Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Apparently Cameron is coming to Glasgow tomorrow to bolster the No campaign after Darling's debate defeat.

Going to be speaking at a CBI dinner the Electoral Commission have deemed a No campaign event, ergo the BBC once more becomes an official funder/member of the No campaign as a CBI member.

At the same time, we've not had a (nation-wide) poll in almost two weeks...

Not even a Yougov one.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Even trying to put aside my obvious personal bias there's no doubt which of the two ads is the better. Not sure they make much difference though.

Edit - Go on Dave, get out from the safety of the CBI and meet the real people of Scotland, I dare you. I'm sure Jim will be happy to lend you his Irn Bru crate.

Edited by Ravelin
    Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

got to watch this

Adam McNamara â€@AdamMcNamara77 19m

Baw tingling stuff. http://youtu.be/YZ5MELbCnxI  #indyref @WeAreNational @YesScotland #grassrootsmade

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Spoke to the Yes campaign canvassing co-ordinator for Stirling area and returns are 
    Yes 58%
    No 33%
    DK 9%

Vote YES!

• Like 4
    Posted

The massive disparity between the canvassing polls and the official polls really is perplexing

SS, I hope your planning to write a book on this, fascinating stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The massive disparity between the canvassing polls and the official polls really is perplexingSS, I hope your planning to write a book on this, fascinating stuff.

In fairness the latest polling from the Yes Kelso group's canvass tonight excluding DK was reported as 29% Yes 71% No, from a total canvass of 53. So it's not all wall to wall Yes.

Posted

interesting poll vote and see how its going so far

http://www.referendumtv.net/voting-intentions-poll/

Posted

In fairness the latest polling from the Yes Kelso group's canvass tonight excluding DK was reported as 29% Yes 71% No, from a total canvass of 53. So it's not all wall to wall Yes.

Is Kelso known as a strong No area?  That does seem very high especially if the canvassing was done by the Yes campaign, are people in Kelso particularly straight forward?

I've just checked that's in the Borders region so perhaps that explains it!

Edited by nick sussex
    • Like 1
    Posted

The massive disparity between the canvassing polls and the official polls really is perplexingSS, I hope your planning to write a book on this, fascinating stuff.

The disparity is easily explained normally in the problems in getting a representative sample of people that reflects a particular community, even if its a Yes or No stronghold you might be over sampling one demographic. On top of this respondents are much more likely to not tell the truth or say DK.

Canvassing in all honesty isn't up to much in terms of getting a true reflection of the situation re voter intention but its good in other ways, like perhaps moving some people or at least getting them to look into an aspect of the debate, making sure they've registered to vote etc.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

As one was dropping off ones ballot this morning (yes!), another chap arrived about to do the same thing.I accosted him.Not only was he a Yes!, he mentioned that, during his job as a BBC Radio Scotland presenter, he'd taken a call from an Irishman.This gent just wanted to hear my friends view on the rumour that had reached him in Northern Ireland..." I hear there are some folk thinking of voting no"...

• Like 3
    Posted

it said on Scotland tonight they will be showing the YES and no adverts right through September till 48hrs before the vote its not going to be good for no to have that plastered all over the telly running up to the vote :rofl:

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    Posted

aye there bright eh just film yourself committing a criminal act :rofl:

Posted

just goes to show the arrogance

post-18233-0-83522800-1409186043_thumb.p

remember what these liars are saying and have said in the past

post-18233-0-72654200-1409186089_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Is Kelso known as a strong No area?  That does seem very high especially if the canvassing was done by the Yes campaign, are people in Kelso particularly straight forward?

I've just checked that's in the Borders region so perhaps that explains it!

It's not only in the Borders, it's almost on the border. The border is about 5 miles away, and Berwick is north-east from here. There's a very high English population, I'm not sure on the % but going by the mix at work anything up to 20%. Interestingly the English at work are almost exclusively northerners (North-East, Yorkshire, etc.) or South-Easterners (Essex, London, Kent, etc.).

The Yes group's canvassing has been mixed, in some areas quite encouraging for an area which should return a very strong No vote. Let's put it this way, if Kelso voted Yes even by 50.1% then in the rest of Scotland there would be a massive Yes landslide. It's the most non-Labour area of Scotland, Michael Moore is our MP. For the Scottish parliament the area was LibDem until 2007 and now it's Tory. In 2011 the Tory vote was (drum roll) almost 45%. I think you'll get the idea now :D

Interestingly in the 2011 Scottish Parliament elections some Tories seem to have voted Tory constituency and then SNP regional. Can someone look at the table in this link to check I'm not seeing things?? If I'm right then that's quite interesting, the SNP actually beat the Tories in terms of the 'second' vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettrick,_Roxburgh_and_Berwickshire_(Scottish_Parliament_constituency)

Other people on here have been reporting Yes/No signs and flags on houses, in Kelso I've seen three Yes houses and not a single No house. The population is around 6,000 to 7,000 so it's not a big place, but you'd expect a bit more of something, anything.

Posted

Interestingly in the 2011 Scottish Parliament elections some Tories seem to have voted Tory constituency and then SNP regional. Can someone look at the table in this link to check I'm not seeing things?? If I'm right then that's quite interesting, the SNP actually beat the Tories in terms of the 'second' vote.

The regional is for the south of Scotland constituency so you can't really use it to compare with border constituencies as there's quite a disparity either side of the border hills.

Posted Image

I imagine a few Tories did vote for the local Tory candidate they liked and SNP on the regional as an anti-Labour vote / for a more competent Scottish government. Would not have been huge though.

Borders council area was 63% Yes in 1997. On the lower side, but still a comfortable Yes.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
    Posted

ICM find Yes ahead in Glasgow and that's with their 10% refusing to take part (still I presume).

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/city-backs-yes-says-new-poll-178076n.25170988

City backs Yes, says new poll

An ICM Poll shows 51% for Yes with 49% for No, bucking the national trend.

The poll also found seven out of 10 Glaswegians thought Alex Salmond was the winner in this week's TV debate.

It found 71% of people said the First Minister was the clear winner with 29% for Alistair Darling.

IT also found 62% believed Mr Salmond to have the best arguments compared to 38% for the Better Together leader.

Humza Yousaf, Glasgow SNP MSP, said the poll findings was a breakthrough.

He said: "This is a fantastic poll which shows that people in Glasgow are completely fed up with the lack of vision from the No campaign - and shows a significant breakthrough for Yes in our city."

EDIT

This in fact seems not to be new, but the Glasgow subset from ICM's debate poll.

Dave's there today. 

Second highest 1997 Yes in Scotland.
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Also, Carmichael preparing his lifeboat?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/carmichael-in-quit-hint-if-yes-vote.1409213715

Scottish Secretary Alistair Carmichael has indicated he could step down from the UK Government and join Alex Salmond's "Team Scotland" to negotiate a deal on independence if there is a Yes vote in the referendum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lifeboat? He'll be lucky if anyone even bothers to throw him a lifebelt, or a rubber duck even.

I hear that someone called Danny Alexander a "f-ing liar" on radio Scotland this morning. Funnily enough that's almost the same words I shouted at the radio at 5 to 9 this morning on my way to work as he tried to scare some 70yr old female caller into thinking that she might not get her pension if we vote Yes. I went slightly further, calling him a "f-ing lying b*****d".

If Scotland votes No, I can accept that, life will go on. I can also accept that there will be a lot of uncertainty and probably more than a few setbacks if we vote Yes. What I find increasingly difficult to accept though is the blatant lies coming out of the mouths of the politicians we voted into office.

Edited by Ravelin
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Lifeboat? He'll be lucky if anyone even bothers to throw him a lifebelt, or a rubber duck even.I hear that someone called Danny Alexander a "f-ing liar" on radio Scotland this morning. Funnily enough that's almost the same words I shouted at the radio at 5 to 9 this morning on my way to work as he tried to scare some 70yr old female caller into thinking that she might not get her pension if we vote Yes. I went slightly further, calling him a "f-ing lying b*****d".If Scotland votes No, I can accept that, life will go on. I can also accept that there will be a lot of uncertainty and probably more than a few setbacks if we vote Yes. What I find increasingly difficult to accept though is the blatant lies coming out of the mouths of the politicians we voted into office.

Yeah, blatant lies :(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27309215Just hope all the older people see through the lies and vote Yes. Fair enough having a different opinion but frightening the most fragile members of our society into submission is nothing short of a disgrace. Edited by Mesosphere
    Posted

Yeah, blatant lies :(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27309215Just hope all the older people see through the lies and vote Yes. Fair enough having a different opinion but frightening the most fragile members of our society into submission is nothing short of a disgrace.

As if there have been no lies from the "yes" campaign... 

This thread is clearly dominated by "yes" folk, but sometimes I do fear that Salmond et. al are not being subjected to the same level of (justified) critique.

• Like 3