Jump to content

Scottish Politics 2011-2017


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Wasn't this guy posting on here yesterday?

'Prime Minister' of Scotland. Lol. Ignorance is bliss.

From the Pro-UK (but pro-EU too!) Daily Record.

 

We need more of these types of videos, well done that man. :D

Apparently in the first indy ref we voted to remain part of England, not the UK, but England. :fool:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • scottish skier

    8874

  • mountain shadow

    1528

  • skifreak

    1435

  • frogesque

    1306

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Reason I asked is that at the last Indy, Iceland was about the only country that supported us. Wondering what's changed or is it just ramblings from 'anonymous sources' or some guy in a pub?

Frog its the usual .

Someone on twitter posted this regarding britnat propaganda and it goes like

1.MAKE UNSUBSTANTIATED CLAIM.

2.FORCE DENIAL.

3.IMPLY FORCED DENIAL IS THE LIE

4. RINSE AND REPEAT.

 

Iceland , what the iceland that was the enemy of the britnats under the days of gordon brown that refused to bail out the banks and jailed bankers for wrongdoing?
 

Quote

 

British fury after Iceland blocks £2.3bn repayment

But on the streets of Reykjavik, Archie Bland finds Icelanders celebrating the success of people power

 

What that iceland?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/british-fury-after-iceland-blocks-16323bn-repayment-1858988.html

They will get into bed with anyone and everyone to stop scottish indy as we saw previously.

 

Next it will be vladimir putin and ISIS , the great friends of the uk government  , are against scottish independence cause its bad and the snp are badder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Looks like Iceland could scupper Stujjun's potential plans for quick EFTA membership.

Indy will be a tough sell if it comes with five years of being out in the cold.

Well only last year the UK voted to stay out in the cold permanently, so it can't be that tough a sell. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dougal said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/16/iceland-scotland-could-not-start-applying-efta-independence/

Apologies. Couldn't post link earlier.

It was Iceland's foreign minister being quoted in the Torygraph.

Ah! The same Torygraph that published the " off with her head" item by Pearson ranting about Scotland's democratically elected First Minister.

Not exactly an unbiased source but then just about the whole MSM is in full on frothing anti Indy mode.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

English Tory Telegraph. I knew not to believe it. That's the type of paper the gent in the video above reads.

What next, UKIP election leaflets lol.

I'll stick to reliable, non-extremist right sources thanks! The Geert Wilders Daily just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by scottish skier
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope I am not breaking any rules. 

Not mine, but from Wings and so eloquently put:

After reading as much as I could face, since the First Ministers announcement.
I found it strange that not one Brexit voter Unionist or no, Scottish or no, even acknowledged that she might just have saved their arses.

I don’t mean the Kipper’s or the mad Brit obeying their queen mob.
But normal people who really don’t think the European project is right for their country.
They surely can’t think that May and her Minions are able to handle this.

The First Minister, I think, has just, put a stop to any horse trading with Scotland’s resources.
And ofcourse she would, she had to because nobody elected in Scotland was going to be in the room.
Can’t see why they were all so surprised to be honest!

Therefore as,is,her job….She used Scotland’s “veto” not the pretendy Smith commission one.
The real one…..The one the Scottish Electorate gave her last year,the only one Holyrood ever really needed.

But the irony is that while Scotland’s resources are off the table for Westminster and it has to be said Brussels,any “deal” will, it seems to me,be impossible to make.
Which at the very least should stop May from rushing into a hamfisted arrangements.

No that I care we’ll be gone …. but ye would think that some would notice that they have potentially gained some breathing space.
And other’s this side of the border regardless of their views on Independence could at least take note that the First Minister has made sure that everyone knows Scotland’s resources are not the Tories to bargain with,unless and until we say so,and one way or another we are getting to have a say.

Edited by mark4
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Truth from Dougal in one of those type of posts? Lol.

EU could in turn block Iceland from the EEA anyway. Turn the screws on the whole EFTA.

I think people forget this. 5.3 million EU citizens here it has a duty to protect. 1/3 of UK land, most of its sea EEZ, bulk of its energy resources and the geostrategic gateway to the north Atlantic. Iceland much lower priority. 

 

So you're happy to adopt the 'ignore the opinion of the little country' stance when it suits despite frothing about Westminster doing the same to Scotland.

'That' type of post SS!? I can't be the only one who likes to play SS repeat phrase bingo:

Blood and soil

May's brown shirts

Deported wife

Sash your faither wore

Erm...

Etc!!

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dougal said:

So you're happy to adopt the 'ignore the opinion of the little country' stance when it suits despite frothing about Westminster doing the same to Scotland.

'That' type of post SS!? I can't be the only one who likes to play SS repeat phrase bingo:

Blood and soil

May's brown shirts

Deported wife

Sash your faither wore

Erm...

Etc!!

 

 

 

I think we can safely say that SS is a fervent Scottish Independence supporter,that is obvious. What he has to say can antagonise many but to be honest it's not far off the truth. Yes some of it is crap,the brown shirts and tanks bit he does is in my opinion offensive, but i can live with that and the issue with his wife,that's not for discussion as far as i'm concerned. Understand his concerns but deportation is a subject that is a whole different ball park. No matter how big the country is it should have a voice,many can appreciate your views  but hostility to folk will get us no where,understanding and tolerance will do.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

I think we can safely say that SS is a fervent Scottish Independence supporter,that is obvious. What he has to say can antagonise many but to be honest it's not far off the truth. Yes some of it is crap,the brown shirts and tanks bit he does is in my opinion offensive, but i can live with that and the issue with his wife,that's not for discussion as far as i'm concerned. Understand his concerns but deportation is a subject that is a whole different ball park. No matter how big the country is it should have a voice,many can appreciate your views  but hostility to folk will get us no where,understanding and tolerance will do.

A passionate yellow flag liberal democrat first and foremost. 

I thought it was quite obvious when I use such language I do this largely for effect. If for example May's Tories did really mass deport EU citizens (including my wife) from Scotland against the will of the Scottish people / its Government, 'brownshirts' would be a fitting and accurate description for such an action. The if is always emphasised when I say such things. However, I have no concerns with pointing out right wing nastiness either though; on the EU citizens rights thing I've even been vindicated by the House of Lords in my stance (and of course by the EU parliament /  the 27 nations of the EU).

And 'tanks' is quite obviously emphasizing the ridiculousness of the idea that Westminster can really stop Scotland becoming independent if that is the will of the Scottish people. It can't, not unless it really did resort to the tanks approach, although even that it's been crap at historically; Ireland being our nearest example.

When you are expressing views by the written word, a little colour can be used to great effect, although of course this can be lost in translation. 

Anyway, I hope / aim to be tolerant of all but intolerance. My general rule when it comes to debating is by all means disagree with me and state your points with firm evidence, but don't make stuff up, quote the e.g. Telegraph as 'reliable source', and don't be an erse generally or yes, I'll be quite cutting if necessary. :D

I do like to play the devil's advocate too of course.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

 

I'm tolerant of all but intolerance. My general rule it by all means disagree with me and state your points, but don't make stuff up, quote the e.g. Telegraph as 'reliable source' and don't be an erse or yes, I'll be quite cutting. :D

 

Unreliable or just disagreeing with one's own point of view? I'm sure Kim Jong-un's half brother was deemed unreliable.

The quotes on here which are endlessly cut and pasted from that 'Chips over shoulders' website you're all so fond of are equally unreliable imo.

Feel free to get cutting....:D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 09:50, Mark wheeler said:

incidently the petition I posted last night has shot up very quickly to well over 100k so will be debated in parliament so that will be worth a watch on BBC parliament.

Apropos of nothing, but hilariously, tens of thousands of people from England a signing a petition that reads: 

We in Scotland...

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=180642&area=eng

Which, well, kind of invalidates the whole exercise even before, as previously noted, it's been sent to the wrong parliament.

Edited by scottish skier
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

A passionate yellow flag liberal democrat first and foremost. 

I thought it was quite obvious when I use such language I do this largely for effect. If for example May's Tories did really mass deport EU citizens (including my wife) from Scotland against the will of the Scottish people / its Government, 'brownshirts' would be a fitting and accurate description for such an action. The if is always emphasised when I say such things. However, I have no concerns with pointing out right wing nastiness either though; on the EU citizens rights thing I've even been vindicated by the House of Lords in my stance (and of course by the EU parliament /  the 27 nations of the EU).

And 'tanks' is quite obviously emphasizing the ridiculousness of the idea that Westminster can really stop Scotland becoming independent if that is the will of the Scottish people. It can't, not unless it really did resort to the tanks approach, although even that it's been crap at historically; Ireland being our nearest example.

When you are expressing views by the written word, a little colour can be used to great effect, although of course this can be lost in translation. 

Anyway, I hope / aim to be tolerant of all but intolerance. My general rule when it comes to debating is by all means disagree with me and state your points with firm evidence, but don't make stuff up, quote the e.g. Telegraph as 'reliable source', and don't be an erse generally or yes, I'll be quite cutting if necessary. :D

I do like to play the devil's advocate too of course.

The Devils advocate you play so well,i agree totally!:D I will disagree with you on many points but agree on probably as many. Having a passion and drive for a committed view is not a crime so long as the the other persons view is taken on board to a certain extent. As with everything in life. The only thing i really do say is the phrase Brown shirts i find very offensive,the Sturmabteilung where basic thugs and to be honest have no place in any reference to today's world,sorry but i feel very strongly on this one.....just type there name and spell check it,the answer proves my case(made my day)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, markyo said:

The only thing i really do say is the phrase Brown shirts i find very offensive,the Sturmabteilung where basic thugs and to be honest have no place in any reference to today's world,sorry but i feel very strongly on this one.....just type there name and spell check it,the answer proves my case(made my day)

Well, give us a shout when your wife and many friends / colleagues are being used as pawns / are under technical threat of deportation. As a husband, friend / colleague and liberal democrat, I feel quite strongly about that. It's disgusting.

My opinion is you only belittle such a term / its connotations by using it frivolously. I only use it in relation to hypothetical situations which might follow the above (the actual threatened mass deportation), where it would be very appropriate.

The UK has ruined its international reputation here. The other 27 are rightly aghast. The UK is lucky it hasn't been summarily ejected for threatening EU citizens in this way. It's people's lives; their families, jobs, homes, friends...basic human rights that the UK is threatening here.

In time we will see how it has severely damaged the hope of any EU-UK trade deal. People are likely in for a huge shock here. The EU people's parliament - representing the citizens of Europe - is going to tear the UK a new hole over it.

Edited by scottish skier
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, markyo said:

The Devils advocate you play so well,i agree totally!:D I will disagree with you on many points but agree on probably as many. Having a passion and drive for a committed view is not a crime so long as the the other persons view is taken on board to a certain extent. As with everything in life. 

As to this part. :drinks:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Apropos of nothing, but hilariously, tens of thousands of people from England a signing a petition that reads: 

We in Scotland...

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=180642&area=eng

Which, well, kind of invalidates the whole exercise even before, as previously noted, it's been sent to the wrong parliament.

Could it be possible many of these are Scots living in England , just a thought . Without doubt some English would have signed it why? I will never understand . It won't t make an ounce of difference anyway . It hardly ever does.

Edited by Mark wheeler
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Well, give us a shout when your wife and many friends / colleagues are being used as pawns / are under technical threat of deportation. As a husband, friend / colleague and liberal democrat, I feel quite strongly about that. It's disgusting.

My opinion is you only belittle such a term / its connotations by using it frivolously. I only use it in relation to hypothetical situations which might follow the above (the actual threatened mass deportation), where it would be very appropriate.

The UK has ruined its international reputation here. The other 27 are rightly aghast. The UK is lucky it hasn't been summarily ejected for threatening EU citizens in this way. It's people's lives; their families, jobs, homes, friends...basic human rights that the UK is threatening here.

In time we will see how it has severely damaged the hope of any EU-UK trade deal. People are likely in for a huge shock here. The EU people's parliament - representing the citizens of Europe - is going to tear the UK a new hole over it.

Sorry strongly disagree,you are only stoking intolerance by your views,your first sentence makes this clear. Fully agree in your case you have a point but the picture is much wider. The phrase brown shirts is a repulsive comparison in my opinion. On this one one we will disagree. Sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Could it be possible many of these are Scots living in England...

That still makes them 'we in england' and not 'we in Scotland'.

If you are living in England, you don't have the SNP governing you. Doesn't matter if you grew up in Auchtermuchty. 

Edited by scottish skier
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Apropos of nothing, but hilariously, tens of thousands of people from England a signing a petition that reads: 

We in Scotland...

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=180642&area=eng

Which, well, kind of invalidates the whole exercise even before, as previously noted, it's been sent to the wrong parliament.

Given that the majority of the Scottish population lives in Central belt, it is good to see the lack of deep reds in that area. Most of the respondents are in rural areas such as Aberdeenshire and Renfrewshire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sorry strongly disagree,you are only stoking intolerance by your views,your first sentence makes this clear. Fully agree in your case you have a point but the picture is much wider. The phrase brown shirts is a repulsive comparison in my opinion. On this one one we will disagree. Sorry.

No, I'm not threaten to deport anyone. I'm attacking those threatening my family and friends with this simply because of their country of birth.

Threatening 3 million people on these grounds is shopping for brown shirt territory. It's disgusting. 

The house of Lords agrees.

It's a slippery slope and the UK is sliding headlong down it right now. 

I stand by what I say. 

First they came for the migrants...

Well, I'm speaking out right now even though I'm not a migrant. Nip this in the bud right here.

But I've said it many times so I'm not going to repeat. I'll leave it here once more.

Edited by scottish skier
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

That still makes them 'we in england' and not 'we in Scotland'.

If you are living in England, you don't have the SNP governing you. Doesn't matter if you grew up in Auchtermuchty. 

Just had a quick look at that Map  33 people here voted to stop the vote on INDY   power to the union;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ciel said:

PM has refused the SNP timetable for 2nd Ref.  (BBC Scotland)

This should be fun.

The Scottish Government could hold a referendum regardless and get the UN involved to ensure Westminster doesn't stop democracy. They could bring Holyrood down and have a vote that way, or reconvene the Scottish Grand Committee and unilaterally vote to the leave the UK as per Thatcher's advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...