Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

"I... swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me."

They died protecting Great Britain & Northern Ireland, they didn't swear a different oath stating that they protect just Scotland

And many Scottish nationalists have taken the same oath to their Queen, Elizabeth, Queen of Scots.

If they want to join the army, they must.

They died protecting France, Poland too. Protecting civilians in Afghanistan also.

You may have been in the forces, but you can't speak for all Scottish serving personnel and veterans.

I've worked in oil and gas for 14 years but that doesn't mean I can presume to speak for everyone in the industry. I acknowledge that polls do agree with what I've found in that the majority are pro-indy. However I also know quite a few who are pro-union.

There are Scottish nationalists in the forces. We have no way of knowing how many. The UK government recognise it, you have veterans and forces for Yes groups...

Unionists would I imagine outnumber nationalists and that is my experience of talking to families with military, but sorry, there are Yes people in the ranks.

--

Here are her maj's Scottish crown jewels.

honours471e.jpg

Separate kingdoms in Union.

Scotland has no Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The term is officially meaningless. Two different kingdoms. We do have an Earl and Countess of Strathearn though.

Here's the above being made ready for lizzie for the re-opening of the parliament of the country of which she is also queen in addition to England+Wales.

_53799522_crown1.jpg

Also used in her coronation when she came to Scotland as part of this.

Her Scottish official heraldry showing her as queen of Scots and of England:

220px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_K

I see no breach of that oath if a Scottish nationalist takes it. If it said 'The British Government' instead of Lizzie, then people could have a case.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

And many Scottish nationalists have taken the same oath to their Queen, Elizabeth, Queen of Scots.

If they want to join the army, they must.

They died protecting France, Poland too. Protecting civilians in Afghanistan also.

You may have been in the forces, but you can't speak for all Scottish serving personnel and veterans.

1.She's queen of England too, but do we feel galled that English service personnel dies for Britain?.....your point is.....?

2. again, your point is.......?

3. service personnel's first duty is to uphold the oath of allegiance, their first duty is not to protect foreign nationals in foreign nations, but however if serving in a theatre of conflict or in a peace keeping role they are duty bound to 'obey all orders of her Majesty' in other words follow orders that have come down from Whitehall

4. I don't speak for all scottish serving personnel, but with no disrespect intended, I believe I can speak for a lot more of them than you

As i said SS, no disrespect intended, this is healthy debate without having to resort to name calling that has been occasionally prevalent in this thread  :good:

I'm going to bow out for now as I've a list of chores to do as long as my arm (no rest for the wicked, even on a sunday!) but will be happy to resume this discussion at a later time

Edited by ajpoolshark
    • Like 2
    Posted

1.She's queen of England too, but do we feel galled that English service personnel dies for Britain?.....your point is.....?

2. again, your point is.......?

3. service personnel's first duty is to uphold the oath of allegiance, their first duty is not to protect foreign nationals in foreign nations, but however if serving in a theatre of conflict or in a peace keeping role they are duty bound to 'obey all orders of her Majesty' in other words follow orders that have come down from Whitehall

4. I don't speak for all scottish serving personnel, but with no disrespect intended, I believe I can speak for a lot more of them than you

As i said SS, no disrespect intended, this is healthy debate without having to resort to name calling that has been occasionally prevalent in this thread  :good:

I'm going to bow out for now as I've a list of chores to do as long as my arm (no rest for the wicked, even on a sunday!) but will be happy to resume this discussion at a later time

The unionists have stated that Scottish personnel died for Britain, e.g.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10607633/Scottish-independence-would-dishonour-Britains-war-dead-Tory-peer-claims.html

This is not true. Loyalities and reasons for fighting vary. Some people who support an independent Scotland will have died fighting under the British flag. End of. My point here is that we should not put views in the mouths of the dead.

If someone wants a career in the army they must take an oath. The oath they take does not make a nationalist disloyal as Lizzie is Queen of Scots.

Agreed.

I don't speak for any Scottish serving personnel. I've directed you to their own voices and those of veterans. Those few I know have mixed views as I said.

Agreed let's leave this.

I support your view that those in the ranks are more pro-union. However, there are nationalists there.

If Scotland votes Yes, wait and see what happens with the Scottish regiments all of a sudden.

If nothing happens and they just continue on with normal duties, it will be the first time in history that when a country goes independent from a larger state, the loyalties of the soldiers of the former to the latter are not addressed quickly.

I don't mean a purge or anything, but I imagine they will be quickly asked whether they wish to continue serving or whether they might be thinking otherwise. Scots men and women in the forces will suddenly find themselves serving in another country's army and all that entails. They will need to decide whether to remain a British citizen, whether to take joint citizenship and continue in the British army. Or whether to take Scottish citizenship alone and join a Scottish defence force (where they will train and fight alongside rUK regiments on many occasions) or become a mercenary for example. It can't be any other way.

And thanks for the debate.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

service personnel's first duty is to uphold the oath of allegiance, their first duty is not to protect foreign nationals in foreign nations, but however if serving in a theatre of conflict or in a peace keeping role they are duty bound to 'obey all orders of her Majesty' in other words follow orders that have come down from Whitehall

The Queen is not singularly Queen of the United Kingdom, she was separately crowned Queen of Scots in the Scottish Coronation. The styling of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom is within her gift of the Royal Prerogative, but it is not constitutionally correct.

As signified by Royal Mail:

6743693997_f16f38fe04_z.jpg

Note lack of EIIR.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The unionists have stated that Scottish personnel died for Britain, e.g.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10607633/Scottish-independence-would-dishonour-Britains-war-dead-Tory-peer-claims.html

This is not true. Loyalities and reasons for fighting vary. Some people who support an independent Scotland will have died fighting under the British flag. End of. My point here is that we should not put views in the mouths of the dead.

If someone wants a career in the army they must take an oath. The oath they take does not make a nationalist disloyal as Lizzie is Queen of Scots.

Agreed.

I don't speak for any Scottish serving personnel. I've directed you to their own voices and those of veterans. Those few I know have mixed views as I said.

Agreed let's leave this.

I support your view that those in the ranks are more pro-union. However, there are nationalists there.

If Scotland votes Yes, wait and see what happens with the Scottish regiments all of a sudden.

If nothing happens and they just continue on with normal duties, it will be the first time in history that when a country goes independent from a larger state, the loyalties of the soldiers of the former to the latter are not addressed quickly.

I don't mean a purge or anything, but I imagine they will be quickly asked whether they wish to continue serving or whether they migh....t be thinking otherwise. Scots men and women in the forces will suddenly find themselves serving in another country's army and all that entails.

And thanks for the debate.

one last quickie from me before the wife states she wants total independence from me for not cutting the grass....lol

for the highlighted point.....two ways this can be done.....in the event of a yes vote, scots currently serving can either DbyP (discharge by purchase  ie buy themselves out of the service) or PVR (pre-voluntary release) which means giving 18-24 months notice of termination of service which doesn't financially cost the serviceman/women anything

The other option as far fetched as it sounds, is to actually leave the armed forces as they are with policy decisions made jointly in Whitehall and Scotland....with the Scottish government negotiating for a more proportionate & reasonable percentage of the 'armed forces' bill.....the advantages are that Scotland would maintain its military strength as part of a greater british military without the headache of an increased drain on the scottish finances (I've had a look at Alex Salmond's proposed budget for an independent scotland military and the figures just don't add up.....where's he going to buy the kit from on the figures he's quoted, ebay or gumtree?!!)

The above is an idea that's been floating around in my head for quite a while, but I've not had the time to actually sit down and work out the nitty gritty and viability....I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this

Posted

BNP pro-union campaigner kicks pregnant woman in stomach and it's wall to wall coverage for days like egg-gate.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/man-held-over-assault-after-yes-no-confrontation-1-3526187

Or rather an ambiguous article hidden away in the Scotsman.

Posted

The other option as far fetched as it sounds, is to actually leave the armed forces as they are with policy decisions made jointly in Whitehall and Scotland....with the Scottish government negotiating for a more proportionate & reasonable percentage of the 'armed forces' bill.....the advantages are that Scotland would maintain its military strength as part of a greater british military without the headache of an increased drain on the scottish finances

Welcome to full fiscal autonomy aka Devo Max - the option that Westminster wouldn't allow on the ballot paper because all the evidence suggested it was basically 'the settled will of the Scottish people'. Given this scenario would have left defence and foreign affairs alone as reserved powers under the 1998 Scotland Act, it would have avoided the rUK's potential Trident headache - you think thus that Westminster would have grasped the opportunity with both hands. That they didn't tells you everything you need to know about just how big a lie the subsidy junky myth is!

Posted

one last quickie from me before the wife states she wants total independence from me for not cutting the grass....lol

for the highlighted point.....two ways this can be done.....in the event of a yes vote, scots currently serving can either DbyP (discharge by purchase  ie buy themselves out of the service) or PVR (pre-voluntary release) which means giving 18-24 months notice of termination of service which doesn't financially cost the serviceman/women anything

The other option as far fetched as it sounds, is to actually leave the armed forces as they are with policy decisions made jointly in Whitehall and Scotland....with the Scottish government negotiating for a more proportionate & reasonable percentage of the 'armed forces' bill.....the advantages are that Scotland would maintain its military strength as part of a greater british military without the headache of an increased drain on the scottish finances (I've had a look at Alex Salmond's proposed budget for an independent scotland military and the figures just don't add up.....where's he going to buy the kit from on the figures he's quoted, ebay or gumtree?!!)

The above is an idea that's been floating around in my head for quite a while, but I've not had the time to actually sit down and work out the nitty gritty and viability....I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this

Thanks. Funnily enough I was about to ask what you thought of how this might work.

I don't think normal rules apply in terms of 'getting out' for the reasons I specified. People joined up to a British army with Scotland part of Britain. In a way, contracts would be made null and void if Scotland has voted for independence.

It's quite different to e.g. someone from Britain joining the French foreign legion. They have joined up entirely in that context.

A Scot who is currently serving in the British army could rightly claim they are a Scottish citizen now and no longer a British citizen so what they signed up to no longer applies. They would undoubtedly win if it went to court; you can't force another country's citizens to fight in your army, not under such circumstances anyway (and if it was under duress, you'd have to question how well you could rely on them). If they chose to retain British citizenship then they'd be in a more difficult position, but then if they did so, they'd probably not be wanting out.

As I understand it, they are to be allowed to chose.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmdfence/198/19809.htm

Asked whether Scots serving in the UK Armed Forces would continue to be able to do so if Scotland became a separate country, the Secretary of State confirmed that they would.[140] In relation to the ability of serving personnel to transfer to a Scottish defence force, Mr Hammond said:

• It does not seem an unreasonable assumption that people who had a connection with Scotland and wanted to be released from their commitment to service in the UK armed forces in order to join some putative Scottish defence force might expect to be allowed to do so. But it would be part of the negotiation.[141]

173. We welcome the evidence we received from the Secretary of State for Defence that Scots serving in the UK Armed Forces would be able to transfer to a Scottish defence force should Scotland become a separate state. We recommend that the Ministry of Defence should provide a clear statement, prior to the referendum, that serving personnel would be able to choose whether to remain in the UK Armed Forces or to transfer to a Scottish defence force.

Although I'm not sure if that has been made fully clear. Is obviously the most sensible option.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Funny the direction this thread takes at times.

I nearly joined the army at 16 but stayed on at school for 5th year and my life took a different direction. I did spend a large part of my 20s serving in the T.A., funnily enough mainly in an English regiment, as that's where I was living for most of that period.

I can't remember a time when I haven't been supportive of Scottish Independence and would be surprised if the proportion of serving soldiers who do so is significantly different from the population as a whole.

Posted

Funny the direction this thread takes at times.

I nearly joined the army at 16 but stayed on at school for 5th year and my life took a different direction. I did spend a large part of my 20s serving in the T.A., funnily enough mainly in an English regiment, as that's where I was living for most of that period.

I can't remember a time when I haven't been supportive of Scottish Independence and would be surprised if the proportion of serving soldiers who do so is significantly different from the population as a whole.

You don't exist!

I gave thoughts to the forces too; they fund you through uni and stuff.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20137.aspx

I don't think there's been a time in my life I wouldn't have ended up opting to vote for independence; only how much I felt it was needed has.

Those views didn't put me off the idea of being an army engineer or something; they didn't figure at all I recall. I was quite into mapping / orienteering (ended up a geologist at uni with mapping favourite subject) and forces reconnaissance seemed a possible area.

I suppose if I had joined up I might have been asked given we are talking about 1994-98, i.e. the devolution push where support for indy had reached 1997-2007 levels of a big majority for Yes. I'm not quite sure what I'd have said.

Was just a passing interest of course (when leaving School approaches you look at all options in something of a panic) and never happened. 

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

eh do we really need to know what you and the wife get up to before you go and cut the grass :rofl:

• Like 2
    Posted

there may be no polls in the papers but this one is still going strong

In FK5, 89% of 94 voters said yes.

In the broader FK area, 88% said yes.

Our current UK average is 60% yes (but in Scotland, it's 78%)!

http://games.usvsth3m.com/scotchland-postcode-referendum/ 

and its for real I tried seeing last night if you can vote more than once and you cant cos the count doesn't change so it only counts you once so this is a fair resemblance of how it is going across Scotland and rUK and it looks like both Scotland and rUK are on the YES side

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    Posted

I'm surprised 'nitty gritty' is not kicked into touch by the swear filter. I was once castigated quite strongly for using it in a essay. :shok:

Edited by knocker
    Posted

Sir Ian Wood before he made himself a laughing stock in Aberdeen.

Now doing the social media rounds. Handy little clip for facebook etc anyway.

Predicts more than the Scottish government.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

More banter..

The Hills Have Ayes

post-7292-0-78128900-1409496349_thumb.jp

Visible for quite some distance across Edinburgh.

• Like 7
    Posted

Hmmm

See that Survation. Our only poll in the past 17 days.

Well, it did show a good movement to Yes since the last one.

However, it came with the caveat that unionist could say - but hey, Survation also got something similar in June July so nothing's changed!

That's not true though; the latest survation is not comparable.

Survation sometimes ask a huge number of pre-questions. Up to 14. Not political, but age, sex, qualifications job type, earnings.... All before the iref question. They did this in the last 2 polls, but not in june and July.

It's hard to say what effect that might have, but at face value, it makes No higher and Yes lower.

Maybe all the probing about how intelligent you are, your earnings etc before the iref question could make people hesitate about stating their true intention / saying they're going for the risky option.

If we add the net gains / losses in the last 2 polls with the 14 pre-questions to the july poll, then we'd have parity, possibly Yes edging it.

Anyway, the latest survation is not comparable to June-July, only the early August, thus a six point gap closure. The results are clearly being influenced somewhat buy the pre-questions.

EDIT

Possible up to 4 point lead gain for No due to this effect from data where the two poll types are crossing over. And that's with Yes at an all time high in latest survation irrespective of it having the pre-Q's which seem to hurt Yes.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

For those who don't visit the other place aka theweatheroutlook, this post is by the very same Nick R who is basically gloating in the Up in Arms forum about riling up the Scots and derailing this thread.

I'm not gloating in there about anything. And nowhere did I say I was trying to rile up the Scots. That is a complete and utter lie. I said to someone who has seen THIS thread that "you'll have seen me get on their nerves then"... because I clearly have! It was a simple statement about what the consequences of my contribution had been - or are you saying that my posts didn't have that effect? Nowhere did I say that was my INTENTION. Nowhere was I gloating. 

You are a complete disgrace for misrepresenting such a simple statement.

Edited by NickR
    • Like 1
    Posted

collette stevenson â€@PADDYPITCAIRN 20m

@DMHull Out canvassing in EKOK 59% YES 20% no and 21% DK, managed to persuade a few DK. Then did a YES EK ice bucket challenge. Dedication!

Posted

aye we always knew it was being done on purpose like other things like being told on I already know three of the people doing it considering I sign in private and see who has been on while its happening and who follows my posts around other threads

Except you're wrong. I'm afraid ski's post just proves my point about how you guys are simply bullies who attack and misrepresent anyone who has a different point of view.

Posted

Except you're wrong. I'm afraid ski's post just proves my point about how you guys are simply bullies who attack and misrepresent anyone who has a different point of view.

no you try and pick arguments you did it with me trying to say I wouldn't be british anymore when quite clearly anyone living in Scotland who wants to remain known as british can as its not a political term you then tried to rile up SS claiming he wasn't answering your questions when he was.

I am with SS I think you are probably someone who is young and doesn't fully understand the things you are talking about and I do believe you try and take this thread on a different line when you are on it.

Posted

no you try and pick arguments you did it with me trying to say I wouldn't be british anymore when quite clearly anyone living in Scotland who wants to remain known as british can as its not a political term you then tried to rile up SS claiming he wasn't answering your questions when he was.

I am with SS I think you are probably someone who is young and doesn't fully understand the things you are talking about and I do believe you try and take this thread on a different line when you are on it.

I was debating and defending my view. You call that picking arguments when it suits you to do so (though not, I'm assuming in your own case).

You won't be British (in the way the word is used as a political term). The idea that "British" is NOT a political term, when it appears on all UK passports and is the official way of referring to someone from the UK is just beyond credulity.

He wasn't answering my question. He kept finding ways to make out it wasn't relevant to this thread, culminating in the absolutely hilarious revelation that he was labouring under the impression that Scotland would cease to be under UK control on the 19th if it votes YES on the 18th.

I'm older than you, and there is something deeply worrying about a man who doesn't know that the word British is used as a political term to refer to someone from the UK trying to tell someone else that HE doesn't fully understand things! 

My point, in any case, was that ski's post about me in TWO was simply a lie.

Edited by NickR
    • Like 2
    Posted

A YesScotland shop has been subject to an arson attack.

https://twitter.com/CraigWilliamWil/status/505926961689288704

So we've that and pro-union campaigners kicking a pregnant women in the stomach.

Thankfully all in general peaceful (the above is hardly unheard of in some inner city areas as part of daily life), but the above makes someone who has yet to be identified (quite possibly from the pro-union side) cracking an egg on Murphy's back rather tame.

Anyway, we can expect wall to wall coverage in the media with calls for Alastair Darling to call off his 'attack dogs' any minute now.

Hmmm. Nothing on the BBC that I can see. Wonder why. Both stories have been going for a good few hours now. Puzzling as the Murphy videos are still on show.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Toni Giugliano â€@ToniGiugliano 3m

63% Yes today in Battlefield. Posters, badges, Tshirts everywhere - with lots of hard work Glasgow heading towards #VoteYes.

Posted

Scotland set for giant tidal stream development

The world's largest tidal stream array, which is set to be built in North Scotland, has agreed terms for a funding package to kick start the construction of the 398MW project.

http://www.edie.net/news/4/Scotland-set-for-giant-tidal-stream-development/

• Like 6
    Posted

You won't be British (in the way the word is used as a political term). The idea that "British" is NOT a political term, when it appears on all UK passports and is the official way of referring to someone from the UK is just beyond credulity.

I am afraid you are wrong you are right it appears on a UK passport but the UK is the political part Britain is a place and therefore we will still be british this is just something dreamt up by BT as they know it will pull at the heart strings of rangers fans and other people who have served in the army.

we wont cease to be british we will cease to serve the union that union being the united kindom.

again I have my passport infront of me and it says united kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland now if northern Ireland is part of the union why aren't they british or part of great Britain its because great Britain is only the piece of land which Scotland, wales and England are part of which in essence makes the union the united kingdom which is what we are voting to be removed from we cant be removed from Britain as we would have to move the country which isn't possible so the fact we stay part of the land mass of Britain means we remain british its not hard to work out.

Edited by Buriedundersnow