Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

In my view BUS, the Yes campaign could and probably will do the same in the next week or so, except delivered to every household instead of postal voters only. It could be the NO campaign have gone too soon with this and now Yes have an opportunity to maximise.

we'll wait and see but the YES campaign have been trying hard not to do anything too out of sorts so they may not send anything out.

do you think it would say many votes something like this?

personally I think it could sway a few but the majority of people will already have some idea what they are going to vote anyway it might have a few folk crossing no by accident and ruining there vote though lol

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

this how desperate there getting now putting this in the mail to postal voters

attachicon.gifBwMIDrNIEAA3Cke.jpg

Wow, that's really pathetic campaigning it must be said.

• Like 2
    Posted

Wow, that's really pathetic campaigning it must be said.

I'd agree. This is straying into anti-democratic territory; looking to trick people; most likely the vulnerable / too trusting.

We need a clear result, not a win at any cost and that applies to both sides.

Posted

I'd agree. This is straying into anti-democratic territory; looking to trick people; most likely the vulnerable / too trusting.

We need a clear result, not a win at any cost and that applies to both sides.

If I was voting and erring on the side of No, that might sway me the other way. An insult to the electorate and like you said, bordering on anti-democratic. Very poor indeed. If that's the best they can come up with then the No campaign really are in dire straits.

Posted

In my view BUS, the Yes campaign could and probably will do the same in the next week or so, except delivered to every household instead of postal voters only. It could be the NO campaign have gone too soon with this and now Yes have an opportunity to maximise.

I hope they do not. At least not in the same way if done.

You can do this justifiably if you make it clear in big bold letters at the top that 'this is how to vote for Yes to an independent Scotland (or No)' so there's no ambiguity. 

The leaflet in question from No - which does not do this clearly at all and is therefore potentially misleading - was produced by the Conservatives.

Posted

yes events that have happened in part because of Westminster and we are glad to be getting away from that.

oh and british

attachicon.gifBwTQGs0CIAAiR_C.jpg

Well, that's an official source, then. Watertight.

Edited by ajpoolshark
    you're posting as if spoiling for yet another tit for tat tirade...pack it in
    Posted

I hope they do not. At least not in the same way if done.

You can do this justifiably if you make it clear in big bold letters at the top that 'this is how to vote for Yes to an independent Scotland (or No)' so there's no ambiguity. 

The leaflet in question from No - which does not do this clearly at all and is therefore potentially misleading - was produced by the Conservatives.

Yeah the only indication that it's a No leaflet is the Conservative endorsement in the small print at the bottom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

What I would like to know is what is going to happen to the armed forces?Is Scotland going to have an army when all the wannabe soldiers will join English ranks that will have more chance of travel/action.Does it also mean that we will get the royal yacht back?

Posted

What I would like to know is what is going to happen to the armed forces?Is Scotland going to have an army when all the wannabe soldiers will join English ranks that will have more chance of travel/action.Does it also mean that we will get the royal yacht back?

You mean like young Swedish men, Danes etc do? Are they queuing up for more 'travel/action/legs blown off' in the British army?

https://twitter.com/hehisself/status/500351705377411072

John Reid: Being part of the UK doesn't diminish our Scottishness. It gives us a platform to shine

HeHisSelf: One of my son's pals shone on your world stage. Dead now. Would have been 23 this year. 

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Well, that's an official source, then. Watertight.

I know its not a watertight official source but I was pointing out its the common knowledge to how things work.

Posted

why would a Scottish person want to join the UK army when he can serve his own country do you think people only join the army to get holidays lol.

no as the queen will still be our head of state as part of the commonwealth so she is still our royalty so we will keep the yacht cheers.

Posted

they stop people from taking YES flags into stadiums but someone managed to get something this size in

post-18233-0-91348300-1409432476_thumb.j

Posted

why would a Scottish person want to join the UK army when he can serve his own country do you think people only join the army to get holidays lol.

no as the queen will still be our head of state as part of the commonwealth so she is still our royalty so we will keep the yacht cheers.

Don't get me wrong but some people stay in the village they were born in but lots of them want to see the bright lights of the big citys,most people who sjoin up want to see some action,will Scottish forces be sent to middle east zones,germany,falklands,central America,canada,Africa.Will they serve on aircraft carriers,submarines,Do you have any tanks?

Posted

Don't get me wrong but some people stay in the village they were born in but lots of them want to see the bright lights of the big citys,most people who sjoin up want to see some action,will Scottish forces be sent to middle east zones,germany,falklands,central America,canada,Africa.Will they serve on aircraft carriers,submarines,Do you have any tanks?

well if someone wants to join the army to see some action I would rather they weren't in the army that's the wrong thinking for an army they should be there primarily for peace efforts combat should be the last option for anyone who wants to be in armed forces and if they are joining simply to go to war or wanting to kill people they shouldn't be allowed into the army.

we wouldn't need a big armed forces we don't share a border with a hostile country plus nobody hates us or wants a war with us as we wouldn't illegally invade other countries and we would over a space of 10-15 years say be able to build an armed forces we already have places to build ships and submarines and could easily build tanks and that so there doesn't seem to be an issue here.

Posted

You are aware that historically, there has never been a  'British' army in the sense of a unified force?

Scotland's soldiers have fought, primarily, as Scottish regiments under the saltire since the beginning of the union. It was quickly worked out that they were much more effective if you didn't try and make them British, i.e. something they were not, but let them be Scottish.

Hence all the tartan regalia, pipe bands etc of the Scottish regiments. 

UK government has decimated those traditional regiments now of course, but I wonder if those that remain in the surviving RRoS would all just give that up to become 'English' (to quote you) and for a bit of legs blown off action as per your post. I think that's probably an open question.

If they want some world travel without offensive action (as opposed to defensive) to take control of other peoples oil etc, a Scots defence force could be quite a decent career.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

You are aware that historically, there has never been a  'British' army in the sense of a unified force?

Scotland's soldiers have fought, primarily, as Scottish regiments under the saltire since the beginning of the union. It was quickly worked out that they were much more effective if you didn't try and make them British, i.e. something they were not, but let them be Scottish.

UK government has decimated those traditional regiments now of course, but I wonder if those that remain in the surviving RRoS would all just give that up to become 'English' (to quote you) and for a bit of legs blown off action as per your post. I think that's probably an open question.

If they want some world travel without offensive action (as opposed to defensive) to take control of other peoples oil etc, a Scots defence force could be quite a decent career.

hmm....I guess you learn something new every day....In my 15 years in the armed forces I never saw any examples of what your suggestion.....the British Armed Forces have been 'as one' for a very long time...

I also think it's highly likely that an independent scotland will have nothing but a very rudimentary military for any forseeable future.....All service personal sign an oath of allegiance to the Queen and to protect and defend her realms and by that have sworn an oath of loyalty to protect and defend the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.....No amount of politics from Alex Salmond is going to change that in a hurry, and besides the concencus of the many scottish friends I have who are still serving is that if they had the choice they'd have no hesitation in staying put

• Like 1
    Posted

Yes I am aware of the Scottish regiments,with the exception of the duke of wellingtons regiment[formed just 1 mile from my birthplace] they are the best fighters in the world as they gained a fearsome reputation fighting the English [and eachother],particularly the mcdonalds and mclouds and I think you and buried need to do your homework on why people join up,sure they do not all want to see action but a large percentage fight like crazy to get into the marines ,paratroopers and special forces such as sas and sbs....do you think they do this and expect not to see action?I read recently that we had just 1 year out of the last100[or something like that] that british forces were not involved in some conflict or other!

Posted

I read recently that we had just 1 year out of the last100[or something like that] that british forces were not involved in some conflict or other!

That's likely about right; one of the reasons I'm Yes.

• Like 3
    Posted

That's likely about right; one of the reasons I'm Yes.

same here mate that's exactly why we have to vote yes our young people dying around the world all the time for nothing.

and hillbilly I wouldn't want to have a country with an army that people were going into just to go into conflict do you even understand how that sounds that our government are allowing people a legal passage to becoming murderers if they are only going there for conflict and to intentionally look to be sent to war with guns to kill people then they are murderers by legal means and that is wrong.

Posted

same here mate that's exactly why we have to vote yes our young people dying around the world all the time for nothing.

and hillbilly I wouldn't want to have a country with an army that people were going into just to go into conflict do you even understand how that sounds that our government are allowing people a legal passage to becoming murderers if they are only going there for conflict and to intentionally look to be sent to war with guns to kill people then they are murderers by legal means and that is wrong.

Maybe you need to read up on some history,yes the armed forces have been deployed at the request of OUR government..that includes your vote as well as mine and it is a shame you have to twist what I have said to say that those who sign up want to be murderers..that is not what I said but if you think that Scottish troops will be happy patrolling a remote loch to helping out in foreign lands then you are wrong!!!!

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I trust you've not been in the armed forces then?....a genuine question as indeed I and just about everyone in the military joined up see the world and to take pride in serving our realm knowing full well that when we swear the oath of allegiance we all know that there's a very high chance that we will be involved in a theatre of war somewhere in the world......to think otherwise is very naive.....did that make me a potential murderer by legal means?.....I think not!

Edited by ajpoolshark
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
    but if you think that Scottish troops will be happy patrolling a remote loch to helping out in foreign lands then you are wrong!!!!

As opposed to patrolling Scottish waters (international maritime) ?

Posted

Maybe you need to read up on some history,yes the armed forces have been deployed at the request of OUR government..that includes your vote as well as mine and it is a shame you have to twist what I have said to say that those who sign up want to be murderers..that is not what I said but if you think that Scottish troops will be happy patrolling a remote loch to helping out in foreign lands then you are wrong!!!!

if someone decides they only want to join to go out with a gun and shoot people then they are going out with murderous intent as the people they kill aren't just bad people innocent people get shot and that as well.

if they are going with the intention to defend then that is different and if someone comes to cause trouble in our land they may defend that which is perefectly reasonable.

if I was to pick up a gun and go shoot people because I thought it was cool or just wanted to fight I would be a murderer.

I don't think any conflict in foreign lands is what an army should be for it should purely be there to defend our land and nothing else we don't need to be in a foreign land just now it isn't helping to be safe the exact opposite has happened and it allows people to take up arms simply because they want to go out and kill people which is wrong and murderous in my view.

Posted

How about some respect to someone who's been there, seen it, done it and knows more about BRITISH army life (which includes his former Scottish comrades i suspect) than others on here, namely ajpoolshark.