• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottish skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Interesting newsnicht today, Brewer hectoring SNP women seems to be in his job description now, though Grahame stayed calm throughout and came across very well. Malcolm Chisholm was sent in to defend Scottish Labour's bizarre U-turn on universal benefits and I always feel sorry for him in some ways to be hamstrung by such an inept party because I quite like him as a politician. In a post-indy Scotland he would be an excellent leader of Labour, though he's maybe getting on a bit.

Yes It was rude and embarassing.He would ask Christine a question she would say one word and then he would talk over her time and time again.Awful for the viewers as all they could hear was Brewer who had no interest in listening.If she said black he would say white.I have noticed this with Gary Robertson on the radio as well.The bbc are a disgrace.Its the worst form of media propeganda.

Just to put Tavish's Shetland as a Crown Dependency dog biscuits to bed.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3201771

The vast majority of people in Shetland and Orkney believe the northern isles should remain part of Scotland.

An exclusive poll commissioned by the Press and Journal showed that 82% thought the current arrangements should be maintained.

A total of 8% of respondents said they thought the northern isles should break away from Scotland and 10% said they did not know.

I'd imagine that's why they voted for Devolution Tavish.

--------

Also, wee bit of good news on the economy front.

Unemployment down again (to 7.3%) and below 200,000 for the first time in 4 years. Employment also up too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-22175223

EDIT. Also 0.5% growth in Q4 2012 (on the back of 0.3% in Q3) which is further good news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-22176290

Edited by scottish skier

Yeh Tavish is like one of those Cads from the 1920s.Comes across all gentelmanly.Until you realise that he is using the same divide and rule tactics employed by Britscots in Ireland and other ex colonies.A disgraceful scoundrel of a man.But better together just havent realised that its not  1920.There are things called the internet,Twitter,Facebook.People can now find the facts behind the lies at the click of a mouse.I am still trying to get my head around Oil being a liability for Scotland.Are these guys just on another planet.

I am still trying to get my head around Oil being a liability for Scotland.Are these guys just on another planet.

The pro-union campaign are simply having something of a headache over the current renaissance in the industry.  Investment is the highest it has been for 30 years. There is a huge boom underway and the Atlantic margin is now opening up in addition to a whole new lease of life to the North Sea basin itself.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/be4f240a-a2bf-11e2-bd45-00144feabdc0.html

It's a very exciting time to be working in the industry. I feel like I've just entered the first 1970's rush in many ways.

Record investment planned for North Sea

According to Oil & Gas UK, the offshore industry group, some 470m barrels of oil and gas will come on stream in 2013 – a fivefold increase on the average over the past three years. The group’s chief executive, Malcolm Webb, told the Financial Times that capital investment in new fields will rise from £11.4bn in 2012 to £13bn this year – the highest ever.

Oil & Gas UK expects production to rise to 2m barrels of oil equivalent a day by 2017, up from about 1.5m boe/d this year. That is a remarkable turnaround for a basin largely written off as a spent force by some of the world’s largest oil companies barely a decade ago.

The statistics suggest that the slump in investment during the 2000s – which the industry has blamed on Britain’s notoriously unstable tax regime – may finally be over.

The UK Government management of the UKCS has been terrible historically (seen as a cash cow to raid rather than a long term asset) and the instability of the tax regime has harmed investment. However, strong lobbying by the scottish government has help persuade Dave et al. to be more sensible. After all, it is in their interests as Scotland is still part of the UK and even if it leaves, having a reliable supply right on hand is crucial even if they no longer get the revenues long term.
Edited by scottish skier

His logic is that  Uk is democratic whilst Israel is not.Yet Scots have no say in electing the uk government due to simple 10 to 1 maths.

That's why Labour won 3 consecutive elections with a majority support* in Scotland Posted Image

* in terms of seats won - obviously in each case the majority of UK and Scottish voters were opposed to Labour, but then, there has only ever been one government elected in the UK under universal sufferage with a majority percentage of votes, and that was in 1931

The point is: for 13 years we had a Scottish Prime Minister (Bliar and then Brown) voted in by the Scottish electorate.  And you think that's unfair to the Scottish??????

Edited by Essan

You miss the point.Labour won power in the Uk because England decided it wanted a labour Government.Not because Scotland had the say on who got in.if there are 10 English voters for every Scot how can Scotland elect the government.We had 18 years of Tory rule up here.Labour held 50 seats ot of 72 for All those years.It made no difference.But when England voted for Blair the Uk had a labour government.Thats why we have a tory government now with only one Tory mp in Scotland.Its not who 90 percent of Scots voted for.Thats the point we cant change the government only England can.

* in terms of seats won - obviously in each case the majority of UK and Scottish voters were opposed to Labour, 

And ~1/4+ of the Labour vote in Scotland did not support Labour (supported the SNP or the Lib Dems), just didn't want the Tories to win according to polls (and reflected in the Labour vote dropping 9.4 points in 1999 - just 2 years after the 'landslide' then a further 4.3 points by 2003 for Holyrood).

Such is the nature of tactical voting under FPTP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-past-the-post_voting#Tactical_voting

To a greater extent than many other electoral methods, the first-past-the-post system encourages tactical voting. Voters have an incentive to vote for one of the two candidates they predict are most likely to win, even if they would prefer another of the candidates to win, because a vote for any other candidate will likely be "wasted" and have no impact on the final result.

I've voted in 4 UK GE's. Never has my vote been counted. Counted every time for Holyrood though.Posted Image

You miss the point.Labour won power in the Uk because England decided it wanted a labour Government.Not because Scotland had the say on who got in.if there are 10 English voters for every Scot how can Scotland elect the government.We had 18 years of Tory rule up here.Labour held 50 seats ot of 72 for All those years.It made no difference.But when England voted for Blair the Uk had a labour government.Thats why we have a tory government now with only one Tory mp in Scotland.Its not who 90 percent of Scots voted for.Thats the point we cant change the government only England can.

One can argue the same about the SW or East Anglia.And in Scotland, only the people in Glasgow and Edinburgh can change the Scottish govt ....

I've voted in 4 UK GE's. Never has my vote been counted. Counted every time for Holyrood though.Posted Image

Not if you'd voted for the Green Party :p

One can argue the same about the SW or East Anglia.And in Scotland, only the people in Glasgow and Edinburgh can change the Scottish govt ....

Oh dear oh dear.Scotland is a nation not a region or a city. Thats the point but clearly lost on you.

Labour have now started talks on further devolution.  This would include devolving all income tax to Scotland.  Interestingly North Sea oil revenue will not be included  as it to "volatile".

(This just in from Canada - They have decided to share their oil revenue with the US as it is considered too volatile for the Canadians to manage on their own)  sound ridiculous?

Volatile but will only ever move generally upwards unless some vast easy accessable source is found.

How daft are they. If Scotland had benefited solely from North Sea oil, poverty in Scotland would have been erradicated. 350 billion in tax receipts into London with the majority spent in London and the South East.

Labour have now started talks on further devolution.  This would include devolving all income tax to Scotland.  Interestingly North Sea oil revenue will not be included  as it to "volatile".

(This just in from Canada - They have decided to share their oil revenue with the US as it is considered too volatile for the Canadians to manage on their own)  sound ridiculous?

Too little too late and meaningless. Scottish Labour MPs causing a fuss about it too - angry with MSPs. Apparently some planning to boycott the Scottish Labour conference over it. They rightly point out...

Why should English Labour MPs (and English voters if they don't get devolution too) support more and more devolution for Scotland?

Not only are the Tories annoyed, but Labour too now.

There can be no more devolution. It's the status quo or independence.

Edited by scottish skier

And national collective are having a press conference.

They're playing the pro-union camp like a fiddle. Got themselves one of Scotland's highest profile lawyers.

Try to silence people (harmless artist/creative students) over dirty blood-stained donations from London Tories (not even registered to vote in Scotland) to Better Together and this is what you get.

http://nationalcollective.com/

EDIT and the site is back up and running.

Visit to sign a petition calling for the pro-union campaign to return Taylor's dirty money donation.

Edited by scottish skier

Yeh that one from Labour is a cracker. The price of oil goes up and down so lets just leave that for Westminster to maintain. They honestly think that Scots cannot see what is going on. In other words we will keep the profits from oil and Whisky and you jocks can have the income tax. It's just beyond any comment really.

• Like 1

Oh dear oh dear.Scotland is a nation not a region or a city. Thats the point but clearly lost on you.

Actually november13 , the point isnt lost on essan. He is well aware( or should be) that britain is a multi national state and always has been since its inception. Region of britain is when something is wanted from scotland  , like oil or cannon fodder in imperial wars , and nation comes into play when it comes to building a high speed rail link from london to that foreign country in the north or sending our pocket money north from the taxes we provide and then convincing the english electorate they are subsidising a foreign country of ungratefull spongers.

You can see it here , one minute , we are all britons together as evidenced here when he likens scotland to a region of England.....

One can argue the same about the SW or East Anglia.

...and then the selective amnesia kicks in  , we are all britons together goes out the window  when he wishes to critiscise a british prime minister ( as evidenced by calling  Tony Blair bliar) by bringing up his scottish nationality when it suits.

The point is: for 13 years we had a Scottish Prime Minister (Bliar and then Brown) voted in by the Scottish electorate.  And you think that's unfair to the Scottish??????

Essan, Blair may have been born in edinburgh , but since when did the scottish electorate cast votes in the sedgefield constituency???

who voted brown in as prime minister ????

England gets the government it votes for.

- which means that for 62 of the last 67 years, Scottish MPs as an entity have hadno practical influence over the composition of the UK government. From a high of 72 MPs in 1983, Scotland’s representation will by 2015 have decreased to 52, substantially reducing any future possibility of affecting a change.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/why-labour-doesnt-need-scotland/

Final point essan , good to see the islanders want to remain scottish ( 82% yes) so bang goes your baseless theory earlier in this thread about the islands wanting to remain part of the rUK.

If i were you , i would stay off this thread and save yourself further embarresment. You clearly know nothing about Scotland , its history politics or people.

Edited by craigmc

Well done the Herald.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/artists-we-wont-be-bullied-into-silence-by-better-together-donor.1366286778

Artists: we won't be bullied into silence by Better Together donor

A freedom of speech row has been ignited by a group of campaigning artists who raised questions about a oil executive's £500,000 donation to the Better Together campaign to keep Scotland in the UK.

National Collective, a non-party political group of artists and writers, say they will not be "bullied" by attempts to stop the online publication of an article detailing allegations about Vitol, a global oil firm.

The refusal to back down comes two weeks after National Collective wrote about the company's background, prompted by the donation from Vitol chief executive Ian Taylor.

The article makes allegations about the firm's deals in Iraq and the former Yugoslavia, and was removed from the internet until today when the group, backed by solicitor Aamer Anwar, announced it would stand by its action.

The story has taken on a wider political dimension after The Herald and Sunday Herald published a number of reports about Vitol and Mr Taylor.

And bravo National Collective.

I've got a free bet burning a hole in my pocket at PaddyPower so I thought I might have a punt on the Independance issue.

The odds either way are not worth the effort though!!

Against Independence (Fail) 1/4    For Independence (Pass) 5/2

The best odds they are offering are 8/1 on a Scottish Currency for the really brave, confident (or fool hardy!!) Posted Image

Edited by kar999
  • Like 2

If i were you , i would stay off this thread and save yourself further embarresment. You clearly know nothing about Scotland , its history politics or people.

Why should I be embarassed that an anonymous person knows absolutely nothing about me? Posted Image

Anyway, I see there's a new political party in Scotland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22199569

I might have to join it, just for fun Posted Image

• Like 1

Why should I be embarassed that an anonymous person knows absolutely nothing about me? Posted Image

Anyway, I see there's a new political party in Scotland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22199569

I might have to join it, just for fun Posted Image

Ha ha. Further erosion of the Tory vote....

Posted Image

• Like 1

What Tory vote? :D Can't find anything about the party yet, doesn't even seem to have a website so not sure how serious it is or who's behind it.

What Tory vote? Posted Image

LOL This might help. 

Posted Image

----------------------------------

And finally our glorious state TV runs with vitol dirty money story. Just couldn't hide it any more. Not when the FM talks about it on the TV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22208385

Scottish independence: Call for Better Together to return Ian Taylor donation

...In 2007, Vitol was heavily fined by a New York court after admitting making payments to the national oil company in Saddam Hussein's Iraq which were outside the UN's oil for food programme.

Vitol is also reported to have paid $1m to the notorious Serbian paramilitary Arkan as part of an oil deal in the 1990s. The company said it had not acted illegally.

In a BBC interview, Mr Salmond said: "The problem is the range of activities which is suggested that the company have been involved in".

"I think the Better Together campaign should examine this and return the money in the same way as the Labour Party argued that the Conservatives should return the money when a donation was made to them."

Problem is, unless another donor is suddenly going to chuck in £0.5 million, better together would be broke if they gave the Taylor donation back. I wonder how many other donors are ready to come forward now? They'd better not be a Tory not registered to vote in Scotland and have a clean sheet in terms of where their cash came from.

EDIT. STV too now.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

There were a few lesser spotted Scottish Tories spotted in Englandshire at mad Mags funeral.Easy to spot a Scotsman on the make down there.Aye she was misunderstood in Scotland.All the time we thought she was shutting Scotland down.Turns out she was a yes Scotland plant.Now if only Salmond could find another agent.Silly me he has two already Cameron and Lamont .Well done Scotland s proud of you.

• Like 2