Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

2 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I think it is right to suspend the debate in the event of a major security incident like this which is of greater importance and would likely distract and unsettle MSPs who'd be aware of events in Westminster and concerned about those caught up. I presume the vote will be delayed which is the responsible thing to do as the severity of what's happening in London is much more important.

We have waited over 300 years for Indy, a few hours or days will not make a huge difference. Even if the debate had continued the result and its importance would have been swamped.

• Like 1
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

That could be a valid reason. Not the attack itself.

However, 7/7 was not sufficient to close Westminster. 

On 7/7 the target was not a political establishment,so obviously the security services would concentrate on the targets!

7 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

There is no such thing as british law, so I'm not sure what law a Scottish iref legality falls under

Under the caveat that I have no practical experience of such matters, it is clear that it is legally within the Scottish governments powers to seek approval for a S,30 application.  That is not disputed by Westminster.  As you are aware, unfortunately it is within Westminster's powers to refuse this.  Any indicative (advisory) referendum is fraught ( legally) with difficulties, for example, finance and questions as to whether or not the Scottish civil service would be empowered to  administer the procedure.

Negotiation between the FM and TM to obtain an agreed date for a legal ref. seems to me to be the best way forward. Pressure needs to be applied to TM in this regard.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

There is zero, nil, nought threat to The Scottish Parliament from Islamic Terrorism(which i'm assuming this is).

Why suspend Holyrood and not the Parliaments in Dublin, Berlin etc..?

This is letting the terrorist win.

Anyway, decision has been made so pretty pointless discussing.

Thoughts and prayers will all caught up in this.

Glasgow Airport attack was Islamic Terrorism don't forget

1 minute ago, markyo said:

On 7/7 the target was not a political establishment,so obviously the security services would concentrate on the targets!

There has been no attack on Holyrood.

Although if people are too distracted now, there is no point in continuing. 

I don't believe in letting terrorists win, so generally support continuing in the face of adversity and finishing in our own time. 

3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

There is zero, nil, nought threat to The Scottish Parliament from Islamic Terrorism(which i'm assuming this is).

Why suspend Holyrood and not the Parliaments in Dublin, Berlin etc..?

This is letting the terrorist win.

Anyway, decision has been made so pretty pointless discussing.

Thoughts and prayers will all caught up in this.

I think it would be very inappropriate to debate and vote when people have potentially been killed during an attack on British democracy. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

The intended target was London. 

They just ended up running to Glasgow and didn't know what to do with the bomb they had.

Exactly!! Do we know how many there could be? Its the police who make the call for heavens sake,protection of life takes over everything,sorry but that is just common sense. 

3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Exactly!! Do we know how many there could be? Its the police who make the call for heavens sake,protection of life takes over everything,sorry but that is just common sense. 

I'm not aware of Police Scotland making any call regarding Holyrood.

Presiding Officer just decided people were too distracted. That's ok with me as a reason (I object to shutting simply due to a terrorist attack elsewhere).

As would have been police advice if there had actually been a risk. Which as far as I'm aware, there was not.

Edited by scottish skier
2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Presiding Officer just decided people were too distracted. That's ok with me as a reason. As would have been police advice if there had actually been a risk.

"I'm not aware of Police Scotland making any call regarding Holyrood." How would you be aware if they had? They don't broadcast it.

3 minutes ago, markyo said:

"I'm not aware of Police Scotland making any call regarding Holyrood." How would you be aware if they had? They don't broadcast it.

Erm, folk calmly ending the debate then heading out the front door to mill around, go for a coffee etc.

Edited by scottish skier
1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

Erm, folk calmly ending the debate then heading out the front door to mill around, go for a coffee etc.

I give up...it wasn't a evacuation. The situation had to be assessed. Pointless trying to go any further with this,your view is right and thats it. Nobody else could be right.

• Like 5

Quite sensibly the Welsh Senedd also suspended proceedings as well after taking appropriate security advice.

Proceedings in the Senedd have been adjourned in light of Westminster incidents, @yLlywydd announces

Presiding officer tells AMs the assembly has spoken to security personnel following Westminster incidents and is taking 'appropriate steps'

Edited by kar999
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I give up...it wasn't a evacuation. The situation had to be assessed. Pointless trying to go any further with this,your view is right and thats it. Nobody else could be right.

here is my view again for you:

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Presiding Officer just decided people were too distracted. That's ok with me as a reason (I object to shutting simply due to a terrorist attack elsewhere).

As would have been police advice if there had actually been a risk. Which as far as I'm aware, there was not.

I'm sorry you seem to find it objectionable.

I'll leave it there.

(I suspect I won't get a like from Rob48, which heartens me greatly).

Edited by scottish skier
11 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I'm convinced he's actually Vladimir Putin!

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

here is my view again for you:

I'm sorry you seem to find it objectionable.

I'll leave it there.

We'll leave it there SS. Hope no offence was taken,as you know views differ. Don't find your view objectionable,you are entitled to that.......and i agree Mr Rob48 will not be clicking that button tonight!!:)

• Like 2

Holyrood had no choice but to suspend the debate, irrespective of security concerns how on earth would this look to the rest of the UK.

Regardless of whether MSP's were distracted you simply can't have them voting on a second referendum whilst people are being killed outside Westminster.

This shouldn't even be an issue for discussion, its just a matter of Holyrood being respectful of whats happening. I know Sturgeon couldn't alone call for a suspension but I'm sure she'd not want to have continued with the debate.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, ajpoolshark said:

in the light of the awful events in London this afternoon, do you all agree that we can drop the debate about whether Scottish Parliament session should've been suspended or not...it's been suspended, end of..... have a bit of sensitivity please?

I tried to open a topic specifically about the Westminster Terror attack but it hasn't been accepted although since it's being discussed in here I can now see why. Anyway, it's a shocking attack on a policeman and civilians going about their daily lives..my heart goes out to the victim's and families of those injured and killed.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4
22 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I tried to open a topic specifically about the Westminster Terror attack but it hasn't been accepted although since it's being discussed in here I can now see why. Anyway, it's a shocking attack on a policeman and civilians going about their daily lives..my heart goes out to the victim's and families of those injured and killed.

It mostly being discussed in the uk politics thread mate . But yes shocking .

• Like 1

Well, steering the thread back in topic....

We all know the Tories have always been against Scotland as a country, but can Labour and the Libs really vote against 'the sovereign right of the Scottish people to determine government best suited to their needs...

Their conversion to loyalist 'rule Britannia no surrender' types would be complete.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Well, steering the thread back in topic....

We all know the Tories have always been against Scotland as a country, but can Labour and the Libs really vote against 'the sovereign right of the Scottish people to determine government best suited to their needs...

Their conversion to loyalist 'rule Britannia no surrender' types would be complete.

Not sure how parliament acknowledging that Scottish people have the right to determine the form of their government has anything to do with another Scottish independence referendum.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Not sure how parliament acknowledging that Scottish people have the right to determine the form of their government has anything to do with another Scottish independence referendum.

I'm sick of hearing about another Scottish independence referendum, it's all the SNP are interested in, especially NS..however, I would find it highly amusing if the people of scotland reject it for a second time whenever they get the opportunity, whether that's 2,3,4,5 years away.