Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

the united kingdom or UK was only brought around by the political union of separate countries therefore it isn't a country it is nothing but a political union holding 4 countries within it one of those countries withdrawing from the union isn't breaking up a country it is splitting the political union we have been and always will be separate countries we were only bound by a political state and we a Scottish citizens aren't voting to break up a country but to leave the union and have our own country stand on its own political feet we will still be part of Britain with an open border we just want our country run for us by the people who know us this notion we are breaking up a country is just delusional.

I'm out of breath! Are the punctuation keys broken on your computer? ;)

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

It's perfectly ok to call the UK a country as a loose term. It is also perfectly ok IMO for people to identify with Britain as their country. Your identity in that sense is personal.

However, it is technically a sovereign unitary state and not a nation state in the conventional sense.

I think arguing semantics is probably a little late in the day.

Scotland is a country and a nation because people continue to want it to be. If they want it to be also a sovereign nation state they'll vote for that.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some more analysis from the bookies...

post-7292-0-01692700-1409603109_thumb.pn

• Like 1
    Posted

From George Eaton, political editor of the New Statesman. Confirms the 47 - 53 mentioned above.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Then holy s**t.

You might want to think about holding onto your hat. 

If Yes looks like that in Yougov - the worst pollster for Yes - then...

• Like 4
    Posted

the united kingdom or UK was only brought around by the political union of separate countries therefore it isn't a country it is nothing but a political union holding 4 countries within it one of those countries withdrawing from the union isn't breaking up a country it is splitting the political union we have been and always will be separate countries we were only bound by a political state and we a Scottish citizens aren't voting to break up a country but to leave the union and have our own country stand on its own political feet we will still be part of Britain with an open border we just want our country run for us by the people who know us this notion we are breaking up a country is just delusional.

On the substantive point, the United Kingdom is a sovereign state, a political union, and a country (made up of constituent countries). These things are not mutually exclusive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain /ˈbrɪ.tÉ™n/, is a sovereign state located off the northwestern coast of continental Europe. The country includes the island of Great Britain (a term sometimes also loosely applied to the whole state), the northeastern part of the island of Ireland, and many smaller islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that shares a land border with another state: the Republic of Ireland.

Posted

The country I feel have belonging to first and foremost is the UK. That's after living in both England and Scotland. You can't argue with my own personal feelings of nationhood.

Have your own opinions on Scottish independence - I will respect them.

But don't try and tell me that it is impossible to have a sense of belonging to the country (yes, yes it is) that is the UK.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

YesKirkcaldy â€@ABetterScotland 27m

#YesKirkcaldy out in #KdyCentral tonight YES 52% NO 19% D.K 29%

Posted

Game changer that YouGov poll.

Devo Max offer or bust Mr Cameron. Your running out of time.

Too late for that! That bus left ages ago.

Posted

The trend is your friend - oops i said that last week on here.

Cameron will be on the rack if "Yes" wins - not that Scotland will care, but could spark a bit of Tory party in-fighting.

Posted

The country I feel have belonging to first and foremost is the UK. That's after living in both England and Scotland. You can't argue with my own personal feelings of nationhood.

Have your own opinions on Scottish independence - I will respect them.

But don't try and tell me that it is impossible to have a sense of belonging to the country (yes, yes it is) that is the UK.

I agree with this as noted.

I think BUS is just still reacting to something that hurts people who identify with Scotland as their country, i.e. that it does not exist. This has been common in the debate from hard unionists and it's difficult for people to forget. It's the feeling you feel when someone seems to deny your country can exist.

We even had a Westminster gov paper which said the act of union extinguished Scotland, yet England lived on...

So, easy 'tiger' BUS. If Joe respects your Scotland, we can respect his UK ideal.

If people want Britain to be country / nation, then it will remains as one. If this is not the case in one or more of its constituent nations, then it will come to an end / take a new form.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

Sun political Editor breaking the copy now. @tnewtondunn

post-7292-0-57544700-1409604255_thumb.pn

post-7292-0-53906000-1409604259_thumb.pn

post-7292-0-18726000-1409604353_thumb.pn

Edited by lorenzo
    Posted

I agree with this as noted.

I think BUS is just still reacting to something that hurts people who identify with Scotland as their country, i.e. that it does not exist. This has been common in the debate from hard unionists and it's difficult for people to forget. It's the feeling you feel when someone seems to deny your country can exist.

We even had a Westminster gov paper which said the act of union extinguished Scotland, yet England lived on...

So, easy 'tiger' BUS. If Joe respects your Scotland, we can respect his UK ideal.

If people want Britain to be country / nation, then it will remains as one. If this is not the case in one or more of its constituent nations, then it will come to an end / take a new form.

Absolutely :-).

Posted

NO lead in previous #IndyRef YouGov polls:
    August 7th - 22%
    August 15th - 14%
    September 1st - 6%

From the worst pollster for Yes, this is really something. Shades of '11.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

NO lead in previous #IndyRef YouGov polls:

August 7th - 22%

August 15th - 14%

September 1st - 6%

That's simply summed as "WOW" - what a failing!

Posted

I'm out of breath! Are the punctuation keys broken on your computer? ;)

its been a long day don't worry i'll bring them back tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

If that's the kind of result a YouGov poll is turning out then I wonder what the other two that were known to have been carried out last week were showing? Off to check bookies odds....

• Like 1
    Posted

This poll and UK Together still have to bring us Farage and the Orange order in their locker.

Agent Darling come in your time is up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

With a poll like this, Cameron will be chairing a Cobra meeting as we type ;-)

just a poll though at the end of the day......my thoughts on this (as a neutral) are that it's a natural reaction when asked on the street/phone etc to say a 'snap' yes or no, but the more qualified thought process comes in the hours/last day or two before polling day....It's been seen before in recent times in british politics and on that basis I'd expect the 'yes' vote to overtake the 'no' vote in the run up to polling day, but when the referendum result is in, I'd expect the 'no' vote to win....no bias, no agenda, just using analysis of previous national elections in recent history.......could be wrong of course and this vote 'bucks the trend' so to speak, who knows

Posted

ok boss :sorry:

on a good news story I went to stirling today and that big farmers no sign at the side of the road is gone and not like ripped down but poles all removed and everything hopefully he has changed his mind and now it means theres nothing no on the way from here to stirling :yahoo:

• Like 3