Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

This highlights the problem of pro-union media bias in Scotland; it's newspapers being primarily British/American owned.

And of course, it's not just the media bias in Scotland that's an issue, it's no different over here.

The Belfast Telegraph today has nearly twelve pages devoted to "If Scotland votes Yes, what does that mean for NI and RUK"

Here we are, 2.5 weeks from the vote and only now are the press asking the questions that should have been asked a year ago. The decision by the Prime Minister not to Pre-Negotiate the vote has left the vast majority of these islands in a state of limbo. It is totally undemocratic and the Press a disgrace.

If the vote is Yes, the RuK will be asking "What the F happens now?"

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Telegraph gets increasingly desperate:

the islanders are overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the United Kingdom just that – united. Many regard themselves as Shetlanders or Orcadians first, and then British. They emphatically do not see themselves as Scots.

However, if Scotland does become independent, then the islanders will be left attached to a country to which many do not wish to belong. If that happens, what options are open? Although there has been some movement made by the islands to take control of their own futures, there is one option they might consider: uniting with Norway. At first, the idea seems ludicrous, but on closer inspection, it starts to make sense.

Posted

And of course, it's not just the media bias in Scotland that's an issue, it's no different over here.

The Belfast Telegraph today has nearly twelve pages devoted to "If Scotland votes Yes, what does that mean for NI and RUK"

Here we are, 2.5 weeks from the vote and only now are the press asking the questions that should have been asked a year ago. The decision by the Prime Minister not to Pre-Negotiate the vote has left the vast majority of these islands in a state of limbo. It is totally undemocratic and the Press a disgrace.

If the vote is Yes, the RuK will be asking "What the F happens now?"

Yep. I - and I'm sure many others - will feel that their country, the country they love, has been ripped apart.

Posted

Telegraph gets increasingly desperate:

It's Edinburgh I'm worried about. Least Scottish place in Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24302914

Shetland + Orkney are 61% Scottish only vs 11% British only in 2011 census nat ID.

Posted

Yep. I - and I'm sure many others - will feel that their country, the country they love, has been ripped apart.

And if it is a Yes, my honest sympathies; my best mate has a similar emotional attachment, although I suspect he's going to vote Yes now due to the No campaign. 

In democracy, there will always be some unhappy with a result. 

You've had Britain as your country for all your life, I've never had Scotland as mine (properly). I hope you can understand that as I can your position.

Scotland has offered olive branch after olive branch in the form of Devo Max. First in 2007, then in 2011. Westminster wouldn't listen though and that may end the UK.

Still, 307 years would be a good innings.

• Like 4
    Posted

Well from your other posts on various matters the notion that you love the UK isn't one you give off. You admit that you are to the left of the political spectrum and don't like the way politics at the UK level is shifting rightwards - so why such strong opposition from sections (not all) of the English left to Scots considering taking a different path?

Why not embrace what could be a momentous opportunity for change across the British Isles, not least because it appears that Westminster through it's own arrogance will be in disarray through lack of foresight and planning.

Perhaps some of the right wing English commentators have a point, the English left's problem with Scottish Independence is that they hate England!

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

I'm ok with scotland buggering off out of it..

lets hope it won't take too long for the rst of the disunited kingdom to break up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

This is just downright confused...

post-7292-0-79028100-1409577717_thumb.jp

Complete scattergun approach now from BT campaign..

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Complete scattergun approach now from BT campaign..

Well if they keep trying different things then maybe, if they are lucky, they'll finally hit upon something that actually works.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

So I've learnt today that not only do I hate Scotland, I hate my family and I hate my kids. That'll convince me to vote NO, after all I'm a virus and a Nazi. Those adverts are shockingly bad. Already getting a ripping on Facebook.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Where the hell are the polls?!?

Posted

Too busy "stealing" all of our jobs by working hard.

Oh, those polls.

Sorry, but it's a slow day on the indy front.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Got a bit carried away slapping that onion head! :laugh: Is there one where you whack him with a baseball bat?

yeah felt like that myself but would prefer it to be the real darling.

are you talking about Scotland getting ripped apart or the UK?

Posted

Thinking to back to previous posts I've been trying to work out when I turned from being a unionist to supporting independence. I've not got it nailed down yet as there wasn't a "eureka" moment. You think you can remember things but it's all a bit wooly. I know I voted Labour in 1997 (Westminster) and was definitely still acceptant of the union at that point although in September of that year I voted Yes/Yes on devolution and felt very proud at being part of history. I know I voted SNP/SNP in 2007 (Holyrood) and was in full support of independence. I really cannot remember the tipping point though, probably at some point around 2002/2003.

I can't remember clearly who I voted for in 2003 (Holyrood), but I don't think it was Labour, I think it was SNP/Green. I didn't vote in 2001 (Westminster). All of this was spurred by SS's comment about the poll which showed that over 70% of people claimed to have voted in 2011 while turnout was only 50%.

Posted

obviously the papers don't want to put them out I wonder why :whistling:

I'm counting this as an official poll 121 people just in fk5 taken part so there must be thousands across Scotland and many more across the rUK and its all in favour of a YES vote and to me more relative to the real situation than a organised poll

In FK5, 88% of 121 voters said yes.

In the broader FK area, 88% said yes.

Our current UK average is 62% yes (but in Scotland, it's 78%)!

http://games.usvsth3m.com/scotchland-postcode-referendum/

Posted

Well from your other posts on various matters the notion that you love the UK isn't one you give off. You admit that you are to the left of the political spectrum and don't like the way politics at the UK level is shifting rightwards - so why such strong opposition from sections (not all) of the English left to Scots considering taking a different path?

Why not embrace what could be a momentous opportunity for change across the British Isles, not least because it appears that Westminster through it's own arrogance will be in disarray through lack of foresight and planning.

Perhaps some of the right wing English commentators have a point, the English left's problem with Scottish Independence is that they hate England!

Where do I give the impression that I don't love the UK? Seriously, show me where.

There is opposition because - at least in my case - I don't see unhappiness with the current political persuasion of the government as a reason permanently to leave a country and go it alone. The opposition is not because I hate England, it's because I love the UK and consider myself British first and foremost. (I'm British left, not English left - I'm not sure why you presume I identify myself as English without asking me first). Why is this so hard to understand?

yeah felt like that myself but would prefer it to be the real darling.

are you talking about Scotland getting ripped apart or the UK?

The UK. But I think you knew that.

Edited by NickR
    Posted

That's all very well Nick, but what point are you trying to make?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    There is opposition because - at least in my case - I don't see unhappiness with the current political persuasion of the government as a reason permanently to leave a country and go it alone.

I'd say 'the rot' started way back when Thatcher was PM as far as Scotland's disaffection with Westminster began. Then eventually Labour got back in, but it was Blair and therefore a disappointment as they weren't really 'traditional' Labour. Nothings changed with Cameron and is unlikely to if Milliband achieves a miracle and actually gets elected. So it's not just the "current political persuasion of the government" that's led to this, it goes back more than 30 years. We're not politically impatient in Scotland, it takes time before we realise we're being royally shafted.

One thing that I doubt could be disputed, if Scotland becomes Independent it will not be because SNP supporters vote for it, it will be because those that have and still do vote Labour vote Yes in just over 2 weeks time.

• Like 2
    Posted

That's all very well Nick, but what point are you trying to make?

I'm just stating what my stance is and putting that forward as one possible take. A bit like others here, only from a different perspective.

Posted

I'm just stating what my stance is and putting that forward as one possible take. A bit like others here, only from a different perspective.

No I get that you feel British, but what are we as voters in Scotland to take from that?

Posted

No I get that you feel British, but what are we as voters in Scotland to take from that?

Whatever you like, I guess. I suppose it might help voters in Scotland realise that a YES vote would have a massive impact of many people from the other countries in the UK, and that it would leave many people really very sad, even bereft.

That, of course, won't change people's decision, but I sometimes feel that some folk in Scotland are under the impression that people from England, Wales, or NI couldn't care less what the result is and are viewing it as some sort of game or simply wanting to keep Scotland under control. In fact, for many of us I think it is just that we see the whole of the UK as the country we are from and don't want to lose our country as we know and love it. That's all.

Posted

I don't see unhappiness with the current political persuasion of the government as a reason permanently to leave a country and go it alone

That is the point, it is not just about the current political persuasion (though the inherent democratic deficit when a nation gets the government it's votes add up for less than 50% of the time is a significant factor), this has been growing for generations. As far back as the end of the 1940s over half of the registered electorate in Scotland signed the Scottish Covenant:

We, the people of Scotland who subscribe to this Engagement, declare our belief that reform in the constitution of our country is necessary to secure good government in accordance with our Scottish traditions and to promote the spiritual and economic welfare of our nation.

We affirm that the desire for such reform is both deep and widespread through the whole community, transcending all political differences and sectional interests, and we undertake to continue united in purpose for its achievement.

With that end in view we solemnly enter into this Covenant whereby we pledge ourselves, in all loyalty to the Crown and within the framework of the United Kingdom, to do everything in our power to secure for Scotland a Parliament with adequate legislative authority in Scottish affairs.

The constitutional debate is not some modern aberration due to that dastardly 'Alec Salmon' and it certainly wont go away with a no vote. In fact it will intensify as the YES campaign and it's widely established grass roots support comes together with a significant number of those who supported the Union in this referendum to deliver genuine Devo Max.

If the UK is unwilling to accommodate Scotland's wish for constitutional change, then Scotland will leave the Union. I believe that point of no return has past and the constitutional question will finally be settled in the affirmative in 17 days time.

• Like 2
    Posted

The UK. But I think you knew that.

you do understand that the UK isn't a country but a political union

Posted

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/bbc-5-live-struggled-to-find-enough-no-voters-for-dundee-independence-debate-1.553982

BBC 5 Live struggled to find enough No voters for Dundee independence debate

This'll be Dundee, bedecked with saltires, rampants, Yes signs...

SNP heartlands of Dundee, Angus and the NE.

Which pollsters had been finding plans to No by a very comfortable margin.

That was until we stopped getting polls anyway.

:whistling: 

---

And a timely warning from Bella. As we have seen, the hardcore of the unionist camp (BNP, Britain first, SDL, OO) etc are starting to get unpleasant with quite a few violent attacks on Yes people. Thankfully, remains sporadic and nothing very serious as yet (through luck in some instances), but always pays to be cautious.

Walk away is the best advice. They are just a walking advert for Yes.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/09/01/keep-the-peace-and-avoid-potential-flashpoints-the-worlds-media-will-be-arriving-soon/

Keep the peace and avoid potential flashpoints. The world’s media will be arriving soon… 

However, we also have to face up to a less pleasant facet of Scottish reality.  Scotland is not The Apocryphal Land of Kumbaya.  There are many who live here who engage in violent criminal activity and politically point-blank refuse to engage in any form of democratic discourse or debate.  These are the fringe loons of the Britannica Party, the BNP, the SDL and perhaps more worryingly: the sectarian bigots of the Orange Order.

These are not just a small handful of extremists. They number in their thousands and there are worrying signs they could intervene in our wonderful referendum in the last two weeks with violent unprovoked attacks on peaceful Yes campaigners.

Reports on Saturday say a pregnant woman at a Yes stall in Glasgow was kicked in the stomach by a well-known member of the UK far right.  It was a barbaric and cowardly act and thankfully the alleged perpetrator has been arrested by police.

Today’s Edinburgh Evening News describes of how a group of Rule Britannia singing Unionists abused and attacked a Yes stall outside Hearts football ground at the weekend.  This is despicable behaviour.

Also last week a fire was set off outside a Yes shop in Midlothian. It was a clear attempt to intimidate.  Other incidents of anonymous threats and actual attacks against Yes supporters have made the pages of the press.  Most haven’t.

As Yes momentum builds, and No flounders, Loyalist & far right attacks on Yes supporters may increase in certain areas of central Scotland.  Some of these Loyalists will feel threatened by Yes. These folk will have no enthusiasm for democracy, they can’t deal with the prospect of Independence psychologically, and they may act like wounded animals as a result.

We need to be aware of this and do everything we can do to keep the peace and minimise any chance of provocation....

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

Better Together really upping the s*!te stirring:

Warning of polling station clashes as tensions rise

FEARS of "absolute carnage" outside polling stations on Referendum Day amid a growing atmosphere of intimidation have been raised by the No camp.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/warning-of-polling-station-clashes-as-tensions-rise.25192695