Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

BBC Scotland are like Scottish Labour a Myth!

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

This is good news. Direct Flights to Chicago from Edinburgh starting soon, adding to New York.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-24066552

United Airlines to offer new service between Edinburgh and Chicago

I'm happy because this gives me another option for Houston in two hops. Add in the direct to Dubai from Glasgow, Norwegain to Norway (Oslo and Bergen) and that's my three main work destinations covered.

I liked Schiphol (KLM lounge has been a life saver), but the less stops the better!

-----------

And what was Lamont thinking at FMQ's. If I was John McGlynn I'd consider suing her.

She should maybe focus on getting Scottish Labour out of the red; they're close to going bust.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/hard-times/

it's income also plunged, by around £205,000 (or almost 28%). The party also saw a hefty £110,000 fall (25%) in the value of its assets.

The biggest hit came under “Miscellaneous incomeâ€, which plummeted from £222,000 in 2011 to just £15,000 in 2012, a 93% crash. We’d be most curious to know exactly what that category describes. Party conference profits plunged from £21,000 (with receipts having been almost double the cost of the 2011 shindig) to just £4000. And in 2012 the party’s net operating loss almost doubled, from £46,000 to £90,000.

I wonder if Lamont is considered an asset or a liability?

Down to ~5000 members now. Holy guacamole. SNP hit a new high of 25,000 back in March.

I guess this is why we're hearing nothing from 'Untied with Labour' and their 'separatist' (from Better Together) pro-union campaign. Instead, Tory-funded Better Together are the only show in town and they can't get any boots on the ground. 
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

The McGlynn affair has been useful in one sense. It finally proves that the Unionists and the mainstream media are happy to just lie and invent anti SNP stories. Even when the truth comes out it is then downplayed or ignored. the fact that the whole deal was constructed by the previous Labour governmnet in Scotland doesn't seem to bother the Scottish Media when reporting stories. However as my grannie used to say if you are going to be a liar then be a good liar. Lamont is just too thick to see the train crash when it is happening in front of her. This is basic schoolboy research and her hubbie is on the SPT board who were involved in the deal. Not only that McGlynn is not even a Yes supporter he is a Tory who wants DEVO MAX. Lamont please resign you are just an embarassment to everyone. Perhaps you are more suited to be the cleaners union Rep, than fit to be an elected leader of any political party.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The McGlynn affair has been useful in one sense. It finally proves that the Unionists and the mainstream media are happy to just lie and invent anti SNP stories. Even when the truth comes out it is then downplayed or ignored. the fact that the whole deal was constructed by the previous Labour governmnet in Scotland doesn't seem to bother the Scottish Media when reporting stories. However as my grannie used to say if you are going to be a liar then be a good liar. Lamont is just too thick to see the train crash when it is happening in front of her. This is basic schoolboy research and her hubbie is on the SPT board who were involved in the deal. Not only that McGlynn is not even a Yes supporter he is a Tory who wants DEVO MAX. Lamont please resign you are just an embarassment to everyone. Perhaps you are more suited to be the cleaners union Rep, than fit to be an elected leader of any political party.

I hadn't heard anything about this story until now, that's an utter cracker if true. There's something quite dark and seedy about Labour in Scotland.

Posted

A brave electoral strategy to say the least.

Posted Image

Article: http://archive.is/QfgGQ

But he'll most likely have been promised a safe seat in England for 2015. Michael Moore too. Clearly not considering a future in Scottish politics anyway.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Anyway, if you want to hear what one hand clapping sounds like, tune into the BBC's super high quality coverage of the 'Liberal Democract Confernce' in Glasgow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Packed out it looks like. Note the spelling correction. Ok, one down at least!

Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Packed out it looks like. Note the spelling correction. Ok, one down at least!

There's probably more staff running the thing than attendees. At least it shows their supporters can tell the ship is sinking and have had the sense (mostly) to jump off.

Posted

There's probably more staff running the thing than attendees. At least it shows their supporters can tell the ship is sinking and have had the sense (mostly) to jump off.

Aye. Turns out this is actually the combined Scottish and UK-wide conference. Imagine it was just the Scottish one (they used to have them separately); they could probably have just held it in someone's kitchen.

They've lost 75% of their support in Scotland; polling 6% now for Westminster (5% for Holyrood). They'll never get it back this side of indy.

Puts support for the coalition on barely ~20%. This contrasts UK-wide where the Tories+Libs have 42% combined or so.

Labour on just over 30% at best for both.

SNP 45-47% in both. Climbing up again potentially after dipping to 44% last year.

Posted

Aye. Turns out this is actually the combined Scottish and UK-wide conference. Imagine it was just the Scottish one (they used to have them separately); they could probably have just held it in someone's kitchen.

They've lost 75% of their support in Scotland; polling 6% now for Westminster (5% for Holyrood). They'll never get it back this side of indy.

Puts support for the coalition on barely ~20%. This contrasts UK-wide where the Tories+Libs have 42% combined or so.

Labour on just over 30% at best for both.

SNP 45-47% in both. Climbing up again potentially after dipping to 44% last year.

Those kind of numbers leave me scratching my head. Support for the SNP seems unbelievably high and support for independence seems unbelievably low.

As for the Lib-Dems, it has been a spectacular implosion, my gran would not be amused if she was still alive :lol:

Posted

Those kind of numbers leave me scratching my head. Support for the SNP seems unbelievably high and support for independence seems unbelievably low.

As for the Lib-Dems, it has been a spectacular implosion, my gran would not be amused if she was still alive Posted Image

Yes, and no.

It's very much to do with this:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/on-the-other-side-of-fear/

Posted Image

Which is originally based around people's behaviour in response to emotional trauma (death of a loved one, break up of marriage etc), but has been put forward to explain a populations response to radical change (the SHOCK). Initial denial/resistance and doubt wither as people come to accept that the status quo is over. This then forces examination where people discover the change is maybe not so scary after all, even quite attractive, and start committing to it.

We see this in the SNP VI and it is what led to the landslide. Or at least created the sudden SNP rise seen early in 2011 which took most by surprise.

The SHOCK was the prospect of and return of the Tories (the previous shock was less of one, but was the end of New Labour and initial rise of the SNP).

The denial, resistance and doubt stage manifested as people who had been dumping Labour for the SNP 2007-2009 making a last desperate attempt to preserve the status quo by swinging back to labour for 2010. It failed. Acceptance followed, then examination and commitment to the new status quo (SNP government). That's very much what drove the 'sudden' landslide. It was on the cards from 2009, but needed people to commit to it; something quite radical for a long term-labour voter unsure about pushing Scotland finally towards independence.

SNP voting / majority /in government is now normalised. It is the new status quo.

We are on the next cycle. You can see how the polls went ahead for Yes in 2011. That was euphoria. Then the realisation of what that meant kicked in for many. That was the new shock - it was apparently going to happen; the referendum that is. Everything could change. What about the EU, currency, economy, pensions? Full on scaremongering from the pro-union campaign begins and some people go into panic resistance mode, doubting things. Support for Yes drops.

In anonymous polls, it does not drop so much (max gap around 12 points or 6% swing). All the polls below the Yes trend curve are largely the non-anonymous ones (telephone and face to face); those above online anonymous. 'Independence is anti-English and stupid' etc causes people to say no when they intend yes. It's why you have up to 80% SNP voters saying yes online, only 60% when asked on the phone, and 55% when asked in their living room... Resulted in a bigger gap here of up to 25% and has made it look like support dropped back a lot more than it did.

Anyway, support for No peaked late 2012, as did the yes trough reach lowest point. That point was acceptance; in October 2012 the Edinburgh agreement was signed. Scotland would vote on independence. The UK would accept the result. Scotland may very well become independent.

And so examination began; people now need to look deeply into the matter and make a decision. It would seem people are doing so and committing. Once people commit, they don't go back. That's why we only saw a modest dip in SNP share but a big one in Yes. SNP voting is normalised now; it's no longer a huge change to the status quo; it is the status quo.

The question is whether the majority commit to independence as the new status quo before September 2014.

If they start to and the polls show Yes going ahead, a lot of the media will start to swing behind Yes (the Sun for one!) and it will become self-reinforcing; normalisation of independence as the future that is, leading to further commitment.

This is why the pro-union camp wanted the referendum early. They didn't want to give people time to observe and think carefully. Instead get them to vote when they're still confused and nervous.

----

EDIT. I included yougov separately to show why people should ignore them. They weight to UKGE elections and due to the problem of SNP/Labour swapping, this results in lots of SNP voters saying they voted SNP in 2010 when they didn't, they voted Labour. That causes Yougov - who are ignorant of Scottish politics (it stands out like a sore thumb in tables FGS!) - to heavily down-weight SNP respondents and up-weight labour ones. This, hilariously, means that as support for the SNP has risen and Scotland gets closer to independence, so Yougov get an increasing support for No. You can see how they started going wrong post ~2007 as that's when the main turn from Labour to the SNP began, just manifesting at Holyrood but not at UK level where the tactic anti-Tory vote persisted. That's changed too now though and SNP are the top choice for both.  Yougov will keep pumping out crap until they weight to the last GE in Scotland - as standard practice if you do this type of weighting - which was May 2011.

post-9421-0-71872600-1379184060_thumb.pn

post-9421-0-92948400-1379185927_thumb.pn

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Oh cool, rare as hen's teeth that you get to do this when filling in online forms...

http://www.glasgow2014.com/

Posted Image

I wonder if they had similar for previous Commonwealth Games tickets, or if the website thought the date was 2014, say about the 19th of September 2014 :lol:

Posted

There's been a few comments about Lib Dem voters being the most anti-indepedence recently, prior to the 2010 UK General Election, support for Independence was frequently higher amongst Lib Dem voters than SNP voters. The drift of those seeking more radical constitutional change started post May 2007 - I know quite a few people who were in the Lib Dems and/or regularly voted Lib Dem who were furious with the parties attitude after the 2007 Scottish General Election.

For much of the 90's the Lib Dems were shouting for a multi option referendum, the morning after the 2007 Election I was certain their would be an SNP / Lib Dem government - it seemed to make sense for them to get together and drive for radical constitutional change. Equally I thought that there would have been an independence referendum before 2011, supported by the Lib Dems.

It sounds like the law was laid down from above by the Federal Party under the guise of Ming Campbell in 2007 - perhaps he and other senior Lib Dems had their eyes focussed rather to closely on the ermine robes?

Whatever the reason, it's crystal clear why Lib Dem voters are the most anti-Indy - all those supporting independence and indeed those wanting more than the status quo have gone over to the SNP. It was entirely in the remit of Tavish Scot given the Scottish Lib Dems are a separate party to have said the Scottish Lib Dems would not be in the Coalition government. A few may remember there was a behind closed doors emergency Lib Dem conference a couple of years ago, contrary to the public spin, I've heard that it did discuss rejecting the Federal parties support for the Tory led government and changing party policy to support independence. The Lib Dems can not recover unless they back deliverable radical constitutional change and the only game in town now is independence. The Scottish Lib Dems are on the wrong side of a history they should have been helping shape.

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 1
    Posted

Just like it; as soon as I post my graph, some more polls come out.

I haven’t seen the tables (will be a day or two), but headline figures I understand are:

Panelbase

Vote in 2014?

Yes 37

No 47

Gap 10 points or 5% swing to parity.

Vote if held tomorrow (undecided forced to choose):

Yes = 48%

No = 52%

So parity within precision variance (+/-3%) and coming on the back of the recent 44Y / 43N from panelbase.

ICM

Vote in 2014?

Yes 32%

No 49%

If no further devolution, particularly of tax and welfare, vote? (amongst those likely or certain to vote I understand):

Yes 45%

No 55%

=5% swing to parity (remembering a +/-3% variance too).

EDIT. Note 59% want Holyrood to control all taxation and welfare (Devo Max) according to ICM. Not sure how many against; need tables for that.

Both baseline numbers don’t change the trend shown in my graph of things moving to parity by late 2013/early 2014.

The ‘more powers’ seems to be the forcing factor. In the panelbase poll, you might have expected undecided to go for No if forced. However, more moved to Yes. I suspect this is because there is nothing promised in terms of more powers in the event of a no.

Anyway, a further two polls which should please the Yes campaign a year out; a narrowing gap with a devo max type situation needed to give no a decent lead.

What I particularly liked was this, which relates to what I was saying about Yougov. Panelbase talking about past vote weighting:

For our Scottish polls, we weight the results to match the 2011 Holyrood election, filtered to report only people who are very likely to vote. To demonstrate an example of the potential effect of analysis on outcomes, we reran our tables for this poll with the results weighted to match the Scottish vote in the 2010 Westminster election instead.

Still filtered on likelihood to vote, this produced a 63%-37% lead for No — more than double the 12-point gap of our Holyrood weighting approach.

While there is logic in weighting Holyrood voting intention questions to 2011 and Westminster voting intention to 2010, there is a debate to be had about which is more likely to produce an accurate result for the referendum question.

For example, it’s a Scottish issue but also a UK constitutional one. We are sticking with our current model for two main reasons. First, while we accept that Westminster or plain demographic weighting are perfectly reasonable, we still feel that weighting to Holyrood is also valid, and our respondent recall of that more recent election seems to be closer to reality.

If they apply Yogov’s method of weighting to 2010, they get something stupid and out of line with all the other polls too. If they use May 2011 instead, they get a better match with the other polls which don’t use any form of past vote weighting.

If Yougov take note and change their methods to standard in the industry (if you weight to past election, you weight to the most recent GE which is May 2011), the No campaign would get a shock and lose it's favourite pollster.

---------------

EDIT. Times article:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/stimespb.jpg

Don't knows can deliver independence

Salmond break-up poll boost

THE future of the union between Scotland and England is on a knife edge one year ahead of the independence referendum, according to a new poll which reveals how undecided Scots are likely to cast their vote.

The latest Panelbase survey of 1,002 adults for The Sunday Times and Real Radio Scotland puts support for independence at 37%, unchanged since July, while backing for the union is up one point on 47% and 16% are undecided (-1).

It means that among those expressing a preference, support for a No vote is at 56%, with the Yes campaign trailing on 44%.

However, when the 16% of Scots still undecided are asked how they would vote if the referendum was today the No lead falls to just four points with the gap narrowing to 53:47.

---

'Salmond break-up poll boost'

What stupidity from what's supposed to be a good quality paper. Salmond, Salmond, Salmond. Sounds like the Mail. The people of Scotland will decide what happens, not Mr Salmond. He's just delivering a manifesto commitment. He's not even on the YesScotland board.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Well, Boris did say something similar: "I'm making the argument to the Treasury that a pound spent in Croydon is far more of value to the country than a pound spent in Strathclyde." 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/26/job-creation-london-mayor-huffpost-linkedin_n_1456092.html

Gives you a good idea what the Tories would aim for in the event of a No vote next year.

Posted

I love the way that a picture chosen for an article in the MSM which is highlighting a "Braveheart tendency" actually sums up Scottish attitudes to minorities (look behind the man with the painted face):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/independence-referendum-its-the-braveheart-tendency-vs-the-women-of-scotland-8816908.html

post-2844-0-47173800-1379260748_thumb.jp

• Like 1
    Posted

From today's Sunday Herald. As printed and on sale.

Posted Image

The story behind this is to the right at the bottom in italics. Needless to say the Scottish leader duly filled his half of the 2 page spread with his opposing argument for independence.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

I love the way that a picture chosen for an article in the MSM which is highlighting a "Braveheart tendency" actually sums up Scottish attitudes to minorities (look behind the man with the painted face):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/independence-referendum-its-the-braveheart-tendency-vs-the-women-of-scotland-8816908.html

Posted Imagep29scotlandFAviaGETTY.jpg

Aye, probably has a wee sgian-dubh secreted away in his turban. Posted Image

And yes, I've always based my voting intention on Mel Gibson films. Lethal weapon was particularly influential in pushing me to the centre-left of the political spectrum.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Clearly, we've entered the 'poll overload' stage now we're coming up on a year to go.

Scotsman hinting at something?

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/379319422202019840

Boost for @YesScotland in new @TheScotsman poll. Scots would vote Yes if particular pledge was guaranteed. More on this story later #indyref

Maybe the pledge will be 'as long as Alex Salmond doesn't wear tartan trews again'?

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

It comes back to the 'better off' question (trust the Toryman).

http://archive.is/BYWdL

And no wonder in times of austerity with wages regressing backwards rapidly.

And just a little better off too; '£500'/year being the number the Scotsman pulled out of the hat, presumably as the same question got a yes in past SSAS's. That turns 49 No vs 32 Yes into:

47 Y

37 N

16 DK

=56% Yes at the polls

Maybe the Tory vote swinging it? Posted Image

Anyway, shows how soft the No vote is; we're back, within +/-3% just about to the core 1/3 No which won't be persuaded.

The tables for this one should be interesting. Who are the 15%?

I suspect this will be the better off group (which would include the Tory vote of ~15% LOL) who are more reticent; they have more to lose in theory and are more resistant than the average.

Oh and thanks for your yearly Algarve poll BB; I'll add that to my running averages.

EDIT.

For the 'neither worse nor better off' we have:

Yes = 39

No = 44

Only a 2.5% swing needed for parity (maybe already parity as those figures are within variance). So the ICM does suggest things are returning to parity; more so than the original headline figures. Given that a majority of Scots think independence would result in things being the same or better (I'll dig this out), this last figure is probably close to the 'right now if forced' intention. Ties in with panelbase who got 48 Y / 52 N for a forced referendum result tomorrow. The above would yield (taking out the DKs as per panelbase) 47 Y / 53 N.

Certainly, after a year to year and a half of being ahead, the No camp seems to be on the back foot with convergence apparently occurring. Should liven things up!

---

EDIT, on the economic question, from the Scottish Social Attitudes Survey 2011 and 2012...

Effect of independence on the Scottish economy:

8% A lot better
    27% A little better

NET BETTER = 35%

25% Neither better nor worse

19% A little worse
    13% A lot worse

NET WORSE = 32%

DK = 9%

The third that think worse are of course those who oppose independence. However, I'd suspect the economy is not the main reason for opposition. This group also are, generally, 'British' or 'Equally Scottish and British', ergo it is as much an identity question as anything else.
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

VI from the panelbase poll in the times:

Panelbase/Sunday Times
    Scottish Parliament voting intention
    Sample size: 1002
    Fieldwork: 30 August – 5 September 2013
    (+/- change from Scottish GE 2011)

Constituency vote

SNP 45% (n/c)
    Lab 32% (n/c)
    Con 12% (-2)
    LD 5% (-3)

List vote

SNP 46% (+2)
    Lab 28% (+2)
    Con 12% (n/c)
    Grn 6% (+2)
    LD 4% (-1)

Would yield ~56% of MSPs for pro-indy parties (SNP, Green, MM).

Libs behind the Greens. Ooch.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

VI from the panelbase poll in the times:

Panelbase/Sunday Times

Scottish Parliament voting intention

Sample size: 1002

Fieldwork: 30 August – 5 September 2013

(+/- change from Scottish GE 2011)

Constituency vote

SNP 45% (n/c)

Lab 32% (n/c)

Con 12% (-2)

LD 5% (-3)

List vote

SNP 46% (+2)

Lab 28% (+2)

Con 12% (n/c)

Grn 6% (+2)

LD 4% (-1)

Would yield ~56% of MSPs for pro-indy parties (SNP, Green, MM).

Libs behind the Greens. Ooch.

The LibDems are sinking, they might soon be off the bottom of the scale making up the "Others". I feel a tinge of sadness about that, I remember fondly as a youngster time spent with my grandparents out delivering leaflets in the run up to elections. My gran would be utterly disgusted by what's happened to them, they have sold their souls.

I was in Berwick yesterday helping Mrs Catch at her work, I overheard two gents having a chat about the possibility of Scottish independence. They were viciously against it, apparently anyone supporting independence is "a vile racist who wants to rip families apart" and "they're all anti-English scum". If it hadn't been Mrs Catch's workplace I would have spoken to them, I was fuming. I certainly won't be going for a divorce if independence happens.

Posted

Currently in The Algarve - same Scots here as last year - if Scotland votes "Yes" to independence i'll be flabbergasted. Truly.

I'll be flabbergasted too BB :good: In much the same way I was flabbergasted when Andy Murray won Wimbledon :)