Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
    50 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

All developing as expected. Growth fallen by over half in Q1.

The SNP need to use their 'control over the economy' to solve this.

The other week on here, in this thread, you and others told me the SNP have no control over Scot's economy and it was all Westminster's fault that Scot economic growth was well behind rest of UK - make your mind up.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

The other week on here, in this thread, you and others told me the SNP have no control over Scot's economy and it was all Westminster's fault that Scot economic growth was well behind rest of UK - make your mind up.

This remains true. 

Brexit is now hitting the UK and Scotland as predicted (you being the one to point out the damage to Scotland I note). Tory policy damaging both. 

Why do you think my position has changed?

Note the SNP are not responsible for sarcasm / irony. That remains a reserved matter.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

I find it quite ironic that some accuse the SNP of playing politics and doing whats just best for the SNP. Even if that was true the last time I looked the Tories aren't exactly doing anything different and their obsession with themselves led to the EU referendum and the subsequent fall out and its a free country if Scots don't like what the SNP are doing then people wouldn't vote for them.

It seems to me that some are setting different standards.

Posted
    5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

This remains true. 

Brexit is now hitting the UK and Scotland as predicted (you being the one to point out the damage to Scotland I note). Tory policy damaging both. 

Why do you think my position has changed?

Note the SNP are not responsible for sarcasm / irony. That remains a reserved matter.

Moving the goalposts again SS. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
    3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I find it quite ironic that some accuse the SNP of playing politics and doing whats just best for the SNP. Even if that was true the last time I looked the Tories aren't exactly doing anything different and their obsession with themselves led to the EU referendum and the subsequent fall out and its a free country if Scots don't like what the SNP are doing then people wouldn't vote for them.

It seems to me that some are setting different standards.

Well the GE will show that then. I suspect that the SNP will have a reduced majority as the Scottish electorate start to see that Independence and the SNP agenda is far more important to the SNP than providing the services in Scotland that Scotland deserve.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
    10 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Well the GE will show that then. I suspect that the SNP will have a reduced majority as the Scottish electorate start to see that Independence and the SNP agenda is far more important to the SNP than providing the services in Scotland that Scotland deserve.

Yet you'll ignore the fact that the vast majority of the Scottish population will reject the Tories at the ballotbox.

Double standards as usual.

• Like 3
    Posted
    27 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

It makes no difference how Scots vote anyway

58 of 59 Scottish MPs voted against Article 50 being triggered and triggered it was.

Whether the SNP 56 or 46 makes nothing.

• Like 5
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Moving the goalposts again SS. 

Wooooooosh! 

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    5 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

You should come to Scotland and use the services provided. I can't think of much to complain about at all, but I'm lucky and don't have to use social services. 

Everything I use works fine. If I wanted a GP appointment I can phone at 8am and get seen today. A friend at work was commenting yesterday how quickly their hospital appointment came through. My bins get collected like clock work. The once in the last five years I called on the police they were attentive and followed up twice to make sure I got a decent resolution. My kids are getting on fine at school, my eldest started high school last August and has gone from being a daft & timid wee boy to a wiser young man with a lot of that being down to the school. There are huge infrastructure projects being completed across the country. I simply don't see this complete lack of services which you claim. Where are the services lacking? Can you give proper examples and not just "it said so in the *anti-SNP* paper"? As has been said elsewhere simply saying "better schools, better health, better transport" aren't policies, so what policies should be introduced to make life better for us in Scotland?

You sound like my Dad the way you bleat on about the SNP. My Dad goes on about how bad the SNP are but doesn't hesitate to heavily use a lot of the services and freebies which the SNP have been responsible for. What he really means is "I'm a BritNat and I don't want the UK being broken up". 

• Like 6
    Posted
    9 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

Erm, we voted on the public services the SNP are responsible for delivering last year (2016 General Election).

They got 47% of the vote and more MSPs than Lab + Lib + Con combined. Currently they and the pro-indy Greens hold a parliamentary majority under PR.

In June's UKGE, we are voting on services the Tories currently deliver and we Scots don't get a say in because we are Scottish, no matter who we vote for (particularly since EVEL).

At present, polls suggest more than 70% will give a big thumbs down to the Tories here, and that's with Tory voters having an actual reason to vote (strange misconceived belief they can change the result of the 2016 Scottish GE, rather than accepting it and moving on), while everyone else doesn't really because of the current anti-Scots apartheid that exists in Westminster. 

I think you need to read up on the UK to better understand what different elections mean / what is devolved and what is reserved in terms of public services etc.

It might help you understand the situation better. 

---

To help, here are the things Scots are not voting on this June in terms of direct public services:

Police and fire services

NHS

Education (all levels)

Courts / prisons

Transport

Infrastructure

Some limited welfare

Some very limited taxes

Here is what their vote for Westminster MPs will be able to influence post June by contrast:

Unionist media / party narrative

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 6
    Posted

Ruth's been an MSP for many years, she knows the rules very well.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    33 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Ruth's been an MSP for many years, she knows the rules very well.

Oh come on, rules only apply if you are not the Tories. As far as elections go that's become quite apparent. 

As far as services go, I'm in agreement with @CatchMyDrift in that I can't really think of anything much to complain about. Honestly, I'm not just saying that because I'm in thrall to the SNP or something. Ok, as always, some of the roads could do with attention but no more so than normal. 

Anyway as you point out, in Scotland the GEFS is only about 'reserved' matters and we'll have little or no say on those whether we return 69 SNP or 69 Tories to Westminster. 

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Will Theresa wear protection today on her visits.

IMG_6895.JPG

Posted
    29 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

IMG_6895.JPG

No need. She never meets the public face to face.

She likes to be kept from them; only attends carefully choreographed events where no questions are allowed (unless scripted).

Been the story of her campaign so far. 

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/04/28/theresa-mays-pitiful-election-campaign-earned-new-nickname-shes-not-going-like-video/

Theresa May’s pitiful election campaign has earned her a new nickname. And she’s not going to like it 

People have started to notice something weird about Theresa May’s campaign events for the 8 June general election. They almost all take place in empty factories, with invited visitors bussed in. This has prompted a new nickname: Kim Jong May. For its likeness to the propaganda style of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.

Kim Jong May

May’s campaign events barely enthused the invitation-only guests, let alone the country. The stream of images on the campaign trail show one empty factory after another. So some bright spark stitched together the images into a North Korean style propaganda video.

:)

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted
    9 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

It wouldn't matter if the SNP stood for every seat in the GE and returned over 600 MPs, any and all attempts to promote an independent Scotland would be blocked and frustrated by the dark Establishment and the unelected HoL. Its how democracy works in the wonderful UK.

If the UK is so beneficial to Scotland then those dark forces need to come into the open and say exactly why the Union is so good. We know full well what Westminster get from Scotland, what do we get in return?

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    3 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

IMG_6895.JPG

I think only the 'chosen few' know exactly where she will be?    THAT'S her protection!

Can't understand it myself as according to Ruth the Mooth, TM knows Scots better than NS!

Hope she shoots herself in the foot with this attitude!

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted

Name calling trend this morning, Sturgeon is funny without being changed :D

• Like 1
    Posted

Given the recent 'SNP out / Tories in!' terrorist attacks, you'd think May could relax while SNP politician movements had to be kept under wraps.

• Like 7
    Posted

#Highlandclearances

Seems immigrants living in Scotland are still too close too for May's Tories to stomach.

---

EDIT

This is a great example of how the 'SNP control the Scottish economy'.

Here, we have England actively evicting 'hard working families' who run businesses from Scotland.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is it true that should Mrs May actually touch an immigrant she'll melt?

Edited by Ed Stone
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

IMG_6895.JPG

I hope so. If the poor must take it up the proverbial, then she should at least play it safe.

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Is it true that should Mrs May actually touch an immigrant, she'll melt?

No I believe it's water you're thinking of.

• Like 1
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Is it true that should Mrs May actually touch an immigrant, she'll melt?

Apparently a bucket of water would do just as well?

images.jpe

• Like 1
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

No I believe it's water you're thinking of.

Oh dear!    the mindset of us Scots.....lol.... both posted practically the same thing at the same time!

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1