Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

What is needed, is to stop the continued proportionally massive investment into the South East and London.

This is why Independence will be so good for Scotland, with increased revenue staying in Scotland, allowing the upgrade of Scotland's creaking infrastructure. It is only the SNP which have delivered the infrastructure upgrades which should have been done 20/30 years ago.

The fact that we are just now starting to complete the m 8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh is a sad reflection on previous Westminster and Holyrood Labour governments.

Personally, I don't see any need to bring HS2/3 to Scotland, a waste of money if we get independence, we wont all be running off to London looking for jobs anymore. I would like to see Holyrood commiting to building a second or indeed third runway at Edinburgh Airport, I truelly believe big investment could see Edinburgh take some cross Atlantic slots from Heathrow.

I would like to see the completion of the electric railway from Edinburgh to Aberdeen on the railways, with a new high speed line between Edinburgh and Glasgow via Edinburgh Airport.

On the roads, as well the planned mate completion, the dualling of the A9 to Inverness, as a longer term investment I would like to see the Motorway extension from the M9 at Stirling to Aberdeen via Dundee.

I can but dream...

Edited by mountain shadow
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

On the roads, as well the planned mate completion, the dualling of the A9 to Inverness, as a longer term investment I would like to see the Motorway extension from the M9 at Stirling to Aberdeen via Dundee.

I can but dream...

The latter wouldn't be too hard to do given it is already dual carriageway (sort of - 2 lanes each way anyway!). Even if not upgraded to M status, at least upgrading junctions to proper slip roads etc so it's essentially a motorway / top grade A road such as the A720 Edinburgh bypass / A1 down to Dunbar.

A fair bit has been done with respect to the latter on the Perth to Dundee section, removing some of the really dodgy junctions. Dundee would need a bypass I suppose too as the link to Aberdeen round the back still goes through residential areas.

Totally agree on the SNP getting things built. Developments on the borders railway are going at some pace. Diversion at Sheriffhall is nearly complete and soon they'll be cutting through the bypass for the new line which you can now see heading towards Dalkeith (original cutting all stripped back and ready for trackbed). Being done at some speed and very efficiently with no traffic problems.

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/our-journey/progress.aspx

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

When it comes to Scottish transport, let's avoid any mention of a certain tramway. :D

Edited by Harve
    Posted

When it comes to Scottish transport, let's avoid any mention of a certain tramway. Posted Image

Yes, the Labour-Lib white elephant.

Which, costs, legacy and disruption aside, is actually coming along quite nicely. 

I think it'll be good in the end, particularly the airport link (was against it originally, but supported completion rather than abandoning). 

Looks cool anyway.

Posted

Cyber attacks on Yes apparently much bigger than initially thought.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/scotland/article1304931.ece

Cyber attack lasted months

EMAIL accounts linked to the Yes Scotland campaign have been hacked for several months, sources close to an investigation into unauthorised access believe.

Thousands of emails are thought to have been vulnerable during the cyber attack which continued until late on Wednesday evening, after the campaign team thought their system was again secure.

It has also emerged that the Yes campaign, which has been working with digital forensic police, is conducting a full security sweep of its Glasgow headquarters which is expected to look for electronic listening devices.

Informed sources say the evidence uncovered since police and BT were called in to investigate the possibility of email hacking suggests illegal activity on a large scale may have occurred.

Times story reported by Newsnet:

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7915-yes-scotland-hacking-large-scale-and-may-have-been-going-on-for-months

Yes Scotland hacking 'large scale' and may have been going on for months

Email accounts belonging to the pro-independence campaign group Yes Scotland appear to have been exposed to a large scale attack which has been going on for several months, it has emerged.

According to the Sunday Times, sources close to the investigation into the unauthorised access have uncovered evidence that the illegal activity is far worse than initially thought with thousands of emails being vulnerable.

As Blair Jenkins put it 'An attack on democracy'.

Wouldn't be surprised if MI5 / GCHQ behind it. They have form in this area; the SNP having considerable trouble with them over the years, e.g.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/files-prove-that-mi5-spied-on-snp-1-1423283

Files prove that MI5 spied on SNP

THE SNP was spied on by British secret service agents, previously classified Government files seen by Scotland on Sunday have finally proved.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Had this been a cyber attack on Bitter Together it would be BBC headline news...

Oh yes, Scottish MSM rather silent about it with squirrels left right and centre.

But then it's horrifically damaging to the No campaign. 

If it did lead back to London, likely fatally damaging.

Posted
    Just for the record.

Scottish MP’s who voted in favour of war:

David Mundell (Tory Dumfries)

Alan Reid (LD Argyll & Bute)
    Alistair Carmichael (LD Orkney & Shetland)
    Danny Alexander (LD Inverness), 
    Jo Swinson (LD E Dunbartonshire)
    Malcolm Bruce (LD Gordon)
    Ming Campbell (LD NE Fife)
    Michael Moore (LD Berwick etc)
    Robert Smith (LD W Aberdeenshire & Kincardine)

Scottish MP’s who didn't care whether we went to war illegally presumably:

Charles Kennedy (LD Ross, Skye, Lochaber)
    John Thurso (LD, Caithness, Sutherland, & E Ross)

Gordon Brown (Lab Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath)
    Michael Connarty (Lab Linlithgow & E Falkirk)
    Ian Davidson (Lab Glasgow SW) 

= 14/59

So anti-war = 76%

SNP obviously voted against (war with no UN backing / decent mandate/ evidence).
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

What exactly is Gordon Brown up to these days?. i believe he has the worst attendence record in the House of Commons and is picking up a pretty packet without doing much.

He hasn't attened PMQ once since the election and I think only spoke in debate 2/3 times since the election.

Posted

Just to liven things up.

A sign of polls heading back to parity? As noted previously, historically Y and N have been quite similar at about 4 in 10 going back to 1998 (as far as my data goes).

The yes went ahead of the No in 2011 after the SNP win, then dropped back again over 2012 with the No taking the lead. Over 2013, indications were Yes was gaining again with No slipping.

Then we have this:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/game-on-independence-poll-puts-yes-campaign-in-front-1.125982

Yes 44%

No 43%

DK 13%

So I might yet be correct in saying that the two may likely converge again by the end of the year.

Only time will tell.

Posted

That poll seems to back up my personal feeling that it's close to parity. However a key aspect to that is that I'm certainly aware of a few 'Nos' that have moved to 'unsure' to considering voting yes. I don't know anyone who's gone in the opposite direction. The no vote is certainly softer.

• Like 1
    Posted
    More details:

There will be a referendum on an independent Scotland on 18th of September 2014. How do you intend to vote in response to the question: Should Scotland be an independent country? (Change from July 2013 Panelbase/Sunday Times poll in brackets):
    Yes: 44% (+7)
    No: 43% (-3)
    Don’t Know: 13% (-4)

Who do you trust to take the best decisions for Scotland: the Scottish Government or the Westminster Government?

The Scottish Government: 60%
    The Westminster Government: 16%
    Neither: 19%
    Don’t Know: 5%

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: ‘Scotland could be a successful independent country’?
    Yes, I agree: 52%
    No, I disagree: 37%
    Don’t Know: 11%

That, within error, will be your core ~1/3 within error No as IPSOS MORI noted recently.

1/3 Indy

1/3 Devo Max

(=~7/10 indy+devo max)

1/3 Status quo

All depends on the devo maxers. Although we know from the WoS scotland poll that 67% don't believe there will be more powers following a No with only ~10% thinking there will be.

It also reveals that among women aged 35-54, Yes leads No by 45 per cent to 41 per cent.

That's encouraging. Been women getting cold feet that's been helping No take the lead in 2012-early 2013.

Herald, Scotsman and STV all now reporting.

---------

EDIT.

We'll have another detailed poll soon. Crowd funding for WoS got over double the target and questions are being formulated. This time they're being run by the BBCs poll expert Prof C I understand before the poll is done.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

It [uK Treasury] argues that Scottish independence would create “significant headwinds†to economic growth and could see exports to the remainder of the UK drop by 80 per cent.

Seriously, what? Are they going to blockade the border and/or apply massive traffis to Scottish products when rUK leaves the EU? Not for the first time it appears the UK government's argument is stay in the Union or we'll shaft you!
    Posted

Im confused SS.YouGov poll in The Sunday Post...29% Yes59% NoPoll carried out for Devo Plus.???

Yougov haven't updated their weighting methods since 2007 when the SNP won. They weight by past UKGE result. Puts them well off (outlier of outliers). They treat Scotland like it's England essentially when Scotland has two parliaments. Results in SNP respondent downweighting. In the latest, SNP were downweighted 20% and labour up-weighted 20%. As they are the two largest parties, this massively changes the result. CEO has previously admitted they have problems here.

If you (quickly, so some error here) re-weight by SGE results (which all the others do if they past vote weight, i.e. have the demographic match the voters of 2011), for the one you mention (few weeks ago sampling), you get:

N = 47%

Y = 37%

Which brings them into line with panelbase, Angus Reid, ICM etc within variance on a 'referendum tomorrow' question.

Weighting to Holyrood (PR) eliminates the tactical factor you see in Scotland due to FPTP. Basically Libs and SNP voting Labour to stop the Tories.

Oh, and the Yougov question is stupid and leading:

If there was a referendum tomorrow on Scotland leaving the 
    United Kingdom and becoming an Independent Country and 
    this was the question, how would you vote? Should Scotland 
    be an independent country?

Referendum is not tomorrow (people answer the question generally). Scotland is not leaving the UK either. The UK will continue to exist as it did for 100 years before the union of the parliaments. The leaving is also pejorative, i.e. had negative connotations. Like Scotland will head off into the Atlantic or something.

Compare this to Panelbase where the correct question was asked. Not leading in any way.

There will be a referendum on an independent Scotland on the 18th of September 2014. 

How do you intend to vote in response to the question: Should Scotland be an independent country?

If you want to ask, ask correctly!

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Some further details (full tables out) from Panelbase poll.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: "Scotland could be a successful, independent country"

Tories = 84% No, 8% Yes

Libs = 61% No, 27% Yes

Labour = 51% No, 34% Yes

SNP = 10% No, 83% Yes

OMG for the Tories. So much for being the party of 'strivers'. No wonder hardly anyone votes for them; I mean talk about a serious lack of ambition. Who on earth would vote for a party who's voters/members are happy to say 'My country is crap and useless'.

Supporters of independence by 2011 vote in order of decreasing support:

SNP = 77% Y, 10% N, 12% DK

Labour = 24% Y, 61% N, 14% DK

Liberal = 5% Y, 77% N, 17% DK

Tories = 6% Y, 87% N, 7% DK

Which is basically identical within variance to what yougov get. They just then weight incorrectly.

Clearly, independence is not just for the SNP, but a quarter (and growing) of Labour voters back it. Most of the Libs who support it now vote SNP already. 6% of Tories have ambition, possibly 13%.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Hmm, weirdly, in this question:

Q2. Who do you trust to take the 
    best decisions for Scotland: the 
    Scottish Government or the 
    Westminster Government?

Tory voters

24% Scottish Government (compared to 6% for Indy).

44% UK government

So Tories don't like Westminster that much and 1/4 of them think the Scottish Parliament is best placed to make decisions?

What's going on? Why do quite a lot lack the courage of their convictions?

-------------

Check out my male age group (just in that now!) for indy (35-54 yrs):

56% Y

34% N

10% DK

Women

45% Y

41% N

14% DK

Old enough to remember the rape of Scotland by thatcher. To young to remember the pan-UK 'British' society created by the long dead post-war consensus.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Is anyone else going to the rally in a couple of weeks?

http://independencerally.com/main/

I've managed to make sure I've got that Saturday off work :good:

Posted

Is anyone else going to the rally in a couple of weeks?

http://independencerally.com/main/

I've managed to make sure I've got that Saturday off work Posted Image

I'm planning on going with the family (first time I'v ever been on a 'political' march).

Look out for a French tricolour / saltire combo couple with combined wee Mini Miss SS in tow (face paint for appropriate flags on each cheek ordered).

Should be a great day out. 

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

I'm planning on going with the family (first time I'v ever been on a 'political' march).

Look out for a French tricolour / saltire combo couple with combined wee Mini Miss SS in tow (face paint for appropriate flags on each cheek ordered).

Im going with YES Moray and its also my first time on a march. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Don't have a heart attack if someone jumps out of the crowd and says hello, I'll keep my eyes peeled!! It's my first march too, I'm excited to feel part of something bigger. I don't think MrsCatch will come, she's not interested in politics but the biggest issue is that she's working that day :(

Im going with YES Moray and its also my first time on a march. 

Lots of people popping their cherry then? :good:

• Like 2
    Posted

My brother is heading down with the Dundee posse as well, should be a big turnout, although I have a feeling it will be weather dependent.

If the numbers are large, you guarantee little reporting in the press, if the number are small, expect full page spreads.

Incidentally, are the BBC/Press not breaking some kind of law by their constant miss reporting/non balanced reporting?