Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

In a village hall near you?:rolleyes: Crathes public hall.

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7

MAY Hiding in a forest, oh my. That just about beats empty factories. I love this quote from my local MP. 

Stuart Donaldson, the SNP MP for West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, said: "The prime minister's speech from Aberdeenshire could not be broadcast due to signalling issues – an irony which will not be lost on people living in rural areas who wish the UK government would do more to support connectivity."

He added: "I know the village hall well – unfortunately it wouldn't be big enough for one of our meetings."

The last line is true, last full SNP constituency meeting we had before the decision to split the branch into sub areas had more people at it than that. That's for a routine monthly meeting too, not a PM visit. In fact Stuart is kicking off his campaign in Banchory tomorrow with a photo shoot, everyone invited, activists, families, kids, man and his dog. I'd expect it to be better attended than today's. 

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    7 minutes ago, 4wd said:

If she'd spoke in Edinburgh you could have complained about the cost of security to stop the inevitable organised attempts to throw stuff and turn the visit into a farce.
    Or she could stay away then you could say ignores Scotland altogther.
    What would you prefer she did.
    Apart from emigrate and become Trumps mistres perhaps.
    Answer came there none.
    It's clear there can't be any reasoned debate because SNP is in a state of constant seething hatred  against UK/England/Tories/Labour - especially now it's clear their support is slipping away (wonder why).
    Voting SNP means your voice is largely ignored at Westminster, because they only have one issue on the agenda and can barely contribute anything constructive on any other subject

If folk only watch the Yah/boo/sucks of PMQs, a total farce in my view, the this will obviously colour any judgement.

However, some of the Committees that SNP MPs sit on are an eye opener with thought out, logical and in-depth questions when taking evidence. Just few I can mention; Mahri Black, Pete Wishart and Johanna Cherry.

Most, if not all, Scots MPs are hard working and on average attend far more debates than those from other parties. Rarely do they get airtime outside of the Parliament Channel or any credit for their input.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    13 minutes ago, 4wd said:

It probably depends where you go, a lot of Scots seem to holiday on the Yorkshire coast especially Scarborough so Scottish notes are often circulating here and not unusual to get one back in change.
    Most places woud hardy look twice at them.

Most places in the north don't bother about Scottish notes, why would they when they're used to them? The whole currency thing is stupid. It's all about what you know and if you're willing to risk that a note may be fake or worthless. Try spending a Northern Irish note most places in Scotland and you'll get refused, I had years of experience of this when I used to come back from visiting my now ex who lived there. I even had a note refused by the Clydesdale Bank once as they said it was worthless. I say this every time this (non) topic comes up.

Posted
    25 minutes ago, 4wd said:

If she'd spoke in Edinburgh you could have complained about the cost of security to stop the inevitable organised attempts to throw stuff and turn the visit into a farce.
    Answer came there none.
    It's clear there can't be any reasoned debate because SNP is in a state of constant seething hatred  against UK/England/Tories/Labour - especially now it's clear their support is slipping away (wonder why).
    Voting SNP means your voice is largely ignored at Westminster, because they only have one issue on the agenda and can barely contribute anything constructive on any other subject

I'd like her to take part in a Leaders debate with Sturgeon (SNP), Harvie (Greens), Corybn and Farron. A Scottish issues one.

She said she wants to unite the UK, so this would be a great place to start.

She's too chicken though.

---

And note the English (EVEL) effectively exclude all Scots MPs of any party from senior UK cabinet positions (because they are unable to vote on matters affecting England). So even a Scots Tory MP will never be PM, chancellor... It's a form of apartheid. 

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

I see May was out today or one of the Maybots that have been produced.

The programme is pretty easy, its the Strong and Stable Leadership chip for the speech and the same for any questions. Not sure why she bothers, why not do what Mélenchon did in the French elections and have a hologram at several venues which would still generate more warmth than the real May.

• Like 3
    Posted

Aye. Brexit Britain.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/27/some-of-bnps-2005-election-pledges-are-now-mainstream-policy-6599296/

Some of the BNP’s 2005 election pledges are now mainstream policy

More than a decade ago the BNP were on the fringe of British politics peddling a message that was considered fascist and hateful.

But fast forward to 2017 and it is being argued that those same pledges have become mainstream policies favoured by the big political parties to win elections.

...But their fundamental messages – withdraw from the EU, bring back grammar schools, cut immigration, increase security – appear far more familiar.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    17 hours ago, 4wd said:

Answer came there none.

Nonsense!

She is the Prime Minister of this country and many better than her have to brave the storm and stand up for what they believe in.  Not hide away in a bloody forest!

The woman is a quivering wreck and is not fit for purpose!

Our First Minister is probably at much greater risk given the level of hatred and abuse hurled at her.   However, it does not stop her from walking amongst us and speaking at venues filled to the rafters all over this country - and some in yours!

And what of the devine Ms May? How many English hands has she shaken? how many filled to maximum venues has she attended? If she wants my vote I would seriously want and expect her to work for it or she doesn't get it!   I suppose you just roll over and think of England!

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
    47 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Well, if West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine is really one of thier top target seats in Scotland, enough so for her to take the trouble of visiting it herself, maybe she could have actually got out and you know, spoken to the electorate rather than a closed meeting of party activists in a hall in the middle of nowhere apparently booked under the guise of a 'children's party'. That last bit might be more prophetic than it seems. 

Security wouldn't be an issue, Banchory isn't exactly known as a haven of extremism. Alex Salmond was out campaigning with our local election candidates in my village last weekend, and in nearby Insch. He was out knocking doors in Bridge of Don  yesterday. You wouldn't find Nicola Sturgeon hiding in a village hall in some woods and if she ever does I promise to quit the SNP that very day. Politicians are there to serve the electorate and PM or not they should damn well be prepared to go walk amongst them and hear thier views, palatable or not. 

Edit: Lol Blitzen,  it seems us Nationalists all think too alike, SNP brainwashing must be working. 

Edited by Ravelin
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
    30 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Have you read any of the Green's manifestos? I wouldn't have thought I'd end up voting for them, I wouldn't have thought 20 years ago that I'd have ever voted SNP either...maybe I'll end up voting Tory in my old age after all?? 

I have not read a full manifesto, only looked at parts of one. Just looked at their one now...

(This one: https://greens.scot/scotland-can)

Do you have a link to a fully costed one? I don't see it being workable.

Commitment to keeping sport funding constant (which the SNP cut through necessity) , support for reversing the creation of 'Police Scotland'... (Not that I disagree with this at all but the reason the SNP did it was to pool resources and save money).
    Fighting privatisation - sounds good but how much extra money is needed for that?
    Universal school meals - extra £212 million (according to their manifesto) for a totally unnecessary policy.
    Only got through 3 of so sections, health, justice and something else.

I'm also against positive discrimination. I do support equality but feel positive discrimination is wrong. Candidates should be chosen for being the best not because they are part of an under represented group ie women, non-white etc. If candidates 50/50 then fair enough.

Levy on unhealthy foods - Oppose. Covered this is UK thread as to why a fat tax is the most ignorant policy.  If they mean a sugar tax then I also oppose but not so vehemently. (I do support MUP for alcohol and taxes on cigs as those are drug taxes).  

I do agree with drug decriminalisation and quite a few of their policies are fine.

Also... This must be a ....ing joke: https://greens.scot/sites/default/files/Campaigns/Holyrood 2016/Scottish Green Party easy read manifesto v2 web.pdf  The audience must be primary kids...

• Like 1
    Posted

Oh you gotta laugh!   from the very hall that Theresa spoke from today- and would you belive it, Morris Dancing actually originated in Scotland!:laugh:.........Nae luck!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rj5

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
    58 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Answer came there none.

I'd be impressed if May hired out the Hydro in Glasgow and opened it's doors for everyone to come and hear her speak.

And filled it.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I'd be impressed if May hired out the Hydro in Glasgow and opened it's doors for everyone to come and hear her speak.

And filled it.

stock-photo-a-pig-flying-through-the-clouds-in-the-sky-20768515.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Unbelievable.

Theresa May Held A Campaign Event In A Village Hall In A Scottish Wood With No Reception

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/theresa-may-held-a-campaign-event-in-a-village-hall-in?utm_term=.oirXZgVl6#.xfR37B6pX

• Like 1
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Unbelievable.

Theresa May Held A Campaign Event In A Village Hall In A Scottish Wood With No Reception

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/theresa-may-held-a-campaign-event-in-a-village-hall-in?utm_term=.oirXZgVl6#.xfR37B6pX

That's not such a bad thing?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
    6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Unbelievable.

I think the speech went down very well. The exit poll from the speech showed 100% of people will now vote conservative. :pardon:

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
    1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

That's not such a bad thing?:D

I hear one of the little people accidentally strolled in thinking it was his usual Friday night dancing class.

Archie Smith hasn't been seen since 3PM.

• Like 1
    Posted

I really hope someone is currently making a "SNP. We don't hide in village halls" banner for Stuart's photo shoot in Banchory tomorrow. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    14 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I really hope someone is currently making a "SNP. We don't hide in village halls" banner for Stuart's photo shoot in Banchory tomorrow. 

Or sandwich shops?

• Like 2
    Posted
    8 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

I can assure you that I have no anti-scottish sentiment. I voted remain and I do not want to break up the Union but will respect the Scottish Peoples decision should another referendum be held. I don't believe that now is the time to hold another referendum despite scottish Parliament's decision especially with Brexit coming up and polling still suggesting that the majority of Scot's do not want Independence. Furthermore, I do not believe that this thread is representative of Scotland as a whole ( and I don't have to live in Scotland to believe that), nor do I like the lack of tolerance on here to those who do not tow the SNP line.

Chino, I know it's a bit daft for English posters to ask each other questions on the Scottish thread, but you voted Remain and now you're quite justifiably in the majority who say that the people have spoken & we must respect their vote. The Scottish people voted for the SNP in the Scottish GE last year, who ran on a manifesto that clearly stated that if the circumstances changed e.g. by a vote for Brexit, that they could call another indipendence referendum. Why would you support the democratic will of the people in the UK, but not in Scotland? I just can't square the logical circle.

• Like 5
    Just now, davehsug said:

Chino, I know it's a bit daft for English posters to ask each other questions on the Scottish thread, but you voted Remain and now you're quite justifiably in the majority who say that the people have spoken & we must respect their vote. The Scottish people voted for the SNP in the Scottish GE last year, who ran on a manifesto that clearly stated that if the circumstances changed e.g. by a vote for Brexit, that they could call another indipendence referendum. Why would you support the democratic will of the people in the UK, but not in Scotland? I just can't square the logical circle.

I wouldn't worry  , even granite succumbs to erosion in the end  8)

Posted
    8 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Who says "Scotland" is demanding another Inde ref though Dave?

Maybe it is just the "will" of the Scots NW membs?:)

• Like 1
    Posted

I notice the BBC is describing Wembley as the "National" stadium after the Joshua fight.

Which nation are they referring too?

Posted
    2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I notice the BBC is describing Wembley as the "National" stadium after the Joshua fight.

Which nation are they referring too?

The UK......i guess.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
    27 minutes ago, davehsug said:

A good question Dave. I do not think that the sole reason that the SNP got in last year was solely on the fact that another referendum vote would be called if Brexit was voted for - and this is confirmed by the recent opinion polls on this matter. The fact remains that the sole purpose of the SNP existence is to get Scottish Independence and if it was not Brexit then it would be another reason to call another referendum.The SNP could and would put any change in circumstance to use as a tool to push another referendum. The fact is that the SNP should be showing how well they are performing in Scotland over a significant period of time before calling another Indy referendum, otherwise it smacks of opportunism. ( no better than May's opportunism)

The irony is that if Scotland had achieved Independence with the first vote there would be every chance that they would have voted themselves out of the EU and that was one of the risks they accepted. But now the risk of leaving the EU through Brexit is seen as totally unacceptable to the same people that accepted that 2 years ago. I too can't square the logical circle.

• Like 1