Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Posted

As a member of the forum team during the past winter months, I wholeheartedly agree with Brian's post, there's a whole lot more to the daily upkeep of the forum than some might realise, the 'reputation' add on is a good addition, for the reasons already stated plus it can also help new forum members establish posters credentials & experience..As with all things, it's not perfect, but as Paul mentioned, there is a limit on how many 'reputation points' can be made by any member on posts during a 24 hour period..This helps stopping what I call 'Shotgun votes'

Don't agree with that, all it shows is people agreeing to a post because its something what they want to read unfortunately, i'm not saying this is always the case but you can bet over 7 times out of 10, it is the case. A member could write a long post with a attached youtube video for good measure explaining the charts showing mild weather but I can bet they won't get many positive rep points as they would if they posted a similar style post showing cold weather.

Personally and I said it before, I don't see any point of having a rep system on this forum, the majority of posters are Adults on here and surely we don't need a silly points system to determine whether or not a post is a good one or not, or to find out which members we should listen to simply because they got lots of positive reputation points.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Don't agree with that, all it shows is people agreeing to a post because its something what they want to read unfortunately, i'm not saying this is always the case but you can bet over 7 times out of 10, it is the case. A member could write a long post with a attached youtube video for good measure explaining the charts showing mild weather but I can bet they won't get many positive rep points as they would if they posted a similar style post showing cold weather.

Personally and I said it before, I don't see any point of having a rep system on this forum, the majority of posters are Adults on here and surely we don't need a silly points system to determine whether or not a post is a good one or not, or to find out which members we should listen to simply because they got lots of positive reputation points.

Hmm....a bit of a cynical view IMO.....Have a look at the top posters on this forum, how long they've posted for, then have a look at the quality of posts they generally make, then have a look at their reputation points, very quickly a pattern becomes apparent..A very positive pattern, which certainly is a useful guideline for new members...If you disagree, which judging by your post, you do, then it's fairly obvious that that idea has been abused by what I called earlier as 'Shotgun voters'....

As for the bit highlighted in bold...Yes, indeed the majority of posters are adult, it's just a shame that there's a small percentage who don't always act like adults on the forum!

Posted

Hmm....a bit of a cynical view IMO.....Have a look at the top posters on this forum, how long they've posted for, then have a look at the quality of posts they generally make, then have a look at their reputation points, very quickly a pattern becomes apparent..A very positive pattern, which certainly is a useful guideline for new members...If you disagree, which judging by your post, you do, then it's fairly obvious that that idea has been abused by what I called earlier as 'Shotgun voters'....

As for the bit highlighted in bold...Yes, indeed the majority of posters are adult, it's just a shame that there's a small percentage who don't always act like adults on the forum!

Leaving aside for the moment the correlation between top posters ( I'm assuming top in this instance means greater number) and reputation points, surely if a system is open to abuse it should at the very least be reassessed. As for a useful guideline for new members I've only recently noticed the reputation assessment which is very annoying because now I'm going to have adjust my thinking behind my posts to fit the aims of the policy.

Don't agree with that, all it shows is people agreeing to a post because its something what they want to read unfortunately, i'm not saying this is always the case but you can bet over 7 times out of 10, it is the case.

Sorry but your post is complete nonsense.

I have previously taken the left trouser leg out of my own positive reputation; but I bloody well earned it on the Scottish thread through a lot of chart posting and helping members and generally putting a lot of time and effort into NetWeather as a whole.

If you look at most members with a high positive reputation you will find that this reflects the effort they put into the website.

Here's a test for you, show me one member with a very high positive reputation who does not contribute something very positive to NetWeather as a whole. Go on, you're so convinced that anyone can get a high rep by just posting agreeable posts. It doesn't work like that. With all due respect you're a fool for thinking it does work like that.

I've worked hard for my positive rep, as has everyone else on here!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have previously taken the left trouser leg out of my own positive reputation; but I bloody well earned it on the Scottish thread through a lot of chart posting and helping members and generally putting a lot of time and effort into NetWeather as a whole.

If you look at most members with a high positive reputation you will find that this reflects the effort they put into the website.

Here's a test for you, show me one member with a very high positive reputation who does not contribute something very positive to NetWeather as a whole. Go on, you're so convinced that anyone can get a high rep by just posting agreeable posts. It doesn't work like that. With all due respect you're a fool for thinking it does work like that.

Whilst agree that a lot of posters with their reputations in the high hundreds do contribute a lot to this forum, i still belive that if i had set out to i could easily have had a 3 figure score on here now, maybe even close to 2 hundred, just by posting charts and predicting weather that people want to see rather than ones they dont. Eg the T384 charts with stonking Northerlys i was posting in Feb were getting plus points wheras the ones from mid march onwards were getting minus points regardless of any reasoning. Im not one bit bothered what reputation i get to be honest and if i am very honest then i would admit i dont go into enough detail most of the time and dont really deserve a plus 30 or whatever i have got now but i could easily have 5 folded that had i just reversed on the 1st of march from posting wintry charts to posting every single long fetch southerly / HP centred over UK chart that came out.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Couldn't agree more. Next we'll all be told to add NW as a Facebook 'friend', and to 'follow' the Twitter feed, and all that other online 'popularity contest' twaddle. I've been on here for seven years because it's generally well run, well moderated and (most of the time) the posting is 'grown up' and well worth reading if you have an interest in UK weather. I'm perfectly capable myself of deciding whether a post is worthy of my attention/consideration or not, and certainly don't need any ranking system to tell me that. But hey ho if that's what the majority want it won't put me off as long as the positive reasons I've already mentioned for reading the forums don't change, I can just ignore it !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Couldn't agree more. Next we'll all be told to add NW as a Facebook 'friend', and to 'follow' the Twitter feed, and all that other online 'popularity contest' twaddle. I've been on here for seven years because it's generally well run, well moderated and (most of the time) the posting is 'grown up' and well worth reading if you have an interest in UK weather. I'm perfectly capable myself of deciding whether a post is worthy of my attention/consideration or not, and certainly don't need any ranking system to tell me that. But hey ho if that's what the majority want it won't put me off as long as the positive reasons I've already mentioned for reading the forums don't change, I can just ignore it !

Totally agree with your first line mate. The Facebook generation is what is killing this country, along with text speak, reliance on the state and over population.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I don't normally comment, as I feel I learn more by reading and asking questions privately- but this is a weather forum and not a cold lovers forum!

Without going into great detail, some of the comments on the Model Thread have been childish and non productive to say the least. As a result, that thread has gone from being extremely interesting for debate about what the models are showing to- Here a chart in Fantasy Island showing a -5 isotherm near the UK- it's going to snow- be raw- no summer weather in sight. Are these idiot posters going to put up FI charts showing the 0 isotherm near Greenland in July and say "If only it was a few hundred miles to the East we've have some snow?"

Frankly it's pathetic- and if John Holmes has given up on that thread (as hinted above), I can't say I blame him.

Rant over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Totally agree with your first line mate. The Facebook generation is what is killing this country, along with text speak, reliance on the state and over population.

:lol:. I'm sorry, but how?

Posted

The Facebook generation is what is killing this country, along with text speak, reliance on the state and over population.

Good gracious!

As you'll notice, the negative post option has been removed. If you would like to see its return, then you can phone the Netweather premium-rate phone line, pressing option 1, 7, 4, 5, 5 and finally 6. Calls cost from 5p, unless you're using a landline or a mobile, in which case it'll be £10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Good gracious!

As you'll notice, the negative post option has been removed. If you would like to see its return, then you can phone the Netweather premium-rate phone line, pressing option 1, 7, 4, 5, 5 and finally 6. Calls cost from 5p, unless you're using a landline or a mobile, in which case it'll be £10.

Darn, I just through to Cannon and Ball at Safestyle UK. Thats just cost me £3000 in new windows. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Posted

Good gracious!

I hope it's not one of these offshore call centres.

Posted

As I said before, I don't believe all the positive points gained is all down to people just liking cold ramping posts but when reading the model thread, you can clearly see a distint pattern forming unfortunately. I can't speak for other parts of the forum, I was merely talking about the model thread, I perhaps should of made this clearer in my post.

I could find one member(Ian Brown) with a very low reputation points who did contribute to the model thread fairly well in the 2nd half of winter but because of the content of his post and his negative views on any future cold spells(I seem to recall he kept on predicting the Atlantic will roar back in and could be with us for a few weeks), it did not went well with the majority members of the forum and they voted his post as a negative. Of course I know about his infamous theory regarding cold winters and that probably worked against him also but he used to be on the Forecast Team in the past so surely he got some knowledge on the models yet you would not think that with all the negative ratings. Anyways, the negative rating is thankfully gone(And it should stay away this time!) and whilst I believe in having a view whether a post is good enough or not, I don't think the rep system is the way to go to highlight such a view.

Posted

I've got an "excellent" reputation, but I don't see myself as being a particularly contributing poster. I mainly just post my local weather reports and sit in the sports zone! I am hoping that will change though as I become more knowledgeable and confident in meteorology.

Edited by Nick L

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

(model thread)

i note one liners say say someting trite but popular are still getting +ive ratings whilst some very well rounded, unbiased posts are getting ignored...

i still dont get why nw have this facility, its meaningless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I still think that If we are to have a rating system (which I fully support) then it is only fair that there is a negative rating option as well as it gives a true reflection to newer members of what is best to read. I know that certain people were targeted for ramping cold, but maybe it should just be made clear that the rating system is not for targeting people who don't like warmth?

I think it should be brought back, maybe with a reason option if you are going to neg someone's post like on other forums, and then at least everyone can see why that post was negged... or another option would be to make it like Facebook where your name shows if you've liked a post or disliked it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

My two pence worth..like any forum and like life in general its not what you know..its who you know..whether you care to admit or not every forum has their little cliques that go on..and reputation points just serves to reinforce this...unwittingly probably but it just does.

My two pence worth..like any forum and like life in general its not what you know..its who you know..whether you care to admit or not every forum has their little cliques that go on..and reputation points just serves to reinforce this...unwittingly probably but it just does.

I would agree wholeheartedly with this if the rep points were shown next to the post count (for example) but you have to dig to see who has what in terms of rep points.

You are right that there are always cliques in every walk of life, but I'm not sure that there is a rep points clique?

Posted

I'd quite like the option on the settings to see what of your posts have gained a positive (or indeed negative) reputation. I'm not bothered about who has liked or disliked a comment, but it would be nice (for those who post many comments per day on here) to see what has been popular or not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

maybe we could have a little menu.. so when we click the+positive button on that post to give 1 point, then maybe we then should give a reason, this can be for example 3 choices , giving a one word reason to why you like that post, maybe someone clicked the + because they found it gave good information to that thread, or clicked because they are a cold weather fan!!:whistling: you know what im talking about here! some posters click for any reason other than because a post was full of info.. not that thats a problem, fair play, but i would also like to see who got rewarded for informative/technical post and who got points for another reason. i don't expect points for this post :whistling::rofl:

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I would agree wholeheartedly with this if the rep points were shown next to the post count (for example) but you have to dig to see who has what in terms of rep points.

You are right that there are always cliques in every walk of life, but I'm not sure that there is a rep points clique?

I think certain areas of the forum have cliques that are reflected by the reputation points- the Model Output Discussion (people getting points according to whether they favour/promote cold/snow in winter and Mediterranean weather in spring and summer) and the climate area (people getting points according to whether they're pro and anti-AGW). But I don't think the rep points cause the cliques, they reflect them. In most areas of the forum though I think reputation points do tend to be given primarily for the right reasons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

on the model discussion thread the ratings a joke.... you get people voting a + just because someone says 'its looking chilly', but other well thought out accounts of the models get sweet fa... like member damianslaw who daily posts a great unbiased account of what the models show, but because he isnt championing either a heatwave or chill he scores nowt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

It has probably been said before but if you show the member who gives the positive or negative points that will firstly reduce the number of voters and second make them think before voting up or down a post. Cheers foz.

on the model discussion thread the ratings a joke.... you get people voting a + just because someone says 'its looking chilly', but other well thought out accounts of the models get sweet fa... like member damianslaw who daily posts a great unbiased account of what the models show, but because he isnt championing either a heatwave or chill he scores nowt.

Damianslaw has a rep rating of +288 points which is very high, so you must be missing something Rob :unknw: