Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NorthernRab said:

Can anyone really see heavily Remain voting Stirlingshire turning blue?

I think West Aberdeenshire is a possibility, but the others in the North of Scotland aren't going to go Tory on the uniform national swing current polls are showing. What that map does show though is that it is the areas of Northern Scotland with the highest proportion of rUK born residents that is at most risk of turning blue, that's a good indication of where the SNP need to target effort to make sure these voters understand what is at risk if the power of the Scottish Parliament is neutered or the budget slashed by a Tory government with a thumping majority at Westminster. Do these voters want to say goodbye to free prescriptions, free eye tests, nation wide free bus travel for pensioners, free personal care (these four have both had a significantly positive impact on quality of life that along with social care is helping reduce pressure on the NHS compared to England), free tuition at University, investment that is going in transport connections for the North of Scotland, do they really want to end up outside the EEA. In the overwhelming majority of cases the answer is no.

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Scottish-Irish Skier

    8874

  • mountain shadow

    1528

  • skifreak

    1435

  • frogesque

    1306

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, skifreak said:

I think West Aberdeenshire is a possibility, but the others in the North of Scotland aren't going to go Tory on the uniform national swing current polls are showing.

West Aberdeenshire, my seat,  is a difficult one to predict. Although the Tories took the Holyrood seat I don't think the boundaries are equivalent and the Westminster seat has always been more LibDem than Tory. The SNP took it last time around after the LibDems had held it for 4 elections I think. Probably going to come down to how the fairly substantial remnant of the LibDem support last time votes this time. There is no real Labour vote for either side to try to steal and you'd not expect much Tory <-> SNP switching. Further complicated of course by not being the strongest Remain area or the strongest Indy area.

All I know for certain is that I have 2 sets of leaflets to deliver and they ain't getting done tonight due to inclement weather.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus wept!         Wonder if they need a car to get there?

Great to catch up with those wonderful people @Trossachsmobil1 - helping those with mobility issues get out into the countryside & hills.

C-L0gTSXcAAvgM7.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Jesus wept!         Wonder if they need a car to get there?

Great to catch up with those wonderful people @Trossachsmobil1 - helping those with mobility issues get out into the countryside & hills.

C-L0gTSXcAAvgM7.jpg

My words exactly, Blitz! Tory ars**oles!:angry:

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skifreak said:

I think West Aberdeenshire is a possibility, but the others in the North of Scotland aren't going to go Tory on the uniform national swing current polls are showing. What that map does show though is that it is the areas of Northern Scotland with the highest proportion of rUK born residents that is at most risk of turning blue, that's a good indication of where the SNP need to target effort to make sure these voters understand what is at risk if the power of the Scottish Parliament is neutered or the budget slashed by a Tory government with a thumping majority at Westminster. Do these voters want to say goodbye to free prescriptions, free eye tests, nation wide free bus travel for pensioners, free personal care (these four have both had a significantly positive impact on quality of life that along with social care is helping reduce pressure on the NHS compared to England), free tuition at University, investment that is going in transport connections for the North of Scotland, do they really want to end up outside the EEA. In the overwhelming majority of cases the answer is no.

I expect they are well aware of it and welcome it.
Perhaps they wonder where the funding is coming from for all the goodies in second bold bit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 4wd said:

I expect they are well aware of it and welcome it.
Perhaps they wonder where the funding is coming from for all the goodies in second bold bit.

The funding currently comes through the SG via the Barnet Formula, which, until the changes to taxation become fully effective is Scotland's only source funding. Our taxes, income and indirect, go to the Treasury as does all the oil revenues past and present since they are counted as ex regio and Scotland gets no credit. 

Westminster decides how much funding Scotland gets based on functions devolved and per rata spending in England. SG decide how those funds can be allocated to the devolved functions. Excluded in the capital and infrastructure projects are the national projects that 'benefit' the whole UK like Cross rail, London sewers, etc.

In an Indy Scotland we would collect all our own taxes and decide all our own spending. Just like any other normal Nation.

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 4wd said:

I expect they are well aware of it and welcome it.
Perhaps they wonder where the funding is coming from for all the goodies in second bold bit.

The funding comes from the same £1,800,000,000,000 black hole called national debt that pays for all the nonsense we waste money on across the UK. You know this so why not say it? It's definitely not from English taxpayer subsidies as we keep getting patronisingly told (not saying you said this). But hey ho national debt is ok for the Tories, we'll simply never mention it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 4wd said:

I expect they are well aware of it and welcome it.
Perhaps they wonder where the funding is coming from for all the goodies in second bold bit.

I very much doubt they would welcome having to increase NHS spending for worse outcomes. NHS Scotland is delivering improving outcomes on a reducing share of the budget - that's practically the holy grail of public services! There should be increasing benefits as the work to fully integrate social services and NHS Scotland continue.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jimben said:

I don't get the point here.

The next Holyrood election - where independence referendums are legislated for - is in 2021. If the Tories do well in those elections, they can try and stop a new iref, assuming Scotland is part of the UK.

Any Tory MPs elected in Scotland in June can sit in the public gallery at Holyrood and watch; that's all. They have no power in the Scottish Parliament.

---

Incidentally, the three polls in question all show movement to Yes from No / an increase in support for independence.

The better the Tories do, the more support for independence grows. That's how it works. Newton's third law if you like.

Annoying if you are a Tory sure, but that's life.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the worst things about politicians especially during election time is how fixated the politicians become with the opposition. And in my opinion NS is the worst of all with her fixation with telling everyone how bad the tories are. How about demonstrating how well the SNP has been for Scotland instead?

It is a bit like me going to find a new GP and asking a potential new surgery why I should register with them. What I don't want to hear is that the reason I should register with them is because the surgery down the road is dreadful, they keep patients waiting, don't offer emergency appointments and so on and so forth...

What I would like to hear is how I will be treated and cared for by that GP (positive things), not how bad another GP is.

So, what is NS and the SNP broadcasting about how they are caring about the people for Scotland without mentioning the word tory or independence?

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

NS is rattled Chiono.

May is playing it cool imo. Let the Opposition squabble in the media. The Tories will only seriously campaign in last couple of weeks before 8 June me thinks. Strategy sorted.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

NS is rattled Chiono.

May is playing it cool imo. Let the Opposition squabble in the media. The Tories will only seriously campaign in last couple of weeks before 8 June me thinks. Strategy sorted.

I think although it's futile against the wish for a Indy vote , nobody likes losing seats and let's face it the snp are at the highest of heights in terms of seats etc . So the thought of Nicola losing a MP of the likes of Robertson would be bad press and a small win for the Tories . So yes I think she is slightly rattled maybe riled slightly because the focus is temporary away from Indy . But long term their biggest battle is yet to come . All is happening is posturing and testing the ground . Could be wrong though.

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

One of the worst things about politicians especially during election time is how fixated the politicians become with the opposition. And in my opinion NS is the worst of all with her fixation with telling everyone how bad the tories are. How about demonstrating how well the SNP has been for Scotland instead?

It is a bit like me going to find a new GP and asking a potential new surgery why I should register with them. What I don't want to hear is that the reason I should register with them is because the surgery down the road is dreadful, they keep patients waiting, don't offer emergency appointments and so on and so forth...

What I would like to hear is how I will be treated and cared for by that GP (positive things), not how bad another GP is.

So, what is NS and the SNP broadcasting about how they are caring about the people for Scotland without mentioning the word tory or independence?

Please read back to my post earlier showing the Tory leaflet which came through my door today. Flip your post and ask why are the Tories so obsessed with the SNP and the independence referendum? Your post may be correct about the SNP's campaign (let's see some direct evidence from you), but I have already shown that the Tories' strategy is simply to obsess about the SNP and the referendum. And they have started campaigning hard BB, the evidence is all around us.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

One of the worst things about politicians especially during election time is how fixated the politicians become with the opposition. And in my opinion NS is the worst of all with her fixation with telling everyone how bad the tories are. How about demonstrating how well the SNP has been for Scotland instead?

It is a bit like me going to find a new GP and asking a potential new surgery why I should register with them. What I don't want to hear is that the reason I should register with them is because the surgery down the road is dreadful, they keep patients waiting, don't offer emergency appointments and so on and so forth...

What I would like to hear is how I will be treated and cared for by that GP (positive things), not how bad another GP is.

So, what is NS and the SNP broadcasting about how they are caring about the people for Scotland without mentioning the word tory or independence?

That's for Holyrood elections. NHS is devolved for example. 

Also, obviously..

Scots MPs are not allowed to hold UK government positions, especially with EVEL. They can only oppose. Never can there be a Scots PM or chancellor. Can't vote on English matters.

You remember this positive Tory stuff right? Scots are theives who are not to be allowed a say in running the UK.

Neither lab nor con will work with the Scots.

So, whatever happens, the SNP can't do good things if elected to Westminster,  only try to stop Tory bad things.

 

CDbegrWXIAAawbn.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Please read back to my post earlier showing the Tory leaflet which came through my door today. Flip your post and ask why are the Tories so obsessed with the SNP and the independence referendum? Your post may be correct about the SNP's campaign (let's see some direct evidence from you), but I have already shown that the Tories' strategy is simply to obsess about the SNP and the referendum. And they have started campaigning hard BB, the evidence is all around us.

Is this some sort of joke, the Scottish Nasty Party is incapable of going a day without some sniping about Tories/Westminster/Engand which they seem to think all the same thing.

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

This is a typical NS speech

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39697449

 

Nothing about what she can offer.. All anti tory

What would you have her offer if her MPs are not allowed to form part of a uk government because they are Scottish?

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

That's for Holyrood elections. NHS is devolved for example. 

Also, obviously..

Scots MPs are not allowed to hold UK government positions, especially with EVEL. They can only oppose. Never can there be a Scots PM or chancellor. Can't vote on English matters.

You remember this positive Tory stuff right? Scots are theives who are not to be allowed a say in running the UK.

Neither lab nor con will work with the Scots.

So, whatever happens, the SNP can't do good things if elected to Westminster,  only try to stop Tory bad things.

 

CDbegrWXIAAawbn.jpg

This post is no different to if it were made by NS herself. Rather than offer some positive news about what the SNP can offer it is just more Tory swiping

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scottish skier said:

What would you have her offer if her MPs are not allowed to form part of a uk government because they are Scottish?

Well I haven't a clue what she can offer other than another referendum or a tory swipe - no other message gets across.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

This post is no different to if it were made by NS herself. Rather than offer some positive news about what the SNP can offer it is just more Tory swiping

I ask again. If SNP MPs cannot be part of the UK government because they are Scots, what would you have them offer?

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Well I haven't a clue what she can offer other than another referendum

Yes, that's correct. You are getting this now. That's it at best for the reasons I stated. Scots are not allowed to be part of the UK government. EVEL cements this. 

Referendum deal is already sorted via Holyrood, so no need to even offer that. Mandate was secured in 2016.

 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...