Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Majority of people born in England and living in Scotland no longer backing the union.

VI for England CoB

28% Yes

48% No

24% DK

Jeez, that's a bigger Yes than we've had in some national polls back in 2013. 52% backing Yes or giving it consideration.

37% Yes ex DK.

Nice. Adds around 3% to Yes total.

Just checked the ICM figures after (yet another) an English couple we know came out for Yes on facebook earlier - wee yes logo's on facebook profiles and everything. 

Self haters (© BetterTogether) stand up and be counted!  :) 

----

Unweighted base for CoB not available so no way to gauge the missing Scots problem in this poll.

----

The BBC's favourite Prof C's poll of polls with ICM added in.

Slide15.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

for banter only

here's some solid 'no' propaganda for y'all....

Alex Salmond reveals his true defense plans for an Independent Scotland........  :rofl:

post-4149-0-26063200-1410544886_thumb.jp

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I've covered this before in some detail but its my sort of thing, the psychology side which is really very interesting as regards to the Scottish referendum.

The psychological side is definitely of interest to me too, because of education and clinical experience - oh and living and working in Scotland....  Possibly my greater interest though is the need for truthful and unbiased reporting of this referendum.  So shocked at the BBC yesterday - which I used to have the utmost respect for.   Nick Robinson's profound and disturbing breach of proper journalistic standards and the BBC's mistake in not checking that their national news broadcasts last night were accurate; especially as Alex Salmond's response was on the internet via youtube has stirred me to make a formal complaint to the BBC for the first time ever. Mind you I'd have complained if Nick Robinson had blatantly lied about one of the BT leaders' answers too.**  

** Soo....this is not necessarily a disclosure of how I'd have voted if I was still living in Scotland......!!

• Like 4
    Posted

Incidentally, to add to my work mate’s aunt being declared fit for work whilst undergoing chemo then dying a couple of weeks later…

I earlier discovered a neighbour - who has mental health problems - has run out of food as his disability living allowance (or whatever it’s called now) has been stopped while it is ‘under review’.

So I find myself going around with a bag of food from our cupboards.

• Like 7
    Posted

The more I look into the Quebec referendum the more interesting it becomes in terms of what we're seeing in Scotland.

The demographic splits in polls are very similar, eerily so!

We even have the identity questions which of course were a big factor in Quebec aswell as in Scotland.

www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/public-perspective/ppscan/71/71021.pdf

Posted

So shocked at the BBC yesterday - which I used to have the utmost respect for.   Nick Robinson's...

Reported here:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/out-in-the-open/

Nick Robinson claims Alex Salmond “didn’t answer†his question at a press conference earlier today. That is a brazen and quite spectacular lie. The First Minister gave the BBC man a detailed and direct response which lasted for over three minutes BEFORE raising the matter of the Treasury link...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers

for banter only

here's some solid 'no' propaganda for y'all....

Alex Salmond reveals his true defense plans for an Independent Scotland........  :rofl:

attachicon.gif1.jpg

ha ha aj . 

heres one of the british army

1389385582_us-army-u-s-army-internationa     

what dae ye mean ye cannae afford air strikes on syria :D

• Like 2
    Posted

Incidentally, to add to my work mate’s aunt being declared fit for work whilst undergoing chemo then dying a couple of weeks later…

I earlier discovered a neighbour - who has mental health problems - has run out of food as his disability living allowance (or whatever it’s called now) has been stopped while it is ‘under review’.

Notwithstanding the reasons for the breakdown in services to vulnerable people, GOOD ON YOU, SS!!

Reported here:

Knew I'd seen it somewhere.  Apologies for misquoting the source...I'll get my hat....

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers

aye i second that. 

decent of you and your wife. What a sad state of affairs . This sort of thing sickens me  .

Posted

Interesting article in the FT.

“From the moment of a Yes vote, the UK government will have next to no interest in the welfare of the Scots. But, until Scotland has become independent, the UK government will represent it in international negotiations. At the same time, it will be negotiating on behalf of the rest of the UK’s interests, against Scotlandâ€.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/67017a0a-390d-11e4-9526-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=published_links%2Frss%2Fcomment_columnists_martin-wolf%2Ffeed%2F%2Fproduct&siteedition=uk#axzz3D7zjjf1G

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

more 'no' propaganda for you ...(again purely for laughs)

In Breaking news, even Nessie has fled south to Lake Windermere in fear of the prospect of an Independent Scotland

post-4149-0-61937600-1410547441_thumb.jp

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

One month ago the margin was a city the size of Aberdeen all voting one way to change the result.

Now the margin is a city the size of Dunfermline.

Pretty remarkable really...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_Scotland_by_population

Re - remaining polls...

Scottish #indyref poll schedule, via Citi:

Sept 13/14 @YouGov;

Sept 14 ICM (poss);

Sept 17 Ipsos Mori, Survation, @YouGov 'final' poll.#

Look at this lovely authentic picture of the campaign trail today..

post-7292-0-52042200-1410547400_thumb.jp

Nick Robinson should be suspended http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/editorial_standards/impartiality.html

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Aye, welfare and the environment are the worst aspects of this government.

Posted

Further to the Quebec referendum theres this interesting article from the Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/tightening-polls-on-scotland-secession-echo-days-before-quebecs-1995-vote/article20531252/

I've read the full study that is mentioned in the article. The problem really across all referendum studies is that we rarely see in depth post vote interviews.

How do we know the people were telling the truth in the first place? You can make a case for both shy Yes and No supporters because its down to the individuals own perception as to the pressure they feel.

Equally DK's are rarely really undecided. "I don't really want to have to make this choice" "please give me something to further validate my decision". This aspect is more prevalent in the referendum. For some the choice is easy, for others its a battle between the comfort blanket of the status quo and change. Even if the status quo isn't perceived as great its a constant, we know what it is.

Posted

Interesting article in the FT.

“From the moment of a Yes vote, the UK government will have next to no interest in the welfare of the Scots. But, until Scotland has become independent, the UK government will represent it in international negotiations. At the same time, it will be negotiating on behalf of the rest of the UK’s interests, against Scotlandâ€.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/67017a0a-390d-11e4-9526-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=published_links%2Frss%2Fcomment_columnists_martin-wolf%2Ffeed%2F%2Fproduct&siteedition=uk#axzz3D7zjjf1G

Aye. For those who think Westminster treats Scotland badly now, i wonder why they'd think Westminster would not bend them over in negotiations. 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

One month ago the margin was a city the size of Aberdeen all voting one way to change the result.

Now the margin is a city the size of Dunfermline.

Pretty remarkable really...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_Scotland_by_population

Re - remaining polls...

Scottish #indyref poll schedule, via Citi:

Sept 13/14 @YouGov;

Sept 14 ICM (poss);

Sept 17 Ipsos Mori, Survation, @YouGov 'final' poll.#

Look at this lovely authentic picture of the campaign trail today..

attachicon.gifBxVtYPbCUAAOUIB.jpg

Nick Robinson should be suspended http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/editorial_standards/impartiality.html

How insulting, that page has Inverness 12th when it should be 5th / 6th! :p

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Aaaargh - photoshop insanity...

post-7292-0-27239700-1410548179_thumb.jp

• Like 7
    Posted

The more I look into the Quebec referendum the more interesting it becomes in terms of what we're seeing in Scotland.

The demographic splits in polls are very similar, eerily so!

We even have the identity questions which of course were a big factor in Quebec aswell as in Scotland.

www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/public-perspective/ppscan/71/71021.pdf

That's very interesting.

Quebec is really quite Canadian.

23% 'Quebecer only' compared to 62% 'Scottish only' in Scotland. If you lump in the 'Quebecer first', gives you 47% compared to 62-74% 'Scottish first' in Scotland (74% is long term forced natID).

In the table given you need to quick excel calc based on 78% francophones (from census data).

All the main parties in Quebec are pro-Quebec autonomy and it is of course devo maxed in a federal sense. It doesn't really have unionist parties as such.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

more 'no' propaganda for you ...(again purely for laughs)

In Breaking news, even Nessie has fled south to Lake Windermere in fear of the prospect of an Independent Scotland

attachicon.gif1410436761969_Image_galleryImage_MANDATORY_CREDIT_Rex_Feat.JPG

Haha maybe she'll continue south, swim up the Thames and bite the bum of that distinguished and professional BBC political editor, Mr Robinson....

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I agree, Nick Robinson should be suspended.........   

We in Scotland have a saying during times of er shall we say heated disagreements?.....This being:  "pick yer windae pal"  In his case however it would be.... "pick yer lamp post!"  :vava:

• Like 2
    Posted

attachicon.gifBxR0gfNIUAEcEva.jpg

brilliant mate, and rather scary at the same time.....lol

Posted

On the subject of defence (as opposed to offence, e.g. aircraft carriers), this is a popular sticker for cars (below).

Seen quite a few going around.

Shocker! What's the chance this is happening elsewhere, including South of the border?

It's UK-wide of course and a product of UK government ideology.

Just hits home when it happens to people you know.

post-9421-0-31501200-1410549798_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

attachicon.gifBxR0gfNIUAEcEva.jpg

I'm not sleeping tonight then  :rofl:

Starting to get posts on my fb feed related to the independence debate now. Unsurprisingly it's the other side of the coin to on here. Apparently there are people going around Glasgow literally begging people to vote yes.

On the main politics front, it's turning even uglier now from both sides with threats from both sides. 

Posted

I agree, Nick Robinson should be suspended.........   

We in Scotland have a saying during times of er shall we say heated disagreements?.....This being:  "pick yer windae pal"  In his case however it would be.... "pick yer lamp post!"  :vava:

Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaint/alexsalmondrbsquestion/  

BBC News at Six and Ten, BBC One, 11 September, 2014

Complaint

We received complaints from viewers who felt Nick Robinson's report on the Scottish First Minister's press conference implied that Alex Salmond had not answered a question put to him.

Response from BBC News 

The BBC's Political Editor Nick Robinson asked Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond two questions at his press conference on Thursday 11th September. The first question centred on the tax implications of RBS moving its legal headquarters to London; the second on why voters should trust a politician rather than businessmen.

Nick Robinson's report showed the second question on trust, with a script line noting that Mr Salmond had not answered that point.

Mr Salmond's answer on tax was lengthy. Since it was not possible to use it in full in a short news report, a series of clips were included making his central points - the job implications of the re-location of RBS, the accusation that the Treasury broke rules by briefing market sensitive information and his request that the BBC should co-operate with an enquiry. In addition Nick Robinson's script pointed out that the First Minister said there would be no loss of tax revenue.

The BBC considers that the questions were valid and the overall report balanced and impartial, in line with our editorial guidelines.

Hmm is my only comment to that.

Edited by Soaring Hawk