Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Too late for that! That bus left ages ago.

I would agree with that, but for quite a few people agonising whether to vote yes or no, Devo Max would have been their first preference by a mile. But, a Devo Max promise now though could possibly be a good thing for the YES campaign as it would show desperation on the part of the UK, which would have even more people asking why Westminster so desperate to hold on to Scotland?

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

they weren't joking about the labour voters coming to YES

David Linden â€@DavidLinden 1h

Once known as "Red Carmyle" is now "Yes Carmyle". Canvass tonight found a 50% Yes support. #indyref #activeYes

Posted

I was born in England, therefore, by birth I am English. However, I have lived in Scotland for 50 years (since I was 17) and my aligience is to my adoptive Country, namely Scotland, not my Country of birth. I have NEVER considered my country to be Britain although the State does aparently consider me to be British (complicated isn't it?!)

At 67, this vote is not for me but for the combined peoples of Scotland, their children and their great grandchildren etc.

I shall be voting YES!

This poll and UK Together still have to bring us Farage and the Orange order in their locker.

Agent Darling come in your time is up.

I do think his chances of a Knighthood have gone up the lum!

• Like 7
    Posted

just a poll though at the end of the day......my thoughts on this (as a neutral) are that it's a natural reaction when asked on the street/phone etc to say a 'snap' yes or no, but the more qualified thought process comes in the hours/last day or two before polling day....It's been seen before in recent times in british politics and on that basis I'd expect the 'yes' vote to overtake the 'no' vote in the run up to polling day, but when the referendum result is in, I'd expect the 'no' vote to win....no bias, no agenda, just using analysis of previous national elections in recent history.......could be wrong of course and this vote 'bucks the trend' so to speak, who knows

AJ, a No vote in a constitutional referendum in Scotland would very much buck the trend. Just sayin... :wink: 

I would agree with that, but for quite a few people agonising whether to vote yes or no, Devo Max would have been their first preference by a mile. But, a Devo Max promise now though could possibly be a good thing for the YES campaign as it would show desperation on the part of the UK, which would have even more people asking why Westminster so desperate to hold on to Scotland?

Would no longer be believed. Polls show that clearly.

If it had been offered in apparently good faith in 2011, it could have been trusted.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

I'd expect the 'yes' vote to overtake the 'no' vote in the run up to polling day, but when the referendum result is in, I'd expect the 'no' vote to win....no bias, no agenda, just using analysis of previous national elections in recent history.......could be wrong of course and this vote 'bucks the trend' so to speak, who knows

That scenario though would however buck the trend of what has been seen in Scotland only electoral contests over the past 7 years, particularly 2011.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

they weren't joking about the labour voters coming to YES

David Linden â€@DavidLinden 1h

Once known as "Red Carmyle" is now "Yes Carmyle". Canvass tonight found a 50% Yes support. #indyref #activeYes

Something like 200,000-odd thousand Labour folks going to vote Yes last I read. I can see why, too. New country, new chance to actually be Labour.

Posted

For me, that's a very accurately reflective article of what it's like to live here right now.

Posted

To put things into perspective, the last time Yougov got less than 50% No in the full base (inc DK) was 2008; the mother of outliers since then.

The last time they had Yes >40% in the full base was 2007.

Wow.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

That scenario though would however buck the trend of what has been seen in Scotland only electoral contests over the past 7 years, particularly 2011.

we'll see in a few days time I guess!....it's going to be an exciting night, that's for sure

Edited by ajpoolshark
    Posted

The gap closure rate in Yougov (over the last three polls since the shift began) is comparable to the 0.5%/day change ahead of 2011 at around the same time (t-n) period.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Something like 200,000-odd thousand Labour folks going to vote Yes last I read. I can see why, too. New country, new chance to actually be Labour.

aye that's if they haven't already sank themselves with some of the antics they have been up to through this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Eggcellent news! :wink:

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/506549114541453312

Final thought on our shock Scots poll tonight: @David_Cameron may only be PM for 17 more days if he loses the union

A few thousand extra YES votes at that ^^

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
    Posted

Just watched Andrew Marr's excellent programme on Hugh MacDiarmid, the man who arguable set in motion the renaissance of Scottish  culture. I wonder if he's twitching a bit now, for various reasons.

• Like 1
    Posted

Yes Glenrothes â€@YesGlenrothes 35m

Great response in Pitteuchar tonight. YES 52%, NO 27%, DK 21%. Great and dedicated volunteer team. #indyref #VoteYes

Posted

Given all these positive poll results for Yes where is Panelbase? This is surely the best chance for a Yes lead. I expect nerves are shredded in BT and rightly so for a dismal campaign. If No wins its in spite of that campaign which has been amateurish, negative and has failed to produce any sort of positive vision.

Of course the " positive "message will always resonate more in the change aspect of Yes but BT could still have produced a "little love" for the Union.

Theres still over two weeks to the vote and a lot can happen, the big question is where the polling goes after this week,  we might be seeing some post debate bounce.

Later polls will show whether that's sustained and we still have the STV debate tomorrow which hopefully with its format should be easier to watch!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

That poll. Can't believe it. Genuinely think its coming now!

Posted

best reporting on the referendum I have heard yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_psPVLk-8#t=91

Posted

Yes now ahead amongst men in Yougov.

Main 'swing' (for want of a better word) coming from Labour voters and women.

Note this is with the 'Kellner Correction' which yeilds the amusing tie between Labour and the SNP in Holyrood VI in stark contrast to every other pollster, even very No friendly MORI who have the SNP comfortably ahead.

Yes also ahead in all age groups bar the over 60's.

Also with an increasing struggle to get 'Scottish' respondents, the group where Yes is highest.

EDIT

I guess this would of course apply most to the elderly, but I hope the feeling prevails through everyone on the day: 

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.†-Greek Proverb

post-9421-0-98378300-1409639337_thumb.pn

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Posted

Robert Peston mentioning The Pound is being sold off a wee bit this morning after the poll. If Scotland votes Yes, it will fall off a cliff.

My Unionist colleagues in work are for the first time getting squeeky bums.

Posted

Breaking News Alert on Sky News website:

National Grid Seeks Extra Winter Electricity

Just proves what utter bunkum the threat that rUK would refuse to buy Scottish electricity - the interconnectors running at capacity is critical to keeping the lights on in England in periods of heavy demand.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The referendum for Scottish independence is going to be a tight one. 42% Yes and 48% No. Maybe independence a possibility? I give it 50/50 chance. I think its Quebec all over again. Its gonna be a close call.

Posted

People of the RuK. If you value the strength of the pound in your pocket, i urge you to contact your MP and get them to lobby the Government to withdraw their ridiculous announcement not to have a currency union..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/12/intraday.stm

It's you who will suffer if you don't, and don't say you weren't warned.

Edited by mountain shadow