Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi Paul or someone in authority. :help:

As we all know, there is no longer an ability to get negative reputation points, however, is there still an opportunity for negative rep to be incorporated and assessed? :good:

I personally think we need to find a balance here as the current system still seems wrong.

For example, when folk post the hated one sided "what 95% plus of folk wish to see comments" weatherwise in the MOD thread they can achieve high reputation points, easily. Conversely, folk who frequently put up sensible balanced outlooks or have generally, more technical ability in reading and understanding models/synopsis/global patterns will not! This is plain wrong.

What I would like to suggest to Paul and others in charge of the current system is can we please not change it to also give out negative rep points but not quite as before.

In order to achieve this I would suggest the following.

1. Points deducted when going against relevant forum rules, examples would include childish backstabbing of other members, a whole post being off topic, persistant posting of handpicked charts/links etc. with no other comments.

2. When users click the Ignore feature (which I've personally never used) against particular posts, thereby earning a deduction of points.

3. There could be a different level of points deducted or even earned where MODS feel it is appropriate.

4. The less technical forums such as general chat should, I believe, be more lienient in this regard.

5. With the ability to earn both Negative Points and Positive Points in your score and no limit to your score in either direction, this should help consistency.

Apologies, if this has all come up before but I feel when autumn arrives and the forum gos into overdrive again, this could be a fascinating opportunity to undertake. :pardon:

I'm sure no-one in here would object to the MODS doing the scoring themselves as part of their managing of the boards. Most importantly i would say is to undertake the system behind the scenes so posters would not be able to see the points being deducted/earned.

Perhaps, just an occasional email might be necessary to illustrate the board's reasons?

Personally, I wouldn't care whether I earn positive or negative points myself and asmy current score of 16 probably concurs, I am possibly ranked well down the list anyway. I just believe the ones that deserve the credit, would in this way, get the credit too.

I appreciate the folk on here are very busy at the best of times but do you not think this might work!

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions GTLTW, unfortunately we're bound by what's technically possible on here currently and as such our 3 options are: no rep points, positive rep points only or positive+negative rep points, and the only way they can be applied is in the current way.

That said there is a fairly major forum upgrade on the way within the next couple of months or so and that does offer some more flexibility with the system and smooths out some of the rough edges the current system has, so hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of that when it becomes available.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thanks for the suggestions GTLTW, unfortunately we're bound by what's technically possible on here currently and as such our 3 options are: no rep points, positive rep points only or positive+negative rep points, and the only way they can be applied is in the current way.

That said there is a fairly major forum upgrade on the way within the next couple of months or so and that does offer some more flexibility with the system and smooths out some of the rough edges the current system has, so hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of that when it becomes available.

Thanks Paul for getting back to me so speedily.

If you can dish out positive and negative points at the same time, is it not possible to give 1 positive and 2 negative points reuslting in -1. Anyway, I expect I'm reading that wrong. :whistling:

Good to hear the future plans for Netweather and looking forward to the good times ahead, albeit in difficult times.

I hope I've given you some "food for thought" and maybe my idea or yours could be put to a poll later on?

Thanks again.

Tony aka gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

3. There could be a different level of points deducted or even earned where MODS feel it is appropriate.

I really don't see any logical reason why the system is necessary anyway. And as for three, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I really don't see any logical reason why the system is necessary anyway. And as for three, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'd have given you -ve reps for that. If reps aren't important to you, why are you bothered by them?

Posted

It's their board, their forum etc. and we abide by their rules, unless of course, you belong to a certain newspaper corporation and taht won't apply.

No. 3 option would where Paul etc. could issue different levels of punishment, ok sounds harsh but it would work!

Anyway WS, you have never posted anything that isn't relevant, so you would have nothing to fear.

BTW I had to look that phrase up on google, please use plain english for dunces like me. :whistling:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

BTW I had to look that phrase up on google, please use plain english for dunces like me. :whistling:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

count me in with that request

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

why can't i see anyone's reputation points?

Yes. I found that a good indicator of whether they were a good, sensible poster or a trouble maker...:lol:

Also, why is the number of times you can rate a post positively now limited? The number of good posts in a day can be a lot more than the seemingly small number of times you can rate.

I can understand why not being able to post negatively is a good thing, but limits on +'ing a post seems strange.

Posted

click on green thing next to user name, yours is 90

it disappeared for a while, now its back and so is the negative rep button!.....:(

Posted

it disappeared for a while, now its back and so is the negative rep button!.....:(

I noticed that. I assume there must be some sort of quality control if the negative figures reach a certain level?

Posted

I noticed that. I assume there must be some sort of quality control if the negative figures reach a certain level?

like a ban? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Why has the negative button gone now?