Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
    1 hour ago, NorthernRab said:

    The PM, the leader of our country, is literally hiding in a small hall in the countryside. She can't even face the public.

    Jesus wept.

    She has to be kept safe from the plebs!  (In a strong and stable stable!):laugh:

     

     

    Seriously, come on guys - you know who you are.   Can you honestly defend this behaviour by the Prime Minister of this beloved Union?   Because I can't and I won't!

    She isn't saving your Union for you, she's destroying it!

    C-lERwFXoAA3dvG.jpg

    Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 9
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    • Scottish-Irish Skier

      8874

    • mountain shadow

      1528

    • skifreak

      1435

    • frogesque

      1306

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

    Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

    I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
    2 minutes ago, ciel said:

    I am genuinely surprised that there is not a greater Tory/Unionist contribution on this thread. The Tories in the UK Politics section have no difficulty in expressing their views.

    One conclusion might be that Unionists are having difficulty in proposing logical reasons that Scotland should not have the right to self-determination - after all that was a major theme of the Brexit campaign - "we want our country back" and all that stuff and nonsense.

    Demographics plays a massive part. In the last YouGov poll less than 17% of under 50s are going to vote Tory while almost half of over 65s are going to vote Tory. I have a few young Tory voters on my Facebook but not one of them ever posts anything political. They'll only ever comment on other political stuff with the usual SNPbad nonsense and no real chat and definitely no answering of straight questions (as happens in here too). 

    No, if you want a debate about Tory politics in Scotland go for lunch with some older people, if you're brave enough. Be prepared to run for cover when your answer to "well you're one of these Nationalists" is "nah, I prefer the Greens, they're so much more left wing AND they support independence".

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
    21 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

    She has to be kept safe from the plebs!  (In a strong and stable stable!):laugh:

    http://www.crathes.com/hall.htm!

     

    Seriously, come on guys - you know who you are.   Can you honestly defend this behaviour by the Prime Minister of this beloved Union?   Because I can't and I won't!

    She isn't saving your Union for you, she's destroying it!

    Do you mean to say that the Head Korwa's currently 'whereabouts unknown'?:D

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Kingdom of Fife: 56.2º N, 3.2º W
  • Location: Kingdom of Fife: 56.2º N, 3.2º W
    38 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

    In a village hall near you?:rolleyes: Crathes public hall.

     

    https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7

    Suits the Tory narrative. Scots, especially 'divisive Nationalists' can be lumped in with terrorists. Security advice, can't risk attacks, our beloved leader, can't have a baby being sick on her, she might come face to face with the egg man, blah, blah!

    Truth is she is the most divisive politician around and can only front a restrictive and controlled media circus. In Fife, we call that being a feartie and a wuss. Our dog has more cajones and he had the chop 2 weeks ago!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
    9 minutes ago, frogesque said:

    Suits the Tory narrative. Scots, especially 'divisive Nationalists' can be lumped in with terrorists. Security advice, can't risk attacks, our beloved leader, can't have a baby being sick on her, she might come face to face with the egg man, blah, blah!

    Truth is she is the most divisive politician around and can only front a restrictive and controlled media circus. In Fife, we call that being a feartie and a wuss. Our dog has more cajones and he had the chop 2 weeks ago!

    Bet she's in a major strop about all that surrounding mud on her shoes!

    Edited by Blitzen
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Kingdom of Fife: 56.2º N, 3.2º W
  • Location: Kingdom of Fife: 56.2º N, 3.2º W
    5 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

    Bet she's in a major strop at all that surrounding mud on her shoes!

    Aye, pity she couldn't find an empty factory but Thatcher beat her to it and stripped the lead off them years ago

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Exile from Argyll
  • Location: Exile from Argyll

    Maybe the Beeb are doing a new series ... 'Back in time for politics'... 

    From the Beeb, quoting Mrs May...

    At the rally, she said: "My message to the people of Scotland today is clear: if you vote for me, it will strengthen my hand in the Brexit negotiations.

    From the Beeb, quoting Mr Tusk ....

    European Council President Donald Tusk, chairing the talks in Brussels, tweeted that the "firm and fair political mandate" for the talks was ready.

    The 27 leaders - UK PM Theresa May was not present - approved within a minute the guidelines first issued on 31 March by Mr Tusk.

    Edited by Gael_Force
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Inbhir Nis / Inverness - 636 ft asl
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
  • Location: Inbhir Nis / Inverness - 636 ft asl

    Lumping in pro-independence Scots with terrorists, while members of her cabinet openly talk about 'taking control of borders', nuking Russia and red white and blue Brexits. In the same week that terrorist tactics have been used against democratically elected SNP politicians in Scotland.

     

    Too good. Too, too good.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield
    1 hour ago, ciel said:

    I am genuinely surprised that there is not a greater Tory/Unionist contribution on this thread. The Tories in the UK Politics section have no difficulty in expressing their views.

    One conclusion might be that Unionists are having difficulty in proposing logical reasons that Scotland should not have the right to self-determination - after all that was a major theme of the Brexit campaign - "we want our country back" and all that stuff and nonsense.

    I suspect the reason for that is the tone of so many posts on this thread. Any non pro Scottish opinion that dares to question the messiah Sturgeon is pounced on by  you Celtic Clans and cut to pieces....I'll  be slaughtered for that one. Seriously the reason is there isn't a logical reason for Scotland not having self-determination,if it's the will of the people then it should be. We do live in a democracy don't we? Or do we?

    Edited by markyo
    miss spell,sorry
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
    3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

    (Which is more than I can say when I walked into a Scottish pub in Perth and asked for a pint)

     You have my sympathy Chiono.   We felt just as bad when we had our Scottish money rejected whilst on holiday in south east England!   Very diverse and cosmolitan?  everyone is welcomed?:rolleyes:  Everyone except us it appears!

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Why was it rejected? It's legal tender. Just stand there and let them 'Go get management' and they'll accept (in my experience anyway). I've had it a fair few times but usually my aggression quickly makes them back down. 

    3 hours ago, mardatha said:

    Why have we got English people living in England, in here arguing ? I'm not being racist, just curious. I wouldn't be interested in an English politics forum.

    That's because the English political forum is the UK thread which concerns us all. 

    I would think we would interject occasionally in a UK thread even after Scottish Independence. Members on here would do so especially if say the Tories were completely dominant on there, you'd want to provide some balance.

    1 hour ago, ciel said:

    I am genuinely surprised that there is not a greater Tory/Unionist contribution on this thread. The Tories in the UK Politics section have no difficulty in expressing their views.

    One conclusion might be that Unionists are having difficulty in proposing logical reasons that Scotland should not have the right to self-determination - after all that was a major theme of the Brexit campaign - "we want our country back" and all that stuff and nonsense.

    As Catch says, most are older and would not use the internet like the under 50s do. 

    Saying you vote SNP is also very 'in', saying you vote Tory has always come with stigma in Scotland. Most prefer to just go and vote. Most middle aged Tories I know are quiet about it and like to just comment on say Brexit or whatever. They wouldn't actually talk parties openly.

     

    I very much agree a Unionist Brexiteer is an oxymoron. Although not all Brexiteers voted on 'sovereignty' tbf. 

    1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

    Demographics plays a massive part. In the last YouGov poll less than 17% of under 50s are going to vote Tory while almost half of over 65s are going to vote Tory. I have a few young Tory voters on my Facebook but not one of them ever posts anything political. They'll only ever comment on other political stuff with the usual SNPbad nonsense and no real chat and definitely no answering of straight questions (as happens in here too). 

    No, if you want a debate about Tory politics in Scotland go for lunch with some older people, if you're brave enough. Be prepared to run for cover when your answer to "well you're one of these Nationalists" is "nah, I prefer the Greens, they're so much more left wing AND they support independence".

    Be interesting to see how that trend evolves going forwards. The left-wing politics (that was supported by the youth) of the 60s/70s did not result in 'radical' politics. Infact that age group are the very conservative over 65s in 2016/17. It isn't a given that those views die off.

    Unionism is perhaps more likely to die off by contrast due to the changing national identity of the young (as we've covered at length on here).

    Not many of my right of centre friends post anything political, it is always the left. 'Corbyn' this, 'stop the Tories' that. Just talking to themselves 24/7. Probably gonna block the Labour activist on my FB as she's doing my nut in... But will probably leave it until after the 8th of June just to see the fallout.

    Only ever met 1 Green voter in my life... Vegan, punk rocker... You know the type

    Not that I think you fit that stereotype Catch! :p 

    Edited by SW Saltire
    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
    18 minutes ago, markyo said:

    I suspect the reason for that is the tone of so many posts on this thread. Any non pro Scottish opinion that dares to question the messiah Sturgeon is pounced on by  you Celtic Clans and cut to pieces....I'll  be slaughtered for that one. Seriously the reason is there isn't a logical reason for Scotland not having self-determination,if it's the will of the people then it should be. We do live in a democracy don't we? Or do we?

    Holding the belief that Scotland should determine it's own future is just as valid as believing the Union should always remain together. Neither positions I support but people are entitled to fully support either position if they so wish and just go with their heart. I prefer something inbetween the two

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.

    SWS:

    Actually, I don't think it is legal tender- the explanations are at best ambiguous:

     

    In my experience, if you are in a smaller shop/cafe etc, if the person serving you is  the owner, then you haven't got a hope in hell! They would rather abandon the sale than accept it.   It is also very embarrassing standing arguing with a queue of people behind you.

    I did win my case once though in a larger store.   The assistant called over the supervisor who then immediately scanned it to make sure it wasn't counterfeit.  Again highly embarrassing.

    Nowadays We make sure we have English currency before we go.   :rolleyes:

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell
    39 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

    Holding the belief that Scotland should determine it's own future is just as valid as believing the Union should always remain together. Neither positions I support but people are entitled to fully support either position if they so wish and just go with their heart. I prefer something inbetween the two

    I can't entirely agree with the above, SWS.  In order to validate such a belief, folk should apply their brains to the pros and cons of the position as opposed to following pure and simple emotion, whatever is their political preference.

    The difficulty that Unionists have is that they seem to have difficulty in validating their stance - hence they simply resort to "SNP Bad".

    54 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

    Only ever met 1 Green voter in my life... Vegan, punk rocker... You know the type

    I don't know this type, and I've known a few Green supporters over the years. :)

    Edited by ciel
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Exile from Argyll
  • Location: Exile from Argyll
    12 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

    Actually, I don't think it is legal tender- the explanations are at best ambiguous:

    I remember doing a feature on this many years ago. We were dispatched to England with wads of the various Scottish bank issues and had to test a variety of situations for refusal or acceptance. IIRC, not legal tender but legal currency (an important difference) and the vendor could not be forced to accept. Generally most took the money quite happily ... maybe something to do with the cameraman who was recording the transactions. 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.

    Worrying if true:  SS?

    This appears to be a genuine question from a YouGov poll going out to selected areas of the country today. We’ve had a couple of people confirm it to us who we have no reason to disbelieve.

    The political arrangement it’s testing the waters on there is fascist dictatorship.

    God help us all.

    WoS

    ygf-768x260.jpg

    Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
    1 minute ago, ciel said:

    I can't entirely agree with the above, SWS.  In order to validate a belief, folk should apply their brains to the pros and cons of the position as opposed to following pure and simple emotion, whatever is their political preference.

    The difficulty that Unionists have is that they seem to have difficulty in validating their stance - hence they simply resort to "SNP Bad".

    I don't know this type, and I've known a few Green supporters over the years. :)

    Indeed they should, I completely agree.

    Being a Unionist because you believe in the union (full stop) is just as bad as believing Scotland should be Independent for the sake of 'self-determination'.

    There was a lot of talk of No voters being 'anti-Scottish' etc after 2014 but ultimately they just had a different opinion. I'm merely adding balance here as it seems the emotional desire for Independence is celebrated in this threat but an emotional desire to be 'a family of nations' is slated very aggressively.

    I believe both positions are incorrect and secondly, what puts an individual in the devout nationalist or unionist camp is almost certainly their national identity. You can't slate that too much.

     

    I don't understand how you don't 'understand this type'. It was also a subtle jibe as the stereotype of a 'Tory' is peddled in here so I was merely returning fire. 

    People from all walks of life vote for each party.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
    43 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

    Why was it rejected? It's legal tender. Just stand there and let them 'Go get management' and they'll accept (in my experience anyway). I've had it a fair few times but usually my aggression quickly makes them back down. 

    That's because the English political forum is the UK thread which concerns us all. 

    I would think we would interject occasionally in a UK thread even after Scottish Independence. Members on here would do so especially if say the Tories were completely dominant on there, you'd want to provide some balance.

    As Catch says, most are older and would not use the internet like the under 50s do. 

    Saying you vote SNP is also very 'in', saying you vote Tory has always come with stigma in Scotland. Most prefer to just go and vote. Most middle aged Tories I know are quiet about it and like to just comment on say Brexit or whatever. They wouldn't actually talk parties openly.

     

    I very much agree a Unionist Brexiteer is an oxymoron. Although not all Brexiteers voted on 'sovereignty' tbf. 

    Be interesting to see how that trend evolves going forwards. The left-wing politics (that was supported by the youth) of the 60s/70s did not result in 'radical' politics. Infact that age group are the very conservative over 65s in 2016/17. It isn't a given that those views die off.

    Unionism is perhaps more likely to die off by contrast due to the changing national identity of the young (as we've covered at length on here).

    Not many of my right of centre friends post anything political, it is always the left. 'Corbyn' this, 'stop the Tories' that. Just talking to themselves 24/7. Probably gonna block the Labour activist on my FB as she's doing my nut in... But will probably leave it until after the 8th of June just to see the fallout.

    Only ever met 1 Green voter in my life... Vegan, punk rocker... You know the type

    Not that I think you fit that stereotype Catch! :p 

    I've got a while to go to get with the stereotype, I'm only in the transition from SNP to Green at the moment. The Greens are the party closest to where I sit on the Political Compass, I like their people and when I read their manifesto I came away thinking "hell yes". I wouldn't know what a meal without meat is though :) 

    It'll be interesting to see 20+ years down the line where the voters are split. At the moment the gulf between the over and under 65s is incredible. Almost 50% support for the SNP in the under 65s and this is fairly uniform across the age brackets seen in the most recent YouGov poll, just 25% in the over 65s with almost 50% of them in for the Tories. 

    If people do become more likely to vote Tory over time then someone had better tell the 50-64 age group;  49% of these are planning on voting SNP with 30% Tory. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
    2 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

    The PM, the leader of our country, is literally hiding in a small hall in the countryside. She can't even face the public.

    Jesus wept.

    Fills you with faith for brexit negotiations.

    Where will she hide during them?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
    4 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

    So you dont know the EXACT circumstances. Your comment is pure politics.

    Of course it's politics. See thread title.

    It doesn't matter at all what the reasons are (read articles on the subject if you want to know, it's not my job to educate you on the world).

    English politicians are deporting people from Scotland against the will of the Scottish government / people because a large section of the English population don't like furriners. It's that simple BB. It's blackshirts stuff. There is absolutely no reason why immigration cannot be devolved immediately; the only logical explanation why it's not is so Theresa can continue to deport people she doesn't like from Scotland.

    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Stoke Gifford, Bristol
  • Location: Stoke Gifford, Bristol
    8 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

    Of course it's politics. See thread title.

    It doesn't matter at all what the reasons are (read articles on the subject if you want to know, it's not my job to educate you on the world).

    English politicians are deporting people from Scotland against the will of the Scottish government / people because a large section of the English population don't like furriners. It's that simple BB. It's blackshirts stuff. There is absolutely no reason why immigration cannot be devolved immediately; the only logical explanation why it's not is so Theresa can continue to deport people she doesn't like from Scotland.

    At the mo you are part of the UK and as it's currently not part of devolved power then one could ask why the Scottish Parliament has not already demanded it be devolved.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
  • Location: Dumfries, South West Scotland.
    57 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

    SWS:

    Actually, I don't think it is legal tender- the explanations are at best ambiguous:

     

    In my experience, if you are in a smaller shop/cafe etc, if the person serving you is  the owner, then you haven't got a hope in hell! They would rather abandon the sale than accept it.   It is also very embarrassing standing arguing with a queue of people behind you.

    I did win my case once though in a larger store.   The assistant called over the supervisor who then immediately scanned it to make sure it wasn't counterfeit.  Again highly embarrassing.

    Nowadays We make sure we have English currency before we go.   :rolleyes:

     

    Fair enough, I bow down to Gael Force's post.

    However, point stands... They should accept. No reason why not.

    I don't mind some mild suspicion and they can 'get a supervisor' if they do it quickly or whatever but it's the attitude you (sometimes) get which angers me. 

    Usually trying to embarrass them leads to a quick acceptance, I would go ballistic if I was refused. If you create enough of a scene then people will crumble.

    Shouldn't have to do that though but whatever. It is a bit cringe inducing but sometimes necessary. You have to stand up to people in certain situations imo, most folk care far too much about what other people think/their reputation (to be clear: not meaning you here! Just in general folk are weak.

    39 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

    I remember doing a feature on this many years ago. We were dispatched to England with wads of the various Scottish bank issues and had to test a variety of situations for refusal or acceptance. IIRC, not legal tender but legal currency (an important difference) and the vendor could not be forced to accept. Generally most took the money quite happily ... maybe something to do with the cameraman who was recording the transactions. 

    Noted but will continue to peddle my 'fakenews' claim when it suits me! Haha

    27 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

    I've got a while to go to get with the stereotype, I'm only in the transition from SNP to Green at the moment. The Greens are the party closest to where I sit on the Political Compass, I like their people and when I read their manifesto I came away thinking "hell yes". I wouldn't know what a meal without meat is though :) 

    It'll be interesting to see 20+ years down the line where the voters are split. At the moment the gulf between the over and under 65s is incredible. Almost 50% support for the SNP in the under 65s and this is fairly uniform across the age brackets seen in the most recent YouGov poll, just 25% in the over 65s with almost 50% of them in for the Tories. 

    If people do become more likely to vote Tory over time then someone had better tell the 50-64 age group;  49% of these are planning on voting SNP with 30% Tory. 

    Fair fair. Thought you said you and I would agree a fair bit on certain policies... Not sure how many i'd agree with the Greens on tbh (economically anyway).

    I do respect their ideal as climate change will be the single most important issue in the generation that are just being born's lifetime. That's just the sad, harsh reality. 

    However, fundamentally I do not agree with their eco-centric focus. We need techno-centric change if we are to even have half a chance of reducing the severity of this crisis. For example, there should be subsidies for using electric cars etc rather than the 'guilt trip' politics of slating people who use cars or meat eaters for thier contribution to GWG's (which is only 16% of all the GWG's - so since the world will never go vegan, our focus should be elsewhere).

    Green politics also has close links to the 'deep green' political ideologies, such as ecology etc. Ideologies with centre around 'animals are equal to us humans' and as someone of a firmly anthropocentric disposition, that is unpalatable. 

     

    It will be interesting but tbh Scotland (currently) is a weird one given the YES vs NO divide, it shapes our politics (same can be seen in England post Brexit) and so unless we become Independent and a centre-right party just emerges (which is doesn't have baggage) then I can't see more in the 50-64 age group switching too much

    Edited by SW Saltire
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
    14 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

    At the mo you are part of the UK and as it's currently not part of devolved power then one could ask why the Scottish Parliament has not already demanded it be devolved.

    Scottish parliament has asked for migration to be devolved on numerous occasions.

    Here's the most recent rejection of such a call (January this year):

    Quote

    http://www.thenational.scot/news/15038712.Westminster_rejects_calls_for_devolution_of_immigration_powers/?ref=mr&lp=17

    Westminster rejects calls for devolution of immigration powers

    THE UK Government has rejected a call to consider devolving immigration powers to Scotland and changing visa arrangements to encourage students from other countries to stay on north of the border after graduating.

     

    Quote

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38729760

    Amber Rudd rejects SNP immigration devolution calls

    The home secretary has appeared to rule out the possibility of Scotland being handed powers over immigration after the UK leaves the EU.

     

    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: North York Moors
  • Location: North York Moors
    2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

    She has to be kept safe from the plebs!  (In a strong and stable stable!):laugh:

     

     

    Seriously, come on guys - you know who you are.   Can you honestly defend this behaviour by the Prime Minister of this beloved Union?   Because I can't and I won't!

    She isn't saving your Union for you, she's destroying it!

    C-lERwFXoAA3dvG.jpg

    If she'd spoke in Edinburgh you could have complained about the cost of security to stop the inevitable organised attempts to throw stuff and turn the visit into a farce.
    Or she could stay away then you could say ignores Scotland altogther.
    What would you prefer she did.
    Apart from emigrate and become Trumps mistres perhaps.
    Answer came there none.
    It's clear there can't be any reasoned debate because SNP is in a state of constant seething hatred  against UK/England/Tories/Labour - especially now it's clear their support is slipping away (wonder why).
    Voting SNP means your voice is largely ignored at Westminster, because they only have one issue on the agenda and can barely contribute anything constructive on any other subject

     

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: North York Moors
  • Location: North York Moors
    48 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

    I remember doing a feature on this many years ago. We were dispatched to England with wads of the various Scottish bank issues and had to test a variety of situations for refusal or acceptance. IIRC, not legal tender but legal currency (an important difference) and the vendor could not be forced to accept. Generally most took the money quite happily ... maybe something to do with the cameraman who was recording the transactions. 

    It probably depends where you go, a lot of Scots seem to holiday on the Yorkshire coast especially Scarborough so Scottish notes are often circulating here and not unusual to get one back in change.
    Most places woud hardy look twice at them.
     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
    21 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

    Fair enough, I bow down to Gael Force's post.

    However, point stands... They should accept. No reason why not.

    I don't mind some mild suspicion and they can 'get a supervisor' if they do it quickly or whatever but it's the attitude you (sometimes) get which angers me. 

    Usually trying to embarrass them leads to a quick acceptance, I would go ballistic if I was refused. If you create enough of a scene then people will crumble.

    Shouldn't have to do that though but whatever. It is a bit cringe inducing but sometimes necessary. You have to stand up to people in certain situations imo, most folk care far too much about what other people think/their reputation (to be clear: not meaning you here! Just in general folk are weak.

    Noted but will continue to peddle my 'fakenews' claim when it suits me! Haha

    Fair fair. Thought you said you and I would agree a fair bit on certain policies... Not sure how many i'd agree with the Greens on tbh (economically anyway).

    I do respect their ideal as climate change will be the single most important issue in the generation that are just being born's lifetime. That's just the sad, harsh reality. 

    However, fundamentally I do not agree with their eco-centric focus. We need techno-centric change if we are to even have half a chance of reducing the severity of this crisis. For example, there should be subsidies for using electric cars etc rather than the 'guilt trip' politics of slating people who use cars or meat eaters for thier contribution to GWG's (which is only 16% of all the GWG's - so since the world will never go vegan, our focus should be elsewhere).

    Green politics also has close links to the 'deep green' political ideologies, such as ecology etc. Ideologies with centre around 'animals are equal to us humans' and as someone of a firmly anthropocentric disposition, that is unpalatable. 

     

    It will be interesting but tbh Scotland (currently) is a weird one given the YES vs NO divide, it shapes our politics (same can be seen in England post Brexit) and so unless we become Independent and a centre-right party just emerges (which is doesn't have baggage) then I can't see more in the 50-64 age group switching too much

    Have you read any of the Green's manifestos? I wouldn't have thought I'd end up voting for them, I wouldn't have thought 20 years ago that I'd have ever voted SNP either...maybe I'll end up voting Tory in my old age after all?? 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...