Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

In the SE that's a friendly term, sir.

I am more than capable of getting a rise out of someone and being entirely offensive. My posts are not intended as such. I really believe Scots should go for it on their own, with the Welsh, and Irish to boot. Really. The world economy will evolve into services and things like oil, gold (etc) will dwindle away. Scotland can make a real go of it, and if they do it fast they will win. If they carry on whinging and procrastinating, they will lose.

Ok, I now know some local lingo for when I'm down there next with work http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif I'm trusting you mind!

I agree we have some whingers up here. Plenty south of the border too - everywhere you go you will find some. If someone whinges about the Tories etc up here, I tell them to get off their butt and vote SNP, simples.

The SNP are not whinging and that is why they won. Libs whinged, Labour whinged. Tories acutally put up a campaign - at least they were straight up even though they will never do well. SNP said - 'we are going to fight for scotland' and did not sit around whinging. As a result, they won in a big way. They are now doing what the voters wanted - standing up for their constituents all guns blazing. For the first time in many years I find myself actually impressed by some politicians!

Aye well, we'll see. Hopefully the whingers will stop and realise they can do something about it if they wish - that applies for both sides of the border as we both have to suffer our fair share :drinks:

• Like 1
    Posted

Ok, I now know some local lingo for when I'm down there next with work http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif I'm trusting you mind!

I agree we have some whingers up here. Plenty south of the border too - everywhere you go you will find some. If someone whinges about the Tories etc up here, I tell them to get off their butt and vote SNP, simples.

The SNP are not whinging and that is why they won. Libs whinged, Labour whinged. Tories acutally put up a campaign - at least they were straight up even though they will never do well. SNP said - 'we are going to fight for scotland' and did not sit around whinging. As a result, they won in a big way. They are now doing what the voters wanted - standing up for their constituents all guns blazing. For the first time in many years I find myself actually impressed by some politicians!

Aye well, we'll see. Hopefully the whingers will stop and realise they can do something about it if they wish - that applies for both sides of the border as we both have to suffer our fair share :drinks:

Scots have the best opportunity for a generation, now. I mean NOW. If you want independence, the only time you will get it is your lifetime, NOW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The truth is that England (or at least the SE) would miss us more than we would miss them.

Despite all the doomsayers the Scottish North Sea still produces at least 500% more oil than we need to keep us self-sufficient in Scotland. No matter how you dress it up the English import oil, we export oil and we will continue to do so for decades. We don't use much oil compared to what we produce.

We have more water than we can shake a stick at...when 25 million people in the SE have severe water shortages this summer I will be able to leave all my taps fully open while having 5 hosepipes watering my already wet garden. Thirsty? Not me!!

We produce more electricity than we consume, the English import electricity. The SE in particular import electricity. We can switch you off, you can't do the same to us!

We have natural resources which the SE of England don't have, we would survive without you, but you wouldn't survive without us. The SE of England is one of the most densely populated areas on earth, reliance on imports can only be sustained for so long.

Most people outside of the SE would be more than happy to join Scotland in a Northern Non-Tory UK....don't think that Alex Salmond will stop at independence for Scotland, we're going to annex most of the rest of the UK and Ireland too...http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif :)

• Like 3
    Posted

My take on this is that as England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland(i think) are part of a Union at present, shouldn't all the 'home' nations have a say in any referendum on Scottish Independence? Just a thought

Bring it on! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

This is an interesting discussion point:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/01/19092748/8

Just look at our oil exports compared to our oil use...sorry peeps but read that and weep. I'd love to see the English equivalent!!! Do you produce 10% of what you use and import the rest? Hmm...

We use 10% of our crude oil and export the rest...we should really stop scrounging off the English for erm, what do we get again??! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    • Like 2
    Posted

Not at all. I see Scotland as a people who have their own right to self-determination. As I've already said, the Scots are guilty of immense amounts of procrastination, and hyperbole.

I don't think any true Scot is guilty of procrastination or hyperbole, and if we are guilty then it's a charge we can accept quite readily.

I'd rather procrastinate about freedom for a wee northern European country with not much influence in the world than be party to first degree murder in Iraq which is framed in terms of imposing US style democracy with the English as the US's lapdog.

I'd rather have some hyperbole which applies to Scottish nationalism than stand beside the busted flush of Obama pledging a fake allegiance to the "Special Relationship" between the UK and the US. Hyperbole...you English invented that. Or to be more precise, the SE English invented it...

We know we're nothing in the big scheme of things so how can you accuse us of hyperbole? You think you're a world power? Hmm, and we're accused of hyperbole?

Posted

Despite all the doomsayers the Scottish North Sea still produces at least 500% more oil than we need to keep us self-sufficient in Scotland. No matter how you dress it up the English import oil, we export oil and we will continue to do so for decades. We don't use much oil compared to what we produce.

We have more water than we can shake a stick at...when 25 million people in the SE have severe water shortages this summer I will be able to leave all my taps fully open while having 5 hosepipes watering my already wet garden. Thirsty? Not me!!

We produce more electricity than we consume, the English import electricity. The SE in particular import electricity. We can switch you off, you can't do the same to us!

We have natural resources which the SE of England don't have, we would survive without you, but you wouldn't survive without us. The SE of England is one of the most densely populated areas on earth, reliance on imports can only be sustained for so long.

Shhhhh CMD - people are not supposed to know this. What might happen if this info got into the wrong (SNP) hands? The story is supposed to be 'Scotland is a drain on UK resources but keeping the Union is important as we don't want to break up Britain (for no apparent reason other than sentimentality)'. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I have to say however - being a geologist now Researcher & Consultant within the energy industry who works on NS field developments with the big operators - that the above is factually correct.

• Like 1
    Posted

The truth is that England (or at least the SE) would miss us more than we would miss them.

Err, no we wouldn't. Not one iota.

Posted

I think CMD (netweather SNP heavy mob http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif ) should have said 'Westminster' instead of SE England; the latter implying the people that live in England rather than the UK government. Undoubtedly Westminster does not want independence (Dave C plans to 'Fight it with every fibre' for example) - ergo they will clearly miss Scotland if it does become independent. This is clear as day.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Agreed!

We can still stay in touch with Scotland, as many many shrewd Scots already live and work in England & Wales http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

It also seems to me that Scotland (as shown on this forum) are a one-trick 'pony' - all the Scots on this forum go on about to support independence, is their abundance of natural resources - that's about it, as far as i can make out!

As for a comment earlier by CMD - "Most people outside of the SE would be more than happy to join Scotland in a Northern Non-Tory UK" - i think you have a lot to learn about the political map of England & Wales - not one of your finest comments.

Posted

I think CMD should have said 'Westminster' instead of SE England; the latter implying the people that live in England rather than the UK government. Undoubtedly Westminster does not want independence (Dave C plans to 'Fight it with every fibre' for example) - ergo they will clearly miss Scotland if it does become independent. This is clear as day.

Yeah, DC is being an idiot. Every country has a right to self-determination including England (free of interference from Scots) and Scotland (free from interference from the English)

Posted

Yeah, DC is being an idiot. Every country has a right to self-determination including England (free of interference from Scots) and Scotland (free from interference from the English)

I would prefer 'maybe a touch over provocative' in mistaken response. We do get some plonkers on here trying to stir things up fairly often, and it can be hard sometimes to judge what someone is saying merely from words. Everyone - let's try to keep it civil.:good:

I agree with what you say about 'interference'. Just as the Scots have very little support for the conservatives so get hacked off when England votes them in, so those in England who vote conservative have the right to be hacked of when Scotland votes labour in generals for example. The devolution situation in many ways made things worse in the sense that Scotland could vote for Westminster (this had to be retained unless scotland was independent) and have MPs there - so could 'interfere' in English affairs (although they don't do this to any extent), while it has it's own parliament for many home affairs.

When devolution occurred, I did feel that it could well be the beginng of the end for the Union in it's current state, my question was how long though? The reasoning was that due to Scots politics being different, more and more differences in policy would occur across the border. Likewise, I believed scotland would eventually wish increasing powers to be devolved, with any interference/westminster dictation only accelerating this. I must admit I was surprised at how rapidly this has happened recently.

The thing is that now, with the SNP asking, however rightly (as the voters asked them to do it), for ever increasing powers (I expect all revenues from territorial waters to naturally come at some point ahead of any referendum), it will cause many south of the border to question how fair this is, i.e. why does England not have it's own parliament? Of course if this occurred, it would mean that westminster would cease to be a UK government in the tax/spend sense and would be reduced only to such things as defence. In effect, we would all start to become 'independent' nations.

I feel that is the way forward for the british Isles - independent countries with open internal borders working together in equality on common interests.

• Like 1
    Posted

Agreed!

It also seems to me that Scotland (as shown on this forum) are a one-trick 'pony' - all the Scots on this forum go on about to support independence, is their abundance of natural resources - that's about it, as far as i can make out!

Aye, majority of my colleagues are English - they love it up here. Lots of money in oil/gas and Scotland remains the oil capital of Europe/Offshore industry. Lovely countryside too. Snow in the winter. Skiing for 6 months of the year :good:

Hmmm. Confused by your post. What else is required for independence? Exports? Industry? These we already have - we are exporting our resources to the UK and elsewhere, with plenty of scope to up this, e.g. in the case of electricity and water. Only have 5 million people to look after, so plenty for you guys to buy.

I recently did a consultancy job on the Alywn-St Fergus gas export line for TOTAL. It alone carries 25% of UK gas usage ashore for distribution into the network. That means that it alone is carrying alone 2-3 time what Scotland uses, with the rest warming homes south of the Border. And it is just one of them.

Natural resources are what gives a country both income and stability, i.e. it can support itself without having to rely on imports. The rest it can sell at a decent profit. We have a great customer just next door too - 50 million of them wanting oil/gas, water, electricity and food. Happy to be of service.

All I can think of that Scotland is missing is an 'official' national anthem. In think the gov feels 'Flower of Scotland' is just a wee tad anti-english http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)

We have people, lochs, mountains, beaches, airports, businesses, a fishing industry, a farming industry, a sense of our own history, a strong national culture - what on earth more does a country need?

All I can think of that Scotland is missing is an 'official' national anthem. In think the gov feels 'Flower of Scotland' is just a wee tad anti-english http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Just a bit, especially when people sing 'w*nkers' after 'proud Edward's Army'http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King.

This verse was only temporary in the

National Anthem ..

BL :)

Posted

This verse was only temporary in the

National Anthem ..

BL :)

LOL. I honestly didn't know about that.

I guess if that verse was slotted back in, we could be ok with Flower of Scotland http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

• Like 1
    Posted

Found it!

This version of 'Scotland the Brave' has me sold:

If you canny laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at.http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

"Land o' the Kilt and Sporran -

Underneath, there's nothin' worn!

How I wish the wind was warm! Scotland the Brave."

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Haahaa, that's great !

Walking about wi' your frozen twosome! :rofl:

BL

Posted

Didn't know about the Comres Poll a couple of weeks back.

Anyway, result on the independence question was:

Scotland should be an independent country?

Scotland: Agree 38% Disagree 46% (69% of SNP voters agree)

http://www.comres.co...1902473831.aspx

Last yougov on 12th May was more widely dicussed in the media:

Scotland: Agree 29% Disagree 58%

http://ukpollingrepo...g/archives/3570

So currently looks as if a least a third/33% of Scots support full independence.

EDIT. Just found this today:

http://news.scotsman.com/politics/Labour-warns-BBC-against-proNat.3277599.jp

Ha ha ha he he ho ho ha ha ha he he ho ho ha ha he he ho ho ha ha ha he he ho ho ha ha he he ho ho ha ha ha he he ho ho...pauses to try to breathe....ha ha he he ho ho ha ha ha he he ho ho ha ha he he ho ho ha ha ha he he ho ho..getting a stitch now...ha he he ho ho ha ha he he ho ho ha ha..SS breathes deeply, tries to regain composure...

I'm sorry, but that is just the funniest thing I've ever heard. 'The British Broadcasting Corporation might be biased to the SNP' - classic comedy from Labour. Absolutely brilliant. Almost peed myself.

SNP pushing for a Scottish controlled 'SBC' paid for by license holders north of the border. Good idea as far as I'm concerned - I'd love to see more news and programmes relevant to up here.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

BBC News

Mr Salmond's economic advisor, Prof. Kay's first thoughts ..

"Little Gain for Scotland from full Independence"

BL.

Posted

BBC News

Mr Salmond's economic advisor, Prof. Kay's first thoughts ..

"Little Gain for Scotland from full Independence"

BL.

Professor John Kay said that while the move would "clearly be economically viable"....

Yes, I always laugh when people ask 'So how is Scotland going to be this super rich nation under independence huh?'.

I don't recall Scots ever claiming Scotland would be super rich, but likely similar or possibly slightly better off.

We supporters of independence just wish to look after our own bank account and spend our taxes it on policies Scotland wants. That's all.:good:

• Like 1
    Posted

We supporters of independence just wish to look after our own bank account and spend our taxes it on policies Scotland wants. That's all.:good:

A lot of taxes required to support your Cuban-Style Welfare State!http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Posted

A lot of taxes required to support your Cuban-Style Welfare State!http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Aye, but it's viable. Best health service in the world has cuba http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I like the way the BBC makes the headline:

"Salmond adviser Kay: Independence offers 'little' gain"

As opposed to:

"Salmond adviser Kay: Independence economically viable with overall net gain"

It's great having an impartial government broadcaster. :whistling:

Although to be honest, I'm suprised this made the news - Independence viable? Should that not be kept quiet? We don't want them damn rebellious scots rebelling again!:D

EDIT. Latest employment figures continue to show scotland to contine to be on a par with England

Posted Image

Source: Labour Force Survey, Seasonally Adjusted data, Office for National Statistics

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1