Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Distance from Whitehall is a good point. I have trouble convincing my family down south of the merits of Scottish independence and the motivations behind it, whether that be the disadvantages of Union or the advantages of independence. Anything I say tends to fall on deaf ears for the most part, and having thought about it I wondered whether unless you've experienced the Union from a Scotland perspective, or indeed from somewhere in England similarly distant from the seat of political and cultural power, you have less chance of understanding how frustrating, divisive and obvious the imbalance in the Union is.

I spent more than twenty years' in Inverness, joined the SNP, and all the rest...But, you're quite right: many folks down here (no doubt fuelled by the Daily Mail) imagine a Scotland consisting hordes of anti-English whingers...But then, 'nationalism' down here broadly translates as not much more than anti-this, that or the other...Also, transferring one's own'national' dislikes, prejudices and amorphous gut-feelings onto other nations, seems to quite a popular diversion, just now...

Why are we English only happy when we're looking outside for scapegoats?

• Like 1
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottish skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

I spent more than twenty years' in Inverness, joined the SNP, and all the rest...But, you're quite right: many folks down here (no doubt fuelled by the Daily Mail) imagine a Scotland consisting hordes of anti-English whingers...But then, 'nationalism' down here broadly translates as not much more than anti-this, that or the other...Also, transferring one's own'national' dislikes, prejudices and amorphous gut-feelings onto other nations, seems to quite a popular diversion, just now...

Why are we English only happy when we're looking outside for scapegoats?

I THINK YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.THE DAILY MAIL AND THE TELEGRAPH PEDDLE THE MISINFORMATION ON A DAILY BASIS.READ ALAN COCHRANE A SCOT WHO WRITES FOR THE TORYGRAPH.THE GUY CAN'T HIDE HIS BILE FOR SALMOND AND FOR HIS HOME NATION.SO THE SCOTS DOWN IN LONDON ARE JUST AS GUILTY AS ANY ENGLISH JOURNALIST.

• Like 1

I'd agree that much of what is printed in English papers (the audience is ~90% in England based on sales so they're not really UK newspapers - hence the small, separate sections for Scotland) about Scotland is so far of the mark it is insane sometimes. The only one which is fairly credible some of the time is the Times; that and say Kevin McKenna in the Guardian.

If people from outside Scotland want reasonable Scottish news about what exactly is happening in Scottish politics, they should read Scottish newspapers. Most have a pro-union bias, although this is dwindling somewhat as it is causing sales to plummet (Scotsman being the obvious case). The Herald is almost getting half decent in being balanced (Sunday Herald championing this) although Magnus Gardham is desperately trying to stop this.

There are also a growing number of online pro-independence blogs/news sites, many of which now rival or exceed traditional newspapers in terms of readership (three of the big ones in my sig). Nothing equivalent online for pro-union, at least in terms of readership.

Edited by scottish skier

Scotland as i said before a large % of its inhabitants are of English descent...they share a common language for the vast majority..they fought many wars against each other..even shared royal dynasties..shared religion in terms of anglican Protestantism..i mean explain how exactly Scotland and the Scots are more like the French than the English?

Could you prove that please c.m??? How do you know a large % of scottish people are of english descent? How far back can you go? Does it count a large percentage of english people are of danish , german , french etc descent and what happens then ? Does this then mean a solid union with europe??? Unlike england , there was no anglo saxons  in scotland , and the few northumbrian angles in antiquity were slaughtered and driven out or conquered by the picts , britons , danes and later scots. Some of the anglo danes of northumbria came under scottish rule after the 10th century.

We share a common language because for the past few centuries there has been a co ordinated effort to root out and destroy scotlands native gaidhlig. We have had a centralised pre english language education system since 1872 , with english being forced on people in many communities who had very little or no knowledge of the language before schooling , ie english became their second but main language.

The english people and their  ancestors have been in britain for approx 1500 years and have been at war continuosly with the celts for the majority of that time. It took the anglo saxons 500 years to conquer what is now england fighting the native britons , nicknamed the wealhas foreigners.

We have never shared royal dynasties. England hasnt had a native monarch since 1066 , and since then its been french , scottish , and german up till the current monarchy. The current queen may speak with an english accent , but its the royal house they are born into that matters , not their accent or language or place of birth. The house of saxe coburg gotha , changed by a pr excercise to windsor.The current monarchy is in place simply because of her ancestors were related to the scottish monarchy , who had links to the french descended kings who ruled england. Many of them for over 300 years couldnt speak english and didnt even live in england .

Scotland is not an anglican protestant nation , but presbyterian by tradition. Thats why there is no british state church , but a church of england and scotland. Presbyterian protestants of scottish descent in ireland were banned from joining the army  and the ministers from preaching up till the mid 19th century. Hardly a rosy protestant brotherhood.

Scotland share more with the french historically through the auld alliance. Scots english is full of french words , like ashet pie

http://www.scotslanguage.com/articles/words/2358

“We bang on about centuries of fellow-feeling, the cultural and military group hug that was the Auld Alliance and how ‘ashet pie’ and ‘bunnet’ were phrases happily handed over by our Gallic cousinsâ€, but we have many good Scots words to thank the French for, including such tableware as the tassie and the ashet.

that my mum makes , the old french boubillion coin used for centuries in scotland , trade between the countries and standing militarily together against england at crecy , bauge down through the centuries . De gaulle made a famous speech during the second world war about scots and french fighting together down through the ages and how the french people have never forgotten our friendship through the ages. 

Ther is a famous statue near reims i think celebrating the scottish soldiers who saved france from england ,  with words written in gaidhlig and french. The garde ecossais were one of the oldest regiments in the french army until they were disbanded , the list goes on and the warmth is still there between us today.

Outwith the last 3 centuries the only thing we have done consistently with england is war.

best wishes cm.

craig

The simple fact is before Scotland existed AD 800'There were 4 kingdoms.The picts,the gael,the Britons and a very small pocket of angles.Scotland was formed when the picts and gaels joined.Scotland was born as a gaelic country.That is Scotland.England is a Germanic nation..fact.

Edited by November13
  • Like 1

For a nation that doesn't care about race, you don't half bang on about it. Especially when it comes to your obsession about what medieval blood ties seperate you from the English. All people are of common descent anyway, as we all come from the body of one African woman. Therefore everybody is everybody elses cousin to some degree.

• Like 1

For a nation that doesn't care about race, you don't half bang on about it. Especially when it comes to your obsession about what medieval blood ties seperate you from the English. All people are of common descent anyway, as we all come from the body of one African woman. Therefore everybody is everybody elses cousin to some degree.

Who's 'you'?

Everyone in Scotland? The entire nation?

Or a couple of people on a forum responding to the posts of others asking a question on the History of the people of Scotland.

There's at least a couple of posters from south of the border who've implicitly claimed on this thread we are 'all the same' in Britain, hence Scots shouldn't vote for independence. Of course this 'sameness' does not for them extend beyond the borders of the UK to e.g. my family in France. In contrast, the above posts implicitly link parts of Scots heritage to England and beyond.

And to be honest, the pro-union campaign invoke race in the argument all the time, whilst the pro-independence campaign do not.

Alastair Darling, Ed etc talk about 'Foreign = bad' 

They have advocated 'All Scots' getting the vote in 2014, even though they don't live in Scotland, i.e. it is a vote for people of Scots blood/origins rather than residents.

If you go to the better together site you'll find the word 'real Scots' liberally sprinkled throughout, which begs the question 'What is a real Scot?'

Some have questioned the right to European citizens in Scotland getting the vote, presumably as these are not 'real Scots'.

They have the support of the BNP, the National Front, English/Scottish Defence leagues (the latter is ~30 strong), and the Orange Order.

In contrast, the pro-independence campaign advocate all people living in Scotland get the vote, irrespective of origins. Hence the talk not about 'Scottish people', but the 'People of Scotland'.

Ties in with the fact the Yes campaign have the support of all moderate centrist and left liberal parties whilst the pro-union campaign is backed by all right wing authoritarian ones.

------------------------------

Did you get back to me on what 'Scotland for the Scots and British first' means in the UKIP manifesto BTW?

Oh, and out of interest, as per the referendum on independence in Scotland, do you think a future referendum on independence from the EU for the UK should be include votes from all EU citizens living and working in the UK? Many, like my wife, having been here decades, paying taxes/NI, own property etc. No taxation without representation is my view.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Who mentioned race except you? Neither the scottish or the celts are a race and most europeans descend from the indo europeans going back to the first humans out of africa.

If this was addressed to me , i was replying to cheeky monkey and a question he posed. Wish you would read what i wrote rather than what you think i wrote.

We were discussing scotlands cultural and historical links with france , not  the false ideology of race.

@scottish skier

Did i read somewhere  that you said your wife was a breton???Love france and brittany , actually wanted to move to france years ago but met and married an english girl. We regularly go over there , st malo , normandy , the vendee and my brother in law has lived ( snow boarding instructor) near chamonix for nearly a decade now. Been ski ing near lanslebourg close to the italian border many moons ago , great country full of lovely people.

@scottish skier

Did i read somewhere  that you said your wife was a breton???Love france and brittany , actually wanted to move to france years ago but met and married an english girl. We regularly go over there , st malo , normandy , the vendee and my brother in law has lived ( snow boarding instructor) near chamonix for nearly a decade now. Been ski ing near lanslebourg close to the italian border many moons ago , great country full of lovely people.

Hi,

Yes, half my wife's family is from Brittany, the other half from the Bordeaux region.

We had our wedding in France, complete with Brittany bagpipers in kilts. The mayor who married us also prepared a speech on his own volition which talked about the historical links between Scotland and France; Auld Alliance, Garde Ecossaise, De Gaulle's speech etc. Was a really nice touch.

We holiday in Brittany (Benodet or Benoded in Breton) regularly - going again this summer.

----------

Edit - almost fell of my chair when I heard this was in the sunday post of all places today.

Posted Image

HEALEY ADMITS OIL TAX COVER-UP

The former Labour Chancellor, Denis Healey, has admitted his Government played down the value of Scotland’s oil reserves in the 1970s because of the threat of nationalism.

Now Lord Healey of Riddlesden, the Labour peer said tax receipts from oil is the biggest factor behind Westminster opposition to both next year’s and the 1979 independence referendum.

The 95-year-old also claimed the Westminster parties are “worried stiff†about Scots voting Yes in next year’s poll because of the valuable income from the North Sea. Meanwhile he joined former Conservative chancellor Nigel Lawson in backing a bid for the UK to quit the European Union.

Lord Healey said the UK would “suffer enormously†without the billions of pounds of tax from North Sea oil. He said:

“I think they [Westminster politicians] are concerned about Scotland taking the oil, I think they are worried stiff about it. I think we would suffer enormously if the income from Scottish oil stopped but if the Scots want it [independence], they should have it and we would just need to adjust. But I would think Scotland could survive perfectly well, economically, if it was independent. Yes, I would think so… with the oil.â€

In 1974 a leading Government economist, Professor Gavin McCrone, wrote a report which stated that Scotland would have had “embarrassingly†large tax surpluses as a result of the North Sea oil boom. Lord Healey’s Labour government decided to keep that document under wraps until it was eventually released in 2005. Reflecting on this time, Lord Healey said:

“I think we did underplay the value of the oil to the country because of the threat of nationalism but that was mainly down to Thatcher. We didn’t actually see the rewards from oil in my period in office because we were investing in the infrastructure rather than getting the returns and, really, Thatcher wouldn’t have been able to carry out any of her policies without that additional five per cent on GDP from oil. Incredible good luck she had from that.â€

Asked if he had considered establishing a sovereign wealth fund with the oil revenues to invest in the country’s future when he was in office, he said: “It’s true that we should have invested the money in things we needed in Britain and I had thought about an oil fund, but it wasn’t my responsibility by then.â€

Picked up by Wings over Scotland.

Surprising how many Scots still are unaware of how much they've been lied to over the years on this subject. When they find out about the lie, they turn to Yes immediately most of the time. It's not the oil itself, but the lie as it came / comes from all unionist parties, e.g. Scots Labour voters find that their own party has been lying to them.

Edited by scottish skier

Is the elephant finally out of the room?

SNP should push for Public Enquiry to ascertain whether a cover up took place, this is a goldmine for the Yes campaign and can't wait for First Minister Questions on Thursday when hopefully Alec asks Joanne Lamont about it.

Incidentally Joanne Lamont was bang out of order asking AS about a specific cancer drug that is not available in Scotland whilst someone with Cancer who needed it was in the chamber, very poor politics in my view.

The SNP are are after all the one's who brought in free prescriptions. There will always be indiviual cases that lose out and the needs of the many surely outweigh the needs of the few.

Weirdly enough if Scotland was Independent in would be in a position of strength to negotiate with the money grabbing drugs companies and with the higher tax revenue from oil would be able to buy more drugs for the Scottish NHS.

For reasons of a mix of geographical, historical, economic, cultural and political factors, the political reality is Scotland and England are divergent and moving apart rapidly it seems at present. This could well be summed up spectacularly in the 2014 Euro elections by England returning a majority of UKIP MEP's, while UKIP struggles to get a few % of the poll in Scotland who returns a majority of SNP MEPS.
  • Like 1

Is the elephant finally out of the room?

I'd imagine the Sunday Post will sell well today anyway.

I mentioned in the past a policeman I met at an event locally. We got chatting and ended up on this subject. Turns out he voted Tory all his life until he found out about the oil cover up. He felt so angry and betrayed by a party he had voted for loyally. Voted SNP in 2011 and will be voting yes.

New guy at work said he wanted more powers but not independence. Sent him a link to the McCrone story and instant Yes conversion.

It's the lie that does it.

As I've said before, the oil in many ways was a poisoned chalice. Scotland would most likely already be independent now if it was not for the oil. In 1949, nearly half the electorate signed a petition calling for a Scottish Parliament before anyone knew anything about what lay beneath the sea floor off Scotland. The 1979 referendum Yes vote was overruled because of oil (even then most Scots had no idea of the extent of oil resources - it was the 80's that confirmed this). Imagine it had not been. After a few years of thatcherism you'd have had an SNP majority in the devolved parliament, a referendum, and Scotland would have been off. An independent nation in Europe.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Hi,

Yes, half my wife's family is from Brittany, the other half from the Bordeaux region.

We had our wedding in France, complete with Brittany bagpipers in kilts. The mayor who married us also prepared a speech on his own volition which talked about the historical links between Scotland and France; Auld Alliance, Garde Ecossaise, De Gaulle's speech etc. Was a really nice touch.

We holiday in Brittany (Benodet or Benoded in Breton) regularly - going again this summer.

----------

Edit - almost fell of my chair when I heard this was in the sunday post of all places today.

Posted Image

HEALEY ADMITS OIL TAX COVER-UP

The former Labour Chancellor, Denis Healey, has admitted his Government played down the value of Scotland’s oil reserves in the 1970s because of the threat of nationalism.

Now Lord Healey of Riddlesden, the Labour peer said tax receipts from oil is the biggest factor behind Westminster opposition to both next year’s and the 1979 independence referendum.

The 95-year-old also claimed the Westminster parties are “worried stiff†about Scots voting Yes in next year’s poll because of the valuable income from the North Sea. Meanwhile he joined former Conservative chancellor Nigel Lawson in backing a bid for the UK to quit the European Union.

Lord Healey said the UK would “suffer enormously†without the billions of pounds of tax from North Sea oil. He said:

“I think they [Westminster politicians] are concerned about Scotland taking the oil, I think they are worried stiff about it. I think we would suffer enormously if the income from Scottish oil stopped but if the Scots want it [independence], they should have it and we would just need to adjust. But I would think Scotland could survive perfectly well, economically, if it was independent. Yes, I would think so… with the oil.â€

In 1974 a leading Government economist, Professor Gavin McCrone, wrote a report which stated that Scotland would have had “embarrassingly†large tax surpluses as a result of the North Sea oil boom. Lord Healey’s Labour government decided to keep that document under wraps until it was eventually released in 2005. Reflecting on this time, Lord Healey said:

“I think we did underplay the value of the oil to the country because of the threat of nationalism but that was mainly down to Thatcher. We didn’t actually see the rewards from oil in my period in office because we were investing in the infrastructure rather than getting the returns and, really, Thatcher wouldn’t have been able to carry out any of her policies without that additional five per cent on GDP from oil. Incredible good luck she had from that.â€

Asked if he had considered establishing a sovereign wealth fund with the oil revenues to invest in the country’s future when he was in office, he said: “It’s true that we should have invested the money in things we needed in Britain and I had thought about an oil fund, but it wasn’t my responsibility by then.â€

Picked up by Wings over Scotland.

Surprising how many Scots still are unaware of how much they've been lied to over the years on this subject. When they find out about the lie, they turn to Yes immediately most of the time. It's not the oil itself, but the lie as it came / comes from all unionist parties, e.g. Scots Labour voters find that their own party has been lying to them.

Of the many countries i have had the privalage to visit , the warmth i have experienced from many french people when they hear i am scottish is unparralled . De gaulle`s speech still moves me today

Speech delivered by General de Gaulle at Edinburgh, 23rd June 1942

I do not think that a Frenchman could have come to Scotland at any time without being sensible of a special emotion. Scarcely can he set foot in this ancient and glorious land before he finds countless natural affinities between your country and ours dating from the very earliest times. In the same moment, awareness of the thousand links, still living and cherished, of the Franco-Scottish Alliance, the oldest alliance in the world, leaps to his mind.

When I say "Franco-Scottish Alliance," I am thinking, firstly, of course, of that close political and military entente which, in the Middle Ages, was established between our ancient monarchy and yours.

I am thinking of the Scottish blood which flowed in the veins of our kings and of the French blood which flowed in the veins of your kings, of glory shared on past battlefields, from the siege of Orleans, raised by Joan of Arc, to Valmy, where Goethe recognised that a new age was dawning for the world.

In every combat where for five centuries the destiny of France was at stake, there were always men of Scotland to fight side by side with men of France, and what Frenchmen feel is that no people has ever been more generous than yours with its friendship.

http://www.electricscotland.com/france/degaulle.htm

Hope you enjoy your holiday , we hope to be going back soon as well.

Posted Image

The simple fact is before Scotland existed AD 800'There were 4 kingdoms.The picts,the gael,the Britons and a very small pocket of angles.Scotland was formed when the picts and gaels joined.Scotland was born as a gaelic country.That is Scotland.England is a Germanic nation..fact.

I'm not so sure I would include Cornwall in this although the Beaker people arrived from northern Europe.But there has always been a close affinity with Brittany.

The Cornish Celts were a tribal people,.They were part of the tribe of the Dumnonii, whose members were also found in Ireland, Devon and Somerset. They were skilled craftsmen, metalworkers and builders, but first and foremost a pastoral people living in close harmony with the land. They spoke a language that had probably been long understood by Bronze Age people. It has left its mark on the English language, and is still spoken in various forms in Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Cornwall. Cornish and Breton, the language of Brittany, were very similar in the Middle Ages.There had always been very close Cornish connections with northern France, when in early days this Atlantic peninsula was known as Armorica (the land by the sea). Many of the Cornish settled there during the fifth and sixth centuries AD, when 'Armorica' became 'Brittany'; a clear indication of extensive immigration from south-west Britain.

Anyway this is really irrelevant. If the Scottish people vote for independence, fine. I really don't understand why some English folk are getting their knickers in a twist over this. Mebyon Kernow are right behind AS.

• Like 1

Firstly SS I don't know what ‘Scotland for the Scots and British first’ in the UKIP manifesto means as I didn't write it and I am not a party member, so your guess is as good as mine. Although I presume it means anybody who is a UK citizen with full rights. and I presume your French wife is anyway. Just as Nigel Farage's German wife is a UK citizen. Maybe he doesn't want his own wife to have a vote in a in/out EU referendum,I don't know. As for my reply about going on about race or cultural links if thats a better term I was replying to November 13 and Craigmc and their explanations of the ancient links and seperations of the Scots the French and the English. I never claimed the Scots are more like the English than the French, that was Cheeky monkey. I was just trying to point out that its irrelevant and their shouldn't be some sort of competition concerning what nations share stronger cultural ties with each another to justify whether Scotland should be in the UK or the UK in the EU etc.

• Like 1

Firstly SS I don't know what ‘Scotland for the Scots and British first’ in the UKIP manifesto means as I didn't write it and I am not a party member, so your guess is as good as mine. Although I presume it means anybody who is a UK citizen with full rights. and I presume your French wife is anyway. Just as Nigel Farage's German wife is a UK citizen. Maybe he doesn't want his own wife to have a vote in a in/out EU referendum,I don't know. As for my reply about going on about race or cultural links if thats a better term I was replying to November 13 and Craigmc and their explanations of the ancient links and seperations of the Scots the French and the English. I never claimed the Scots are more like the English than the French, that was Cheeky monkey. I was just trying to point out that its irrelevant and their shouldn't be some sort of competition concerning what nations share stronger cultural ties with each another to justify whether Scotland should be in the UK or the UK in the EU etc.

My French wife has a French passport (my daughter has both). We never felt the need to get British citizenship for her as we are in the EU and her French passport is as good as a British one in terms of world travel. Also might not make sense now to get one (she of course could as my wife) given Scotland may leave the UK and the rUK may leave the EU.

Fair enough on the manifesto stuff - I think it sounds a bit anti-foreigner to me. You could certainly see why it has people worried, particularly EU citizens etc.

I agree on the irrelevance of ancient people migrations to the current debate. History can have importance (and can be interesting in itself as a sideline here and there), but only in defining how we got to where we are, rather than necessarily impacting on where we are going.

Edited by scottish skier

Anyhoo, back to politics.

Panelbase poll for the sunday times.

Has Yes and no neck and neck on 44% if Britain's EU membership looks under threat.

Omitting the EU question, %'s with changes from their last published poll:

No 44% (-2)
Yes 36% (nc)
Unsure 20% (+2)

4% swing to make things equal if unsures remained unsure.

Obviously an prospective EU exit gives Yes a big boost.

I wonder what Yes would look like for the scenario of a Tory-UKIP coalition leading an EU exit.
Edited by scottish skier

If, like me, you'd spent 20+ years' in the country, you'd understand. Believe me? 

I consider myself European first, then English and lastly British. What does that make me? An 'eye-swivelling loon'?

If, like me, you'd spent 20+ years' in the country, you'd understand. Believe me?  I consider myself European first, then English and lastly British. What does that make me? An 'eye-swivelling loon'?

If you consider yourself European first I would say you are in a massive minority.
  • Like 1
Holyrood VI from that panelbase poll:

SNP 45%
Lab 30%
Con 13%
Lib 5%
Other 4%
Green 2%

So within variance, no change on May 2011 and landslide numbers for the SNP.

UKIP somewhere in that 4% along with independents, SSP, solidarity, Scottish Senior Citizens etc, which, assuming similar levels as 2011 for these, would have UKIP on no change at ~1%.
Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There's an article on Newsnet Scotland about the infamous Mccrone Report, worth a read if you haven't really heard much about this before. Whatever the merits of independence, this report lays bare two things. Firstly, the total economic incompetence of repeated Westminster Governments. Secondly, the sheer duplicity of and the failure of the Westminster system to look after Scotland's interests, no care for our problems or issues or solving them, just to throw enough crumbs of comfort out from the Westminster table, that we stay compliant. Meanwhile ministers and mandarins squander our natural resources and wealth. That this report was marked a state secret and locked away for 30 years simply multiplies the second point many fold.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/referendum/7466-the-mccrone-report-a-thirty-year-secret-

It's also a damning indictment retrospectively of the Westminster system's squandering of this resource. Where is the oil fund or at least the investment in infrastructure and communications to deliver a more balanced economy, a fairer society with equal opportunities in life?

There's an article on Newsnet Scotland about the infamous Mccrone Report, worth a read if you haven't really heard much about this before. Whatever the merits of independence, this report lays bare two things. Firstly, the total economic incompetence of repeated Westminster Governments. Secondly, the sheer duplicity of and the failure of the Westminster system to look after Scotland's interests, no care for our problems or issues or solving them, just to throw enough crumbs of comfort out from the Westminster table, that we stay compliant. Meanwhile ministers and mandarins squander our natural resources and wealth. That this report was marked a state secret and locked away for 30 years simply multiplies the second point many fold.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/referendum/7466-the-mccrone-report-a-thirty-year-secret-

It's also a damning indictment retrospectively of the Westminster system's squandering of this resource. Where is the oil fund or at least the investment in infrastructure and communications to deliver a more balanced economy, a fairer society with equal opportunities in life?

All voters in next years referundum should read this before they decide.   

All voters in next years referundum should read this before they decide.

Might be worth printing and pinning on a few prime locations. It's the only way you will ever get the truth to people as our media in Scotland clearly accept everything that the unionists tell them.