Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Regards the Survation poll the younger age group was very significantly up-weighted (by a factor of 2.2) and this group has returned very strong support for No in Survation polls so far.

the more I think of that poll the more odd it seems they called in the people and know exactly how many people were there so why is there a discrepancy value of 3% on the outcome surely its not hard to work out percentages on the vote when you have all the results in front of you why have a that 3% it shouldn't be there.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Latest Survation poll:

Yes 37% (-3%)

No 50% (+4%)

D/K 13% (-1%)

Excluding the undecided, this works out as Yes 43% (-4%) and No 57% (+4%).

More polls needed before we can determine if this is a one-off, or the start of a new trend.

Bish

Actually, it's Yes -1, No +3 for the full base. What the headline numbers are is based those who say they'll vote. Given that 73% say they voted in 2011 and that makes up to 23% liars, I'll stick with full base.

Could be something, may not be. Very much within MoE and associated with the 16-24 age group which Survation have had to invent a view for over half of which means 8% of the population have had a view given to them that they didn't give. Survation have an ongoing problem with not getting enough respondents in this age group. Got an infeasibly low Yes of 23% this time (was 46% on average for the past 3 polls), which is the main reason for the apparent change in the total sample.

EDIT

Also, disappointed by Survation here. I know it was the Daily Mail paying their wages, but come on...

The Scottish Government has refused to publish a ‘plan B’ for an independent Scotland's currency, in case a ‘currency union’ is not agreed to by the rest of the UK.
    Do you believe the Scottish Government should draw up alternative options to a ‘currency union’ ahead of the referendum on September 18, 2014?

Erm, plans B, C, D, E, F, G etc have been well publicised. All in the white paper.

Plan B is to use Sterling and have no debt (because Scotland can't take Sterling debt without a currency union / control/access to Sterling printing facilities).

Anyway, poll suitably tainted - very loaded questioning.

Interesting however that >50% want to keep using the Scots £ (the most popular option by a country mile) and a majority think the pro-UK parties are bluffing on the issue (for obvious reasons - i.e. Scotland takes no debt) even with the loaded questioning.
    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

Prof Robertson of the University of the West of Scotland on pro-union bias in the media.

It is very true what he says about their being no such thing as someone impartial. 

'Expert' or not, everyone has a bias of some form, even if they are not from the UK. 

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

There are suggestions in some quarters that Nicola Sturgeon should replace Alex Salmond for the next televised debate later in the month. Any thoughts on this?

She certainly comes across as a slightly less uncompromising figure than Salmond IMO, and would doubtless give Darling a good run for his money. On the other hand, you can just imagine the tidal wave of claims by the No campaign that Salmond has "gone into hiding" or whatever, and it would probably continue to feed the ongoing media narrative (whether fair or otherwise) that Darling landed some telling blows in the first debate.

Bish

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

There are suggestions in some quarters that Nicola Sturgeon should replace Alex Salmond for the next televised debate later in the month. Any thoughts on this?

She certainly comes across as a slightly less uncompromising figure than Salmond IMO, and would doubtless give Darling a good run for his money. On the other hand, you can just imagine the tidal wave of claims by the No campaign that Salmond has "gone into hiding" or whatever, and it would probably continue to feed the ongoing media narrative (whether fair or otherwise) that Darling landed some telling blows in the first debate.

Bish

Other than being a bit hypocritical since he demanded that Cameron come, it would look like an act of weakness. Salmond should be there.

I'm also not that sure that she'd do better. She's not bad but Salmond has presence.

Posted

Bish

I think the best idea for a debate as far as the YES campaign goes would be to get a debate with both eck and Nicola and two from the no campaign as I feel the two of them bounce off each other quite well (eck a bit more :rofl: ) and could answer the questions they are best suited to.

EDIT : plus could you imagine how it would look for darling with him getting frustrated and one of his own shaking his head in the backround

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    Posted

this place aint the same without NOV posting.

NOV get yer erse back in ere.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Hell of a lot more to the darien story and the union than some of our friends south of the border like hillbilly wish to believe. The idea and popular myth that westminster had to ride to the rescue of an impoverished scotland who couldnt stand on her own two feet without westminsters largesse is at best a complete untruth and at worst a downright lie.

Cheers bud.

I've had a quick flick through BoyCatch1's book on the history of Britain, and the Act of Union is only very briefly mentioned. Strange that something so important isn't discussed in much detail (aye right!). I seem to remember much the same from my own experiences of reading books on UK history as a kid, they're very short on real details.

• Like 1
    Posted

Foreigner = Bad Klaxon time again! :oCan you imagine if an elected UKIP representative wrote this letter (OK I know they currently have 0mps and despite the hype I expect they will stay that way in 2015).

“Dear Catherine WilsonThe legal position is that, as a French citizen, you are a foreigner and so I am not your MP.Nobody can give you a guarantee that the UK will be in the EU in five years’ time.Without knowing more details about your children’s circumstances and any changes to the law which may be made by a Parliament, which hasn’t yet been elected, it is not possible to answer your questions about their future.Yours sincerelyAlan Reid MPâ€

So much for Liberal Democrat - the embarrassing fundementalist Unionist rump that is left of this party in Scotland is neither Liberal nor Democratic.
    Posted

Why I’m hanging up the red rosette

In Scotland, we seem to be experiencing a new political dawn.

http://likearedredrose.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/why-im-hanging-up-the-red-rosette/

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Cheers bud.

I've had a quick flick through BoyCatch1's book on the history of Britain, and the Act of Union is only very briefly mentioned. Strange that something so important isn't discussed in much detail (aye right!). I seem to remember much the same from my own experiences of reading books on UK history as a kid, they're very short on real details.

Just had a look on Wikipedia and it gives a good account of the act of union and those who said I thought it was all to do with the darian disaster[which I did not] are to a certain extent right!It had a lot to do with it!!!...There was a lot of opposition both sides of the border,attempts of a union had been going on for a century,We had a joint king,oliver Cromwell had come along ,the English didn't want the scots to jump in bed with the French or Spanish but thought they were to gain more than they were worth but in the end the scots voted in favour 109 to 69 oppose[i think].....don't you just love history!!!

Posted

Why I’m hanging up the red rosette

In Scotland, we seem to be experiencing a new political dawn.

http://likearedredrose.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/why-im-hanging-up-the-red-rosette/

Bish

You must be reading pro-indy sites bish.

Good on you. Will give you a far better insight into things than the MSM.

• Like 1
    Posted

Miliband admits he wants to force 100's of millions in costs to English businesses in the event Scotland votes Yes.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/9565-miliband-admits-currency-threat-will-cost-english-businesses-hundreds-of-millions

This man wants to be PM? He should grow up first.

The fact that he thinks threatening he'll punish UK union / No supporting Labour voters in Scotland (by taking their Scots £ off them) if it votes Yes is a sensible electoral strategy says it all. If Scotland does end up voting in 2015, he's asking for an SNP majority of Scottish MPs with Labour getting gubbed. Jeez the polls already suggest the SNP are out in front and this is FPTP.

----

Also, handy graphic like I've tried to show before:

Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Foreigner = Bad Klaxon time again! :oCan you imagine if an elected UKIP representative wrote this letter (OK I know they currently have 0mps and despite the hype I expect they will stay that way in 2015).So much for Liberal Democrat - the embarrassing fundementalist Unionist rump that is left of this party in Scotland is neither Liberal nor Democratic.

Aside from the standard unionist MP anti-foreigner stuff, he is her MP and must represent her. How does an MP not know that?

My wife is French too - 14 years here paying taxes now and taking part in civil society voting in every election she's eligible for (local, Holyrood and EU). No wonder she feels Scottish now but not British; Scotland welcomes her yet each day she reads how UK parties increasingly do not. This is just case in point.

Full story.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-subhumans/

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

and who says we cant keep the pound

post-18233-0-38273400-1407713612_thumb.j

vote YES theres no currency scare

Posted

You must be reading pro-indy sites bish.

Good on you. Will give you a far better insight into things than the MSM.

Indeed SS, there are lots of fascinating articles out there if one knows where to look  :wink:

Anything I find interesting I will share on here, whether Yes or No inclined. Ideally I try and strike some sort of balance between the two, which is easier said than done sometimes.

Bish

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

afternoon all ,i have been following this forum with interest over the past week .I am totally neutral as to which way the vote on scotlands future will pan out ,but i will say that having been to Scotland on many occasions i find scotland very interesting ,fantastic scenary good friendly people ,and on many occasions when me and my wife have been out in the wilds very Romantic and makes you feel like you are well away from the rat race .a couple of weeks ago we spent the evening in the company of 8 adults from variouse locations across Scotland who had come down to somerset for a special birthday party ,of course the vote on Scotlands future was well talked about ,with an overwhelming NO being signalled by all in the room .although i did detect a mood of possibly perhaps in the future .all the best for scotlands future which ever way the vote goes , :drinks:

• Like 4
    Posted

An advert for this has been constantly on my Facebook today, so I clicked it:https://www.youdecide2014.uk/5-things-remember-uk-independence-2/The first point states that Scotland would be starting again - implying from scratch which is bunkum. Continuing into the site:https://www.youdecide2014.uk/family/children/

As part of the UK, people in Scotland pay lower levels of tax than they would under independence to receive the same levels of public services. To fill this gap in its public finances without cutting spending, an independent Scotland would have to raise taxes. This would be equivalent to raising the basic rate of income tax to 28%, increasing VAT to 26% and raising all the main duties – on fuel and alcohol for example – by almost 40%

That is not stretching the truth, it is not spin, it is outright lies direct from the UK Government.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes if the scots go independent they will find out that there is no bottom to the welfare and nhs pits....sorry[scotish health service] and they may decide to charge for parking at hospitals too !!!

Posted

Yes if the scots go independent they will find out that there is no bottom to the welfare and nhs pits....sorry[scotish health service] and they may decide to charge for parking at hospitals too !!!

just where do you get your facts from because they couldn't be further from the truth if you tried.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

An advert for this has been constantly on my Facebook today, so I clicked it:https://www.youdecide2014.uk/5-things-remember-uk-independence-2/The first point states that Scotland would be starting again - implying from scratch which is bunkum. Continuing into the site:https://www.youdecide2014.uk/family/children/That is not stretching the truth, it is not spin, it is outright lies direct from the UK Government.

Sad fact is some people will believe this utter rubbish. I'm lost for words personally
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Glad this is out today..

A very informative read, with a foreword concerning just why we are fed garbage from MSM regularly.

Hopefully this reaches many of the undecideds and DK's out there prior to the 18th.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/WeeBlueBookDesktopEdition.pdf

• Like 1
    Posted

right I will put this first in my post that this post is in no way ment to be having a go at anyone south of the border or in any way trying two be offensive towards anyone.

I have been following all sides of the argument on twitter and facebook and things and I have been noticing a strong pattern when it comes to these that most people following and commenting on the yes side of the argument are obvious passionate scots wanting a better future for people in this country and are looking to vote yes but when I comment on something for the yes side or if I make a comment to disagree with something from the no side I really find a lot of the people attacking me for my views are people from south of the border and even people that have made up fake accounts I had one a short time ago stating they were from Brigadoon now Brigadoon isn't even a place its a bridge now I have done a lot of checking of people who reply and attack me and 90% of them are from south of the border and again nothing ment to be offensive to people in here but a lot of the people who disagree with us in here are also from south of the border and its started me thinking that when you really look at the face of it there is clearly more passion out there amongst scots towards the yes campaign than from the no side and I am wondering if this might be more upbeat for the yes side than we are being led to believe and most of the noise on the no side isn't even coming from Scottish people which is noteworthy.

my mum was saying to me yesterday as well when I was over for sunday roast that she had seen somewhere about some funny goings on during the TV debate about the crowd being set up to be more no than it was yes but I would need to check up on that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The welfare system needs massive reforms, so why not use independence as a chance to do this? It would make sense to start fresh sooner rather than later. We also need to stop those in low paid work from having a real struggle to make ends meet, workers should get enough to get by on which doesn't happen in many cases.

Or we may decide to stop funding a bloated military and propping up casino banking in London. Or we might make sure big businesses actually pay tax and don't avoid it (think Google, Amazon, Vodafone, etc.).  

All options are on the table if we're independent.