Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Meanwhile..

OMG. I'm voting No having read the below.

I'm utterly terrified and off to hide under the bed. Jeez, a 'catastrophic' terror attack looms if Scots troops stop being involved with the UK/US in blowing up brown people so that oil can keep being sold in $.

Posted Image

Now lets see. No of direct terrorist attacks in Scotland within living memory = 1. Scale of attack =  failed/very minor. Reason for attack = being part of UK. No of dead = 0.

Edited by scottish skier
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Now what the man actually said was: ""Myself, I don't see how England will stay without Scotland and Scotland stay without England," he said. "This is how we all grew up, with the UK, not with Scotland and England," he said."

So a pretty balanced view that England and Scotland might struggle without each other.

Nope, according to the Telegraph it's "Opec head blow to Salmond: Scotland should stay in UK".

A pro-independence headline could have been "England to struggle without Scotland in the union"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10359533/Opec-head-blow-to-Salmond-Scotland-should-stay-in-UK.html

Posted

I see Michael Moore is for the chop as Governor General.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/for-your-licence-fee-today/

I suspect it’s because he’s going to lose his MP seat whether it’s a Yes or a No, and thus is something of a liability in terms of possibly jumping ship / being too soft. His replacement is in the safest Lib Dem seat in the whole of the UK so can probably be more easily bought.

Here’s the BBC’s 'intelligent' analysis of the development, courtesy of WoS:

“Alistair Carmichael, the man who is replacing him, the chief whip, I think he will adopt more of an abrasive, in-your-face approach to Alex Salmond. There’s going to be less of the sort of sotto-vocce criticism, much more right-in-your-face. Clearly they feel maybe they need to step it up a level.

Interesting, because that would run against what has been the whole thrust of the ‘Better Together’ campaign – they have deliberately not sought to ramp it up, deliberately not sought to make it easy for Alex Salmond to portray them as, you know, Sassenachs etc etc etc.â€

Yes, that’s what Scottish democracy is all about, hating sassenachs and stuff. Each day, all those Scots who support independence or more devolution just wander around disliking Bob from Manchester and Sue from Bath. A good 8 hrs of this per day per person is expected. It's nothing to do with just wanting the best for their country. Nothing to do with improved democracy. Nothing to do with hope for a better future. Na, just ‘Bloody sassenachs’.

The combination of ignorance, stupidity and most of all, an enormous degree of arrogance (Scottish independence is so not about English people you arrogant halfwit) is beyond belief.

I also guess Mr Moore was maybe a little too liberal for the role. After all, he wasn’t a total plonker when it came to negotiations; certainly one of the least so on the pro-union camp. His replacement however is more in tune with the increasingly xenophobic pro-union campaign theme it would seem:

“And the Orkney resident and Scotsman has a strong, personal bond to Scotland remaining in the United Kingdom; he has two sons with his English wife Kathryn, and doesn’t want their ancestors to be consigned to a foreign country by Scottish independence.â€

What is wrong with ‘foreigners’? Why do British nationalist politicians fear/dislike ‘non-British’ so much? It’s certainly making my wife and European/overseas colleagues/friends increasingly worried, especially coming on the back of the whole crackdown on immigration / anti-immigrant vans etc.

• Like 1
    Posted

I tend to agree with a fair bit of this from the New Statesman.

http://archive.is/NhlpL

Why Michael Moore's sacking as Scottish Secretary will weaken the No campaign

Moore was sacked because the Cabinet had grown anxious about his conciliatory approach to the independence referendum. 

Yes, but was the sacking intentional, i.e. to deliberately weaken the No campaign? I've yet to see anything that suggests to me the Tories are working to keep Scotland in the union. Quite the opposite in fact. 

This could also coincide with negotiations on what happens in the event of a Yes vote being concluded or nearly so; the white paper and joint statement being next month. Now that the amicable part is complete, put in a rampant unionist whose party completely betrayed Scots Lib voters as SoS to further push Scots to Yes?

After all, the SoS is supposed to be Scotland's man in Westminster, not Westminster's man in Scotland. Michael Moore at least made some attempt at the former despite being a unionist. Alastair Carmichael is in contrast a fairly rabid British Nationalist going by what I've read (dislikes 'non-British / foreigners' as noted). Also completely rubbish at debating; Nicola Sturgeon would have him for breakfast.

----

EDIT. What certainly strikes me most is that unionists seem to see this as a battle between them and the SNP. However, as ~1/3 are definitely for indy and ~1/3 are for devo max, then the pro-union campaign are actually 'battling' against 2/3 of the Scots electorate. Or at least making a new enemy out of the 1/3 devo maxers. Maybe it is intentional...

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24437333

Any comments on the part that says 500,000 votes will swing the referendum any way?

What I find amusing is all these doom and gloom papers emerging from the Tories in London.

Surely they are aware that at best 2 in 10 of the Scottish electorate trust Westminster to 'act in the interests of Scotland' (according to the SSAS) and these are core no voters who won't change their mind anyway? And that's Westminster, not specifically the Tories.

I wonder if Hammond would be swayed by a paper by a left-wing party in Germany on how Britain should be run. That's the effective equivalent.

That 500k is about 10% and that would be more than enough to swing it. Recent polls have just a 5% swing for parity.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Can I ask who or what intends to attack Scotland soon?

By not being part of the Union, Scotland would be much safer from attack. It has a great historical relationship with Russia, so not them. Islamic fundamentalists?, perhaps, but less likely as a Scottish Government is not going to be in the pocket of the USA.

France?, non!, historically good relations.

Iceland?, I would assume better relations with commitments to protect fish stocks?

Ireland?, Don't have much of an Army.

Norway?, one of the most peace loving nations on the planet.

That only leaves one country which borders Scotland by land or see, England!

Now, we;ve had trouble there before..... :-)

and sent them home tae think again.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Can I ask who or what intends to attack Scotland soon?

By not being part of the Union, Scotland would be much safer from attack. It has a great historical relationship with Russia, so not them. Islamic fundamentalists?, perhaps, but less likely as a Scottish Government is not going to be in the pocket of the USA.

France?, non!, historically good relations.

Iceland?, I would assume better relations with commitments to protect fish stocks?

Ireland?, Don't have much of an Army.

Norway?, one of the most peace loving nations on the planet.

That only leaves one country which borders Scotland by land or see, England!

Now, we;ve had trouble there before..... :-)

and sent them home tae think again.

Being in or out makes no difference in the risk of attack, anybody who attacks England would almost certainly attack Scotland as well and you guys would probably defend us. If the Ruskies attacked Scotland on the other hand then i doubt England would even ask if you needed help, there's be missiles and air attacks almost instantly.

In regards to terrorism there is again little risk of attack. There seems to be a notion that terrorists don't attack countries which are not involved in the Middle East, all i say to that is talk to the Swiss intelligence services.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Stirling Council are disgraceful if they take down the Saltire.

Incidently can anyone confirm Red tie with yellow lions is the English Royal Standard...guy in my work has it on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Stirling Council are disgraceful if they take down the Saltire.

They are disgraceful in wasting time and money even debating it.

Posted

What were folk expecting? The union flag is the flag of right wing parties and Stirling council is a right-wing Labour-Tory coalition (I wonder how those who voted Labour feel about this, never mind that the SNP won the most seats...).

They of course backed down, but not before making complete fools of themselves.

http://archive.is/9Kz9W

After the backlash: Labour, Tory councillors drop plan to replace Saltire with Union flag

That's the other thing about the pro-union campaign that I find unpleasant; the way they put political words in the mouths of the dead.

"the symbols [union flag] of men and women of Stirling have fought and died under for 300 years".

So all the Scots that died in the trenches fought for 'Britain'? What about the 1000's of Scottish independence supporters that died?

In 1945, just after WWII, half the Scots electorate signed a petition calling for a Scottish Parliament. Suggests to me lots of Scots were fighting for Scotland or just to help liberate France etc.

Nearly 30,000 irish died fighting 'under' the union flag in WWI. Their thanks was for the guns of the union flag to turn on them and open fire. You can understand where the term 'butcher's apron' came from in this context anyway.

--------------

EDIT.

Full six episodes of 'The fear factor' now out as one video.

http://vimeo.com/75851059

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

It's the same nonsense where the Tories argue that the referendum is Scotland v,s Salmond and Scotland doesn't want Salmond.Two things are wrong with that statement.Scotland voted for Salmond and put him in government.They didn't vote Tory but  we have a Tory government.Second the referendum is Scotland v,s an outdated UK dying on it,s backside.Who do these people think they are speaking for.

Edited by November13
    Posted

Quite unique. Would love to see it.

A tapestry telling the chequered story of Scotland’s past should delight unionists and nationalists alike

You can write history on paper, memorialise the past in poetry and song, engrave it on stone or paint it on canvas; but when it is stitched into fabric to form a tapestry it takes on a distinct emotive power, like prehistoric cave art or Ancient Egyptian painting.

A tapestry is an emphatic political document, a grand three-dimensional story intended to be touched as well as seen, an object of beauty but also an idea of the past sewn into the present, a stitch in time, a yarn told in yarn.

The Great Tapestry of Scotland is the most ambitious attempt to capture the past in needle and thread since the Bayeux Tapestry, which it so resonantly echoes; and like the great tapestry at Bayeux, historians a millennium from today might still be reading it, exploring what its makers meant and debating its place in the politics of Scotland.

The Scottish tapestry is the longest in the world. It tells the story of Scotland across 160 panels, each depicting a different moment in the country’s past, creating a narrative tableau stretching more than 500 feet, beginning 400 million years ago and ending today.

http://scotlandstapestry.com/index.php

• Like 2
    Posted

I hate the fact that  every challenge is seen as a negative

Scotland is the capital of necessity breeds invention

Those who support independence or Devo Max are those with 'get up and go' in my experience. They see challenges - the challenges that every country faces, including the UK - as challenges to find to solutions to, not insurmountable negative barriers. They are positive and confident people. They believe in themselves and Scotland. They have courage and conviction.

It is those on the status quo/union side seem to lack any sense of ambition - 'We cannae dae it' etc being the mantra.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Posted Image

Today shares in the newly privatised Royal Mail are being traded, amid claims they were undervalued. While City speculators make a killing, it's worth remembering Scotland opposed the privatisation - and was ignored.

Posted

Posted Image

Today shares in the newly privatised Royal Mail are being traded, amid claims they were undervalued. While City speculators make a killing, it's worth remembering Scotland opposed the privatisation - and was ignored.

"Scotland opposed the privatisation"??

Is that the population or the government?

I suspect many people in England and Wales did as well, so i'm not sure what your point is.

Posted

"Scotland opposed the privatisation"??Is that the population or the government?I suspect many people in England and Wales did as well, so i'm not sure what your point is.

Both the Scottish Parliament and Scotland's MPs at UK level (the graphic) oppose the sell off. Polls of the electorate too.

I think the point is that it was universally opposed in Scotland and if Scotland was independent, it could have been decided otherwise.

I'm kinda lost on what your point is too BB.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

The majority elected govt of Scotland, actually..

Whether you support Labour or SNP up here, we still get bogged down with a Con-Dem govt who neither represent me nor  millions more in Scotland. Get it?

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
    Posted

BTW, I work for Royal Mail and i don't particularly like the way how my future is being talked about in positive terms with regards shares versus the real world once all this crap settles down.

Posted

BTW, I work for Royal Mail and i don't particularly like the way how my future is being talked about in positive terms with regards shares versus the real world once all this crap settles down.

Did u elect to take shares in your co.?
    Posted

The majority elected govt of Scotland, actually.. Whether you support Labour or SNP up here, we still get bogged down with a Con-Dem govt who neither represent me nor  millions more in Scotland. Get it?

Well, i've never voted Labour but i got stuck with them for 13 years. Whilst Scotland remains part of the UK you'll just have to put up with a govt 'elected' by the whole of the UK.
    Posted

Well, i've never voted Labour but i got stuck with them for 13 years. 

Which does suggest you voted the other mob who are currently doing Scotland a great disservice! 

Posted

Did u elect to take shares in your co.?

Did I elect? Who are you to ask?

For the avoidance of doubt, Royal Mail forced the share issue on its employees. When you read of potential, nay very probable, strike action coming soon all is not rosey at RM, even if the ConDem party believe otherwise.. 

O/T, why is Vince Cable, a man well over retirement age, still in govt and working?