Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    9 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

. Ruth Davidson should concentrate on all of this and try not to even mention independence Her message should   concentrate on delivering what she thinks is best for Scotland. Put the negative and bitter politics in the bin because being bitter only makes her looks bitter and does nothing to increase her popularity to those that may not warm to her. She will get a far better response from those who have yet to be won over both north and south of the border. 

A few tweaks to your post Chiono'   and this is how I see it i'm afraid.:)

With respect, you can't possibly know how things are progressing up here because you don't live here.   The image being put forward by the MSM re the lack of Nicola Sturgeon's popularity happens to be a pure propaganda campaign.

Given the opportunity, she is merely warning the population of what to expect should the Tories win because the biased MSM makes it as difficult for her to get her message across  through lies, distortion and misrepresentation.

One can only assume that Westminster is running scared when such tactics have to be used against her.

The BBC are an absolute disgrace which is why many in Scotland refuse to pay the licence.  Newspaper circulation has gone through the floor.   People refuse to pay to be lied to.

Ruth Davidson,  you may be surprised to learn,  is considered by many up here to be a disgustingly arrogant, ignorant bully of an individual  but alas is backed to the hilt by and through every media avenue available.   The woman is beneath contempt and, I can assure you, will be dropped like a sack of potatoes by Tory Westminster should  Scotland be lost.  They are only using her (and her mouth) as a tool against the Scottish Government.   Nicola is more than able for her though.

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 6
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    9 hours ago, 4wd said:

Is this some sort of joke, the Scottish Nasty Party is incapable of going a day without some sniping about Tories/Westminster/Engand which they seem to think all the same thing.

That may be the case about the SNP going on about Tories and Westminster, but there are valid policy items in the mix too from the SNP. The point I was making is that the Tories in Scotland have only one policy and that's to stamp their feet and shout SNPbadNoReferendum and that's pretty miserable stuff. As I keep saying, perhaps we could be told what the Tory policy is on national debt? It's out of control at over £1,800,000,000,000 but no one wants to talk about Tory mismanagement of the UK public finances. In 2010 we were told the Tories would be the only party who could fix it and they haven't. They campaigned in 2010 on a ticket of "New Labour have doubled the debt in 13 years" but now look, the Tories have shaved several years off that record. 

Posted
    8 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Too true Chiono. Comment after comment in the 'have your say' sections of the various newspapers are saying that Nicola Sturgeon wants extra powers but hasn't even shown she can use the ones she does have effectively. Seems to be a turning tide against the SNP and more especially Sturgeon at present.

Another common theme within the comments was her desperation which is becoming increasingly apparent as she realises she is at real risk of losing seats to the Conservatives.

Ah, those well known bastions of balanced opinion, newspaper comments sections. Most of them are to unionism what this thread is to independencism. All I'm hearing from actual normal proper people who live in Scotland is a polarisation towards the Tories and SNP. Quite a few hardcore Labour one step away from SNP. Quite a few hardcore unionists voting Tory for one issue and one issue alone. The loathing of NS is from hardcore unionists, a lot of other folk love her to bits. My wife who takes no interest in politics and doesn't vote said the other day she quite likes NS. 

You should come and visit instead of taking opinions from newspapers and TV. We won't bite too hard :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    4 minutes ago, ciel said:

I note on this thread, that the all vitriol against NS is spouted by those from the outside looking in at Scotland and whose pearls of wisdom concerning the Scottish issues is sourced from biased news agencies.   I would welcome views on this forum from a  Scottish Tory/ unionist who has experience of living and working here, but the only one, who apparently did, and whom I can remember recently, was clearly a “plant”/ troll.

Someone wrote recently on here in connection with a separate topic, that “England might lose Scotland”. This idea was not expressed as “the UK might lose Scotland” or “Scotland might gain independence” and for me epitomises the misinformed, patronising and arrogant attitude of many English posters who choose to come onto the Scottish thread simply to advise Scots of their poor leadership or supposed folly.

I was thinking along similar lines, ciel: indeed, I sometimes wonder whether some of the plethora of self-proclaimed 'experts on Bonnie Scotland' have even set foot in the place, let alone lived there?

Perhaps vicarious expertise and post-truthism go hand in hand?:search:

• Like 1
    Posted
    13 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I was thinking along similar lines, ciel: indeed, I sometimes wonder whether some of the plethora of self-proclaimed 'experts on Bonnie Scotland' have even set foot in the place, let alone lived there?

Perhaps vicarious expertise and post-truthism go hand in hand?:search:

That's a little unfair as we're all entitled to an opinion regardless of if we live here or have never been. All I'd ask is that folk form an opinion of their own and not one they were told to have by the MSM. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Not sure how this poll was conducted or how reliable it is but here . It's certainly out of kilt to the other polls and at an earlier Time frame .

IMG_6839.PNG

In response to @ciel post above if it was myself I apologise as I did not intend it to come across in such a manner I was trying to express the desire for the amicable seperation of the uk as a whole. With the uk losing Scotland as you say .

Edited by Mark wheeler
    • Like 1
    Posted

@Mark wheelerTNS poll is not news. Not really worth paying any attention to at this timeframe.

TNS-BMRB for the Herald
    2nd March 2011: 2 months before the SNP landslide which led to iref2
    ( ) difference from final result

44(+12)% Lab
    29(-16)% SNP
    15(-1)% Con
    11%(+3)% Lib

They 'predicted' a Labour landslide of epic proportions. Only in their last polls just days ahead did they converge.

At this timeframe ahead of the 2014 iref, TNS had this:
    65(+10)% No
    35(-10)% Yes
    No lead = 30(+20)% 

One of the biggest no leads of all the pollsters; totally off the mark. Again they only converged with all the other pollsters in the last few weeks.

It's the nature of the sampling method (face to face doorstep). It only ever gives something close to the outcome a few week ahead of the vote. In the simplest terms, the silent majority remain silent until they engage in the last few weeks. Online polls by contrast engage the generally 'routinely engaged' so are much more reliable outside of campaign periods.

Hence it being an outlier as standard away from actual votes (and an iref is 2 years away).

3/3 polls show rise in support for indy. One historic outlier pollster shows odd numbers and a fall = must be ignored as a basic rule of polling.

This is all the others / general pattern (from Prof C's site):

irref.jpg

EDIT. TNS fieldwork (pre-GE announcement) also pre-dates our other three new polls (post GE announcement), so maybe a huge swing to yes due to the UKGE? :)

swing.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

To expand on my post above, to give one example, chiono's view appears to be that NS is obsessed by independence and that she is not explaining her management of domestic issues. This, to me, indicates lack of knowledge of the relationship between Westminster and Holyrood responsibilities, in other words, the relationship between devolved and non-devolved matters.

As far as this upcoming GE is concerned, one of the main issues for any Scottish leader is the impact on Scotland that Tory/UK "Brexit means Brexit" may have. The majority of Scots wish to remain in the EU or at least the single market and customs union.  NS has been and is promoting solutions to this situation, as she is perfectly entitled to do in accordance with SNP policy, and which is more than can be said for those Tory U-turners who sacrificed their ideologies for personal political power.

• Like 7
    Posted

Now, back to real news.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahalothman/children-are-going-hungry-over-the-summer-without-school?utm_term=.rx2kk20ZlY#.lbDZZjgLPD

Tens Of Thousands Of British Schoolchildren Will Go Hungry This Summer

A report from the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Hunger says that up to three million children could be at risk of going hungry this summer. Teachers told BuzzFeed News they had stepped in to feed hungry children.

Tens of thousands of children across the UK will go hungry this summer without the help of schools and individual teachers who are stepping in to feed them during term time.

A report from the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Hunger claims that up to three million children could be at risk of hunger - more than a million who receive free school meals, and a further two million who are disqualified from free school meals but come from families who are struggling to make ends meet.

Charities, community groups and teachers gave evidence to the group, and told of young people subsisting entirely on packets of crisps, and parents staving off hunger with dinners consisting of flavoured water, cereal, or any scraps of food left on their children’s plates.

#ToryBritain

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Now, back to real news.

#ToryBritain

Yep   now  that is shocking   A so called rich country  reduced to this

• Like 6
    Posted

Taken from WoS -  A thought provoking post:

Bob Mack says:

25 April, 2017 at 9:04 am

The whole situation in the UK is of grave concern just now. It is very strange to watch history repeating itself whilst the population looks on approvingly. Those who are sick or classified as “workshy” are having their lifeline benefits cut or minimised, and as you rightly point out their ability to travel cancelled.

There is intolerance towards foreigners and the media constantly pump out propoganda stating that anyone who dissaproves of these hard line measures is a ("Tractor" - Ed). Even the rule of law is an inconvenience and something to be changed because it does not suit.

The Government (Tory) want the ability to have an almost dictatorial stance on any decision totally avoiding the involvement of Parliament and any Regional input.

Devolved nations and their leaders are monstered and portrayed as enemies deserving of ridicule.

This island is on a very dangerous road, built for political ends and destinations. The people are gradually being coerced into a state of mind where the totally unacceptable is accepted as the norm. There must be a reckoning at some point before we lose completely our sense of humanity.

I can only imagine the German people in the 1930′ started on the road to Hell by allowing similar practices in their country be become normalised, as is happening here and now in the UK.

Not in my name.

• Like 9
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
    2 hours ago, ciel said:

I note on this thread, that the all vitriol against NS is spouted by those from the outside looking in at Scotland and whose pearls of wisdom concerning the Scottish issues is sourced from biased news agencies.   I would welcome views on this forum from a  Scottish Tory/ unionist who has experience of living and working here, but the only one, who apparently did, and whom I can remember recently, was clearly a “plant”/ troll.

Someone wrote recently on here in connection with a separate topic, that “England might lose Scotland”. This idea was not expressed as “the UK might lose Scotland” or “Scotland might gain independence” and for me epitomises the misinformed, patronising and arrogant attitude of many English posters who choose to come onto the Scottish thread simply to advise Scots of their poor leadership or supposed folly.

Do you know of nobody who is a no voter? Or a leave voter in Scotland? 

Tbh I know a few. My best friend is a Lib dem No voter, should be pro Independence but not a chance he'll change.

My boss at work is a No, the two I work with are both Tory and No... Etc etc. 

This forum is hugely unrepresentative.

I just don't have much time to post.

I've debated in here for years. For example, there is no point in picking Skifreak up yesterday or day before on his point about free school meals.

I oppose universal benefits. You guys overwhelming support them. What's the point in arguing?

I don't think my children (should I get an ok job) need them. Nor the kids of the guy in the castle.

The left will say it benefits all and poverty is diminished. They'll claim like Skifreak that (loosely quoting)  'Introducing universal free school meals will reduce stigma and ensure everyone gets it who needs it'.

Figure that don't claim it is like 0.8% (off the top of my head from an exam I did on it in 2012) of those entitled but I digress... It's tiny. 

The above is just an example of what I would have said but what's the point. Economically i'm still a Tory. I'm just anti-Brexit and if push came to shove would probably back Independence. I yo-yo a lot tbh and i'm socially very liberal so that puts me in no man's land (although I would argue even the Tories are no longer socially 'that' Conservative thankfully. Largely pro gay marriage, right to choose re abortion etc).

However I would disagree with the politics of most on here and would find far more common ground with the Tories I know on everyday policy.

I do agree that not many in Scotland agree with the rhetoric coming from the English contingent on here ie 'Anti-English' etc. I've never voted SNP but can't say I would accuse them of that.

Perhaps the claim that they are 'Independence obsessed' holds water but i'd expect nothing else from an Independence movement. 

An interesting dimension to this is that in 2014 we were freely choosing to leave whereas when we have this next vote we will be almost forced to vote due to the fear of Brexit. 

So yes Ciel I know Scottish Tories. I'll consider them in June. Along with the Lib Dems (wasted vote) and SNP. Tim Farron is not liberal on gay rights etc so I reckon I won't be voting for them. Not very 'liberal' really.

The two other adults in my household have both voted SNP, one No and one Yes. 

Both now Tory voters due to one working in education and one working in the Police. 1 is a unionist and 1 50/50 I think.

I do think the SNP can be criticised and the propaganda in here is a bit OTT. 

I believe they have done a pretty good job tbh but they don't walk on water.

The creation of Police Scotland has not been an overwhelming success. 

Huge criticism of education.

NHS is running better than England tbf.

In that list posted it said 'lowest female unemployment'. So obviously not saying that unemployment here is higher than compared with the rest of the UK.

Having low unemployment and job creation are very important things and if the SNP achieve that then they give more credence to idea that Independence can be an economic success.

I don't think it's as clear cut as some on here make out. I know intelligent nationalists and unionists. I also know nationalists and unionists with stupid arguments.

I've missed the council election deadline to get a proxy sorted so that's irrelevant now for me. I'm genuinely unsure how i'll vote in June and might be an on the day thing but I can say one thing...

We don't all want a left-wing utopia, nor is everyone who votes No a 'hardcore unionist'. 

It will also be interesting to see how the Jim Sillars SNP supporters will vote. Ny grandparents were SNP members for over 50 years, pro indy. However my nana (Grandad died so no idea with him) was pro-Brexit and hates the EU (reads the Mail, shakes head).

So she very much dislikes recent SNP rhetoric (rhetoric which I of course like by contrast) and I have no idea if she'll still vote SNP. You'd think Independence would trump her anti-EU politics but no idea.

There are so many variables in this debate

Kpeaceoutbye xoxox

Edited by SW Saltire
    • Like 8
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Do you know of nobody who is a no voter? Or a leave voter in Scotland? 

Tbh I know a few. My best friend is a Lib dem No voter (he's heading for Green tbh and should be pro Independence but not a chance he'll change).

My boss at work is a No, the two I work with are both Tory and No... Etc etc. 

This forum is hugely unrepresentative.

I just don't have much time to post.

I've debated in here for years. For example, there is no point in picking Skifreak up yesterday or say before on his point about free school meals.

I oppose universal benefits. You guys overwhelming support them. What's the point in arguing?

I don't think my children (should I get an ok job) need them. Nor the kid's of the guy in the castle.

The left will say it benefits all and poverty is diminished. They'll claim like Skifreak that (loosely quoting)  'Introducing universal free school meals will reduce stigma and ensure everyone gets it who needs it'.

Figure that don't claim it is like 0.8% (off the top of my head from an exam I did on it in 2012) of those entitled but I digress... It's tiny. 

The above is just an example of what I would have said but what's the point. 

I do agree that not many in Scotland agree with the rhetoric coming from the English contingent on here ie 'Anti-English' etc. I've never voted SNP but can't say I would accuse them of that.

Perhaps the claim that they are 'Independence obsessed' holds water but i'd expect nothing else from an Independence movement. 

An interesting dimension to this is that in 2014 we were freely choosing to leave whereas when we have this next vote we will be almost forced to vote due to the fear of Brexit. 

So yes Ciel I know Scottish Tories. The two other adults in my household have both voted SNP, one No and one Yes. 

Both now Tory voters due to one working in education and one working in the Police. 1 is a unionist and 1 50/50 I think.

I do think the SNP can be criticised and the propaganda in here is a bit OTT. 

I believe they have done a pretty good job tbh but they don't walk on water.

The creation of Police Scotland has not been an overwhelming success. 

Huge criticism of education.

NHS is running better than England tbf.

In that list posted it said 'lowest female unemployment'. So obviously not saying that unemployment here is higher than compared with the rest of the UK.

Having low unemployment and job creation are very important things and if the SNP achieve that then they give more credence to idea that Indepence can be an economic success.

I don't think it's as clear cut as some on here make out. I know intelligent nationalists and unionists. I also know nationalists and unionists with stupid arguments.

I've missed the council election deadline to get a proxy sorted so that's irrelevant now for me. I'm genuinely unsure how i'll vote in June and might be an on the day thing but I can say one thing...

We don't all want a left-wing utopia, nor is everyone who votes No a 'hardcore unionist'. 

Kpeaceoutbye xoxox

I agree with quite a lot of the above, but I think we've mentioned this before, that our politics aren't a million miles away at times. I have regular chats with people of many different political persuasions, unfortunately most Tories don't do debate beyond their hatred of NS, the SNP and NoReferendum. As I said to a Tory friend on Facebook last night, some of us would be persuaded to going back to being unionists if there was something worth going back for. There isn't, so we don't. 

You're like me about universal benefits, although that's perhaps solely in reference to things like child benefit rather than any desire to abolish free education or the NHS? One thing no one talks about regularly is corporate welfare, that runs to the tune of £100bn a year but we don't debate it much. Are we for this or against it? Surely propping up private enterprise with government money is a very left wing thing to do? Nothing's clear cut, although it simplifies the arguments of we pretend it is, I'm sure I'm guilty of this at times.

Posted
    36 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

However I would disagree with the politics of most on here and would find far more common ground with the Tories I know on everyday policy.

For the avoidance of doubt, I think that reasonable opposition is healthy for democracy and holding Government, including the SNP, to account for their policies.  What I object to are misinformed or patronising comments which bear no, or only an imaginative, connection to the facts of a given situation.

Edited by ciel
    • Like 2
    Posted
    23 minutes ago, ciel said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I think that reasonable opposition is healthy for democracy and holding Government, including the SNP, to account for their policies.  What I object to are misinformed or patronising comments which bear no, or only an imaginative, connection to the facts of a given situation.

My sentiments exactly.

Yesterday I found myself utterly flummoxed for these reasons, as summed up here:

1. All Scots MPs (of any party) can no longer realistically hold UK government cabinet positions, including PM, chancellor etc due to EVEL (they can't vote on English matters)

2.'Officially' Scots MPs (from parties officially registered in Scotland, including SNP, Greens, SSP etc) are all but as a rule barred from any involvement in coalition UK government by their English/British counterparts, and

3. If (2) were to propose a policy to Westminster, for the benefit of Scotland or the UK as a whole, it would be almost guaranteed to be voted down due to who was proposing it

Yet we have people (on here and in general) angrily demanding SNP propose detailed policies which they would implement if part of the UK government.

Rather than say pointing out the above while proposing what they will try to do with the little influence they have (8.5% of MPs in HoC).

---

Also, the above makes me struggle to understand Scottish unionist voters who vote to be second class citizens.

And finally, looking at 1-3, who is it destroying the UK by pushing Scotland out of Westminster? Not the SNP....

I now await being accused of negativity for pointing out basic, but seemingly poorly grasped by some, facts.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 7
    Posted

I found this very harrowing viewing....https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/856812265022115840

Posted

SNP looking for suggestions for potential candidates to stand against Mundell in Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale.

Snap election renders usual 70-day selection procedure unworkable.

Names required by 5pm tomorrow.

Please can we find someone to oust the Viceroy?

Lesley Riddoch's name has been mentioned apparently.

Not sure he's reachable online though!:D

MV5BYzQ4NjZkNTYtNGI4ZS00M2RkLTgxM2YtZTJiMzRjOTZmYTRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkxMjM5Nzc@._V1_UY100_CR33,0,100,100_AL_.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

SNP looking for suggestions for potential candidates to stand against Mundell in Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale.

Snap election renders usual 70-day selection procedure unworkable.

Names required by 5pm tomorrow.

Please can we find someone to oust the Viceroy?

Lesley Riddoch's name has been mentioned apparently.

Not sure he's reachable online though!:D

MV5BYzQ4NjZkNTYtNGI4ZS00M2RkLTgxM2YtZTJiMzRjOTZmYTRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkxMjM5Nzc@._V1_UY100_CR33,0,100,100_AL_.jpg

Not a chance imo. Will get over 50% of the vote. The seat was over 65% No and over 40% leave

Posted
    12 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Not a chance imo. Will get over 50% of the vote. The seat was over 65% No and over 40% leave

I'll wager he won't get over 50%.

It's odds on he will win, but it would have been good to have a high profile SNP candidate run against him.

Posted
    34 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

I thought he only got in with a 798 majority after a recount?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/S1400001

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It's odds on he will win, but it would have been good to have a high profile SNP candidate run against him.

Was wondering/ hoping that SNP had their own ideas but waiting for all suggestions to come in first?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
    29 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Leslie Riddoch would put up a fantastic fight though. 

Oh and thanks for correcting me on the difference between Stirlingshire and Pertshire the other day - that was quite the cringing error! :good:

Posted
    28 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Electoral calculus wagers differently ;) 

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/region02.html  They predict 54% for Mundell on current polling. SNP a distant second on 31%. (Not saying you won't have a chance but.....)

27 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I thought he only got in with a 798 majority after a recount?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/S14000014

See my reply to MS. He does have a paper thin majority but being in a unionist area that isn't strongly remain will see him over the line imo.  

22 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Was wondering/ hoping that SNP had their own ideas but waiting for all suggestions to come in first?

Would be a very good shout though don't get me wrong, certainly would boost the SNP vote above the 31% currently predicted.

11 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Leslie Riddoch would put up a fantastic fight though. 

Oh and thanks for correcting me on the difference between Stirlingshire and Pertshire the other day - that was quite the cringing error! :good:

Agreed

No worries haha, I double and triple checked as I thought I'd look like a right angel delight correcting you if it was actually Stirlingshire

Posted

Thanks SWS.   Thought I was missing something.

• Like 1