UK is 65 million yet 1k is considered fine.

Whilst true it is surely logical to weight by sample size and method.

Posted

I really love John Curtice. I would hope that any errors he's made have been due to error rather than I'll intent :(

I thought he was generally ok, but with union leanings.

Then we had that ICM with the way dodgy pre-Q on how 'comfortable people were' answering the iref Q prior to asking the iref Q.

He didn't mention it at all, even though it clearly impacted the result. Which was wrong and particularly bad as he'd shouted about SNP polls with any pre-Q's.

At that point I decided his academic rep was dubious.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

I'm afraid if it all goes wrong and it's a YES vote, then it will make me rather bitter, as well as sad, indeed devastated, and self-interest will come to the surface. I will adopt a "we should negotiate hard and give them as little as possible" attitude, where rUK thinks purely about what is better for us. I don't much like that that is my attitude, but that's the way I'm going.

Edited by NickR
    Posted

Whilst true it is surely logical to weight by sample size and method.

Yes, but not in this case. Why suddenly start doing that when you've never done it before simply because Yes are ahead in a poll?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

To sum up: you've used a random quotation off twitter from someone who you don't know who she is, made out that this is from the NO campaign, then twisted its words and shown you have no concept of international politics whatsoever (threats are no different from an invasion???). Nice.

Obviously, Russia would never invade or make threats at Scotland. Russia is nowhere near with Scotland anyway. Actually the Ukrainian rebels are supports the Yes campaign apparently, according to the Daily Mirror yesterday. Russia has no reason to, otherwise it is a warmongering thing to do by Putin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Are we getting a Panelbase tonight?

Panel Base within the hour...

Posted

I'm afraid if it all goes wrong and it's a YES vote, then it will make me rather bitter, as well as sad, indeed devastated, and self-interest will come to the surface. I will adopt a "we should negotiate hard and give them as little as possible" attitude, where rUK thinks purely about what is better for us. I don't much like that that is my attitude, but that's the way I'm going.

Lol, ok.

• Like 5
    Posted

So much for the polls coming together! Great poll for Yes by ICM, the Opinium not really noted for polling Scottish independence so I'd read less into that than the others.

I think we best reserve judgement until we see the ICM tables and question order, this looks to me like another rush job similar to the earlier Survation for BT. The sample size whilst not terrible is less than you'd want.

We await Panelbase, if that shows Yes in the lead then perhaps the rebellious vote is reacting to the prophecies of doom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

This is getting worse than a big easterly in winter at +120hrs...

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Are you serious?.....NOTHING beats that! :D   (close tho'!)

• Like 2
    Posted

Lol! that made me laugh so which poll is right and which is the NAVGEM?

PS has anyone looked at the Opinium tables and the amount of questions, I'm surprised those interviewed managed to stay awake!

Edited by nick sussex
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

...and of course which poll was "that ECM:rofl:

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Someone (a not very intelligent someone) rang LBC last night and pointed out how an independent Scotland would exacerbate any threat from the Ebola virus...

So far, I have failed to get my head round that one. But then, aren't nearly all of the Better Together lot's scare stories nonsense? After all, Pinocchio is a real boy...Honest! :hi:

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Lol! that made me laugh so which poll is right and which is the NAVGEM?

PS has anyone looked at the Opinium tables and the amount of questions, I'm surprised those interviewed managed to stay awake!

We'll only need to wait until Friday morning to get the verification stats.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

So yesterday, I asked what the yes vote have planned regarding currency and haven't seem to have had any answers, other than to keep the pound. But surely a newly independent Scotland wouldn't want a currency that they have no control and influence of - I can't see the governor of the Bank of England taking Scotland into account when he is setting rates if they have chosen Independence! No doubt Alex Salmond would just dismiss these real concerns as scare mongering.

As he would potential job losses. 

So how many people are employed by the Scottish naval base in the Clyde that construct the UK naval vessels? I would be a little bit concerned regarding my long term job prospects if I worked for them. As should all the associated engineers and workforces.

How many people are employed by companies based in the rest of the UK? These companies are probably already looking at contingency plans because of the uncertainty of the currency and extra costs as a result. It may make better sense to relocate so that the fiscal arrangements are not split between 2 countries.

How many Scots are employed in jobs that rely on exports to the rest of the UK? They won't be able to rely on that 'buy British' stamp, and Scottish goods will become less desirable in the rUK if the yes vote succeeds - already there is an anti buying Scottish backlash appearing on the internet - just look at the most popular comments on the BBC news pages. That will lead to those jobs reliant on the rest of the UK buying their goods less stable.

And we haven't even considered the financial sector yet. If there is any feeling that investments are risky in Scotland then money will flow out of Scotland quicker than ever and the jobs will follow. 

There are an awful lot of Scottish jobs that rely on the UK working as a cohesive unit. To ignore this fact and then suggest that it is scaremongering to suggest that these could be at risk is foolish indeed. Most others in business would call this contingency planning.

Edited by chionomaniac
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The PanelBase should be out around about now.

Posted

I'd be up for Sterlingisation. Change to own currency in the long term if conditions are right.

Posted

NO 50% -2 YES 49% +1

Neck and Neck result.

Source: Panelbase.

Edited by pip22
    Posted

Panlbase: No 50 (-2) Y 49 (+1) - weirdly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

No 50.6% Yes 49.4%

or in less technical terms - a bawhair.

Poll of Polls Yes 49% No 51%

Panelbase Yes 49% No 51%

ICM Yes 54% No 46%

Survation Yes 46% No 54%

Opinium Yes 47% No 53%

Edited by lorenzo
    • Like 1
    Posted

No 50.6% Yes 49.4%

or in less technical terms - a bawhair.

Poll of Polls Yes 49% No 51%

Panelbase Yes 49% No 51%

ICM Yes 54% No 46%

Survation Yes 46% No 54%

Opinium Yes 47% No 53%

Yes its basically going to the wire so unless we see a sudden change towards that ICM poll then I think for both Yes and No supporters its a nervous wait.