Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Posted

Being relatively new on here I'm rather intrigued by the reputation rating included in members profiles. What exactly does it mean and how is the figure and additional comment calculated?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If you got positive rep it means you like cold weather in winter and warm weather in summer. If you got negative rep it means you like mild weather in winter and cool weather in summer. It shouldn't be that way but sadly it is!

Posted

If you got positive rep it means you like cold weather in winter and warm weather in summer. If you got negative rep it means you like mild weather in winter and cool weather in summer. It shouldn't be that way but sadly it is!

It's got mine wrong then.:D How does the number rating work? The higher the number the more extreme views.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Im not sure but it might be to do with likes and dislikes of posts and how many posts you have overall that are neutral or replied to, as well as maybe the amout of comments on your wall and status?? just a guess :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It's got mine wrong then.:D How does the number rating work? The higher the number the more extreme views.

Your reputation is based on the number of positive and negative recommendations made against all of your posts.

These are the green and red buttons you see to the bottom right hand side of each post.

If someone likes your post, or finds it highly informative, they may choose to recommend it by clicking the green button. The total number received for that post shows as a number above the buttons. Negative numbers (shown in red) indicate how many have disagreed or found the post inappropriate. Green shows the opposite.

Naturally, you are unable to recommend your own posts.

Your reputation is the sum of the positive and negative recommendations. Therefore, if across all of your posts you have received 100 positive recs and 50 negative, your reputation will be +50, and so on.

I think the reputation idea is quite good as it gives, in particular, new members the ability to gauge the reputation and how accurate their posts are likely to be.

BUT, you will find some areas of the forum use their 'powers' some what differently. There is in appropriate use which is highly frustrating, yet nevertheless a fact of life!

Posted

Thanks for that. I'm not sure that "accurate" necessarily covers many posts and I'm afraid I find any valuation as subjective as this rather pointless. Not that it particularly concerns me I hasten to add but I was just curious.

EDIT.

Just had a quick look and I see JH is in the stratosphere. I'll have to bring that down a tad.:D

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Just had a quick look and I see JH is in the stratosphere. I'll have to bring that down a tad.:D

Its quieter up there Fred, away from the razz-mataz, or whatever, of the model thread!

Posted

Funnily enough we've been discussing the reputation system within the team area recently as it was bought online as an experiment really since we didn't know how it would be used.

My opinion (which I think possibly differs a fair bit from others in the team!), is that there's actually no wrong or right when it comes to the system - some people will mark a post up or down because they agree or disagree with it, some people may mark posts up or down because the post has something within it that they do or don't want to see (like a forecast for snow in winter or storms in summer!), some mark posts entirely on their merits, the effort they perceive as having been put into a post and what it adds to the debate, and so on.

I don't subscribe to the view that they should be used in a specific way - a vote is a vote, an opportunity to express a view with a simple tick in the box or in this case click of a button without having to provide a justification.

Whether they add anything to the forum is another debate, and again maybe I'm seeing things differently to others but I see them as an opportunity for those who may not want to post (for whatever reason) to at least have some involvement in the debate, and it should help remove some clutter from the forums as it can be used as a quick way of registering thanks (or no thanks) for a post.

I guess they can cause some friction, as people obviously don't like getting negative votes and wonder why others get loads of positive votes at times, but then again comments in posts can cause friction too - so that's not a new problem on here or indeed the vast majority of other forums. We do also have limits in place - only 1 negative vote is allowed per member per day which should stop people abusing the system and in effect using it as a way of 'bullying' others.

I'd like to think they can be a positive tool on the forum for people to use should they wish, but time will tell on that front!

I'd like to think they can be a positive tool on the forum for people to use should they wish, but time will tell on that front!

I think some people confuse the reputation tool with a tool which indicates the experience of the poster or the correctness of the poster. It just shows people like what you say.

In many ways the most important element is the negative rep button, it gives forum members a chance to register disapproval without getting involved in a needless slanging match, which is very important in the model thread in winter.

People shouldn't get hung up on their own reputation level, I've got a positive rating of +134 and (as many others will confirm) this does not reflect any level of weather expertise, it just shows that I'm good at bribing people to vote for me...:unknw: :lol:

Posted

I think some people confuse the reputation tool with a tool which indicates the experience of the poster or the correctness of the poster. It just shows people like what you say.

Which is exactly why I don't like the whole reputation thing... It was abused during the latter part of Winter when anyone dared suggested the whole of the UK wouldnt be covered in snow (which was fact) yet anyone suggesting Armageddon 17 days in advance ended up with a reputation post of about +15.

Which is exactly why I don't like the whole reputation thing... It was abused during the latter part of Winter when anyone dared suggested the whole of the UK wouldnt be covered in snow (which was fact) yet anyone suggesting Armageddon 17 days in advance ended up with a reputation post of about +15.

So I could have saved myself £2,000 on bribes by just posting about a false snowmageddon?

No, seriously, I know what you're saying, but the scenario you outline is quite extreme. I know that members like Ian Brown suffered severe negative post scores at times but is there any solid evidence that the system was routinely abused? I would estimate that it is far easier to suffer a negative rating for unsubstantiated posts than it is to earn a positive rating for well argued points?

It would be interesting to see a full list of reputation scores by member from highest to lowest to see if this is true? Is there any way to sort a member list on rep scores?? Paul??

I'm pretty sure most of my positive rep points came from spending not inconsiderable time putting together posts with multiple charts within the Scottish regional thread...most people are genuine and most react warmly to well argued points.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I'm not convinced by the reputation system, it is open to abuse but the moderators and adminstrators could use it very subtly as it can expose potential troublemakers. I'm not going to name names but there are one or two posters on this site who get often -ve scoring for their posts and it just so happens that they have been kicked off or at least have been discplined on another site that I moderate on and I know they have been ruptions surrounding them on a further site.

Coincidence?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

It seemed to me that at times some posters were far more interested in their reputation rather than what they were posting about. I think overall it is beneficial, but agree with snow ravens point about last winter. But I guess that is always going to happen in a snow lovers forum.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I'm not convinced by the reputation system, it is open to abuse but the moderators and adminstrators could use it very subtly as it can expose potential troublemakers. I'm not going to name names but there are one or two posters on this site who get often -ve scoring for their posts and it just so happens that they have been kicked off or at least have been discplined on another site that I moderate on and I know they have been ruptions surrounding them on a further site.

Coincidence?

Well since I haven't found generally one person offensive on here (Okay everybody goes into nonsense mode ever so often) I would suspect it's people who just hate that particular poster. You yourself post on more than one forum so I could fall out with you and just put negative feedback ever so often.

If people get kicked off becuase some people disagree with them doesn't say much for the freedom of speech really does it.

Posted

Just to point out that nobody gets kicked off this forum because of disagreements!

Over the course of the past 12 months, I can only think of one member who's received a permanent ban, and a handful who've been given temporary ones. So less of the freedom of speech stuff....or I'll ban you.

Posted

Well since I haven't found generally one person offensive on here (Okay everybody goes into nonsense mode ever so often) I would suspect it's people who just hate that particular poster. You yourself post on more than one forum so I could fall out with you and just put negative feedback ever so often.

If people get kicked off becuase some people disagree with them doesn't say much for the freedom of speech really does it.

Just to make a general observation. I find this forum very much a stroll in the park ( very similar to a mining forum I'm a member of ) unlike some. I was a member for some years of a number of forums on the OU web site and war zone fails miserable to desribe it. Red cards were the order of the day, I even received two or three myself, ( I know it's very difficult to believe :whistling:) and on one occasion legal action was threatened. I just don't see the need for a reputation system but if the team feel it serves a purpose then I don't have a problem with that. Of course I might revise my opinion when my score reaches -50.

Posted

Just to point out that nobody gets kicked off this forum because of disagreements!

Over the course of the past 12 months, I can only think of one member who's received a permanent ban, and a handful who've been given temporary ones. So less of the freedom of speech stuff....or I'll ban you.

Oon you've missed the point. Mr data I feel was expressing the view that people are getting negative feedback simply becuase someone disagrees with the post. He then expressed the view that mods may use a cumulative negative feedback as part of their judgement when dealing with people.

I wasn't saying that is the case just saying if so it wasn't the best way of using the system.

Now lets put loads of negative feedback against your post. heh heh.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
tit for tat feedback!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

People shouldn't get hung up on their own reputation level, I've got a positive rating of +134 and (as many others will confirm) this does not reflect any level of weather expertise, it just shows that I'm good at bribing people to vote for me...:unknw: :lol:

Where do you find what rep you or others are on ?

Posted

. Mr data I feel was expressing the view that people are getting negative feedback simply becuase someone disagrees with the post. He then expressed the view that mods may use a cumulative negative feedback as part of their judgement when dealing with people.

I don't think mushymanrob is the most popular poster with a lot of cold weather fans during the winter months but he doesn't get a lot of -ve points. I don't see -10 and -15 scores with his posts. The reason why I think is he is sincere and honest with his posts. Lets face it, cold ramping outweighs mild ramping by a stretch, so you would think mushymanrob would get a pasting with -ve points but he doesn't.

The thing that I have noticed is that two members on this site who I know have caused problems on other sites seem to get -ve responses. Now is it because people disagree with them or can they see through a web of deceipt and insincerity?

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Just click on your name or anyone else's and it'll show in their profile.

Thanks, never 'seen' my profile before.

I must have written my profile on the day I joined in early Jan 08

Given recent winters I dont watch for snow under lamp posts at 4am any more, need to change that to 2am :rolleyes:

Posted

Oon you've missed the point. Mr data I feel was expressing the view that people are getting negative feedback simply becuase someone disagrees with the post. He then expressed the view that mods may use a cumulative negative feedback as part of their judgement when dealing with people.

I wasn't saying that is the case just saying if so it wasn't the best way of using the system.

Now lets put loads of negative feedback against your post. heh heh.

I hope that you will allow me to try to explain the situation.

As moderators, our aim is to try make the forum as enjoyable as possible for everyone on here. OK, sometimes we get things wrong, but we are all dedicated and all of us try our hardest to do what we believe will acheive the best possible outcome. We have introduced the reputation system because, given the feedback, we believe it may enhance the forum. However, if you feel that something isn't working, my advice would be to contact a member of the team. We don't bite and are always happy to listen to your thoughts or suggestions. So, please, don't hesitate to contact us if you feel that you have an idea that may help to make Netweather a better place to spend your time.

Having spent many hours on other forums, I'm proud to be able to say that we have a community here that other weather forums would be envious of. So let's keep it that way by being honest and open with each other. Let us know what you want and we'll do our best to oblige

Regards :)

Brian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

As a member of the forum team during the past winter months, I wholeheartedly agree with Brian's post, there's a whole lot more to the daily upkeep of the forum than some might realise, the 'reputation' add on is a good addition, for the reasons already stated plus it can also help new forum members establish posters credentials & experience..As with all things, it's not perfect, but as Paul mentioned, there is a limit on how many 'reputation points' can be made by any member on posts during a 24 hour period..This helps stopping what I call 'Shotgun votes'

Posted

I noticed one thing if you click on the wrong one you can't reverse it.

I don't think mushymanrob is the most popular poster with a lot of cold weather fans during the winter months but he doesn't get a lot of -ve points. I don't see -10 and -15 scores with his posts. The reason why I think is he is sincere and honest with his posts. Lets face it, cold ramping outweighs mild ramping by a stretch, so you would think mushymanrob would get a pasting with -ve points but he doesn't.

The thing that I have noticed is that two members on this site who I know have caused problems on other sites seem to get -ve responses. Now is it because people disagree with them or can they see through a web of deceipt and insincerity?

Perhaps I'm responding to recent grumbles people have made which gives the impression they were marked on from what they posted because people didn't like them saying warm or cold depending on what is flavour of the season.

Although I haven't seen it here I've seen it on other forums where a person has been followed from one forum to another by people who dislike them and soon as they post the other person is straight there. How do we know the same thing isn't happening?