Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

That's mealy mouthed.

They're concentration camps by all the standard definitions.

Calling them a different name doesn't change their purpose.

They are for detaining people from minority groups without trial for extended periods ahead of transportation / deportation. They are not managed by the police / courts of law, but by a government agency through direct executive decree.

Inmates present no threat to public safety or national security. They are being detained simply due to current government policy, i.e. are political prisoners.

If we are going to lock people up for extended periods, they should only be locked up by the police/courts after due legal process and because they present a clear threat to public safety / national security. 

We will have to disagree then,i view the term differently,but i'm not having a argument over a terms definition when in the most i agreed with your original post!

I always enjoy coming on your personal blogging page from time to time(75% plus posts are yours,so you can't deny that),a lot of what you say i agree with amazingly,just on this term i don't. But heck what do i know i'm just some dum northern English caveman,would you expect any better!?

• Like 1
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fairer-faster-and-firmer-a-modern-approach-to-immigration-and-asylum

The biggest expansion was under a Labour government not a Tory government. Not that it makes any of this right. Just a perspective view. Up to 2005 i believe. All done under the existing scheme. 2 new ones in England,one in Scotland with a increase in existing capacity at one other site.

Edited by markyo
51 minutes ago, markyo said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fairer-faster-and-firmer-a-modern-approach-to-immigration-and-asylum

The biggest expansion was under a Labour government not a Tory government. Not that it makes any of this right. Just a perspective view. Up to 2005 i believe. All done under the existing scheme. 2 new ones in England,one in Scotland with a increase in existing capacity at one other site.

New Labour in a single picture:

31_labourmug_r_w--(None).jpg

• Like 2

Of course, we're going to rise now and be a nation again.

I'm very optimistic for an iScotland.

We came damn close last time, but it was just a wee bit too early.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44301827

Scots 'more optimistic about future', according to BBC survey

People in Scotland are more likely to be optimistic about the future than people elsewhere in the UK, according to a new BBC survey.

The BBC commissioned surveys across the UK about attitudes toward identity.

More Scots surveyed said the country's best days were in the future (36%) than in the past (29%).

...Polling experts said data showing greater optimism about the future in Scotland and Wales was largely down to responses from independence supporters in these areas.

So soon your time will come.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Of course, we're going to rise now and be a nation again.

I'm very optimistic for an iScotland.

We came damn close last time, but it was just a wee bit too early.

What time of day did they do that polling?

Yougov polls tend to be fairly pro-union / labour (far too many English born and labour voters in the Scottish panel), so keep that in mind.

Makes this all the more pleasing.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

You have to admit it's weird to think the union is crap and the best days of Scotland / the UK are behind us...

Yet vote to keep things that way.

And when you do vote for change, think things will still be crap after it.

Viewed through the lens of the Brexit referendum, 40% of Remain voters said Scotland would be better in the future, compared to only 29% of Leave voters.

Jeez brexit unionists are a depressing lot.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

SSAS data courtesy of wings.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/times-of-change/

Independence is the most popular option. Overtook devo after the brexit vote.

ssasg.jpg

Big change here in terms of Scotland's voice in the world. No longer does the UK give it a say on the international stage, what with Britain turning in on itself / becoming diminished.

scovoice.jpg

But most importantly, for the first time ever, economically, independence is the better option.

indecono.jpg

EDIT

On economic grounds alone, ex 'no difference' we have:

2014 = 39% Yes

2017 = 54% Yes

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

SSAS data courtesy of wings.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/times-of-change/

Independence is the most popular option. Overtook devo after the brexit vote.

ssasg.jpg

Big change here in terms of Scotland's voice in the world. No longer does the UK give it a say on the international stage, what with Britain turning in on itself / becoming diminished.

scovoice.jpg

But most importantly, for the first time ever, economically, independence is the better option.

indecono.jpg

EDIT

On economic grounds alone, ex 'no difference' we have:

2014 = 39% Yes

2017 = 54% Yes

The only issue are the potential Yes supporters who want to leave the EU. If this occurs in March of next year we could see a big swing to Yes.

I wonder what negative spin the MSN will put on these figures. They may of course just ignore them.

8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The only issue are the potential Yes supporters who want to leave the EU. If this occurs in March of next year we could see a big swing to Yes.

I wonder what negative spin the MSN will put on these figures. They may of course just ignore them.

Call me stupid but I think it's a mistake to believe Jim Sillars would vote No in an #iref2 if the SNP were going into that on an ostensible 'stay in the EU if we can' ticket.

I mean Jim Sillars voting Tory / pro-UK?

That's who the unionists are relying on to save the UK right now. Yes + Yes (leave). The most super pro-indy people. Independence from all unions! ?

The 54% 'economic yes' is very interesting. Fits with the preferred constitutional option polls I've mentioned often enough.

Edited by scottish skier

https://www.geplus.co.uk/news/queensferry-crossing-named-as-project-of-the-decade/10031806.article#.Wxmklriz6FO.twitter

•  

Edinburgh’s Queensferry Crossing was declared Project of the Decade at last night’s GE Awards in London.

The major project category winner from 2015 by Forth Crossing Bridge Constructors, Ramboll and Transport Scotland with Jacobs Arup JV Ramboll was one of 10 taken forward into a special category to mark the GE Award’s 10th anniversary.

We are Scotland, we can do it! Are you YES yet?

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Call me stupid but I think it's a mistake to believe Jim Sillars would vote No in an #iref2 if the SNP were going into that on an ostensible 'stay in the EU if we can' ticket.

I mean Jim Sillars voting Tory / pro-UK?

That's who the unionists are relying on to save the UK right now. Yes + Yes (leave). The most super pro-indy people. Independence from all unions! ?

The 54% 'economic yes' is very interesting. Fits with the preferred constitutional option polls I've mentioned often enough.

Yes, but they may answer No to the pollsters until Scotland is out of the EU

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

New Westminster poll out...

SNP 40% (+4%) that would give 43 seats up 8.

All good news tonight.

For EVEL English Parliament elections (Scottish MPs can never be PM / chancellor or hold any office of state other than the redundant SoS position).

And of course where if your party is Scottish, they will be automatically excluded from coalition on that basis alone:

Not great for the unionist parties at all, although changes are within MoE (+/- 3). SNP up on 2017, Con and Lab down.

I have noticed in UK subsamples the SNP apparently heading up while Labour heads down recently, with the Tories maybe holding around 2017 levels. This would not disagree with such a trend.

Compared to 2017:

SNP: 40(+3)%
CON: 27(-2)%
LAB: 23% (-4)%
LDEM: 7% (nc)%
GRN: 2% (+2)%

Green vote would go to SNP. 

Compared to 2017 in seats (ignoring any further little boost from Green votes):

SNP: 42 (+7)
CON: 11 (-1)
LAB: 1 (-6)
LDEM: 4 (nc)

An 'epic landslide people have spoken and utterly rejected all forms of brexit, demanding independence, with the UK parties utterly on the back foot' type result. 

Agrees with the passing of both peak Corbyn and peak Tory.

---

But the SSAS economic question is the most important.

That was the one ace the UK had on indy; it seemed to present a better economic situation for all its faults. 

Not since the brexiters took the helm.

My thanks to all of them!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

I'd say that if we were still a few votes shy of the 50% mark come the time, the shops running out of food thanks to the English brexiters would be enough to get us over the line.

This could cause people to actually die, yet no consultation with the Scottish Government / NHS Scotland etc.

https://archive.li/bv5Rm

Scotland 'not consulted' on no-deal Brexit contingencies

The Scottish Government said it has not been consulted on contingency plans for a no-deal Brexit, leaked details of which suggested Scotland's supermarkets could run out of food "within two days".

The Whitehall document pointed to the potential for supply shortages and the collapse of the port of Dover "on day one" if Britain leaves the EU without a free trade deal.

No wonder people in Scotland now see independence as a better prospect economically / for trade.

EDIT

In the face of this:

ssasg.jpg

And particularly this:

indecono.jpg

The English Tories trying take control of Holyrood's powers seems an eminently sensible union-saving approach right?

Edited by scottish skier

Support for indy up across the board.

The 'Leave + Yes' vote are not a problem, other than on the 'tomorrow' type polls they're more likely to say 'No, not tomorrow, but after brexit'.

image.thumb.png.c2a8a19a95a396174e7755d610e98db5.png

Support for devo status quo or no parliament has collapsed since 2014.

I'm sure people 'won't care' about the English Tory power grab though right?

image.thumb.png.74f14bc06a7656f565f0d4cc498e4c32.png

49 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Support for indy up across the board.

The 'Leave + Yes' vote are not a problem, other than on the 'tomorrow' type polls they're more likely to say 'No, not tomorrow, but after brexit'.

image.thumb.png.c2a8a19a95a396174e7755d610e98db5.png

Support for devo status quo or no parliament has collapsed since 2014.

I'm sure people 'won't care' about the English Tory power grab though right?

image.thumb.png.74f14bc06a7656f565f0d4cc498e4c32.png

This is what I cannot fathom about Westminster, they know this, they know that the majority of Scots want either independence or greater not less devolution yet they just crack on merrily ignoring it.

The hard core no surrender yoon vote is dying off rapidly and yet they cannot seem to see it.

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

This is what I cannot fathom about Westminster, they know this, they know that the majority of Scots want either independence or greater not less devolution yet they just crack on merrily ignoring it.

The hard core no surrender yoon vote is dying off rapidly and yet they cannot seem to see it.

Same in N. Ireland. So far the Tory brexiters have all but secured support for re-unification there based on polling and that's with the assumption of a soft border.

In Scotland, they've got people now seeing indy as the better option economically. The lower risk option. 

It was the one trump card that the UK has always had; that indy was risky and while being in the UK was unpleasant at times (Tories in power etc), it was stable and didn't jump off cliffs drunk in just some union jack underpants.

But now here were are 2 years on from the vote with not a single plan in place yet the exit looming large. We have bunch of racists who call black people 'piccaninnies with watermelon smiles' driving the UK big red £350 million bus directly towards the cliff.

Scottish indy looks rather dull and uneventful now.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Yougov, snap iref tomorrow ex DK
45.1(+2.6%) Yes
54.9(-2.6%) No

Yougov gets the lowest SNP / yes of all pollsters.

The same swing would likely have e.g. MORI telephone back into Yes majority territory as it was briefly post breit vote.