Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Worth viewing.   Quite informative:

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    12 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

I won't :)

Whew. :)

I'm not wanting SNP voters getting likes from Rob48. :wink:

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

We should find out tomorrow I think, who will be running against Fluffy Mundell in June.   Lesley Riddoch could paper the walls with him but I doubt she would be interested.

Close  call Brexitwise in D&G was it not?   She is obviously a remainer and would, I'm sure, be able to instill more confidence in many doubters.

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

We should find out tomorrow I think, who will be running against Fluffy Mundell in June.   Lesley Riddoch would paper the walls with him but I doubt she would be interested.

Close  call Brexitwise in D&G.   She is obviously a remainer and would, I'm sure, be able to instill confidence in many doubters.

As others so like to point out about voting for parties and whether that means you support 'Independence'...

Only ~half of Leave 2016 voters plan to vote Tory in June according to the latest polls. A pretty feeble endorsement of May's vision for this it seems.

I've said before that many Scots 'Leave' voters in no way shape or form endorse brexit; they want e.g. a Norway style EEA Scexit mainly.* The hardcore swivel-eyed British brexiters are the main Leave group backing the Tories in these parts. Loyalists, NF, BNP etc.

---

*Although voting brexit was a stupid way of voting for e.g. an independent EEA Scotland as a brexit vote can be portrayed as a vote for the UK when it was not at all.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
    18 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

As others so like to point out about voting for parties and whether that means you support 'Independence'...

Only ~half of Leave 2016 voters plan to vote Tory in June according to the latest polls. A pretty feeble endorsement of May's vision for this it seems.

I've said before that many Scots 'Leave' voters in no way shape or form endorse brexit; they want e.g. a Norway style EEA Scexit mainly.* The hardcore swivel-eyed British brexiters are the main Leave group backing the Tories in these parts. Loyalists, NF, BNP etc.

---

*Although voting brexit was a stupid way of voting for e.g. an independent EEA Scotland as a brexit vote can be portrayed as a vote for the UK when it was not at all.

Didn't realise this SS.   Must bode well for Indeyref2?

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
    17 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Didn't realise this SS.   Must bode well for Indeyref2 surely?

Most likely yes. I've said this before, but it's worth saying again.

At the moment, a majority of the Scots electorate either have previously voted for independence in 2014, or are saying they would vote for it tomorrow morning (iref polls). Most Scots are indy backers*.

However, some who voted for it in 2014 are saying they're not sure about voting for it tomorrow and some are saying they've vote No tomorrow. In a couple of years time though? That's different; e.g. polls asking about voting for an indy Scotland in the EU post brexit gives a majority for this.

I'd be very surprised if most people who ostensibly back independence - and voted for it with conviction in 2014 - ever vote against it. Some are saying 'we need to wait a bit, see what happens with brexit' etc. Some are trying to pressure for a Scexit by saying they might not vote for indy if it means EU. However, when it comes to it, that's highly unlikely. If your support for independence trumps the EU question, you'll vote for indy even if it means EU, at least initially. If you back leaving the EU over Scottish indy, it's unlikely you are an independence backer in the first place.

Anyway, this* is why we are reaching end game and we are now down to the UK trying to stop or delay a referendum because firm support for the UK is now in minority. 

EDIT

The apparent rise in Tory support also foretells the beginning of the end. It might be freaking folk that the Tories could appear to be making ground, but it is actually a sign of the end; the last unionist stand. The media will try to paint it otherwise. For example, our last couple of polls gave a 2011 esq landslide result for the SNP (labour came just 13% behind the SNP in that election), yet the media portrayed this a disaster of some form. :)

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lesley Riddoch would be a great choice to go up against Mundell as she's well known and would probably get good coverage in the MSM. However I also think it's better for the Independence cause to have people like her, articulate, knowledgeable, passionate, who are not MPs or MSPs as it gives a different dimension to the movement.

• Like 3
    Posted

In light of the alleged electoral fraud investigations currently taking place, and after Peter Lilley's nauseating retirement speech to the devine Ms M in the HOC yesterday  praising her current and future Premiership,  this situation for me is even more worrying.  He has had the contract for the local 2017 elections for some considerable time. and no doubt he will pick up the contract for the General Election as well.

I did raise this issue with Annabelle Ewing, my MSP and received a reply stating that  apx 4/5 choices of contracts are available to local councils to choose from and the choice made is the soul responsibility of the Returning Officer.

The complaint received that they refer to in the article was raised by me.

I think this is just another situation that stinks to high heaven and cannot for the life of me think why a possible 'conflict of Interest' issue, after having been raised, has not been passed on to the Electoral Commission for investigation.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14478267.Concerns_raised_over_senior_Tory_MP_link_to_election_count_firm/ 

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted

Jeez.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/413804/forfar-town-centre-locked-politically-motivated-anthrax-threat/

Forfar town centre locked down after politically-motivated anthrax threat

Forfar town centre was plunged into lockdown after a letter with an alleged anthrax threat was delivered to council offices.

It is understood the letter indicated it contained spores of the disease, along with the message “Get SNP out. Tories in”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/925897/forfar-anthrax-threat-snp-tory/

'ANTHRAX' DRAMA Forfar locked down after ‘anthrax threat’ in letter saying ‘Get SNP out. Tories in’ sent to council

FORFAR was locked down after an “anthrax threat” was made in a letter saying “Get SNP out. Tories in” was sent to the council.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Hopefully transpires that the parcel was a fake.

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Hopefully transpires that the parcel was a fake.

I hope so too.

I can't see any coverage of this apparent terrorist incident on the BBC?

It's in a few papers.

When an egg flew in Jim Murphy's direction it was headline news for days.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

I hope so too.

It's in a few papers.

Call me cynical but I reckon those eggs were planned and expected.   He didn't even turn around.  How did he know it was thrown by a Nationalist?  

Guy was charged and got 80 hrs communiy service.   I bet he was well paid for taking a fall!   Right at the end of the vid. Murphy said he would not be silenced by a Nationalist.

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted

Latest terror alert in Whitehall, London. All sounds very pat and contrived. Just a covert training exercise,false flag or a real event?

Don't trust journalism or Govt. anymore, which, in its own way, is pretty dreadful.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

IMG_6877.PNG

Edited by Mark wheeler
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    54 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

IMG_6877.PNG

I was just coming in to post this link:

http://www.parliament.scot/newsandmediacentre/104573.aspx

But you have beaten me to it. 

How will I cope with all this voting?

It's going to be interesting comparing the votes for the MP v MSP. Logically the same people voting on the same day should give equal voter splits, although it depends on which parties stand in both elections. Has there been a precedent where an MP and a MSP were voted upon on the same day by the same constituents? 

Edit: My brain has clicked into life, it's a different franchise for both votes. So scrub the above. Interesting comparison all the same.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    • Like 1
    Posted
    23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I was just coming in to post this link:

http://www.parliament.scot/newsandmediacentre/104573.aspx

But you have beaten me to it. 

How will I cope with all this voting?

It's going to be interesting comparing the votes for the MP v MSP. Logically the same people voting on the same day should give equal voter splits, although it depends on which parties stand in both elections. Has there been a precedent where an MP and a MSP were voted upon on the same day by the same constituents? 

According to Pete Wishart SNP MP, He said John Lamont was a 'good guy'.   Which is probably why he had to get out of Holyrood having  Ruthie as his boss.   

Not liked by much of her squad apparently.   We will find out tomorrow who is to replace him.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

The BBC finally seem to have a story on it, which makes absolutely no mention of the political party the 'substance' was sent to, or the message on at least one packet. I'm trying very, very hard not to let my own allegiances cloud my judgement but it appears that the BBC just can't help themselves and are deliberately withholding some of the facts of the story. Why do so when they are readily available elsewhere?

-------

Police have issued security advice after "suspicious packages" were sent to a Scottish MP, a council building and a political party headquarters.

Officers said the "white powder type substance" was delivered between 25 and 26 April.

They said the packages were "associated with the forthcoming UK general election".

Those who received the packages include MP John Nicolson and an Angus Council building in Forfar.

Officers were called to Mr Nicolson's office in East Dunbartonshire on Tuesday afternoon, while emergency services attended at Angus Council's municipal buildings in Forfar on Wednesday.

Police advice has been sent to all elected representatives across Scotland.

The guidance includes actions that MPs, MSPs, councillors and their staff should take if suspicious mail is received at their offices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39738784

Posted
    29 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

The BBC finally seem to have a story on it, which makes absolutely no mention of the political party the 'substance' was sent to, or the message on at least one packet. I'm trying very, very hard not to let my own allegiances cloud my judgement but it appears that the BBC just can't help themselves and are deliberately withholding some of the facts of the story. Why do so when they are readily available elsewhere?

-------

Police have issued security advice after "suspicious packages" were sent to a Scottish MP, a council building and a political party headquarters.

Officers said the "white powder type substance" was delivered between 25 and 26 April.

They said the packages were "associated with the forthcoming UK general election".

Those who received the packages include MP John Nicolson and an Angus Council building in Forfar.

Officers were called to Mr Nicolson's office in East Dunbartonshire on Tuesday afternoon, while emergency services attended at Angus Council's municipal buildings in Forfar on Wednesday.

Police advice has been sent to all elected representatives across Scotland.

The guidance includes actions that MPs, MSPs, councillors and their staff should take if suspicious mail is received at their offices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39738784

Sky rolling ticker on its news program have mentioned three packages sent to SNP on 26/27th. April.

Odd the State Broadcaster has been so reticent yet the latest London incident in Whitehall has almost wall to wall coverage.

Guess their Scotchland region just isn't important.

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 2
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Sky rolling timer on its news program have mentioned three packages sent to SNP on 26/27th. April.

Odd the State Broadcaster has been so reticent yet the latest London incident in Whitehall has almost wall to wall coverage.

Guess their Scotchland region just isn't important.

STV on it:

https://stv.tv/news/scotland/1386953-msps-on-alert-as-white-powder-sent-to-politicians/

Posted
    23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Finally BBC give it the briefest of brief mention on the News Chanel at around 6.20pm.

Posted

Someone help me please. If the SNP take John Lamont's seat it's 64 SNP MSPs? Opposition have 64 in total? 

The Tories must have some cast iron private polling to risk that surely? 

Posted
    10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Someone help me please. If the SNP take John Lamont's seat it's 64 SNP MSPs? Opposition have 64 in total? 

The Tories must have some cast iron private polling to risk that surely? 

Yes one would think so.

Posted
    1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Yes one would think so.

It's a strange seat, Tory for Holyrood by a huge margin but LibDem then SNP for Westminster from a fairly similar geographic area. We'll soon find out but higher turnout seems to favour the SNP. 

I expect both the Holyrood seat and the Westminster seat to go to the Tories. 

Posted
    5 hours ago, scottish skier said:

I hope so too.

It's in a few papers.

Yeah, but that was funny :D 

An anthrax hoax isnt.  And we need more funny news!