Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Additional results of the recent panelbase poll now out (results for those 8-10 most likely or definitely planning to vote):

If you felt the 2015 UK general election was going to result in a Conservative-led government, or another Conservative / Liberal Democrat coalition at Westminster, would you be:

41%  Very likely to vote for Scottish Independence:
    9% Quite likely to vote for Scottish Independence:
    Total Likely = 50%

10% Quite unlikely to vote for independence
    31% Very unlikely to vote for Scottish independence
    Total unlikely 41%

Unsure = 8%

If you felt the 2015 UK general election was going to result in a Labour-led government at Westminster, would you be:

37%  Very likely to vote for Scottish Independence:
    10% Quite likely to vote for Scottish Independence:
    Total Likely = 47%

10% Quite unlikely to vote for independence
    32% Very unlikely to vote for Scottish independence
    Total unlikely 42%

Unsure = 11%

Wow, a majority in both cases. 

Also, TNS-BMRB has a new poll out. However, it's already being stated as flawed as they asked 2011 vote but didn't weight to that meaning Labour got an extra 7% of the electorate and the SNP lost 8% which was left uncorrected. Ergo, flawed base.

Even Prof C. of the BBC critical on whatscotlandthinks. Adjust it to past vote and yes up slightly (+1) or unchanged at ~30% and No down 4-5 points to 46/47% which brings it into line with the gap closing trend of all the others. Encouraging as it has some of the highest No / lowest Yes as it's doorstep face to face. You see people are not keen to reveal their intention; for face to face only 50% of SNP voters say they plant to vote yes. This rises to 60% for MORI telephone and 80% for online (panelbase, Yougov etc). Similar for the other parties; highest support for indy among their voters appears for anonymous online polls.

Edited by scottish skier
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

If you felt the 2015 UK general election was going to result in a Conservative-led government, or another Conservative / Liberal Democrat coalition at Westminster, would you be.....

That's a super-loaded Q if i ever saw one!

It wouldn't even get past me whilst compiling a research study questionnaire! Wouldn't get into print! LOL!

Posted

If you felt the 2015 UK general election was going to result in a Conservative-led government, or another Conservative / Liberal Democrat coalition at Westminster, would you be.....That's a super-loaded Q if i ever saw one!It wouldn't even get past me whilst compiling a research study questionnaire! Wouldn't get into print! LOL!

Are you saying that the next UK government won't be Led by either the Tories or Labour? Or that Scotland won't be ruled from Westminster if it votes No in 2014? 

I'm really confused.

The question just describes the two possible outcomes for 2015 and what the prospect of either of these would do to people's referendum voting intentions. People will be voting on independence just 6 months before the GE and it is likely at that point the polls will be starting to show what the probable 2015 GE outcome will be.

It was first posed by the English newspaper The Times and got similar responses, although the prospect of a Labour UK government only gave rough parity on that occasion rather than a majority as per this time.

------

EDIT, the thing to remember is that Tory voters were a crucial component in bringing about the forthcoming referendum on Scottish independence.

Everyone that voted Tory in 2010 voted to encourage this to happen.

I mean after the last period of Tory rule, Scotland almost left. Labour held the union together with devolution (polls consistently showed a majority for independence and Labour were terrified of the SNP winning for Westminster and whereby ending the union). If New Labour were still in power I'm fairly confident the SNP would have done well in 2011 but not got a majority. The movement for more home rule would have continued, but more slowly.

Tory voters helped the SNP secure the 2011 majority. The Liberal democrats guaranteed it.

As I've said before, It is ironic that the traditionally most 'British' of parties, the party that has 'Unionist' in its name, is one of the major reasons for potential end of the union.

Everyone that voted Tory must have either known what they were doing or did not care enough about the union to look into what the effects might be. A simple cursory look into the subject and the issue of Scotland and its dislike of the Tories is right there amongst the major facts. Also, the SNP had recently won the 2007 election were in power as 2010 approached. There was lots of talk about a potential referendum even then. If people cared that much about the union, they might have had a quick read and thought 'Hmm, if I vote Tory and they win, and this leads to the SNP winning, and then Scotland leaves, well then I helped bring about the end of the union'.

If Dave does well and the Tories look like leading the next UK government, then he will also be helping to push Scotland to independence. If UKIP do well, that will be an even bigger push. However, I'm not sure the prospect of a Labour government will really be any better at preventing a Yes vote.

The Tories can't be in government and keep Scotland. Certainly not with the status Quo. Devo max might do it, but there's no sign of that as it would require an English devolved parliament and an end to the current union / development of a new federal system and all that entails. I'm quite confident both Dave and Ed would sacrifice 8.4% of the population to maintain the Westminster status quo.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

If you felt the 2015 UK general election was going to result in a Conservative-led government, or another Conservative / Liberal Democrat coalition at Westminster, would you be.....That's a super-loaded Q if i ever saw one!It wouldn't even get past me whilst compiling a research study questionnaire! Wouldn't get into print! LOL!

It's a very important question in the context of Scottish Politics, because a lot of people will go to the polling station next September pondering what the UK as a whole will vote for 6months hence. In 1997 anti Tory tactical voting wiped the Tories out in Scotland, since then at Westminster they've made a recovery to 1 of 59. I suppose it's better than 0 of 72 MPs!
    Posted

When it comes to Tory's and Thatcher, Scotland will never forget.

Yes, Scotland electorally is a very unforgiving place. Screw it over / betray it and that's you dumped for good.

The Lib Dems are screwed for the foreseeable too; their only chance would be under independence.

Polls indicate that the SNP are on similar levels for Westminster as they are for Holyrood meaning even Labour are in serious trouble. SNP could take 70% of Scottish MPs if Scotland did end up voting in the 2015 GE.

So even if Captain Darling briefly saved the union, he could lose his seat and we're back to the possibility of the SNP elected on a mandate to e.g. negotiate Devo Max with independence if the former is not forthcoming.

What's interesting, is while we have huge volatility in Y/N polls - due data would suggest in part because of a reticence about openly stating support for independence - voting SNP is now 'normal' hence people are happy to vote that way and say so. Thus the concept of a No vote, particularly a narrow one, destroying the SNP and returning Labour what it feels is its rightful place as rulers of Scotland for eternity is a complete pipe dream. And strangely, that's what they're banking on.

Darling will have been offered a safe seat in England and a Lordship for his role leading the Tory pro-union campaign. The rest might want to think whether it's best to jump ship and aim for a seat in the parliament of an independent Scotland lest they find their careers come to a sudden end next year.

EDIT. Obviously El Gordo's half hearted (witted?) attempt at a non-Tory backed pro-union campaign 'Untied with Labour' is him trying to make sure he keeps his Lordship which he should be due to take up post 2015.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

When it comes to Tory's and Thatcher, Scotland will never forget.

The best part of one in five of the population clearly have forgotten, or never noticed in the first place?! (based on the Tory % share of any elections or opinion polls).

I think Thatcher is fairly and squarely blamed for a lot of issues which Scotland has been left with, although there is far more to it than just her, the unions had a big part to play too. The Thatcher legacy will not diminish for decades. Even my parents who are fairly right wing, pro-union (or more accurately anti-Salmond), read the Telegraph etc., don't have anything positive to say about her :lol:

Posted

More Panelbase poll results. Party leaders.

ALEX SALMOND
    Very satisfied: 25%
    Slightly satisfied: 23%
    TOTAL SATISFIED: 48%
    Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied: 16%
    Slightly dissatisfied: 14%
    Very dissatisfied: 23%
    TOTAL DISSATISFIED: 37%
    POSITIVE RATING: +11

DAVID CAMERON
    Very satisfied: 5%
    Slightly satisfied: 16%
    TOTAL SATISFIED: 21%
    Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied: 13%
    Slightly dissatisfied: 18%
    Very dissatisfied: 48%
    TOTAL DISSATISFIED: 66%
    NEGATIVE RATING: -45

ED MILIBAND
    Very satisfied: 1%
    Slightly satisfied: 12%
    TOTAL SATISFIED: 13%
    Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied: 28%
    Slightly dissatisfied: 20%
    Very dissatisfied: 39%
    TOTAL DISSATISFIED: 59%
    NEGATIVE RATING: -46

NICK CLEGG
    Slightly satisfied: 12%
    TOTAL SATISFIED: 13%
    Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied: 21%
    Slightly dissatisfied: 18%
    Very dissatisfied: 48%
    TOTAL DISSATISFIED: 66%
    NEGATIVE RATING: -53

Hmm. Ed's net rating is worse that Dave's. Ties in with the prospect of a Labour government in 2015 not greatly aiding the pro-union campaign.

Posted

The best part of one in five of the population clearly have forgotten, or never noticed in the first place?! (based on the Tory % share of any elections or opinion polls).

I think Thatcher is fairly and squarely blamed for a lot of issues which Scotland has been left with, although there is far more to it than just her, the unions had a big part to play too. The Thatcher legacy will not diminish for decades. Even my parents who are fairly right wing, pro-union (or more accurately anti-Salmond), read the Telegraph etc., don't have anything positive to say about her Posted Image

She kicked off her rule of Scotland with a huge lie. Promised an enhanced devolution settlement compared to the one put forward in the overruled devolution referendum in 1979. Promptly dumped it as soon as she entered No. 10.

So, she effectively stuck two fingers up at Scotland from day 1.

I recall on one of her few visits (was Stirling or Perth) and she had to sneak in the back door of the venue due to a protesting crowd booing. On hearing half the crowd cheering, she asked why the back door as half were cheering?  'They're cheering the half that are booing' was the response.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

More Panelbase poll results. Party leaders.

ALEX SALMOND

Very satisfied: 25%

Slightly satisfied: 23%

DAVID CAMERON

Very satisfied: 5%

ED MILIBAND

NICK CLEGG

This will be reported in the mainstream media as follows:

"More than half of voters are not fully satisfied with Alex Salmond" and "Cameron five times more popular than either Miliband or Clegg"

• Like 2
    Posted

"More than half of voters are not fully satisfied with Alex Salmond" and "Cameron five times more popular than either Miliband or Clegg"

The 'attack/smear Salmond' tactic is clearly a very effective one.

They'll need to stop using 'fat' though soon as the effects of his recent diet are already becoming apparent.

I'm just waiting for:

Salmond accused of damaging Scottish pie industry

to hit the headlines.

Posted

You weren't far off.

Poll: how Alex Salmond splits voter opinion

http://archive.is/qbwiW

-----

Another interesting little morsel from that poll.

SCOTTISH LABOUR VOTERS “VERY†OR “SLIGHTLY†SATISFIED with
    Alex Salmond: 29%
    Ed Miliband: 28%

LOL.
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

New series by Rough Justice films. Makers of 'A parting Hymn' (in my sig) and

which the pro-union campaign tried to get taken off the net.

This is the Fear Factor Part 1.

Will be released an episode at a time.

Posted

Oops.

Freudian slip or maybe the man ken's the game's bogie? Posted Image

Where was the Freudian slip? I thought he just botched up a Shakespeare quote.

I don't normally mind Cameron, but that American politics-inspired speech enraged me and I thought it was pretty arrogant to somehow claim that the UK is more patriotic (essentially what he was saying) than any other. And a greater resilience? A prouder history? Gulp...

Posted

Where was the Freudian slip? I thought he just botched up a Shakespeare quote.

Oh you are correct of course (my post was one done in jest as I'm not known for making a fuss over Britain/England conflation as it's only to be expected due to force of numbers). It's a bit like Dave sitting on the fence officially when it comes to the footie for political correctness; ridiculous.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/aug/12/england-scotland-wembley-david-cameron

It's like 'I'm not Scottish, I'm North British' Gordon.

Dave is proudly English yet has to tip-toe around the subject. Gordon was Scottish yet felt he couldn't be proud of that. Why? If the UK was a fair, happy, equal union of nations then there'd be no need for such feline-footing. 

I dislike Dave C's politics. However, he does seem to have something of an appreciation of Scotland, probably due to his family history.

From 2006:

http://www.conservatives.com/News/Speeches/2006/09/Cameron_I_will_never_take_Scotland_for_granted.aspx

It’s a question of attitudes.

And, in particular, the ignorance of English people about Scots and Scotland.

Why should this matter?

After all, we’ve all got broad shoulders.

Well, it matters because the Union is supposed to be a relationship of equals.

Not in terms of size, obviously.

But certainly in terms of that most precious of commodities, respect.

For most Scots - like people everywhere - their nationality is only one part of a broader identity.

They’re fathers and mothers, doctors and teachers, bowlers and golfers, shoppers and students.

But, perfectly reasonably, they do expect their distinct Scottishness to be both recognised and respected.

Let’s be honest.

In the British context, they don’t always receive that respect.

All too often Scots switch on their televisions to be greeted with ignorant and inaccurate stereotypes.

Whether it’s Russ Abbott-style lampooning or the inevitable aggressive Glaswegian drunk in TV programmes, the cumulative effect can be depressing.

Even as an Englishman, I find it a bit embarrassing.

Another aspect of English cultural insensitivity that rears its head in the media is the vexed question of sporting identity.

Why is that Scottish sportsmen and women who win are habitually claimed by English media commentators as ‘British’ only to be promptly redesignated as ‘Scottish’ the moment they lose?

One other aspect of the interface between the Scots and the English causes offence.

And here there’s absolutely no excuse.

Scottish banknotes are every bit as good as those issued by the Bank of England.

That’s something everyone working in shops or other parts of the service economy anywhere in the UK should know.

Yet Scots often have to endure the indignity of having their money examined by suspicious staff south of the border as if it’s come straight out of a Monopoly box.

Sometimes Scottish fivers and tenners are simply refused.

Of course, it’s not the end of the world but it’s hard to think of a clearer demonstration of disrespect.

It seems to say to Scots - “Do things our way - or take a hike.â€

Instead of deriding Scots as chippy or difficult, isn’t it time that English people of good will educated themselves?

Part of the problem is that some English commentators don’t seem to know what to think of Scotland - when they can be bothered to think at all.

They appear seriously confused.

One moment they deride Scots as hopeless drunks and beggars.

The next they complain that England is run by something called the Scottish Raj, a race of superhumans led by John Reid and Kirsty Wark.

And he ken's the games up; the Tories can't keep Scotland and win so he's being fairly reasonable. Got the now largely irrelevant Scotland Bill (Calman Commission) done and out of the way quick smart. Signed the Edinburgh Agreement with little fuss. Also being doing his best to push Scots towards independence along with George with their occasional strategic interventions. He's pragmatic; he knows the Tories can't continue to be in charge at Westminster and keep Scotland as the polls show. 

It should not be long now before we get the white paper on what's proposed for initial independence and the joint Scotland-UK government statement on the outcome of negotiations for the aftermath of a Yes (and No vote). Then the campaigns proper will begin with people clear what their vote will mean (on EU, NATO, currency etc).

-------

Edit. Just noticed you are in Grenoble atm.

Great place. Been to the ILL for neutron diffraction research work in the past. Love the French Alps.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    From 2006:

http://www.conservatives.com/News/Speeches/2006/09/Cameron_I_will_never_take_Scotland_for_granted.aspx

All too often Scots switch on their televisions to be greeted with ignorant and inaccurate stereotypes.

Whether it’s Russ Abbott-style lampooning or the inevitable aggressive Glaswegian drunk in TV programmes, the cumulative effect can be depressing.

Even as an Englishman, I find it a bit embarrassing.

Scottish banknotes are every bit as good as those issued by the Bank of England.

That’s something everyone working in shops or other parts of the service economy anywhere in the UK should know.

Yet Scots often have to endure the indignity of having their money examined by suspicious staff south of the border as if it’s come straight out of a Monopoly box.

Sometimes Scottish fivers and tenners are simply refused.

Of course, it’s not the end of the world but it’s hard to think of a clearer demonstration of disrespect.

It seems to say to Scots - “Do things our way - or take a hike.â€

That's utter rubbish though.

Rab C Nesbit was created by a Scotsman.  So too was Taggart.   And Shameless is about degenerate Englishmen, Doc Martin has just as many quirky characters as Hamish MacBeath, whilst Midsommer Murders with its cast of strange, eccentric, stereotypes is most definitely set in England ....

And the reason Scottish notes are looked at more carefully and sometimes refused is because the vendor has little or no experience of them and is warely of potential forgeries. N Irish notes are treated the same.  And so too are Bank of England £50 notes. The fact that they are Scottish it not the issue.

There are times when the chip on some Scotsmen's shoulder gets a little wearisome for the rest of us!

Posted

That's utter rubbish though.

Rab C Nesbit was created by a Scotsman.  So too was Taggart.   And Shameless is about degenerate Englishmen, Doc Martin has just as many quirky characters as Hamish MacBeath, whilst Midsommer Murders with its cast of strange, eccentric, stereotypes is most definitely set in England ....

And the reason Scottish notes are looked at more carefully and sometimes refused is because the vendor has little or no experience of them and is warely of potential forgeries. N Irish notes are treated the same.  And so too are Bank of England £50 notes. The fact that they are Scottish it not the issue.

There are times when the chip on some Scotsmen's shoulder gets a little wearisome for the rest of us!

Erm, the words are David Cameron's. How does a proud Englishman have some sort of Scottish chip on his shoulder?

With respect to Rab C Nesbit etc... Self deprecating humour is fine.

Note Bank of England notes are fairly rare in Scotland; most bank machines (bar those at airports sometimes) issue Scots notes. I've never had a shop closely inspect the occasional BoE note I have in my wallet in case of forgery (I've no personal experience the other way around as never have reason to visit England even though I travel a fair bit with work).

Also note it is perfectly ok for people in England and Wales to refuse Scottish notes; the UK government has never moved to make them legal tender. This applies in Scotland too although of course people never turn them down!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling#Scotland_and_Northern_Ireland

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, if some Scots do have a chip on their shoulder about such things, they should quit complaining and just vote Yes next September. That will solve any problems in a jiffy.

----------

Ok, back to current developments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24006702

Falkirk row: Unite union vindicated, says Len McCluskey

So no wrongdoing by unite at all is the verdict.

The Falkirk row has done much to highlight the complete non-existence of a 'Scottish' Labour party. Lamont - supposedly the leader of this non-existent party (there's not one registered in Scotland) - vanished for the entire episode with London calling the shots throughout.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    Note Bank of England notes are fairly rare in Scotland; most bank machines (bar those at airports sometimes) issue Scots notes. I've never had a shop closely inspect the occasional BoE note I have in my wallet in case of forgery (I've no personal experience the other way around as never have reason to visit England even though I travel a fair bit with work).

Also note it is perfectly ok for people in England and Wales to refuse Scottish notes; the UK government has never moved to make them legal tender. This applies in Scotland too although of course people never turn them down!

BoE notes are much, much more common in Scotland than Scottish notes are in England. And I bet if you went into a rural Fife newsagent with an Irish note they'd look at it just the same as the owner of a village shop in Gloucestershire might look at a Scottish one.And I don't care whether Cameron, the Duke of Buccleuch or Rabbie Burns said it, most of the stuff that you quoted is complete garbage and simply reinforces the sad and incorrect notion that some Scots have that they are treated inferior to other Britons.But, 'nuff said.  It's OT anyway. Just something which rather annoys me.

Posted

BoE notes are much, much more common in Scotland than Scottish notes are in England.

And I bet if you went into a rural Fife newsagent with an Irish note they'd look at it just the same as the owner of a village shop in Gloucestershire might look at a Scottish one.

And I don't care whether Cameron, the Duke of Buccleuch or Rabbie Burns said it, most of the stuff that you quoted is complete garbage and simply reinforces the sad and incorrect notion that some Scots have that they are treated inferior to other Britons.

But, 'nuff said.  It's OT anyway. Just something which rather annoys me.

I'd agree that BoE notes are considerably more common in Scotland than Scottish notes are in England. However, BoE notes are still pretty uncommon. I'd not had one in my wallet for about 3 months now. And why's it called the Bank of England? Why not the 'Bank of the UK' as that's what it is? Do that and you could have 'Bank of UK £ sterling issued in England, Scotland, N. Ireland (even Wales?) with tailored versions as appropriate, all being legal tender. Exactly like the Euro. Then that would make the Scots currency clearly equal to English currency and nobody would have a reason to decide to have a chip on their shoulder. By not doing that you can give people a reason to feel their country is not an equal partner.

The same applies for Westminster too; if the other 3 home nations were considered equals in the union, we'd have a senate where each home nation had one vote and that could overrule the lower house (proportional representation by population), just like other federal states. You could set that up overnight for UK-wide legislation. Would ensure England didn't decide welfare for Scotland etc; all home nations would agree. A partnership of equals. Much like the EU where every country, irrespective of size, has one seat on the council of Europe.

If you have complaints about what Cameron said, you'd need to take it up with him. He was speaking about how he felt his countrymen saw Scotland and noted that there was a lot of ignorance. I'd say the latter was largely true. That isn't a criticism necessarily though. Why should people in England have to know lots about Scotland. They don't live there, there's no reason.

In Scotland, things are a bit different. We get to watch English TV and news. All the latest developments in detail. If I go to any newsagent, I have a choice of English newspapers in addition to Scottish ones. The piles may be very small, but they're still on offer.

In contrast, if you live in England, Scottish newspapers are few and far between and the best you'll get is a little story here and there from the 'Scottish correspondent' who often lives in London and is just regurgitating with their own spin something they've got from Scottish newspapers. Usually, these are completely off the mark, particularly when it comes to politics.

In that sense I'm not remotely surprised that Scots know more about England than vice versa. However, Scots are not experts either; they don't live in England. I've found the UK politics thread very interesting as I'm learning why people vote they way they do in England. This thread was aimed to provide the same while at the same time not bothering those in the rUK who aren't interested in Scottish politics. I hope to some extent that purpose has been served.

You have learned that Lizzie has an official palace here; something you didn't know before! That's something at least. Posted Image

Of course none of this would matter if Britain was all one country and everyone was British. However, this just isn't the case. Since the beginning of the union Scotland has continued to exist as Scotland, giving rise to what you see below. When you ask people their national identity and force them to pick where their loyalties lie, the below is what you get. Within variance, ~75% Scots vs ~17% British; the remainder being Irish, EU and overseas. In the latter two cases, many are French-Scots, Pakistani-Scots etc, meaning the 'Scottish' figure is even higher in a sense.

Graph from the SSAS.

http://www.scotcen.org.uk/study/scottish-social-attitudes-2012

Interestingly, people are going to have to pick their flag next year. In a recent poll, only 18% said they'd join the union today. I'd hazard a guess that's mainly the 17% above.

-------

EDIT. I understand you are a big fan of 'British unity'. I'm not remotely against that concept at all. A mini-EU type union is something I'd give due consideration (I want Scotland to have it's own voice in the EU, NATO, UN but a confederation would allow this). A prerequisite for unity however is equality; something Westminster doesn't seem remotely interested in going for. Centralisation of power is what it loves. If the union does come to an end, the blame lies entirely with Westminster.

It has resisted Scottish home rule in the face of increasing demands for it for over 70 years. It has given England a bum deal making the English rightly somewhat miffed at why the other home nations have their own parliaments and they don't, whereby breeding resentment. It stopped the one thing that could have definitely defeated independence; Devo Max / Federalism when a second question on the referendum ballot was refused. It will have forced many Scots into voting for independence when they'd have been happy enough with a looser, more equal union. If the union ends, it will be because Scotland was forced out by Westminster.

post-9421-0-94065500-1378656421_thumb.pn

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    Posted Image

A wee summary of things from our impartial state broadcaster. Quick search on google...

Scottish independence: Chancellor Osborne makes post-Yes tax rise warning

Scottish independence: Document warns about making pro-Yes concessions

Scottish independence: Academic warns of legal wrangle over North Sea oil

Scottish independence: UK savings warning for Scots

Scottish independence: Warning over 'weakened military'

Scottish independence: Pension shortfall warning

Scottish independence: Expert Prof John Paterson in warning over North Sea oil

Scottish independence: 'Border checks' warning from home secretary

Scottish independence: 'Havoc' warning from pensions firm

Scottish independence: Luxembourg warns against 'going separate ways'

Scottish independence: IFS study warns of long-term fiscal challenges

Scottish independence: Michael Moore issues warning over vote question

Scottish independence: Energy firm warning on referendum

Scottish independence: Barroso warning on EU membership - BBC

Scottish independence: Think tanks warns against monetary union

Scottish independence: Ex-SNP grandees issue EU warning

Scottish independence: Gordon Brown makes fiscal autonomy warning

Scottish independence: UK defence secrets 'could hit jobs'

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22896870‎

Empey fears Scottish independence could reignite NI Troubles

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16749576

Home Secretary Theresa May in Scots immigration warning

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17498681‎

Scottish independence: Document warns about making pro-Yes concessions

Scottish independence: Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland warning

ad infinitum...

You've been warned.

Some of the stories are actually about really positive news.

Anyway, here's Pravda's take on things recently.

'Project Fear': UK launches PR offensive against Scottish independence

Try an 'SNP accused' search

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=news%3A+SNP+accused&safe=off

Labour Lord Foulkes summed things up perfectly.

Lord George Foulkes : “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.â€

Interviewer Colin Mackay: â€Is that a bad thing?â€

Lord George Foulkes: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.â€

Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Did you see this in the Daily Fail? Wasn't given much prominence in the print version - leastways, not the English edition. No idea which survey they are referring to nor why it gets mention now .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415753/Only-Scots-wants-independent-says-poll-latest-blow-Salmonds-referendum-campaign.html

(and no, I'm not suggesting I agree with the conclusions expressed, just posting this up for reference purposes as an example of the fairly mediocre news coverage that we get on the Independence issue down in the south, and what people down here are being told and likely therefore believe, whether it is true or not)

Edited by Essan
    Posted

Did you see this in the Daily Fail? Wasn't given much prominence in the print version - leastways, not the English edition. No idea which survey they are referring to nor why it gets mention now .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415753/Only-Scots-wants-independent-says-poll-latest-blow-Salmonds-referendum-campaign.html

(and no, I'm not suggesting I agree with the conclusions expressed, just posting this up for reference purposes as an example of the fairly mediocre news coverage that we get on the Independence issue down in the south, and what people down here are being told and likely therefore believe, whether it is true or not)

Yes. It's up to 7 months old and the BBC's prof C has already given it the general thumbs down.

Has had little coverage in Scotland. After all, it's a Tory peer's poll and he's already been in bother for twisting polls to show Scotland loves trident.

He had No on 65% some point 4-7 months ago. However, one of the other poll packages (the June VI one) he released had an indy question too.

It showed the No down to 44% in just a few months compared to his 65%. Needless to say Ashcroft didn't mention this bit...

Was even 43Y/47N in the CTV 10. 

Also past Westminster VI weighted like Yougov, hence should be ignored as that yields a flawed weighted base (that was not the last election in Scotland so you shouldn't weight to it but the 2011 SGE, otherwise, boosts the Labour respondent up-weighting and SNP down-weighting due to incorrect recall, deliberate or accidental). So probably a little closer to panelbase (i.e. approaching parity). Either way, shows the same re-convergence trends.

The most recent is 44Y/43N (28 Aug) which has livened things up if anything. It's 2011 recall weighted so a far more accurate demographic. A little overly Yes, but fits with trends.

What is common to all polls is a core ~30% N (out of full weighted base intending to vote), but with the same for Yes. The different pollsters are getting wildy different answers from those more in the middle depending on how they ask, what they ask, and what they do with the data afterwards to weight. They've no experience of how to predict the outcome of an independence referendum, and in particular, a Scottish one. Turnout is a major unpredictable factor; could be up to 80% (instead of the 65% maxes we've seen since New Labour ended democracy in 1997).

MORI and TNS - who show good results for no in headlines, both stated 'it's wide open'. However, it's the Yes that needs to convince the soft no and undecideds both to vote and vote Yes. They have a year to do it. Signs are they're making headway after last year's No peak.

Fascinating stuff anyway for a poll geek like myself.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

BoE notes are much, much more common in Scotland than Scottish notes are in England. And I bet if you went into a rural Fife newsagent with an Irish note they'd look at it just the same as the owner of a village shop in Gloucestershire might look at a Scottish one.And I don't care whether Cameron, the Duke of Buccleuch or Rabbie Burns said it, most of the stuff that you quoted is complete garbage and simply reinforces the sad and incorrect notion that some Scots have that they are treated inferior to other Britons.But, 'nuff said.  It's OT anyway. Just something which rather annoys me.

I think I'm well placed to comment on this as someone who crosses the border on a very regular basis (the last time I was in England and used cash was yesterday). I have never had a Scottish note even blinked at in the north of England. No comment, no looking at it twice, nothing whatsoever. I was in London a couple of months ago and had a Scottish ten pound note refused in a newsagents but then taken without question later in the day at another newsagents. I used to go over to Northern Ireland a lot about fifteen years ago and it was a nightmare to be left with a Northern Irish banknote. Very few places even in the west of Scotland would take them and even my Clydesdale Bank branch took a long debate between the staff to decide to change a £20 for me which I couldn't use anywhere. I think it all comes down to what people are used to, and how much risk shop owners (for example) see in taking what might be a dodgy note.

I can't say this is off topic, as currency will be very important if there's a yes vote next year :)

Posted

Posted Image

A wee summary of things from our impartial state broadcaster. Quick search on google...

I can understand this from the BBC's point of view though, perhaps understand is too strong a word :lol:  It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas if they did anything other than massively oppose independence. They'll lose £240m+ in income every year if Scotland votes for independence, given the current cost cutting can they survive losing almost 10% of their income in one go? I appreciate all the arguments that they should be impartial, but there must be a wee bit of panic within the organisation.