• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Tory Britain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43870026

Food parcel handouts hit record high

Food banks in Scotland handed out a record number of food parcels last year, according to new figures.

More than 170,000 three-day emergency food supplies were distributed by The Trussell Trust's 52 food banks.

The charity said it saw a 17% increase in demand north of the border in 2017/18, compared to the previous year.

And it claimed a growing proportion of people referred to Scottish food banks have found that their benefits do not cover the cost of essentials.

image.thumb.png.c2942b247f3a1d7c3aa2aadf6f339a83.png

Edited by scottish skier

Seems the Welsh government agreement with the UK government does not have the backing of second placed Plaid Cymru.

I initially thought the Welsh Parliament had backed the agreement, but it turns that's not true, not if Plaid are objecting. That means the cross party consensus has broken down. Not a good sign when you are dealing with changes to devolution without the explicit consent of the electorate. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43880270

Plaid Cymru Leader Leanne Wood said: "By capitulating to Westminster on the EU Withdrawal Bill, the Labour Government is selling Wales down the river.

"This is a bare-faced Westminster power grab which undermines the will of the people of Wales who voted for more powers in two referendums."

As it stands, the Tories can't get vote of agreement on the brexit bill in Wales as they only have 11/60 seats. If they bring in 7 UKIP and even 1 lib Dem they are still miles short.

Unless Labour vote with them. Which seems to be what's happening. If Plaid were joining the agreement, all would be good, but not so.

I have a sinking feeling that Carwyn Jones recently announcing he'll step down as FM is related.

I wonder if we shortly hear he's being given a seat in the HoL... 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Thanks 2

Here's the main sticking point.

UK government wants to potentially take control of Holyrood powers for up to 7 years and legislate on these without clear consent from the electorate / Scottish parliament, i.e. do so unelected / without mandate.

No question that must be refused.

Wales had apparently agreed to this. That or they've changed the wording for Wales in some way but not for Scotland.

N. Ireland still refusing consent; nothing from SF to say they'd agree to this certainly.

Does look like we are now seeing unionists round on Scotland, with Labour and the Lib dems apparently trying to push the SNP and Greens to vote for the Tory proposal rather than stick with the original 74.3% Yes 1997 devo agreement. 

It's coming to crunch time in England for their Brexit you see, so Scotland is becoming a real hassle (N. Ireland too of course).

Ergo the 'SNP are just being awkward'* approach is now being tried.

That's what won the SNP the 2015 general election of course through; fighting for (max) devo (rather than indy alone) that is.

EDIT

*A scan of the papers this morning and only the Tory Scotsman and Daily Mail are running with it. Unsurprising. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, frogesque said:

All Under One Banner Independence March :friends:

Glasgow, Saturday 5th. May. Starts Kelvingrove Park 11.00 am, finishes George Square when you get there :D

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/march-scottish-independence-take-place-14102672

Whilst marching is all very well and good, we need to see more pressure politically from the SNP. They can start by withdrawing MP's from Westminster where unfortunately they achieve very little if anything at all. Also, refuse to pass anymore Sewell convention legislation to drive the constitutional crisis.

Additionally, we need to see the request for the Section 30 order as we now know for sure that the UK will not be in the customs union and therefore any final deal is not going to be acceptable.

We just need to get on with it.

7 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Whilst marching is all very well and good, we need to see more pressure politically from the SNP. They can start by withdrawing MP's from Westminster where unfortunately they achieve very little if anything at all. Also, refuse to pass anymore Sewell convention legislation to drive the constitutional crisis.

Additionally, we need to see the request for the Section 30 order as we now know for sure that the UK will not be in the customs union and therefore any final deal is not going to be acceptable.

We just need to get on with it.

Agree absolutely. It's a case of use it or lose it. Once Brexit is a done deal everything from Royal babies to the kitchen sink full of dirty water will be thrown at us.

We have the mandate and fortune favours the brave. We can't afford another five years of looking back and wishing 'if only'

I got a very brief glimpse of post Brexit EU when I was in Spain. Some are getting a bit antsy about the Englification of some parts with chip shops and takeaways having licences revoked. Ex Pats (well, immigrants realy) are also getting concerned about pensions and rights. Still a nice Country to go to but wouldn't want to live there.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Yeah, it was on the BBC 6.00pm news :rofl:

Nup, only just read about it on Wings. When it comes to overt dirty tactics and money the SO has it in the bag. Wait 'till IRef2. You ain't seen nuttin' yet. :angry:.

We need to get in their faces every day, at every opportunity to get our case heard.

• Like 1

And I can see why the Tories are well pleased with themselves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43895350

Brexit bill deal a significant achievement, says Theresa May

The prime minister has called agreement between the UK and Welsh governments over a long-running Brexit "power-grab" row a "significant achievement"...

...24 [previously devolved] powers in all - will be held in Westminster for a period of up to seven years...

The deal includes a political agreement - not a legal one - that the UK Government will seek the assembly's consent before changing any of those powers held in London.

Welsh Labour has handed over 24 devolved areas to facilitate a hard brexit and tear up the effective veto it had on future trade deals, including the EU one. 

Not a legal leg to stand on either if Westminster [sic England] sells them out. Yes a 'Political agreement' with the Tories can be trusted. You know, like the 'vow' and 'Scotland getting to stay in the EU' if it voted No.

Wood seems right on the money sadly:

Plaid Cymru Leader Leanne Wood was highly critical of the agreement, saying: "Our leverage has gone, leadership lost, and parliament weakened. This is a Labour-Tory stitch-up like no other."

"When he sells this parliament and my country's democracy to Westminster he can excuse my lack of conciliatory tone."

This is handing over control to the nasty party windrush xenophobes.

But then that's what Labour will always do in the end; London is what matters. 

In the EU 27 countries get a veto on trade deals, right down to little malta and even some regional parliaments.

In the UK, only England does. Wales effectively had a veto for the first time ever; Welsh Labour just gave it away.

Sorry @J10, but I can't read this another way.

Welsh Labour could have pushed for a '1 nation 1 vote' joint trade deal committee to sign off on these things. Helped make the UK a true union of equals, just like the EU. Instead, they handed full control over to London and the windrush Tories. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

And I can see why the Tories are well pleased with themselves.

Welsh Labour has handed over 24 devolved areas to facilitate a hard brexit and tear up the effective veto it had on future trade deals, including the EU one. 

Not a legal leg to stand on either if Westminster [sic England] sells them out. Yes a 'Political agreement' with the Tories can be trusted. You know, like the 'vow' and 'Scotland getting to stay in the EU' if it voted No.

Wood seems right on the money sadly:

This is handing over control to the nasty party windrush xenophobes.

But then that's what Labour will always do in the end; London is what matters. 

In the EU 27 countries get a veto on trade deals, right down to little malta and even some regional parliaments.

In the UK, only England does. Wales effectively had a veto for the first time ever; Welsh Labour just gave it away.

Sorry @J10, but I can't read this another way.

Welsh Labour could have pushed for a '1 nation 1 vote' joint trade deal committee to sign off on these things. Helped make the UK a true union of equals, just like the EU. Instead, they handed full control over to London and the windrush Tories. 

Classic divide and conquer. 

The future Baroness Sturgeon has a price, the Tories will be costing the situation carefully.

All politicians let you down sooner or later. I worked that out a long time ago.

Oops!

Alert readers may recall that the Electoral Commission recently chose, to everyone’s (cough) great surprise, to take no action against extremist Unionist shout-monkeys Scotland In Union over a number of clear breaches of electoral rules, or for failing to disclose a number of large donations from extremely wealthy donors.

10 days ago the EC published a tranche of FOI documents relating to the case on its website, with the donor details redacted to protect the identity of the various Lords, Dukes, Earls and Countesses who’d rather you didn’t know they’d been handing thousands of pounds at a time to SiU.

ecsiur.jpg

Or at least, sort of redacted.

Read the rest of this entry →

• Like 1

Already second class under EVEL (no Scots MP in a Scottish constituency can ever be PM), now the whole Devolution Settlement is thown on the M25.

Where does it stop? Ostensibly the overuling only applies to the 42 areas of competence but I don't see that in the wording. I see a blanket usurping of ALL Holyrood powers. Will need to read up more but I think this as very worrying. Westminster appear to be going full Rajoy on Scotland

All we will have left is taking to the streets, the water canon, rubber bullets, baton charges and tear gas. Won't happen, can't happen? Remember Peterloo, tanks in George Square and the Yorkshire miners.

I am very depressed this morning.

• Like 1

That's what the English nationalists are seemingly intent on doing.

By taking the approach of 'If you don't agree we will simply go over your heads' they start a political war where the Scottish Parliament passes a law on a devolved area, the UK government attempts to undo that, and it ends up in the courts.

Again, and again, and again....

The only way to stop things going to court is to actually take the powers back by truly stripping them from Holyrood, so fully undoing devolution. If the powers are still within the competence of Holyrood, then they can be exercised legitimately, even if the UK then tries to 'veto' them.

What we have is a typically Tory cowardly attempt to bypass devolution in a roundabout way, but one which can only backfire.  

It will cause clash after clash and it's not a battle they can win politically. 

While the SNP do need to take care in pushing for a new iref if the electorate are not yet in the mood for one, they cannot possibly lose as defenders of devolution.

If was doing exactly that which led to the 2015 result. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

As I have no time for nationalism, I'd never say I'm 'proud to be Scottish'. 

However, I can be very proud of Scotland at times.

Like when I read this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/scotland_politics

Holyrood approves social security bill

MSPs have unanimously passed legislation to establish a devolved Scottish social security system.

Holyrood is being given responsibility for 11 benefits, including disability living allowance, personal independence payments and carer's allowance...

...The Scottish government has described the changes as a "golden opportunity" to set up a system with "respect and dignity" at its heart.

And it has said the benefits agency will be "a new public service of which we can all be proud", and which will "deliver for the people of Scotland".

Just imagine what could be achieved through such consensus politics of Lab/Con/Lib weren't constantly selling out to Westminster.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

That's what the English nationalists are seemingly intent on doing.

By taking the approach of 'If you don't agree we will simply go over your heads' they start a political war where the Scottish Parliament passes a law on a devolved area, the UK government attempts to undo that, and it ends up in the courts.

Again, and again, and again....

The only way to stop things going to court is to actually take the powers back by truly stripping them from Holyrood, so fully undoing devolution. If the powers are still within the competence of Holyrood, then they can be exercised legitimately, even if the UK then tries to 'veto' them.

What we have is a typically Tory cowardly attempt to bypass devolution in a roundabout way, but one which can only backfire.  

It will cause clash after clash and it's not a battle they can win politically. 

While the SNP do need to take care in pushing for a new iref if the electorate are not yet in the mood for one, they cannot possibly lose as defenders of devolution.

If was doing exactly that which led to the 2015 result. 

Looking around the social media sphere, even some moderate Yoons are aghast at this proposed bill. Maybe the Westminster Torys are playing hardball but this is not a good politcal move for them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Looking around the social media sphere, even some moderate Yoons are aghast at this proposed bill. Maybe the Westminster Torys are playing hardball but this is not a good politcal move for them.

'A Rapist's Theory of Consent'.........     (WoS).......  does have a certain shock focus attached to it.   Perhaps it could and should be used more widely?

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

'A Rapist's Theory of Consent'.........     (WoS).......  does have a certain shock focus attached to it.   Perhaps it could and should be used more widely?

Well I for one needed a good laugh today.

Nicked from Wings:

gus1940 says:

Oh No!!!!!!!

According to Sky News our not so little Lt. Col. has been partaking of the turkey baster and Sky are ecstatic.

Given her current size I hate to think what shape she will be in afew months.

Now being interviewed.

Apparently 13 weeks with child.

Edit: sorry for the Express link but 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/951667/baby-news-scotland-ruth-davidson-pregnant-baby-scottish-conservatives-jen-wilson

Edited by frogesque
8 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Well I for one needed a good laugh today.

Nicked from Wings:

gus1940 says:

Oh No!!!!!!!

According to Sky News our not so little Lt. Col. has been partaking of the turkey baster and Sky are ecstatic.

Given her current size I hate to think what shape she will be in afew months.

Now being interviewed.

Apparently 13 weeks with child.

Edit: sorry for the Express link but 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/951667/baby-news-scotland-ruth-davidson-pregnant-baby-scottish-conservatives-jen-wilson

Well, good luck to them.

There is much I don't understand about how the world works. Professional video gamers, grime music and well, the er 'mechanics' of pregnancy in same sex relationships.

Is Tom Daley 'involved' here at all?

1 minute ago, Dougal said:

Well, good luck to them.

There is much I don't understand about how the world works. Professional video gamers, grime music and well, the er 'mechanics' of pregnancy in same sex relationships.

Is Tom Daley 'involved' here at all?

My guess would be some other w*****r!

Some folk wud dae onythin' tae get their haunds oan wan o' they Nicola's baby boxes

Where did she go for IVF I wonder.  A vet?   Yikes!  a baby buffalo on the way!

ruth1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOUXNkuaWnsqcZP1ZJrxCoycSrL5LPd8N5vPrIWZeCIU.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
17 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Where did she go for IVF I wonder.  A vet?   Yikes!  a baby buffalo on the way!

ruth1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOUXNkuaWnsqcZP1ZJrxCoycSrL5LPd8N5vPrIWZeCIU.jpg

Now now! All babies are precious. I really do hope it all goes well. The poor wee mite will have enough to put up with.

Imagine, he/she is going sixteen, "Well mums, how did yous vote in thon Independence referendum back in 2014?"

"Yous did WHAT? !!!"

• Like 1