Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

I bet Labour are glad they're not in power.

PPP is damming for them.

What a mess. SNP were right to end this scheme for this reason alone, never mind the eye-watering legacy of debts/payments it's landed us with.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I work for a large supermarket chain in a building which was built six years ago. It is an utter shambles, poorly designed and it leaks like a sieve when it rains. I wouldn't be at all surprised if parts of the structure are unsafe as large parts of the internal fittings are unsafe. 

Not just supermarkets. Farm buildings built after 1980 had their specifications reduced so much to keep constuction costs down in a time of soaring material costs that  huge numbers of them collapsed under the weight of snow in December 2010.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4
20 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

PPP is damming for them.

What a mess. SNP were right to end this scheme for this reason alone, never mind the eye-watering legacy of debts/payments it's landed us with.

The SNP did well to drop that toxic scheme,what a expensive farce it turned out to be. Now the Scottish taxpayer is picking up the tab for a Labour policy that was obviously knackered from the start. Somebody,somewhere should be held to account. It's public money wasted

29 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

PPP is damming for them.

If the buildings were not built to correct standards, is there no way out of the contracts?

26 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

If the buildings were not built to correct standards, is there no way out of the contracts?

From what was said at the time about the Edinburgh schools the contract is so heavily tilted against the public purse the answer appears to be no.:angry:

55 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Yes, SS. 

My understanding is that Tory policy continues to advocate PPP initiatives in England.

41 minutes ago, skifreak said:

From what was said at the time about the Edinburgh schools the contract is so heavily tilted against the public purse the answer appears to be no.:angry:

If it was the SNP who had signed off on these contracts you can guarantee the MSM would be all over it.

• Like 3

Re-locations starting to build up quite a head of steam now.

Of course the UK media generally not giving much coverage given there seems to be no going back on a hard brexit now.

And it's not brexit itself really, but the lack of a plan and, in particular, crashing out of the EEA / single market.

If an e.g. well thought out Norway model was on the cards, there'd be much less of an issue.

I'm not sure how long we have before jobs start going in Scotland; brexit already hitting the economy hard here in earnest it seems, and with the drunken brexit spending spree over in England based on incoming data, hitting home there too now.

Edinburgh's financial centre is likely to take an early hit. Dublin in with a great chance to benefit.

And it's not just the jobs; even a brass plate relocation to the EU which might only take a relatively small number of jobs can shift a huge volume of taxes which means, aye, more Tory austerity.

http://www.reuters.com/article/fintech-transferwise-brexit-idUSL8N1HK35Y

Transferwise to move European HQ from UK to continent due to Brexit

Money transfer company Transferwise, one of the biggest fintech firms in Europe, will move its European headquarters from London to mainland Europe by March 2019 in order to keep access to the single market after Brexit, its CEO said on Wednesay.

Taavet Hinrikus, who co-founded the $1 billion company in 2011 in London with fellow Estonian Kristo Kaarmann, said if they were setting up the company now, they would not chose Britain for its location due to uncertainty from Brexit.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/hsbc-clients-financial-passport-brexit-2017-4

Banks are already sending business through Paris instead of London due to Brexit

LONDON — Clients of HSBC, Europe's biggest bank, have started requesting that their money is routed through the bank's offices in mainland Europe, avoiding the UK as a consequence of Brexit-related uncertainty, one of the bank's most senior UK staff has said...

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Does seem this is the advice.

Watching the Scottish Tories demand the SNP mitigate the rape clause in Scotland - the Tories own policy - was pretty sickening.

Don't waste your time writing a number next to the Tories, just write numbers next to the rest of them and leave the Tories blank. Same net effect but it means you can hold your head up and say you've never voted for them, even if it was a last place they were due from you. 

I've never felt inclined to vote Tory and the rape clause issue has probably added at least fifty years to that non-inclination. Some things can't be forgiven. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I've never felt inclined to vote Tory and the rape clause issue has probably added at least fifty years to that non-inclination. Some things can't be forgiven. 

There's this sort of stuff too.

Does seem the Tories are filling their ranks with UKIP / Loyalists / BNP / NF / Britain first. As pointed out by WoS, it's not as if you'll have much chance of getting elected under those banners, but as a Tory 'save the union' candidate you might be in with a shot.

Mind you, with Ruth making the Scottish Tories the 'no surrender' party, I suppose they'll fit right in.

If you are a traditional Scots one nation Tory...maybe pro-EU, I suggest you check your candidate lest Ruth has given you a BNP-type.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Does seem the Tories are filling their ranks with UKIP / Loyalists / BNP / NF / Britain first. As pointed out by WoS, it's not as if you'll have much chance of getting elected under those banners, but as a Tory 'save the union' candidate you might be in with a shot.

Mind you, with Ruth making the Scottish Tories the 'no surrender' party, I suppose they'll fit right in.

If you are a traditional Scots one nation Tory...maybe pro-EU, I suggest you check your candidate lest Ruth has given you a BNP-type.

If you've got time it would be an idea to check up on all the candidates, even those who are standing for your chosen party. At least this is a lot easier these days.

• Like 1

And have a read at the manifesto of parties you're going to vote for:

https://greens.scot/sites/default/files/Campaigns/Scottish Greens 2017 Council Manifesto for download.pdf

Damn lentil munching Greens want to build 12,000 homes a year!! You'd be forgiven for taking them seriously... :) I'll probably vote 1) Green 2) SNP 3) Lib Dem 4) Labour and that's it. It'll be a dark day on the surface of the sun before I put any indication on a voting paper for the Tories. We've only got six candidates here. 

And here's a random fact, there is an East Berwickshire and a Mid Berwickshire but no West Berwickshire. 

On 14/04/2017 at 13:58, scottish skier said:

The person in the bottom pic in your post on the left is the same guy in this article. Get on with the day job indeed.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.scotsman.com/news/politics/tory-msp-douglas-ross-misses-meeting-to-referee-football-match-1-4299316/amp

Well this suprises me from Tim Farron , I thought he was of similar values and would support their wishes , how strange and for me it shows that his party is not meaningful with its approach with reference to brexit and Is just trying to secure votes to stop the slide in to nothingness. I also saw this morning Willie Rennie in Holyrood parliament attacking the Greens and SNP in similar manner to above calling the greens out saying a Indy vote was not in there manifesto and was basically blaming them for the situation as there would be no mandate without them. All in all very surprising in my perspective and probably for the many lib dem voters in England .

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/tim-farron-extremism-intolerance-lurks-beneath-surface-snp/amp/

Edited by Mark wheeler
7 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Well this suprises me from Tim Farron , I thought he was of similar values and would support their wishes , how strange , still for me it shows that his party is not meaningful with its approach with reference to brexit and Is just trying to secure votes to stop the slide in to nothingness. I also saw this morning Willie Rennie in Holyrood parliament attacking the Greens and SNP in similar manner to above calling the greens out saying a Indy vote was not in there manifesto and was basically blaming them for the situation as there would be no mandate without them. All in all very surprising in my perspective and probably for the many lib dem voters in England .

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/tim-farron-extremism-intolerance-lurks-beneath-surface-snp/amp/

The SNP virtually wiped out the Lib Dems in 2011, taking a huge chunk of their traditional vote. It was the movement from Lib Dem to the SNP that first gave the SNP a majority government and arguably an independence referendum. This was all well before the SNP went on to take much of Labour's vote too.

The Lib Dems detest the SNP nearly as much as Labour do. I suspect they'd team up with the Tories in Scotland in a heartbeat if it meant a sniff at power too (assuming they poll above 6% this side of 2050, that is).

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Where has the Tories other 2% come from? Taken some from the SNP I'd wager.

possibly 1% Dougal , however something's wrong probably the Tories should be on 45 % as the numbers add up to 101

IMG_6687.PNG

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Well this suprises me from Tim Farron , I thought he was of similar values and would support their wishes , how strange and for me it shows that his party is not meaningful with its approach with reference to brexit and Is just trying to secure votes to stop the slide in to nothingness. I also saw this morning Willie Rennie in Holyrood parliament attacking the Greens and SNP in similar manner to above calling the greens out saying a Indy vote was not in there manifesto and was basically blaming them for the situation as there would be no mandate without them. All in all very surprising in my perspective and probably for the many lib dem voters in England .

It kinda was in the Green's manifesto about supporting a second independence referendum:

https://greens.scot/sites/default/files/Campaigns/Holyrood 2016/Holyrood Manifesto 2016 – RNIB.pdf

IMG_2099.thumb.PNG.e102a3cb858810634c956a083eaf9d86.PNG

I suppose some clever clogs would argue that they didn't explicitly say they would vote for having a second referendum in parliament, but I don't know what part of "In a second referendum the Scottish Greens will campaign for independence" they're stuck on? To me that's clear cut, what does anyone else think? LibDems being a bit economical with the truth? 

Edited by CatchMyDrift