Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can assure y'all of one thing: there are plenty us down here with exactly the same view of things!

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

#Highlandclearances

Seems immigrants living in Scotland are still too close too for May's Tories to stomach.

---

EDIT

This is a great example of how the 'SNP control the Scottish economy'.

Here, we have England actively evicting 'hard working families' who run businesses from Scotland.

So - would an independent Scotland not have any criteria as to who would be allowed to reside in Scotland?

It is amazing what this thread drags up to justify it's SNP agenda and then the SNP 'clique' all join in together.

Perhaps a little hint of anti Englishness here, that you have always been trying hard to deny SS? Because this is a non story. 

'Immigrants fail to meet UK immigration criteria and are deported from the UK' 

is all it is. I am sad for the family that they haven't but there is no point in having  immigration criteria if you are not willing to enforce it

• Like 2
    Posted

I don't know  (oh the irony) where it was  that the PM didn't appear to know where she was.   It crossed my mind what would happen if whilst up in the north east today (somewhere) she was told where she was but couldn't pronounce it.

It made me think of this :   Still relevant to this day!   (You will possibly remember this Ed as I put it up years ago when you were still in Inverness)    So funny....... 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=desperate+call+centre&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=L4IEWYyPF8zU8ge1lrmwAg

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 2
    Posted
    19 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

So - would an independent Scotland not have any criteria as to who would be allowed to reside in Scotland?

It is amazing what this thread drags up to justify it's SNP agenda and then the SNP 'clique' all join in together.

Perhaps a little hint of anti Englishness here, that you have always been trying hard to deny SS? Because this is a non story. 

is all it is. I am sad for the family that they haven't but there is no point in having  immigration criteria if you are not willing to enforce it

Of course. These wouldn't involve evicting people from England because Scots decided they didn't like foreigners. I would hope they'd not be arbitrary (ergo xenophobic) as the 'UK criteria' are, rather were sensible and on a 'case by case' basis.

You call these 'UK criteria' when they were not decided by the UK (Scotland + England(+Wales)), they were decided by England without any devolved government consultation / agreement and are being applied to Scotland. People are being forcibly evicted from Scotland against the will of its inhabitants and government.

It's doing serious damage to the Scottish economy.

Immigration could be devolved tomorrow, but for some reason England wants to decide who can and can't be in Scotland. I'm guessing it's simply because they don't like foreigners as there is no other logical explanation?? A Scottish visa is perfectly workable given Scotland operates under a completely different legal system with clearly defined borders, public services etc.

Is that not undoubtedly anti-Scottish? There is absolutely no reason not to devolve immigration.

Nice attempt at a personal attack here btw. I'm more than happy state things as they are; this is the English government evicting people from Scotland. No bones about it. Straight up. May et al. want to cut the numbers so satisfy their swivel eyed vote, so families with kids in Scotland will be kicked out.

So yes, I'm anti-English government on this one. Nothing to do with Bob from Manchester though; not unless he personally supports evicting people from Scotland against the wishes of Scots.

If the Scottish, Welsh and N. Irish governments all had an equal say in criteria and/or immigration was devolved, I've have no argument / bone to pick here.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 9
    Posted
    11 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I don't know  (oh the irony) whether it was a town in Derby/Leeds that the PM didn't appear to know where she was.   It crossed my mind what would happen if whilst up in the north east (somewhere) she was told where she was but couldn't pronounce it.

It made me think of this :   Still pertinent to this day!   (You will possibly remember this Ed as I put it up years ago when you were still in Inverness)    So funny....... 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=desperate+call+centre&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=L4IEWYyPF8zU8ge1lrmwAg

Aye, thanks for that Blitz. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes!:rofl:

Posted
    8 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

These are very unjustified and caustic comments, again demonstrating a lack of knowledge concerning local ( Scottish) circumstances. 

Scotland needs and values immigration, and would, I'm sure, following independence, adopt a quite different immigration policy from England,  in particular, free movement of labour from the EU.

• Like 6
    Posted

So does anyone know the FULL story about the Canadians being deported? Just wondered.

What are the EXACT circumstances?

Posted
    1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

So does anyone know the FULL story about the Canadians being deported? Just wondered.

What are the EXACT circumstances?

Theresa wants them gone.

She has the final say in this very high profile case.

• Like 1
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Theresa wants them gone.

She has the final say in this very high profile case.

So you dont know the EXACT circumstances. Your comment is pure politics.

• Like 2
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, ciel said:

These are very unjustified and caustic comments, again demonstrating a lack of knowledge concerning local ( Scottish) circumstances. 

Scotland needs and values immigration, and would, I'm sure, following independence, adopt a quite different immigration policy from England,  in particular, free movement of labour from the EU.

The comments were neither unjustified or caustic, ciel and neither were they personal SS.

Surely, it is obvious on grounds of national security that Scotland can't be allowed to have a different immigration policy than the rest of the UK, and it is not because the English want to chuck hard working families out of Scotland, so to suggest it is I find bizarre and hence my point.

And SS you suggest this:

Immigration could be devolved tomorrow, but for some reason England wants to decide who can and can't be in Scotland. I'm guessing it's simply because they don't like foreigners as there is no other logical explanation??

Really? No other logical explanation? We just don't like foreigners! Haha. Have you been to London recently? - a great diverse Cosmopolitan city where everyone is welcomed irrespective of nationality. And Scots are made to feel welcome too! (Which is more than I can say when I once walked into a Scottish pub in Perth and asked for a pint! lol)

• Like 2
    Posted

(Which is more than I can say when I walked into a Scottish pub in Perth and asked for a pint)

You have my sympathy Chiono.   We felt just as bad when we had our Scottish money rejected whilst on holiday in south east England!   Very diverse and cosmolitan?  everyone is welcomed?:rolleyes:  Everyone except us it appears!

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted
    52 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

The comments were neither unjustified or caustic, ciel and neither were they personal SS.

Surely, it is obvious on grounds of national security that Scotland can't be allowed to have a different immigration policy than the rest of the UK, and it is not because the English want to chuck hard working families out of Scotland, so to suggest it is I find bizarre and hence my point.

And SS you suggest this:

Immigration could be devolved tomorrow, but for some reason England wants to decide who can and can't be in Scotland. I'm guessing it's simply because they don't like foreigners as there is no other logical explanation??

Really? No other logical explanation? We just don't like foreigners! Haha. Have you been to London recently? - a great diverse Cosmopolitan city where everyone is welcomed irrespective of nationality. And Scots are made to feel welcome too! (Which is more than I can say when I once walked into a Scottish pub in Perth and asked for a pint! lol)

We have an open border with Ireland (which has an open border with the EU).

Scotland also has its own police, law and courts (= national security) which are the responsibility of the Scottish government.

So your national security excuse is rubbish.

EDIT

Oh, and I imagine the Canadian family discussed here were not evicted on national security grounds.

---

Well provide an explanation.

Is it not because May has set target to reduce the numbers of people like my wife who are in the UK? What was it, down to tens of thousands?

My wife remains under threat of deportation by Theresa. The Lords tried to help, but the Tories overruled them.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Why have we got English people living in England, in here arguing ? I'm not being racist, just curious. I wouldn't be interested in an English politics forum.

• Like 1
    Posted
    11 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Why have we got English people living in England, in here arguing ? I'm not being racist, just curious. I wouldn't be interested in an English politics forum.

We're not shutting up and eating our cereal! 

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Because i'm a UK citizen and Scotland is part of the Union.

• Like 1
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

We're not shutting up and eating our cereal!

You're just like us remoaners? We won't shut up when we're told, either!

• Like 2
    Posted
    29 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

SS has dealt with the security issue you raise.

But why do so many english folk arrogantly assume that their policy decisions are supreme and should be adopted by all and sundry?  If Scotland considers that she will benefit from inward migration,  Scottish policy should reflect this irrespective of the apparent english dislike of foreigners. 

On that note, your posts on this thread do sometimes appear to be tainted with anti-scottish sentiment.

Edited by ciel
    • Like 8
    Posted
    45 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

So you dont know the EXACT circumstances. Your comment is pure politics.

The exact circumstances are it is a nasty, spiteful piece of UK legislation that is inappropriate for most rural and Highland needs. Maybe OKish in London or Bristol but not a small isolated community.

The real nasty side of this is that someone will be rubbing their grubby hands looking to pick up this property for a song and turn it into a second home or holiday lets. 

More than a bit sick of the patronising English attitude from some quarters and I was born in Surrey and lived there until I was in my late teens. Make laws to suit England by all means but if the system can't be flexible then leave Scotland out. We can decide for ourselves who is welcome and who is not.

• Like 6
    Posted
    50 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

London, like Scotland voted to remain in the EU.  That's not true I'm afraid for the large swathes of england which voted to leave. That daft illogical referendum result has only served to create a complete UK fiasco and to make divisions about the future paths of the component countries more acute.

Posted

In a village hall near you?:rolleyes: Crathes public hall.

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted
    39 minutes ago, ciel said:

SS has dealt with the security issue you raise.

But why do so many english folk arrogantly assume that their policy decisions are supreme and should be adopted by all and sundry?  If Scotland considers that she will benefit from inward migration,  Scottish policy should reflect this irrespective of the apparent english dislike of foreigners. 

On that note, your posts on this thread do sometimes appear to be tainted with anti-scottish sentiment.

I can assure you that I have no anti-scottish sentiment. I voted remain and I do not want to break up the Union but will respect the Scottish Peoples decision should another referendum be held. I don't believe that now is the time to hold another referendum despite scottish Parliament's decision especially with Brexit coming up and polling still suggesting that the majority of Scot's do not want Independence. Furthermore, I do not believe that this thread is representative of Scotland as a whole ( and I don't have to live in Scotland to believe that), nor do I like the lack of tolerance on here to those who do not tow the SNP line.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The PM, the leader of our country, is literally hiding in a small hall in the countryside. She can't even face the public.

Jesus wept.

• Like 7
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I can assure you that I have no anti-scottish sentiment. I voted remain and I do not want to break up the Union but will respect the Scottish Peoples decision should another referendum be held. I don't believe that now is the time to hold another referendum despite scottish Parliament's decision especially with Brexit coming up and polling still suggesting that the majority of Scot's do not want Independence. Furthermore, I do not believe that this thread is representative of Scotland as a whole ( and I don't have to live in Scotland to believe that), nor do I like the lack of tolerance on here to those who do not tow the SNP line.

I am genuinely surprised that there is not a greater Tory/Unionist contribution on this thread. The Tories in the UK Politics section have no difficulty in expressing their views.

One conclusion might be that Unionists are having difficulty in proposing logical reasons that Scotland should not have the right to self-determination - after all that was a major theme of the Brexit campaign - "we want our country back" and all that stuff and nonsense.

Posted
    7 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

No one (well maybe the Tories) wants an IRef tomorrow. The SG have made it clear and they have a democratic majority mandate at Holyrood to put an independence referendum to the Scottish peoples once the Brexit terms are clear but before Scotland is forced out of the EU.

If folk want to stay in the UK they can vote NO, if they want Independence they they can vote YES. That's the way democracy is supposed to work. Unless of course folk wh don't live and work here think they know best and can hold the Union together by force.

That would be quickest way to a divorce.